PDA

View Full Version : Selling iPod Touch for a Zune HD. Bad/good idea?

ogruskie
05-26-2010, 12:43 PM
The iPod is a good device, but I REALLY hate the album cover flow. The slightest movement causes it to go into this menu, I have to shake it hard several times to go back to normal. The sound quality is alright, kinda flat. Even with good headphones and EQ the music isn't as "lush" as I would like it to be. But besides those two complains, I'm content.

What's really drawing me to the Zune HD is the zune marketplace. For $15, I get to download as much music as I want, and keep 10 songs monthly. Perhaps my biggest gripe about the iPod/iTunes is that buying music is really breaking my wallet. I listen to a lot of Pandora, and most individual songs are extremely obscure and hard to fine. Only iTunes sells them, so I have no other option that to download it. Over the past month I spent $58 on music alone :cry: The HD radio also sounds neat, so I sometimes get sick of listening to what I already have and the radio is refreshing to have.

Plus from what I've heard the Zune sound quality is better than iPod's. I'm not really sure what to do. Either sell the iPod and get a Zune (what if I end up disliking it?) or just suck it up and keep the ipod.

r2473
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Just buy a nice turntable and your problems are solved. Much better sound quality. Trust me:

http://www.vpiindustries.com/images/products/SSMRRD.jpg

ogruskie
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Just buy a nice turntable and your problems are solved. Much better sound quality. Trust me:

http://www.vpiindustries.com/images/products/SSMRRD.jpg

Looks like it'll be a little inconvenient to carry around school or while jogging. Thanks for the response though...

Serendipitous
05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
The iPod is a good device, but I REALLY hate the album cover flow. The slightest movement causes it to go into this menu, I have to shake it hard several times to go back to normal. The sound quality is alright, kinda flat. Even with good headphones and EQ the music isn't as "lush" as I would like it to be. But besides those two complains, I'm content.

What's really drawing me to the Zune HD is the zune marketplace. For $15, I get to download as much music as I want, and keep 10 songs monthly. Perhaps my biggest gripe about the iPod/iTunes is that buying music is really breaking my wallet. I listen to a lot of Pandora, and most individual songs are extremely obscure and hard to fine. Only iTunes sells them, so I have no other option that to download it. Over the past month I spent $58 on music alone :cry: The HD radio also sounds neat, so I sometimes get sick of listening to what I already have and the radio is refreshing to have.

Plus from what I've heard the Zune sound quality is better than iPod's. I'm not really sure what to do. Either sell the iPod and get a Zune (what if I end up disliking it?) or just suck it up and keep the ipod.

I've read a ton of reviews on the Zune HD. It's amazing. I don't have one, but I really want one. :)

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Bad idea. Friend, big Microsoft fan, says it's a huge difference. Microsoft products just aren't reliable, and the Zune is no exception, though HD a bit better. Plus, iPod OS is just superior.

Serendipitous
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/zune-hd-32gb-platinum/4505-6490_7-33665869.html

201 user reviews, "excellent" rating.

It's a great product, and constant firmware updates make it better and better.

Hot Sauce
05-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I have a Zune (not HD) and the sound quality is a lot better than the iPod. I'm pretty sure part of that is because the headphones that Microsoft gives with the Zune are much much much much better than the cheap, white, iPod ones. I don't use my Zune for much other than in my car, or on a road trip. So I can't comment about the marketplace features, but the Zune HD looks nice.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-26-2010, 01:39 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/zune-hd-32gb-platinum/4505-6490_7-33665869.html

201 user reviews, "excellent" rating.

It's a great product, and constant firmware updates make it better and better.

That's a bit misleading

Apple iPod Touch: 4.5/5 stars
Microsoft Zune HD: 4/5 stars

Serendipitous
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
That's a bit misleading

Apple iPod Touch: 4.5/5 stars
Microsoft Zune HD: 4/5 stars

Well, I'm not denying that the iPod touch is a better product...only because it has more apps.

The main thing that separates the two is the apps. That's all.

nCode747
05-26-2010, 02:04 PM
No doodle jump on Zune : (

mucat
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Depends on how you use them. If you only need a mp3 player, there are a lot of (better) choices out there than Apple or Microsoft...

mozzer
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
mucat, mind sharing what they are?! I only use my ipod for music, nothing else!

mucat
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
mucat, mind sharing what they are?! I only use my ipod for music, nothing else!

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

Cowon makes lots of good players. Sansa Fuze, Clip, Clip+, Sony, Samsung, etc...

meowmix
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I own a Fuze, and I'm very, very pleased with it. I got a 4 gig for around 45 bucks.

Sandwichman
05-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Why would you get a Zune over an iPodTouch?????? WHY?????????????

crazysoccer00
05-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I have the ipod touch and I 100% agree with the album flow.

One of the worst ideas they've included.

Very annoying when I have to consistently hold it straight to get out of it.

ogruskie
05-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Why would you get a Zune over an iPodTouch?????? WHY?????????????

Well I've already explained why. But to give you a "I'm too lazy and didn't read the brief first post" synopsis: iTunes is expensive, cover flow ruins my life, no radio.

I have the ipod touch and I 100% agree with the album flow.

One of the worst ideas they've included.

Very annoying when I have to consistently hold it straight to get out of it.

I know, right? Apple could at least have given us the option of turning the feature off. Also from what I've read the Zune's battery lasts a lot longer.

Jonny S&V
05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I have a Zune 120g, not touch screen though, and I bought it new for $209.99. It is great, sound quality amazing, video quality is great (for vids if you have them), not to mention that Zunes can handle 99% of video formats (unlike iPods, where you have to have it in an .Mp4 format). Combine the Zune program with Realplayer and Youtube, and you are in tennis heaven wherever you go my friend. ;-)

ogruskie
05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Sounds very intriguing. Zune seems so perfect right now. My only complaint against it is that the Marketplace doesn't have a nearly extensive library catalog as iTunes. I recently discovered an artist named Jens Buchert. Absolutely incredible music, can't find it ANYWHERE. Most of his cd's have been discontinued. Whoop whoop, iTunes has ALL of them! Wait, $10 per album? And he was 10+ albums? Er, no thanks.

autumn_leaf
05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Sounds very intriguing. Zune seems so perfect right now. My only complaint against it is that the Marketplace doesn't have a nearly extensive library catalog as iTunes. I recently discovered an artist named Jens Buchert. Absolutely incredible music, can't find it ANYWHERE. Most of his cd's have been discontinued. Whoop whoop, iTunes has ALL of them! Wait, $10 per album? And he was 10+ albums? Er, no thanks.

i think we're really just spoiled with all the pirating. i used to buy cds for 10-20 a pop. $15 was usually my average. i torrent things now and hate to spend money when i can get for nothing.

but $10 per album isn't that bad especially if it's more than 10 songs.

also i'm getting an ipod touch 8gb with my macbook pro that i just ordered and selling it off to a friend for 150. but i'm considering just keeping it and jailbreaking it. considering all the free apps with jailbreak i would think that the ipod touch would blow away the zune.