PDA

View Full Version : Verdasco Now now speechless in Paris

Marius_Hancu
05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Anyone having a link to his apology?

---
By Julien Pretot

PARIS, May 25 (Reuters) - Three days after a foul-mouthed volley at French fans at the Nice tournament, Fernando Verdasco was surprisingly speechless in Paris on Tuesday.

The Spaniard hurled insults at the locals on the Riviera, calling them ‘sons of *****es’ [in clear at Yahoo, M.Hancu] and waving at them ironically as he was booed in his Nice Open final against home favourite Richard Gasquet last Saturday.

Verdasco eventually apologised through a public statement, saying he should not have lost his temper.

He got an indifferent reception from the Court Suzanne Lenglen crowd, the main reason probably being that he was opening proceedings in an almost empty stadium.

Following his 6-4 6-2 6-2 first-round win in the French Open against Russian Igor Kunitsyn, the seventh-seeded Verdasco was cautious not to fuel the controversy.

“No problem for me today. Of course you expect the worst all the time. If it’s the worst you’re not going to be disappointed, not badly surprised,” he told reporters.

“But, no, there’s nothing I can add about this. What I wanted to say I said it during the release. That’s all I had to say.”

Asked again about the incident, Verdasco just said: “Other question.”

The temperamental Spaniard, however, will be guaranteed a less polite reception in round two when he faces Frenchman Florent Serra.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=reu-openverdascooutburst_pix
---------

decades
05-25-2010, 09:42 AM
The French merely tolerate the brutish Spanish Armada for a few weeks a year....

JeMar
05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Anybody got a link to the press release he refers to?

Serendipitous
05-25-2010, 10:29 AM
The french are disgusting people. They have been for the last 700 years and nothing is going to change that.

http://threadbombing.com/data/media/20/seriousdgif.gif

World Beater
05-25-2010, 04:31 PM
tobasco is a jerk.

nothing new here...

Outbeyond
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Just when I was beginning to think highly of Nando...:(

Well, true colors. Ain't always pretty.

kishnabe
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
If the french don't cheer for him...well he doesn't have to worry...because if he were to reach the quaters to face Rafael...89 percent of the french would cheer for verdasco.

JeMar
05-25-2010, 07:23 PM
The guy's a first-class jerk. I want to see how the French react in his next match.

Tanya
05-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Who cares! He's sexy.

Scientist
05-25-2010, 08:39 PM
It's funny I never thought of him as that type of person--when I saw him during the US open series last year he was really a gracious, nice guy. Always willing to sign autographs, take pictures with fans, etc. A lot of guys on the tour hardly bother with that.

Sentinel
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
tobasco is a jerk.

nothing new here...

The guy's a first-class jerk. I want to see how the French react in his next match.
hey hey, seriously, are you saying this because of the match at Nice, or are there other incidents too. Seems like a decent chap to me (decent - wrong word considering his nude pics, hehe), seems nice generally.

JeMar
05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
hey hey, seriously, are you saying this because of the match at Nice, or are there other incidents too. Seems like a decent chap to me (decent - wrong word considering his nude pics, hehe), seems nice generally.

The match at Nice mainly, but he's generally surly on the court. I've never had an experience with him off-court, but he just doesn't seem like a pleasant character when he's out there. Then again, neither does Ferrer, but the jury's still out on him, as far as I'm concerned.

The Nice match really tells you everything you need to know about him, though. Not even Roddick has ever thrown a tirade of that magnitude.

abraxas21
05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
He already apologized guys. He made a statement and everything before his first round match.

abraxas21
05-25-2010, 09:22 PM
"After analyzing what happened in the final against Richard Gasquet Nice, I want to apologize to the fans, Gasquet himself, and of course the French public. Those who know me well know I've always had great respect for my rivals and by the public, or of the nationality that is, "he says.

"What happened was the result of the provocation of two fans in particular, that in no way represent the French public. I should never play that game and had to have been more calm and hold my nerves, what did not happen due to the stress of the game. So I repeat my apology for what happened and I regret deeply, "the player said in a statement that he signed.

http://translate.google.co.nz/transl...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

TheLoneWolf
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
He already apologized guys. He made a statement and everything before his first round match.
Yes, he did. The person who stood to lose the most by all this was Verdasco himself. The guy is really hotheaded, and that is a serious defect of his character (no excuse there.) That being said, he explained it had to do with 2 particular French fans. I believe him. There are people like that sometimes. In one match, long time ago, one of the spectators was heckling Pancho Gonzalez during a match, and he ran to the sidelines and confronted the heckler, who shut up immediately. :)

SikSerb
05-26-2010, 01:00 AM
lol Verdasco said that? Cracked me up when I first read it. Didn't realize he was like that.

vive le beau jeu !
05-26-2010, 01:14 AM
He got an indifferent reception from the Court Suzanne Lenglen crowd, the main reason probably being that he was opening proceedings in an almost empty stadium.
it might have helped (as he played early) but i think regular spectators just don't know about what happened in nice !
anyway, good for him if he apologized...
(surprisingly he didn't reiterate any apology in his 1st round interview, but maybe he's tired that journalists always tell him about this incident !)

Gen
05-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Good. Now at least part of the ugly French crowd knows what non-French people think about its behavior. Some of these "people" come to the stadium without any clue to how scoring works, and can't tell a service game from a return game. Still they scream, clap, boo ... at random. Why don't they go to Wimbledon and learn some manners?

vive le beau jeu !
05-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Good. Now at least part of the ugly French crowd knows what non-French people think about its behavior. Some of these "people" come to the stadium without any clue to how scoring works, and can't tell a service game from a return game. Still they scream, clap, boo ... at random. Why don't they go to Wimbledon and learn some manners?
take a ticket too. ;)

malakas
05-26-2010, 05:46 AM
wow I had no idea this has happened.I just watched a video what a disgraceful behaviour.I hope the french crowd boos him.It's fine to lose his temper but actually go ahead and insult a whole nation ?? what an idiot.