PDA

View Full Version : US Men and Clay

Tofuspeedstar
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Those guys seem to be less scared of the clay now? With an All-American final in Belgrade prior to Roland Garros, and five guys have a chance to make it past the third round!

Discuss?

Is it improving? Nothing? Getting worse?

ChuDat
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Well we can't tell until the 3rd round. For starters if they were getting worse then I suppose they wouldn't be passed the 1st or 2nd round.

kishnabe
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd say they are putting more effort...not about getting better on the surface. Some don'ttry because they feel that they can't win in a preferred way.

Tofuspeedstar
05-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Maybe I spoke too soon......

Isner is out
Fish is out (though a good match)
Dent just got creamed.

Roddick and Ginepri are holding it down for the US though.

jerriy
05-28-2010, 01:18 PM
It's just an illusion.

American players' red turf record looks better not cuz their clay court game has improved because their non-clay game has gotten worse and worse and worse :mrgreen:

sdont
05-28-2010, 01:22 PM
With three players in the third round of RG, USA were second only to Spain this year.

West Coast Ace
05-28-2010, 01:27 PM
The lighter, faster balls helped. And like kishnabe said, two guys spent the entire season in Europe.

pjonesy
05-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd say they are putting more effort...not about getting better on the surface. Some don'ttry because they feel that they can't win in a preferred way.

You're right. But, generally the American men never learn to move comfortably (or effectively) on red clay. Its hard to gauge if our players are getting better, because most of the guys that have been playing well (Querrey, Isner) on clay aren't known for their movement anyway. Most of the American players are just big, powerful players who are playing aggressively on clay and that is why they are winning. The only 2 American players that I can think of that have moved well on clay in the last 20 years are Chang and Courier. But, I certainly would not put them in the same class as the Spanish players, regarding their movement on the surface.