PDA

View Full Version : is this guy monfil's brother?

dozu
05-25-2010, 07:16 AM
looks and plays and dresses alike :)

logicflawed
05-25-2010, 07:17 AM
they were saying some call him mini monfils! :)

tennisoh
05-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Same initials too.

sh@de
05-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Wow he REALLY plays like monfils haha.

Sandwichman
05-25-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm watching it rights now, this is madness. . . he looks exactly like Monfils!!!!!

Snipergene
05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm watching it rights now, this is madness. . . he looks exactly like Monfils!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing.:)

sureshs
05-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Sort of like a poor man's Monfils.

MrFlip
05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Sort of like a poor man's Monfils.

In a couple of years perhaps Gael Monfils 2.0.

- Minus the injury causing sliding
- Different court surface play
- Attempts more winners

OddJack
05-25-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree with Carillo when she said he looks to be better than Monfils. Monfils is fun to watch but also much of a showman, a little too emotional. Too many dives and then injuries. This guy appears to be smarter. However his future is, he put up a good fight. Won more games than world #7 did against the KOC.

iloveROGER
05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I heared the commentator said that he's only 14 yrs old
and currently ranked like 600.

But from some rally in the first few games of the opening set,
he aint that "green" at all and can even switch from defence to
offence in a mini sec and finish with some winners.

Is he gonna be promising in the next few yrs to come ?

MichaelChang
05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
I heared the commentator said that he's only 14 yrs old
and currently ranked like 600.

But from some rally in the first few games of the opening set,
he aint that "green" at all and can even switch from defence to
offence in a mini sec and finish with some winners.

Is he gonna be promising in the next few yrs to come ?

think he is 18, not 14.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-25-2010, 05:55 PM
yeah, hes 18
didnt look too great today, but flashes of brilliance may show great things to come

Overheadsmash
05-25-2010, 06:12 PM
He put up a decent fight against Rafa.

Tennis_Monk
05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
But he managed to win against Rafa today...shockingly

i mean a few games..

pabletion
05-25-2010, 06:43 PM
But he managed to win against Rafa today...shockingly

i mean a few games..

thats winning alrite..., I mean, he didnt get bageled by Nadal at the French......, unlike ehmmmmmmm some others...... *cough* FEDERER! *cough*

gavna
05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Kid won the Orange Bowl 18's last year and i think he was #2 or 3 ranked Jr - another connection to Gael is that Mina is also from Guadeloupe (Monfils father born there and his mom in Martinique)

The French federation has huge hopes for him thus the WC into Roland Garros - we watched him in Miami last year and he seems much more balanced and not as flaky as Gasquet or Monfils he was super nice off the court as well.
Hell just watching him hit at the baseline and not 25ft behind is a joy.

Obviously the Kid a huge fan of Gael - I wonder how soon before he switches to KSwiss???:)

Baselineg
05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
yes they're brothers from another mother.

TheTruth
05-25-2010, 07:29 PM
I agree with Carillo when she said he looks to be better than Monfils. Monfils is fun to watch but also much of a showman, a little too emotional. Too many dives and then injuries. This guy appears to be smarter. However his future is, he put up a good fight. Won more games than world #7 did against the KOC.

I do too. He played a much smarter match than Monfils does on a regular basis. Although a showman, he kept his head in the match and not on a highlight reel. He was fun to watch, hope he keeps it up.

TennisNinja
05-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah my friend and I were both, "Dude, Monfils' bro!"

bolo
05-25-2010, 07:32 PM
From one viewing he doesn't really play like monfils.

SoBad
05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I watched the first set, and was impressed. He's obviously groomed (whether on his own initiative or the sponsors') to look and dress like Monfils, but that's where the similarity ends. He seems much more mature and disciplined than Monfils, despite being younger. I hope his career reflects that.

AlexTennisAllDayLong
05-25-2010, 07:43 PM
young almost beat davydenko one time too in one of his first atp tournaments i think, not so much after that lol.

this guy was good, Nadal overpowered him for sure.

Mansewerz
05-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Pics anyone?????

SoBad
05-25-2010, 07:55 PM
young almost beat davydenko one time too in one of his first atp tournaments i think, not so much after that lol.

this guy was good, Nadal overpowered him for sure.

Young has size issues and more importantly guidance/parenting issues. Mina doesn't seem to have those issues. Of course, he might have other issues that we are not aware of.

_maxi
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Old pic of mini monfils http://www.fuebuena.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/gianni-mina.jpg

Vyse
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
This guy could end up being alot better than Gael. He hits harder and goes for more and it doesn't look like he will be as injury prone. Only 18. Pretty impressive.

BallJam92
05-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I don't think this guy has much of a future. I highly doubt he'll ever make the top 50. His technique is so flawed compared to almost all the pros in the top 50.

SoBad
05-25-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't think this guy has much of a future. I highly doubt he'll ever make the top 50. His technique is so flawed compared to almost all the pros in the top 50.

