PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's Watch

baseline_monster
05-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Any idea what the deal is with the watch Rafa is wearinf during matches? Watching him at the moment and the commentators say its a big deal and he has a deal for the next year to wear it. Any idea what it is?

jrod
05-25-2010, 08:43 AM
http://slanchreport.com/2010-articles/may/nadal-to-play-french-open-with-500k-watch-on.html

Spin-A-Lot
05-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Here you go :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=328901&highlight=Nadal%27s+watch

ruripi
05-25-2010, 08:47 AM
So-arrogant....

baseline_monster
05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
oh ok thanks guys

logicflawed
05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Did anyone else notice that Nadal's got a shorter sweatband on his right wrist?
I wonder if Nike will release that set for sale... I'd be interested in a matching set, because I actually wear my wristbands this way with a watch sometimes when I play, but I just wear whatever colors that I have close by.

babolat king
05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
i hope roddick bounces an overhaed off of it!

rovex
05-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Did anyone else notice that Nadal's got a shorter sweatband on his right wrist?
I wonder if Nike will release that set for sale... I'd be interested in a matching set, because I actually wear my wristbands this way with a watch sometimes when I play, but I just wear whatever colors that I have close by.

I noticed it too. Im surprised he's aloud to wear the watch. BUt looks strange to me to have a watch and wristband on when playing.

logicflawed
05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
It does, and it feels weird too. But there are times when I need to keep track of time, because I only have maybe an hour to play, but I want to hit the courts for a few minutes. In Nadal's case, maybe he's using it to time himself between points :P

nicolaisidek
05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
the commentator thought it was a magnetic band. Then said it was a light weight rolex. Rolex! Lol

kevvycore
05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
if he loses at FO this will be the first to get blamed then move on to the knees.

martini1
05-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Didn't Fed wear a rolex in matches sometimes? Or just practice?

Anyway I don't think Nadal's watch will last more than a match or two. Good that he wears it on the other hand! :lol:

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Fed wears them in exos
never in real matches.

Federiffic
05-25-2010, 06:12 PM
I hope watch fall off his arm during play and cost him a match, I have no respect for man who wear 525k watch to play tennis, he makes fool of himself and sport.

Hotrocks
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
if he loses at FO this will be the first to get blamed then move on to the knees.

Get a LIFE!!! And what have you accomplished in your 24 years??? I am sure NOTHING!!!

dextor
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
TW, when will the Richard Milles be in stock?

viktorkwan
05-26-2010, 06:53 AM
the watch ain't real...it's just a paintjob of a Swatch...with some lead added

Spin-A-Lot
05-26-2010, 07:22 AM

I knew it!! :) hehehe...good one by the way ;)

Sentinel
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
TW, when will the Richard Milles be in stock?
I've put mine up on the For Sale and Trade section. $424,999 only. One dollar discount for TW members.

sir_shanks_alot
05-26-2010, 07:38 AM
So-arrogant....

Yep. Its too much. I would only play with a $399,000 watch if I was on the tour. ;)

sir_shanks_alot
05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I hope watch fall off his arm during play and cost him a match, I have no respect for man who wear 525k watch to play tennis, he makes fool of himself and sport.

100% agree. Bad idea.

Don't get me wrong, I love his game. I think he's the best clay court player ever, and Coria should have been his rival. Its ironic that a player who takes 30 seconds or more between points needs half a million dollars attached to his body to "help" him keep track of time. They (+Tony) must have pocketed quite a substantial check for this pathetic display. Especially in a time when the world is suffering economically. I don't think Federer would ever do this, but I could be wrong.

veroniquem
05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
I don't see the problem playing with a wristwatch. What has always intrigued me is how pros can play with voluminous earrings, necklaces and all kind of jewelry paraphernalia without being bothered by it. I mean a watch is fastened securely but a necklace keeps moving around. It would drive me nuts during a match!

sir_shanks_alot
05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
The point is the d4mn thing tells time, yet costs more than most people's homes.

