PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Graduating HS Senior Looking Beginning to Look for Internships

meowmix
05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Evening all!

As many of you know by now, I am a graduating high school senior. As I look towards the next few years, and the rest of my life after that, I recognize the need for me to do some interning during college, and preferably as soon as possible. If my waitlists fall through, I will be attending Dartmouth College next fall, planning to major in economics, and possibly minor in applied mathematics.

To give you a general idea of where I'd like to be in ten years, I see myself working as a lower level executive for an investment bank or in the financial sector as an analyst. I am ready to work hard, do my best, and follow my ambitions.

Recognizing that this forum has many hardworking professionals posting on it, many with decades of experience in their fields, I would like to ask you for advice on getting internships. I recognize that my grades will play an important part in the process, and I plan to keep those up. Apart from that, what do you feel is important for somebody looking to intern? Should I tap into Dartmouth's alumni network from the get go and see if I can network myself into a decent internship? Should I try for an internship my freshman year and apply for internships at the big investment banks, butting heads with students from the other Ivies, or should I put off for a little and apply for internships my sophomore fall, taking advantage of Dartmouth's D-plan? Or both?

Thank you for any advice that you have to give, and know that this senior greatly appreciates your words of wisdom.

LeeD
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
All you mentioned. It's never to early to start.
OTOH, don't start surfing and snowboarding, travelling around the world to persue, and eschew school and studies like I did.
Now 61, still haven't worked a real job, still make less than 4 grand a year, still having fun windsurfing and playing tennis 9 days a week (the two together).

Claudius
05-26-2010, 12:02 PM
^^You make less than 4 grand a year? Why don't you find a real job?

sureshs
05-26-2010, 12:14 PM
^^You make less than 4 grand a year? Why don't you find a real job?

Why? So that he can slave in the corporate world like the rest of us, buy a home on a huge loan, and be dependent on the job to pay off his home, and then losing it if he cannot? He is already homeless, he doesn't have to make an effort to become one again. And anyway what is it with homes anyway? Insurance costs, security costs, prop taxes, vulnerability to earthquakes and hurricanes - is it worth the headache?

r2473
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
All you mentioned. It's never to early to start.
OTOH, don't start surfing and snowboarding, travelling around the world to persue, and eschew school and studies like I did.
Now 61, still haven't worked a real job, still make less than 4 grand a year, still having fun windsurfing and playing tennis 9 days a week (the two together).

You are very much my hero. Seriously. I started out doing this after college, but lost my nerve and went back to school and got a job.

Well done!!

http://www.sotsart.com/img/cont/hero_leader_god_mask.gif

cucio
05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
http://nonadventures.com/comics/2010-05-15-196.png

http://nonadventures.com/2010/05/15/schools-out-for-bummer/