PDA

View Full Version : I got fired before I even started my job

SuperFly
05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Today I learned the summer camp that I applied to as counselor laid me off. They recently told me that I would be hired and I'd start a week into summer vacation. I was going to make $10 an hour watching kids. Now I won't be able to buy the stuff I want (Yonex RDS 001, new clothes, etc.) and it's probable that I won't be able to find a new job.

Console me talk tennis denizens :cry:

Steady Eddy
05-26-2010, 05:48 PM
That almost happened to me. I was hired by a camp to be their Waterfront Director. When I showed up for work they'd hired THREE people for that job, even though they only needed one. They kept all three of us, though. I didn't care for the job as we worked 16 hour days, weekends included.

You might find better jobs. Or don't work for anybody, just work for yourself. You can probably make more than $10 and hour tutoring kids or mowing lawns, whatever. Customers out in the 'burbs will treat you better than bosses/managers.

West Coast Ace
05-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Today I learned the summer camp that I applied to as counselor laid me off. They recently told me that I would be hired and I'd start a week into summer vacation. I was going to make $10 an hour watching kids. Now I won't be able to buy the stuff I want (Yonex RDS 001, new clothes, etc.) and it's probable that I won't be able to find a new job.

Console me talk tennis denizens :cry:That sucks. And guess what? It happens in the real world too. A friend of my was an independent contractor who did computer aided drafting - switched jobs a lot (called 'job shoppers'). He showed up at one job he'd been offered and agreed to a start date. And they told him they'd lost the contract for the project they intended him to work on - we don't need you, sorry. Didn't bother calling - was about a 30 mile drive (and in So Cal that's not 30 minutes!).

Steady Eddy
05-26-2010, 06:01 PM
That sucks. And guess what? It happens in the real world too. A friend of my was an independent contractor who did computer aided drafting - switched jobs a lot (called 'job shoppers'). He showed up at one job he'd been offered and agreed to a start date. And they told him they'd lost the contract for the project they intended him to work on - we don't need you, sorry. Didn't bother calling - was about a 30 mile drive (and in So Cal that's not 30 minutes!).I accepted a job, then got a call from an agency offering more for a different job. I turned them down because I'd promised to do the other job. I felt that I wouldn't want to be treated that way, so I shouldn't do it to others. The Golden Rule, and all that. Now...I don't know. If that happened to me again, I'd probably take the higher paying job, I'd treat them that way, because I know that's how I'd get treated. There's no longer a sense of honor about these things, if there ever was.

vandre
05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
my friend, i agree this sucks, but there are other options for you to earn some money to buy the things you want without putting up with kids all summer.

i don't know if you're so inclined, but when i was in jr. high and high school, my summer job was mowing yards. if you family has a mower and a gas can, you are set. then all you've gotta do is talk to some neighbors, family members, friends, whoever and line up some mowing jobs. back then, i was probably making something close to $10 an hour (getting paid $10 for a yard that took me 45 minutes to mow).

just a thought, but look around. there's a way to make some moo-lah!

stanfordtennis alum
05-26-2010, 06:11 PM

start giving tennis lessons in your area..

Feņa14
05-26-2010, 06:33 PM

Maybe the person doing the hiring and firing was a San Jose Sharks fan :)

SoBad
05-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if you looked back at this at the end of August and saw this summer job lapse as a good thing.

jswinf
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Time is on your side. Either you'll find another job or you'll have more time to play tennis!

SystemicAnomaly
05-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Quite a long time ago, I got fired after 1 day on the job (as an electronic troubleshooting tech). I went in the first day for some training from another tech. The guy didn't really seem to know what he was doing and did not do very much in the way of actual training. At one point, he had asked me point-blank how much the company was paying me. I foolishly answered him truthfully.

I was called in the next day and was let go cuz I supposedly "was bragging about how much I was earning". I told them that this was not the case & I had no idea how much anybody else was making. Apparently, because of my experience, I was probably making quite a bit more than the other techs and the word got around (from the inept guy that was supposed to be training me).

Bottom line: never discuss your salary with your co-workers (especially if you don't really know them).

SystemicAnomaly
05-27-2010, 12:23 AM

Please explain.

hollywood9826
05-27-2010, 04:24 AM
By Superflys avatar we can deduce he his a fan of the blackhawks, and seeing how they completly destroyed the Sharks in the playoffs that would explain why the gentleman when finding out Fly was a CHI fan decided he didnt want to listen to him bragging about the Blackhawks winning cup and how much San Jose chokes all the time. The San Jose Sharks are choke artists and the truth hurts so they fired him before he started.

Makes sense to me 8)

SystemicAnomaly
05-27-2010, 06:16 AM
^ Thnx for the 411. I'm in the SJ area but not really a ice hockey fan at all.

Joeyg
05-27-2010, 08:20 AM

Great post. I would have fired the brat too!!

West Coast Ace
05-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Time is on your side. Either you'll find another job or you'll have more time to play tennis!Reminds me of Monte Python 'Always look on the bright side of Life!'

Fena14: Well played!

LuckyR
05-27-2010, 11:07 AM

If it makes you feel any better you weren't fired, you were laid off.

SystemicAnomaly
05-27-2010, 12:09 PM

Are you coaching in the Bay Area, Stanford Alum? You play for Lele or John as a Cardinal?

goober
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM

You also could provide stringing service or advertise yourself as a hitting partner (assuming you are pretty good). I don't know about tennis lessons unless you actually have taught before or have some kind of background. I guess you could try little kids and beginners.

You could probably find odd short term jobs here and there and make enough money for a new racquet and clothes.

SuperFly
05-27-2010, 02:01 PM
If it makes you feel any better you weren't fired, you were laid off.

Nope.

By Superflys avatar we can deduce he his a fan of the blackhawks, and seeing how they completly destroyed the Sharks in the playoffs that would explain why the gentleman when finding out Fly was a CHI fan decided he didnt want to listen to him bragging about the Blackhawks winning cup and how much San Jose chokes all the time. The San Jose Sharks are choke artists and the truth hurts so they fired him before he started.

Makes sense to me 8)

http://i48.tinypic.com/f0tfv8.jpg

RD 7
05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
make an offer to do the job for $7.50. if they ask why you are willing to work on the cheap, tell them it's not about the money, it's about the kids.

they'll have no choice but to get rid of one of their overpriced $10 employees.

call the day before the camp starts and tell them circumstances have changed --you now need $11.

if they hesitate for an instant -- I'm talking about the slightest pause -- you say, calmly, "$12".

if this does not work, go to their property, find a staircase, and, when nobody is looking, dislodge the railing from it's mooring. Then I want you to stage a fake accident and sue them. Make sure your buddy is there with an iphone to record it.

You need to let these people know that you are willing to do this the hard way.

crash1929
05-27-2010, 09:50 PM

who needs new clothes. you certainly don't need new raquets. new raquets are a marketing SCAM. your actually lucky you have more time to play tennis now.

SuperFly
05-28-2010, 04:10 AM
who needs new clothes. you certainly don't need new raquets. new raquets are a marketing SCAM. your actually lucky you have more time to play tennis now.

I've had my racket for a year and a half now, and all the tennis I play already is really doing a number on the strings. I also outgrew a lot of my clothes. :-?