PDA

View Full Version : ESPN coverage of slams is horrible

backhander
05-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Thought I appreciate being able to see all 4 slams on TV, I think ESPN's coverage is horrible. First of all, what's the deal with having certain days where there is no coverage at all? Not everyone has the Tennis Channel to watch matches on those off days (if that is your ploy to get people to get the Tennis Channel, shame on you).

In addition, the number of matches they show is just not good at all, I mean USA did such a great job with the US Open and French Open, it's a shame that now ESPN has coverage of all 4 slams we as viewers are suffering. Or atleast I think I am :)

advise to ESPN, try to do as good a job as USA did.

Carsomyr
05-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Agreed. Their online service, ESPN3, allows viewers to watch earlier matches but I believe it is only available to American audiences. Also, neither the television network or the online service covered early round matches on Tuesday.

Fee
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
ESPN is not the lead broadcaster for Roland Garros. Tennis Channel owns the RG rights and subleases time to ESPN.

ESPN owns the rights to the Aus Open, Wimbledon, and the USO and shares them with TC. NBC owns weekend network TV rights to RG and Wimbledon, CBS owns the USO. These contracts have a lot to do with what we see at each of the slams. Last year, TTC was never allowed to show a match on Arthur Ashe during their USO broadcasts because that was ESPN's exclusive court.

OKUSA
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
i'm glad JMac is working for Tennis Channel so he gets to cover the good matches

drakulie
05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
USA rocked with their coverage. I miss them. :(

vbranis
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

So true...:cry:

MotherMarjorie
05-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Mother Marjorie remembers a time in the mid-80's when the only French Open coverage provided were the men's and women's finals by NBC. The resolution was sketchy and it was difficult to track the ball on the television screen.

Mother Marjorie remembers a time before the Australian Open moved to Melbourne Park in 1988, that the Australian Open wasn't even televised in the United States.

As a tennis player/fan in the US, I think we actually have more Grand Slam tennis coverage (especially the early rounds), but have to pay for it now. Even the Australian Open's inaugural broadcast to the US was provided by ESPN (pay).

kslick
05-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Agree. Their night match coverage was excellent.

himynameisNIKE
05-27-2010, 10:21 AM
ESPN is not the lead broadcaster for Roland Garros. Tennis Channel owns the RG rights and subleases time to ESPN.

ESPN owns the rights to the Aus Open, Wimbledon, and the USO and shares them with TC. NBC owns weekend network TV rights to RG and Wimbledon, CBS owns the USO. These contracts have a lot to do with what we see at each of the slams. Last year, TTC was never allowed to show a match on Arthur Ashe during their USO broadcasts because that was ESPN's exclusive court.

mhmm....but their coverage still sucks :mad:

The_Question
05-27-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't really care too much for ESPN's coverage on mostly American players...frankly, I much prefer to watch Federer's match than Venus...

Fee
05-27-2010, 10:31 AM
mhmm....but their coverage still sucks :mad:

Yes, I mostly agree. But, ESPN does not program for tennis fans, they believe that people like the members of this forum will tune in no matter what. ESPN programs for general sports fans and channel surfers, that is why they will choose a Roddick/Williams sister/Federer blow out over a gripping five setter between two well liked European dudes. They can increase their ratings with the known name.

Backbored
05-27-2010, 10:36 AM
I don't really care too much for ESPN's coverage on mostly American players...frankly, I much prefer to watch Federer's match than Venus...

That’s my major beef with them as well. I like to watch good tennis, which means the top players. ESPN emphasizes American players no matter how bad, over the top ten players. Also they spend more time interviewing players or showing little vignettes on back stories, all during LIVE coverage. Makes my head explode during Roger or Rafa’s games.

himynameisNIKE
05-27-2010, 10:37 AM
at least they are showing monfils right now and not roddick

Backbored
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
at least they are showing monfils right now and not roddick
I thought that they were in rain delay?

himynameisNIKE
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I thought that they were in rain delay?

they just started the matches

zak425
05-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Absolutely agree. Whats worse is when they replay a Venus match from that day, while a much better match is going on live. I am here in the states and I can agree that ESPN's whole deal is to show the Americans as much as possible, but even in that they suck. I'd rather watch Isner than Venus. Of course as stated they always go to the matches with the Names, not play. I cant wait to be done with cable.

Backbored
05-27-2010, 10:49 AM
they just started the matches
Thanks,:) I would be missing play right now if not for you!

himynameisNIKE
05-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks,:) I would be missing play right now if not for you!

haha no problem 8-)

vbranis
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
edit: never mind

The_Question
05-27-2010, 12:26 PM
And guess what?? They're showing the Venus match...again...

