PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 16x18 & 16x20 patterns?

highsierra
05-15-2005, 08:24 AM
For the same head size, what's the difference in terms of control and spin potential between a 16 x 18 and a 16 x 20 string pattern? The mains probably have more to do with sping potentials but what's the impact of differenct cross strings?

raftermania
05-15-2005, 08:30 AM
A more open string pattern on the crosses will give you more spin potential if you enjoy hitting real slice groundstrokes which curve left or right. But, overall a more dense pattern will always give you more control and conversely a more open pattern - more power.

donnyz89
05-15-2005, 08:59 AM
A more open string pattern on the crosses will give you more spin potential if you enjoy hitting real slice groundstrokes which curve left or right. But, overall a more dense pattern will always give you more control and conversely a more open pattern - more power.

yes but thats main string patterns, will cross patterns effect that as well?

raftermania
05-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah I was talking about cross strings

highsierra
05-15-2005, 12:26 PM
So from what you said, seems that the purpose of a 16 x 20 pattern is to provide good spin potential and good control, at the price of some power, comparing to, say 16x19?

raftermania
05-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah but in relation to the other racquet properties: stiffness, balance, mass - a string density differencial that you speak of is very well near negligible! Don't worry about it too much. Are you thinking about which ncode sixone to buy???

highsierra
05-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Not quite but you read my mind well ;) I have a nCode SixOne 95 and played with it a couple of times. I like it but it seems to be too heavy for my wrist. I'm torn between trading it for a nTour 95 or trying it out a bit longer. My shoulder and elbow are fine with the SixOne but probably because of my improper wristy movements, my wrist has been sore since the first day I hit with it (the thumb side). I'm not sure if I need to do some exercise to make my wrist stronger, or stop risking any further damage...

nViATi
05-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Not quite but you read my mind well ;) I have a nCode SixOne 95 and played with it a couple of times. I like it but it seems to be too heavy for my wrist. I'm torn between trading it for a nTour 95 or trying it out a bit longer. My shoulder and elbow are fine with the SixOne but probably because of my improper wristy movements, my wrist has been sore since the first day I hit with it (the thumb side). I'm not sure if I need to do some exercise to make my wrist stronger, or stop risking any further damage...
did changing your "improper wristy movements" ever occur to you as a viable solution?

raftermania
05-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I strongly/highly recommend adding some lead tape to the head of your SixOne. The SixOne is 9 pts. head light which means, most of the weight is the handle. As a consequence, the head does not have much mass to drive through the ball and in turn needs a lot of help from your wrists.

It could be your technique, but it could very well be the racquet!