Agree about the earings & crap. Its not a fashion show. Its a tennis court!! Its one thing to have a "special" piece of jewelry, and another to wear it for show. And the "lingerie" they wear.... how ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I look, but a tennis court isn't the place for it.

martini1
05-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Why would you say that? Athletes got sponsored/paid to wear anything from special clothing to shoes on the court for a company for marketing purposes. As along as the tournament allows watches that doesn't make a beeping sound what is the problem??

In the world of hi end watches, believe me, $500K is NOT really that exclusive.

I don't see anything out of line at all. People just over reacted as usual.

BTW, I assure you, Rafa or Fed's Nike deal is way more than the RM watch deal. Just because you can't afford the watch and it may seem inappropriate to you. What about his outfit and the racket? That is close to $500 and you know what, a lot people in this world don't even make $500 in a year or more! So when they see a picture of Rafa should they say something bad about him too? We can afford those items and we think it is no big deal, but in fact it is just as outrageous as the RM or Rolex.

We all know there is no turning back from corporation spending money on advertising, so why don't we all just move on. Don't buy the product if you don't like it.

Sentinel
05-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I hope Sir Nadal knows he has to wind that watch. ;-)

Dgpsx7
05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
It's a pretty good good looking watch.

http://www.men-access.com/rafael-nadal-wristwatch-richard-mille-rm027-he-wears-it-while-playing-tennis/

Pleepers
05-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I keep a back-up in my bag incase the first one brakes...:wink:

kimbahpnam
05-27-2010, 12:04 AM
i guess with the right price Nadal can put aside his superstitions

chancep2120
05-27-2010, 05:38 AM
hmm to be honest with you, i don't think i could tell time on it. it's just too confusing haha

Capt. Willie
05-27-2010, 07:30 AM
I bet my $40 Timex keeps just as good time, if not better.

Federiffic
05-27-2010, 08:57 AM

I don't see anything out of line at all. People just over reacted as usual.

BTW, I assure you, Rafa or Fed's Nike deal is way more than the RM watch deal. Just because you can't afford the watch and it may seem inappropriate to you. What about his outfit and the racket? That is close to $500 and you know what, a lot people in this world don't even make $500 in a year or more! So when they see a picture of Rafa should they say something bad about him too? We can afford those items and we think it is no big deal, but in fact it is just as outrageous as the RM or Rolex.

We all know there is no turning back from corporation spending money on advertising, so why don't we all just move on. Don't buy the product if you don't like it.

OK, if it not out of line, can you name me another sport star who wears 500k watch during sport.

I don't care if he has watch, he just does not need to show off watch during play. It is bad for sport and humanity for a man to do this, it is out of line and unnecessary.

martini1
05-27-2010, 06:58 PM
OK, if it not out of line, can you name me another sport star who wears 500k watch during sport.

I don't care if he has watch, he just does not need to show off watch during play. It is bad for sport and humanity for a man to do this, it is out of line and unnecessary.

You don't seem to get my point. Whether it is the watch or the clothes they wear, it is just marketing. Yes, it is very materialistic but this is beyond the point of no return. You think a $500k watch is show off, I am saying the $300 outfit is just the same thing.

Go google how many athletes wearing jewelry in their games. Gold chains, golden shoes, diamonds, these are more fleshy that a black watch with no big logo on it. Soccer is probably one of those games that no jewelry is allowed to be exposed.

An expensive watch is not necessary, even dumb IMO, but to say you hope he dropped the watch and costed him a match, that is just out of jealousy to me.

OrangeOne
05-27-2010, 07:08 PM

BS. Half a million is exclusive in the (much, much larger) world of cars, or clothing for that matter, let alone watches. If you want to pretend that there's a stratosphere of society that would say no to a 500k watch, well, you can pretend I suppose.

You don't seem to get my point. Whether it is the watch or the clothes they wear, it is just marketing. Yes, it is very materialistic but this is beyond the point of no return. You think a $500k watch is show off, I am saying the $300 outfit is just the same thing.

He has to wear clothing. And in ref to your other post, he has to use a racquet. He doesn't have any functional need for a watch, there are one or more clocks (sponsored by watch/timing companies) on every court he plays on. I don't care what it costs, it's unnecessary and that irks me a little. That said, it evidently it earns him the dollars.

