PDA

View Full Version : Is there a call for such behaviour?

Speranza
05-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Holmes: Now, granted that when under physical and mental pressure, we are all susceptible to fraying moods, but I cannot help but think that we should not take out those moods in such a fashion.

Watson: Are you referring to Sir Roddick earlier today? What occured?

Holmes: I am indeed. For those that didn't see the match; at a rest period, Roddick was sat down and asked for water. Although not all the words were heard initially, the latter part was. It seemed that the young French ball boy must have gotten confused with Sir Roddick's request, for he didn't give him the water immediately. For some reason, Sir Roddick decided to openly and sarcastically comment something in the line of, "Water... Yes, confusing, isn't it?", with such a look of disdain on his face.

Watson: Ah yes, the commentator pointed out at that if the ball boy didn't speak English very well, then he may well have been somewhat confused.

Holmes: Indeed. I cannot bare such behaviour. It's a young boy doing his best no doubt, who is probably feeling the pressure far more in his position than Sir Roddick in his. What's more, no effort from Sir Roddick to speak French to the boy.

Watson: Well, I have to say that I have come across a few unsavoury comments regarding Sir Roddick in this forum, but have never witnessed anything untoward myself, until today.

Holmes: We'll see what Round 2 brings us Watson.

Sandwichman
05-25-2010, 08:10 AM
At what point of the match did it occur? Because if it was when Roddick was losing, he was probably just looking for something/someone to vent on.

Speranza
05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
At what point of the match did it occur? Because if it was when Roddick was losing, he was probably just looking for something/someone to vent on.

Holmes: If my memory serves me well, it was the 4th set. As I hinted at in my post, I too think that he was under pressure, and no doubt wanting to vent. However, from a personal point of view, I believe you shouldn't do it at a ball boy.

Still, it's easy to personalize a situation and judge people by one's own standards.

Chadwixx
05-25-2010, 08:25 AM
He does this quite often, not a surprise.

Fee
05-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Every tennis fan rightfully criticises every tennis player who ever snipes at a ballkid, and EVERY player has done it at least once in their lives, whether or not that moment happened to be caught on film.

I've seen some of the nicest players off court, who would swear up and down that they would never mouth at a ball kid, get into an intense match and then mouth off at a ball kid. Most of them know it's wrong, but they get emotional and do it anyway. (There are a few players who just don't give a damn and treat the kids like servants, especially at the Challenger level).

Andy's already acknowledged it on his twitter, said it was not one of his best moments.

jerriy
05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Rod was just a little snarky - why make a huge deal of it?

I wouldn't consider what he calmly said to the ballboy an evil mistreatment on equal footing to things like swearing or ridiculing or lashing out.

Speranza
05-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Every tennis fan rightfully criticises every tennis player who ever snipes at a ballkid, and EVERY player has done it at least once in their lives, whether or not that moment happened to be caught on film.

I've seen some of the nicest players off court, who would swear up and down that they would never mouth at a ball kid, get into an intense match and then mouth off at a ball kid. Most of them know it's wrong, but they get emotional and do it anyway. (There are a few players who just don't give a damn and treat the kids like servants, especially at the Challenger level).

Andy's already acknowledged it on his twitter, said it was not one of his best moments.

Rod was just a little snarky - why make a huge deal of it?

I wouldn't consider what he calmly said to the ballboy an evil mistreatment on equal footing to things like swearing or ridiculing or lashing out.

Holmes: Fair points. I haven't the experience that you have Fee with that many players, and I accept that what you say may well be the case. It's nice to know Sir Roddick apologized for his behaviour. I don't believe I've made the huge deal of it jerriy, but point taken about him being snarky.

As I stated initially in my post, I am sure it was the heat of the moment, and from what you say all players act differently under that pressure. It is but a wish that it did not occur, be it by Sir Roddick or any other professional.

bezs
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
On his twitter.

Apparently on a let call he asked the chair umpire if he had "Go-Go Gadget ears"
:lol:

Tennis_Monk
05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Who is Holmes? (like detective ?). If so, why is he referenced here (i like it though). Is it another way of referring to one's self in third person?

