PDA

View Full Version : Is last years French Open final the ruin of Safina for good?

davey25
05-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I am wondering if last years French Open final loss is going to turn out to be the pivotal destruction of Safina's career like it was for Coria. She is approaching a middle aged player now and all of a sudden she is in a free fall with a one dimensional game she has pushed to its limit, no confidence, now no coach (or trying a new coach I guess), and struggling to find ways to improve. She has lost all the momentum and things she worked for years to build up such as her ranking, her status as a top player, and now she has to almost try and start from scratch again. Meanwhile that elusive Slam title which looked so tantalizingly close last year is going to require a huge effort on her part to ever win. Where does she go from here?

Had she won that French Open final with Kuznetsova last year as nearly everyone expected her to at the time things might be so different.

Juges8932
05-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I think she just really needs to work out the mental problems. If she fixes that, her game will follow suit. It's still there, it's just not able to come out with her mental block. I can see her winning a slam though, just not this year, unless she can break out of her block by the USO.

davey25
05-25-2010, 11:14 AM
I dont think it is all mental. Her game was good enough to have a chance at a slam if she could avoid Serena before. Now with Henin and Clijsters back, both Williams playing well on various surfaces right now, Sharapova trying to make a comeback, her game is not good enough to win a slam even if she were to sort out her mental problems. She needs to find ways to diversify her game, add some extra dimensions, and essentialy improve a great deal if she is to get near a slam title again.

Had she carried the confidence and momentum from winning last years French alot might have been different. She wouldnt have been bashed as the slamless #1, she would have played tournaments with more freedom and less pressure from those around her and herself. Given her pathetic over the top rankings obsession she likely would have been in a more comfortable place points wise given Serena's smart choice to focus mostly on the slams, and probably been able to take time off to heal her back injury and still end last year #1 rather than aggravating it to the point it has helped ruin her further. Lastly with this confidence and momentum it is more likely she could have continued to improve, and would have more momentum and confidence with the return to the tour or form of certain key players which stiffen the competition at top considerably.

As it is now though even strengthening her mental resolve just wont be enough. There are now multiple players are the top who are to good for her to beat even at her best as she currently is.

AM95
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
its called heart.

at the level they play at..both mens and womens tennis...EVERYONE has some sort of talent. its about how much you want to use that talent to win that helps you.

i think safina still wants to win a slam, and i this she'll manage to do it.

Telepatic
05-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Had she won that French Open final with Kuznetsova last year as nearly everyone expected her to at the time things might be so different.

Yes, but I don't think things would've been that much different..

She would probably still have that big injury which she drags from last year and it's not like we haven't already seen Ivanovic's fall after winning that first slam-RG.

joeri888
She's a *******, couldn't take seeing Fed lift the title.

OKUSA
her serve is garbage, no chance right now

MotherMarjorie
05-25-2010, 12:13 PM
No, its called a back injury. And until she gets better, he game will get worse. No need to over-analyze this one.

davey25
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Yes, but I don't think things would've been that much different..

She would probably still have that big injury which she drags from last year and it's not like we haven't already seen Ivanovic's fall after winning that first slam-RG.

You might be right but a key is she wouldnt have had the relentless media bashing (much of it deserved with her arrogant "I am a real #1", "#1 matters most" comments) for being a slamless #1. She also would have much likely been in a comfortable points position, essential with her rankings obsession, and not played through a bad back injury late last year as she did.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Safina's an overachiever who took advantage of the weak WTA field to somehow get to #1 and stay there for so long. Now it seems that injury and mental problems her time in the top 10 is up. I'd be surprised if she ever returns there.

Probably should have fired her coach last year after RG, that move was a year too late. It happens often in pro sports where a coach can get you near the top but can't get you over the hump, so to speak. That may have been the case w/ Safina and her old coach, and she's just now realized that. Unfortunately it's too little too late for her and I'd be surprised to ever see her as a slam contender again.

kishnabe
05-25-2010, 06:17 PM
If she can improve her serve...and make he volley skills improve...and psyhclogically com back from the back injury. She can maybe win a slam...and I would say at Roland Garros and nowhere else. She has all the baseline tools to win on clay!

JeMar
05-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Safina belongs in the top... 20, I'd say. 11-20 is a good place for her. She's bound to be one of those career grand slam R16ers / quarterfinalists.

jamesblakefan#1
05-25-2010, 06:25 PM
If she can improve her serve...and make he volley skills improve...and psyhclogically com back from the back injury. She can maybe win a slam...and I would say at Roland Garros and nowhere else. She has all the baseline tools to win on clay!

She just got out winnered 3 to 1 (37 to 12) by a near 40 year old on one leg. The back injury was talked about a few months ago as being potentially career ending. I don't see any way possible that she recovers mentally and physically and wins a slam.

davey25
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Safina belongs in the top... 20, I'd say. 11-20 is a good place for her. She's bound to be one of those career grand slam R16ers / quarterfinalists.

Yeah you are probably right. If womens tennis is in the process of returning to normal again shall we say after the horrors of the 2008-2009 field than someone like Safina will find her level around there presuming she regains her confidence and top game (she would need that to even be consistently around where you say). As time goes on it will become painfully apparent to her that her window was in the dreadfully weak 2008-2009 period and she did not capatilize on some of her chances there, and they are highly unlikely to ever pass her way again.

Centered
05-25-2010, 07:02 PM
No, its called a back injury. And until she gets better, he game will get worse. No need to over-analyze this one.
Yeah, a back injury doesn't help. The mental issues people speak of can be from back pain to some degree.

Raphael
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Her brother was a talented head case....maybe she takes after him?

reversef
05-26-2010, 01:08 AM
She overachieved by reaching the number one. It shouldn't have happened for her own good.

vortex1
05-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Her brother was a talented head case....maybe she takes after him?

Yeah, minus the talented part. Safin was godlike when he was "on". I was never impressed with Safina even when she was winning titles.

DMan
05-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I think she just really needs to work out the mental problems. If she fixes that, her game will follow suit. It's still there, it's just not able to come out with her mental block. I can see her winning a slam though, just not this year, unless she can break out of her block by the USO.

She just needs to work out her mental problems? Now, how easy is *THAT* going to be?

Her back issues will hamper her for the rest of the year. It's conceivable her ranking will drop out of the top 30. She'll be faced with having to work her way back up, after nearly 5 years as a top 10-20 player. I only see that leading to more frustration.

Dinara is a lesser talent than her brother. And while she is on the women's tour, so has it easier than Marat, I doubt she'll ever put it all together for 7 matches and win a major. It was painfully obvious she could just not handle the pressure at last year's French final.

decades
05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
probably her Venus loss at wimby last year. it was devastating.

iamtheavalanche
05-26-2010, 02:45 PM

she was a headcase even before the back injury. i've always liked her, but she didn't really deserve to be #1 to begin with.

davey25
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
probably her Venus loss at wimby last year. it was devastating.

Well I dont think Safina ever thought she was going to win Wimbledon. I guess the manner of the defeat was devastating though.