PDA

View Full Version : James Blake about to drop out of top 100

Mortifier
05-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Was watching the ATP-rankings and noticed that he was at a stunningly low 83 spot. Without the 150 points from Queens final he will most certainly drop out of the top 100.

I havn't analyzed it so far, but it seems to be more of a certainty than a probability, right?

I'm not rubbing this into someones face, I'm just pointing it out btw. I think he is a great sportsman and I wish him all the luck.

forzamilan90
05-26-2010, 03:32 PM
i haven't seen him in deeper rounds of tourneys in a while, so it's not really a surprise; plus he's getting up there in age, so it was inevitable

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Injuries, age, and inconsistency will do that. It really is astounding some of the no-name guys ranked ahead of him, but the results speak for themselves. If he'd won that match vs JMDP in Australia it may have been a different story, but it is what it is.

He's had a knee injury that took him out for the entire CC season, where he actually had a final in Estoril that he couldn't defend. Last I hear is that he may be back in time for the grass warmups. But even then it's unlikely he'll defend that Queens result.

sureshs
05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Another 1 hander will fade away, to be replaced by a 2 hander

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Estoril may have been beginning of end imo

Montanes' mental strength won him a match that should been Blake's

A Montanes def J Blake 5–7 7–6(6) 6–0

BreakPoint
05-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Hmmm....I'm kinda surprised because Blake still usually wins a round or two at the Slams and that should be enough to keep him in the top 64 at least.

stapler
05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Hmmm....I'm kinda surprised because Blake still usually wins a round or two at the Slams and that should be enough to keep him in the top 64 at least.

He's barely playing much right now though.

slicefox
05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Another 1 hander will fade away, to be replaced by a 2 hander

its an abomination isn't it?

Fee
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
He's barely playing much right now though.

He's not playing at all, he has a knee injury and he's trying to avoid surgery.

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Yep, 6-8 weeks was the recommended rest, that took him out for the CC season.

http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/article/ELSBERRY-Blake-may-avoid-New-Haven-on-comeback-496682.php

Mortifier
05-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Hopefully he'll make a run towards R32 in Wimby with a good draw, but I doubt it. He seems to get really hard draws and even when playing at his peak, he will have a hard time against the top 20 to be honest.

One can only hope to see him doing aswell as he did in the Olympics!

sillymonkey
05-27-2010, 08:36 AM
RETIRE please.

decades
05-27-2010, 08:56 AM
He will still be the main attraction for CBS at the 2010 U.S. Open and the J-Block will be just as annoying as evah.

Dreamer
05-27-2010, 09:11 AM
His tennis is too simple to last past his athletic peak and his 1hander is like gonzalez, completely rigid and weak.

Thrasher
05-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Blake blows!!

BreakPoint
05-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Blake blows!!
Yes, he does. He blows his opponents away with his powerful, flat groundstrokes.

Stinkdyr
05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
flash in da pan!

fuzz nation
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Watched him in what may have been his first or second year in the pros playing in the grass tournament in Newport the week after Wimbledon. He put on an "adapt-and-overcome" clinic by picking apart the #1 seed in the tournament in three sets, so I paid attention to him for a while after that. His potential was obvious.

Despite his ups and significant downs, it was great to see James stick with it and grind his way back into relevance a few years ago. Having coached some kids in my day though, the one thing that I spotted all too often was that demon in his psyche that would have James shaking his head and getting down on himself... when he was winning. After I saw it twice, he was fast tracked to my list of disappointments.

Not insulting his gender or anything, but I think I've only seen so much of this same gremlin in Victoria Azarenka - given her potential to beat everyone (without the shrieks!), I've been amazed by how radically she's checked out of more than one match. Hopefully she can write a story with a happier ending than the tale of Blake.

Any coach in the pro circles with some real training in the field of psychology has to be worth their weight in gold.