Tennis Monk likes Holmes and Watson posts by speranze.

dcdoorknob
05-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Roddick gets very snippy on the court all the time, call it a character flaw.

I don't see how this particular incident is a big deal though.

cmb
05-25-2010, 10:55 AM
De l'eau si vous plait putain de merde!!!

Carsomyr
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
On his twitter.

Apparently on a let call he asked the chair umpire if he had "Go-Go Gadget ears"

When the match becomes available on ESPN3, I'm going to watch it just so I can hear that. Classic. :lol:

YodaKnowsBest
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Do Holmes and Watson like each other?

kournacopia
05-25-2010, 11:22 AM

They're lovers.

cknobman
05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
They're lovers.

They prefer an anal assault :wink:

OddJack
05-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Roddick behavior is immature. This is the only thing he is consistent in.

Big_Dangerous
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
On his twitter.

Yeah I saw that point live I was just face palming going ****ing Roddick here we go again. He always has to have words for the chair umpire...

I'm actually surprised he didn't curse this time around.

Juges8932
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Acceptable behavior? No. Understandable behavior? Yes. Let's see: After falling two sets after a great first set, he is in a 4th [and possibly deciding] set, on the way to a tie-break in the first round none-the-less.

I'd say that's a pretty pressure-filled situation. I'm sure he was extremely thirsty and needed some water. He asks for something which is a simple request to complete. The request wasn't successful and he got annoyed. He made a sarcastic comment (that is completely in his personality anyways), but maybe not in good taste atm. But really, that's not really something to be so taken aback by. It certainly isn't the end of the world or the ball-boy. To compare trying to win a grand-slam match when you are already down a set and could possibly lose the match in the current to a ball-boy having to understand getting water and doing it is pretty damn asinine. I'm sure the ball-boys are under pressure, because I'm sure it would be intimidating for them and particularly in dealing with another language, but nothing compared to thousands of eyes [in-person], not even counting on TV watching you while you are trying to perform to your capabilities. He isn't getting any younger and has come close to achieving a lot, many times, but has simply came up short coupled with the bad luck of playing Fed. I'm sure that stuff bothers him a lot and that he thinks about it a lot.

Point is: get off your high-horses (to those who are harshly critical of Andy over this). He does a lot of great stuff for the sport and others off the court. He's competitive and sometimes it causes him to do things he shouldn't due to heat of the moment. It's natural human behavior.

Outbeyond
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
^^^Juges, it's true Andy's done good things for the sport, but he does have a temper. In fact, when he's derisive of a ballboy, for heaven's sake, it seems Andy needs to get off his own high horse.

Scientist
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
He's a cocky churl and I will never understand his appeal.

Speranza
05-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Who is Holmes? (like detective ?). If so, why is he referenced here (i like it though). Is it another way of referring to one's self in third person?

Tennis Monk likes Holmes and Watson posts by speranze.

Holmes: Dearest Tennis_Monk, I thought I'd clarify my situation. I can understand the confusion over mine and the good Doctor's appearance on the forum. However, I just wanted to clarify that I speak from a 1st person point of view. We travelled forward in time via a machine that we came across in one of our investigations! One of the many perks we've come to discover is that we can indeed go back and forth in this odd time machine.

Poor Speranza however, as we managed to arrive in his apartment out of the blue. Upon talking, it was discovered that he's a tennis fan. Being a touch partial to it ourselves, we've been amazed by this whole 'internet' thing, and he lets us sign onto this forum with his account. We thought this better than creating our own account, for obvious reasons. ;)

We're glad you enjoy, and we bid you a pleasant French Open. :)

Roddick gets very snippy on the court all the time, call it a character flaw.

I don't see how this particular incident is a big deal though.

Watson: Indeed, we agree that it is a character flaw. It is but a big deal to us as we haven't seen this behaviour before.

De l'eau si vous plait putain de merde!!!

Holmes: Il n'y a pas besoin pour les impiétés monsieur! ;)

Speranza
05-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Holmes: We have, over the years, grown accustomed to each other, but purely in a platonic aspect sir, of this I assure you.

They're lovers.

