PDA

View Full Version : Surprise: venus has beaten justine on clay

halalula1234
05-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow i was a little surprise that venus has beaten the pre-prime justine on clay. I didnt think she was that good to do so before but now i saw the clip and she used to be awesome on clay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHBhmit4fA

and Henin was hitting just as hard as venus and venus was using slices/drops

davey25
05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Like I have said before Venus from 1998-2004 was actually an excellent clay courter, one of the real contenders on that surface. She definitely underachieved a bit at the French, imparticular the years of 1999, 2001, and 2004. She won many tier 1 and tier 2 events on the surface if I recall. She has wins over Hingis, Martinez, Sanchez Vicario, Seles, many other top echelon clay courters during that time. She also destroyed Pierce a few times on clay when Pierce was actually highly ranked.

2002 was obviously a pre prime Henin but still already one of the top clay courters. Henin also had a huge lead in that match 6-2, 4-0, 40-15 I think. That was back when Henin was known for shaky nerves and giving up some big leads in matches like that. Still an excellent win for Venus, her biggest ever on clay probably.
Henin had already won their first ever meeting on clay the previous year 6-4, 6-1 or something when Henin was even lower down in the game, so it was a great effort for Venus even then to beat Henin on clay.

hoosierbr
05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Why is that a surprise? Venus has been one of the most enduring players on the WTA Tour for more than a decade. She's had a couple of looks at Roland Garros and has another good one this year. She's playing good dirt ball this season.