Backbored
05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
And guess what?? They're showing the Venus match...again...
What is this, like the 3rd time today!

jackson vile
05-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Oh no, you are incorrect. I want to watch the Venus match for the 6 time, I just can't get enough of that same match when other matches are going on or unseen matches could be showed.

Go ESPN!!!

Scientist
05-27-2010, 12:42 PM
It was such an exciting match too, I love watching Venus play, taking twenty seconds before every serve, tossing the ball and catching it, and doing it again, a hundred times. I also love the bored, sleepy crowd. Thrilling.

Backbored
05-27-2010, 12:47 PM
It was such an exciting match too, I love watching Venus play, taking twenty seconds before every serve, tossing the ball and catching it, and doing it again, a hundred times. I also love the bored, sleepy crowd. Thrilling.

You forgot how many times she adjusts her bra.:shock:

backhander
05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't get it, why don't they just show matches that people haven't seen yet. oh and stop it with the split screen, i hate the split screen.

Shaolin
05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
ESPN Tennis Coverage protocol:

-Long Venus/Serna opening intro segment

-Show every possible second of Venus or Serena match

-On court post match interview of Venus/Serena

-Post match news conference of Venus/Serena, to be shown in its entirety

-Post match sit down interview with Venus/Serena with Pam Shriver or other

-Discussions of Williams sister's upcoming matches

-Any possible doubles footage of Williams sisters

-Previous round Venus/Serena match

-Coverage of any possible women's match

-If no other options, show last 5 games of Federer's match or last 2 games of an epic, compelling 5 set men's match

Backbored
05-27-2010, 01:07 PM

-If no other options, show last 5 games of Federer's match or last 2 games of an epic, compelling 5 set men's match

So true and this is during LIVE games.

sillymonkey
05-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Sad & True, but you forgot the constant Roddick match replays and pathetic pro-american commentary [on clay?!?]

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Sad & True, but you forgot the constant Roddick match replays and pathetic pro-american commentary [on clay?!?]

Throw Sharapova in there while you're at it. They covered her match over Henin's.

Backbored
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Also Patrick would never criticize an American player because of his position as the Davis Cup captain. He however has no problem criticizing any of the other players.

Shaolin
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
So true and this is during LIVE games.

But of course!

Yes they will also show Roddick, how could I forget. They also will (after all Williams sisters options are exhausted) kindly give a 5 minute recap of all of the great matches that were missed while they devoted 7 straight hours to american player coverage. Just to rub it in our face how bad their coverage is.

Chezbeeno
05-27-2010, 04:19 PM
psssssst Channelsurfing.net, but you didn't heard that

seriously, picture can be good, and you can watch any of the bigger matches

kanamit
05-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I only do online streams now, sometimes ESPN360, sometimes one from Europe. Why bother even watching tennis on cable? It's just a lot of unwatchable advertisements and poor programming decisions that reveal an annoying bias to American players. In fact cable television in general has been unwatchable for years.

forzamilan90
05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
espn3 is all right, but you need good connection and it still doesn't show everything; their coverage is appalling to be honest

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 09:08 AM
ESPN showing taped Serena double breadstick over live tennis.

Let the outrage commence....

Brian Purdie
05-28-2010, 09:12 AM

i was going to comment on it myself. Isner, Cilic, Tsonga, Soderling all playing live right now. Should have gotten Direct TV

Backbored
05-28-2010, 09:15 AM

Today’s coverage has been horrible. Nothing but washed out has been American men and American women attention !@$%S.

fundrazer
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
As soon as I saw that stupid intro I knew this would happen. Normally they cut right to live matches, but when they do the intro...they usually plan on talking about nothing and then showing tape delayed matches...ugh.

I'd be watching Tsonga vs de Bakker if livestreams weren't crashing my computer...

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Today’s coverage has been horrible. Nothing but washed out has been American men and American women attention !@$%S.

Yeah it's bad enough TC showed the Serena match over the Djokovic and Nadal matches, then cuts to Fish's match which had to go on forever and basically missed the entire Murray/Baggy match. It's been an awful day.

Backbored
05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Yeah it's bad enough TC showed the Serena match over the Djokovic and Nadal matches, then cuts to Fish's match which had to go on forever and basically missed the entire Murray/Baggy match. It's been an awful day.

Looks like you and I where trying to watch the same games. I’m disgusted.

sillymonkey
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Why in the world is ESPN showing Serena's taped match?? It's hours and hours old, there is LIVE tennis right now. Plus, it was a one-sided slugfest/beatdown.
For pete's sake, show the live stuff as it happens!!! Isn't that the point!