Watson: (Blushingly...) Well, I can't speak for Holmes as he keeps his physical exploits to himself, but Lady Wessex would agree with you there. Actually, she has on more than one occasion...hinted that I am indeed quite a natural and 'amazing' lover... not that I should boast about it.

Holmes: I think kournacopia was intimating that we were lovers of each other my dear Watson.

Watson: Ah! Oh...

They prefer an anal assault :wink:

Watson: Again, Lady Wessex said that-

Holmes: WATSON!

beernutz
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Some people will criticize Roddick for breathing.

Seriously, a thread because he used sarcasm? If the ball boy didn't understand English very well, how would he even know?

Speranza
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Acceptable behavior? No. Understandable behavior? Yes. Let's see: After falling two sets after a great first set, he is in a 4th [and possibly deciding] set, on the way to a tie-break in the first round none-the-less.

I'd say that's a pretty pressure-filled situation. I'm sure he was extremely thirsty and needed some water. He asks for something which is a simple request to complete. The request wasn't successful and he got annoyed. He made a sarcastic comment (that is completely in his personality anyways), but maybe not in good taste atm. But really, that's not really something to be so taken aback by. It certainly isn't the end of the world or the ball-boy. To compare trying to win a grand-slam match when you are already down a set and could possibly lose the match in the current to a ball-boy having to understand getting water and doing it is pretty damn asinine. I'm sure the ball-boys are under pressure, because I'm sure it would be intimidating for them and particularly in dealing with another language, but nothing compared to thousands of eyes [in-person], not even counting on TV watching you while you are trying to perform to your capabilities. He isn't getting any younger and has come close to achieving a lot, many times, but has simply came up short coupled with the bad luck of playing Fed. I'm sure that stuff bothers him a lot and that he thinks about it a lot.

Point is: get off your high-horses (to those who are harshly critical of Andy over this). He does a lot of great stuff for the sport and others off the court. He's competitive and sometimes it causes him to do things he shouldn't due to heat of the moment. It's natural human behaviour.

Holmes: Your first paragraph makes some valid and interesting points that work to explain WHY he Sir Roddick may well act in the manner he does.

However, I'd agree with Outbeyond in that it is Sir Roddick that needs to get of his high horse. As pointed out, it's a character flaw. Well, in our opinion, we see it as that. We don't see other players acting this way. AGAIN, as pointed out to us earlier, it does happen no doubt. Although we've never seen this before, not to the ballboys and girls.

It isn't natural human behaviour to act like that at all, in our opinion. That is the very point of this thread.

Oh, and I've admired Sir Roddick's off court personality quite a lot. He's a most amusing character, especially in interviews - both post match, and TV type interviews :)

JeMar
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Holmes: We have, over the years, grown accustomed to each other, but purely in a platonic aspect sir, of this I assure you.

Watson: (Blushingly...) Well, I can't speak for Holmes as he keeps his physical exploits to himself, but Lady Wessex would agree with you there. Actually, she has on more than one occasion...hinted that I am indeed quite a natural and 'amazing' lover... not that I should boast about it.

Holmes: I think kournacopia was intimating that we were lovers of each other my dear Watson.

Watson: Ah! Oh...

Watson: Again, Lady Wessex said that-

Holmes: WATSON!

I heart you.

You're like Chopin mixed with awesome, mixed with a touch of Serendipitous, mixed with a little bit of class.

Don't ever leave?

Speranza
05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Some people will criticize Roddick for breathing.

Seriously, a thread because he used sarcasm? If the ball boy didn't understand English very well, how would he even know?

Holmes: Beernutz, please rest assured that we will not criticize Sir Roddick for breathing. We are admirers of his play and of him in general. (More so after his loss at last year's Wimbledon Championships where we cheering for him in that last set, and felt most upset seeing him lose. This coming from Sir Federer fans is no small gesture!)

Speranza
05-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I heart you.

You're like Chopin mixed with awesome, mixed with a touch of Serendipitous, mixed with a little bit of class.

Don't ever leave?

Watson: We thank you for your compliments dear JeMar :) As long as this machine is working, we should be here a for while at least.

Holmes: Hello JeMar. Good to hear from you again! I wish we were able to use as many amusing pictures as Serendipitous...Perhaps in time ;)