Hello Arthur - welcome to the TTW forums. Don't be so bitter - you'll enjoy your experience more.;)

BallJam92
05-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Hello Arthur - welcome to the TTW forums. Don't be so bitter - you'll enjoy your experience more.;)

First of all, my name's not Arthur. Second of all, I'm not being bitter, I am just stating my opinion. Lastly, the reason you posted this is to try to get in a dispute with me because you are trying to get your post number up so that you can eventually become a "legend" or whatever the heck you call it.

SoBad
05-25-2010, 08:43 PM
First of all, my name's not Arthur. Second of all, I'm not being bitter, I am just stating my opinion. Lastly, the reason you posted this is to try to get in a dispute with me because you are trying to get your post number up so that you can eventually become a "legend" or whatever the heck you call it.

You sound like someone who got banned for spamming this forum trying to get their post count up. As for stating your opinion, nothing wrong with that, but you may wish to try to substantiate it next time if you want to avoid giving the impression of someone who is bitter and worthless. Just my opinion.

BallJam92
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
You sound like someone who got banned for spamming this forum trying to get their post count up. As for stating your opinion, nothing wrong with that, but you may wish to try to substantiate it next time if you want to avoid giving the impression of someone who is bitter and worthless. Just my opinion.

Your accusing me of getting banned for spamming this forum? You're the guy with way over 2,000 posts. And I did back up my point by saying that his technque isn't as good as most top 50 pros. I didn't just say something like "he isn't good enough." If you want me to more specific, I think his overly compact forehand (where he tries to hit a heavy ball that isn't that heavy) and leaning back backhand won't cut it for the top 50.

Scientist
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
This guy hits a big, big forehand with a far western grip for spin, he cranked it up many times during the match and it was pretty consistent. The backhand was not as big and seemed more a defensive shot, and he likes to do that jumping two-hander which I think is useless and betrays a lack of footwork. The serve is pretty substandard but it's a more traditional movement than a guy like Monfils' so I think will improve.

This guy will probably do better than D. Young simply because he looks so good on clay, has better coaching, and seems hungrier.

Larrysümmers
05-25-2010, 09:29 PM
i really thought they messed up and it was a typo

i hope he has a great future, he has the shots

SoBad
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Your accusing me of getting banned for spamming this forum? You're the guy with way over 2,000 posts. And I did back up my point by saying that his technque isn't as good as most top 50 pros. I didn't just say something like "he isn't good enough." If you want me to more specific, I think his overly compact forehand (where he tries to hit a heavy ball that isn't that heavy) and leaning back backhand won't cut it for the top 50.

I didn’t accuse you of anything – I said you sound like someone who has been banned for spamming this forum, and you do. Your daily posting rate is higher than mine, and quality is conspicuously lacking so far. If your forehand is better than Mina’s, post the vid in the tips/instructions, so that people can help you edge toward the top of the 3.0 level. I’d say welcome to the forums, but I doubt you’ll last, so enjoy your time here while you can. Cheers.

Halba
05-25-2010, 09:32 PM
I didn’t accuse you of anything – I said you sound like someone who has been banned for spamming this forum, and you do. Your daily posting rate is higher than mine, and quality is conspicuously lacking so far. If your forehand is better than Mina’s, post the vid in the tips/instructions, so that people can help you edge toward the top of the 3.0 level. I’d say welcome to the forums, but I doubt you’ll last, so enjoy your time here while you can. Cheers.

definitely good potential. had break points (7) against king of clay in first set.

SoBad
05-25-2010, 09:37 PM
definitely good potential. had break points (7) against king of clay in first set.

Full credit to Mina, but I also had the impression that Nadal wasn’t necessarily playing his very best? I mean, he was determined to win the match and all, but not at the expense of completely embarrassing the Q and inciting the local crowd? Kind of looked like Mina was going all out, while Nadal was kind of just practicing some shots?

BallJam92
05-25-2010, 09:40 PM

I was talking about his forehand technique compared to the TOP 50 PROS NOT MY FOREHAND GENIUS. And by the way, I'm not a 3.0, I'm 5.5 player from Sacramento who got a Division I scholarship.

SoBad
05-25-2010, 09:53 PM
I was talking about his forehand technique compared to the TOP 50 PROS NOT MY FOREHAND GENIUS. And by the way, I'm not a 3.0, I'm 5.5 player from Sacramento who got a Division I scholarship.

I do admire your stated skill, but still stand by my statement that posting a vid on tips/instructions would likely get you some advice on advancing toward the upper level of the 3.0 range. Wouldn’t be too different from your critique of Mina’s forehand technique actually.;)

Spin-A-Lot
05-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Some people just can't help being negative about somebody...I think for an 18 year old against the No 2 in one of the Major Slam and not get bagelled is quite a feat if you ask me :)

World Beater
05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
this kid is good. was impressed.

BallJam92
05-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Some people just can't help being negative about somebody...I think for an 18 year old against the No 2 in one of the Major Slam and not get bagelled is quite a feat if you ask me :)

I'm not that impressed about him for specific reasons that I mentioned earlier. And I'm not negative on many other up and comers such as Dogopolov Jr. and Ryan Harrison. I think those guys have a lot of potential.