Tennis_Crazed
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM

hahahah great comment! swatch with a paintjob! look at it carefully

heavy300
05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
too bad it is not automatic movement

Sentinel
05-28-2010, 12:25 AM
I've heard the watch is so expensive because its got some secret inbuilt technology so that jealous Roger can set it back by an hour (from his mansion in Switzerland or his apartment in Dubai) so that Sir Rafa is late for the FO final and thus Soderling/Murray can be the champion this year.

Wot an scandaluss outrage !

VamosSR
05-28-2010, 03:54 AM
notice that Rafa's wearing a double-wide wristband on the watch arm today.. maybe the single-wide was what made him "play bad" last match haha

martini1
05-29-2010, 05:45 PM
BS. Half a million is exclusive in the (much, much larger) world of cars, or clothing for that matter, let alone watches. If you want to pretend that there's a stratosphere of society that would say no to a 500k watch, well, you can pretend I suppose.

He has to wear clothing. And in ref to your other post, he has to use a racquet. He doesn't have any functional need for a watch, there are one or more clocks (sponsored by watch/timing companies) on every court he plays on. I don't care what it costs, it's unnecessary and that irks me a little. That said, it evidently it earns him the dollars.

No he doesn't need to wear a $300 outfit that cost $10 and tell you all kids out there to spend that kind of money so that Nike can pocket the profit. You just don't get it. Never mind.

OrangeOne
05-29-2010, 08:44 PM
No he doesn't need to wear a $300 outfit that cost $10 and tell you all kids out there to spend that kind of money so that Nike can pocket the profit. You just don't get it. Never mind.

I love how people think that things 'cost' what the 'cost' of the components is, and completely ignore all of the other associated costs with selling.

Speaking of just not getting it, my point is, he doesn't have any need for a watch at all. I understand marketing, and I can understand sports-people choosing to earn money out of labels on things they need to wear and use while performing (and whatever they want, within reason, when they're not).

What I'm disappointed to see is him wearing an accessory he doesn't need, it somewhat makes a joke of the sport. What's next? Will he cruise onto the court in a Segway? Fly in on Nike's new Jetboard? Only play in countries that reflect the Nike logo in the right light based on their longitude?

Clothing is necessary, I have no problem with it being sponsored. Racquets are necessary, ditto. Segways and Jetboards and watches - they're not performance-based tennis attire.

KLKK
06-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Feel sad about those ATP 150 or below players.....their career prize money cannot even effort a watch that Nadal wear to play.

esm
06-01-2010, 09:39 AM

feel no respect? i smell jealousy...

im sure you would wear a watch of any price backwards if you were paid to do so. actually, im sure you would wear a shirt back to front if you were sponsored and paid loads of money to do so.

whether Rafa makes a fool to himself or not, at the end of the day, he is one of the top players and has a handful of records to backup his on court skills.

NickH87
06-01-2010, 09:59 AM

You have such a simple mind its hard to believe.

What is so hard to understand that a corporation is giving you two watches and a boat load of cash to wear a tiny little watch during tennis. Is he supposed to say "no, I dont like making money because federiffic on tenniswarehouse doesnt think I should"

Get over yourself.

baseline_monster
06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
You have such a simple mind its hard to believe.

What is so hard to understand that a corporation is giving you two watches and a boat load of cash to wear a tiny little watch during tennis. Is he supposed to say "no, I dont like making money because federiffic on tenniswarehouse doesnt think I should"

Get over yourself.

Agree. People need to open there eyes here. Its the same as football/soccer, the best of the best have the huge contracts and deals as there the best in the game. If I were offered that amount of money and free watches I would take it. Also, the deals that Federer has with Rolex will probably be worth as much $$$ as Nadals, only difference being that he goes and puts the watch on strait away when he is done and makes sure its seen. Wake up people, players need and will look after there financial situation when they can, they dont play tennis forever.

lucasschneider
06-03-2010, 12:00 PM
http://slanchreport.com/2010-articles/may/nadal-to-play-french-open-with-500k-watch-on.html

That watch is unreal