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Today’s coverage has been horrible. Nothing but washed out has been American men and American women attention !@$%S.I'm lucky in that I have DirecTV and at least ESPN doesn't shut off the extra court coverage when they come on TV. Tomorrow will really suck cuz once NBC comes on the air ESPN, TTC, DirecTV are shut down. :evil:

sillymonkey
05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm lucky in that I have DirecTV and at least ESPN doesn't shut off the extra court coverage when they come on TV. Tomorrow will really suck cuz once NBC comes on the air ESPN, TTC, DirecTV are shut down. :evil:

oh no...will we get dick enberg?

vbranis
05-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Gotta love taped coverage of blowouts over live tennis. I mean, who in their right mind wants to watch the 4th set of Tsonga - De Bakker over a Serena or Venus borefest from a few hours ago?

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 09:52 AM
oh no...will we get dick enberg?no he's cbs. we get ted robinson on nbc.

Serendipitous
05-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Gotta love taped coverage of blowouts over live tennis. I mean, who in their right mind wants to watch the 4th set of Tsonga - De Bakker over a Serena or Venus straight set win from a few hours ago?

I know, this is ridiculous.....:evil::evil:

Backbored
05-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Hey all, you guys and gals might want to edit out who wins what in your messages. That way the PTB want delete the entire thread.

I just gave up watching for the time being. I pop over from time to time hoping for live tennis.

SteveI
05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Thought I appreciate being able to see all 4 slams on TV, I think ESPN's coverage is horrible. First of all, what's the deal with having certain days where there is no coverage at all? Not everyone has the Tennis Channel to watch matches on those off days (if that is your ploy to get people to get the Tennis Channel, shame on you).

In addition, the number of matches they show is just not good at all, I mean USA did such a great job with the US Open and French Open, it's a shame that now ESPN has coverage of all 4 slams we as viewers are suffering. Or atleast I think I am :)

The coverage is not the best to be sure. ESPN knows what folks watch.. and sorry to say.. it is not tennis. ESPN did not get to be the biggest and best by being unaware of their markets. Hope you are not a hockey fan.. :-(

I find that for me.. their coverage is fine.. otherwise if more was offered.. I would never get to play tennis..:-)

SteveI
05-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Why in the world is ESPN showing Serena's taped match?? It's hours and hours old, there is LIVE tennis right now. Plus, it was a one-sided slugfest/beatdown.
For pete's sake, show the live stuff as it happens!!! Isn't that the point!

Hummmmm... she is USA player.. and they are going to show her and Venus over just about anyone. I know many TT members are less than fans of da sisters.. but THE USTA, ITF and ESPN love them. BTW... nice tennis dress Venus..I know this is old news.. but YIKES!!!

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Hummmmm... she is USA player.. and they are going to show her and Venus over just about anyone. I know many TT members are less than fans of da sisters.. but THE USTA, ITF and ESPN love them. BTW... nice tennis dress Venus..I know this is old news.. but YIKES!!!every other day this week ESPN came on and showed live tennis (except during rain delays of course). Today was a blockbuster day I know, but there are several good women's matches going on right now (seeded players) which ESPN could be showing. Sad thing is TTC can't take all the coverage because they don't reach enough households. So they have to lease coverage to ESPN.

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
So now they're showing taped Nadal beatdown over the 4-5 live matches going on. What a joke.

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 10:21 AM
So now they're showing taped Nadal beatdown over the 4-5 live matches going on. What a joke.You knew from the beginning of their coverage EVERYTHING would be on tape today. And the OOP for tomorrow has Serena and Andy Roddick 1st on PC and SL, so no doubt we'll see them on tape on NBC over anything live. And I believe when NBC has coverage TTC and/or ESPN cannot show what they do. Either that or they can't be on the air at the same time.

sheets
05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I suggest watching it online, its what i often resort to.

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
You knew from the beginning of their coverage EVERYTHING would be on tape today. And the OOP for tomorrow has Serena and Andy Roddick 1st on PC and SL, so no doubt we'll see them on tape on NBC over anything live. And I believe when NBC has coverage TTC and/or ESPN cannot show what they do. Either that or they can't be on the air at the same time.

Good. I'd rather NBC show Roddick/Serena on tape then actual good matches on tape. Those matches are likely to be beatdowns anyways.

zak425
05-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Selling the rights to ESPN was the worst move tennis could have let happen. Its an overload of terrible taped matches of mostly Venus (this time). Instead of expanding the market and showing top players in GOOD (read: live) matches, they decide to keep the market specifically targeted to 2-3 players. They are doing themselves in ultimately. As they decide to market their coverage to the average fan, the real tennis fans will stop watching cable and ESPN. I really wonder how many casual sport watchers actually tune in at all? Its almost a no-brainer that when Venus and Serena retire ESPN will no longer keep the slam rights. I cant wait to see live matches soon, I eagerly anticipate the thrashing that Venus will eventually take place

Walenty
05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Its just another lousy day of coverage--watching the sisters and nadal trash their opponents while I miss most of Murray/Baggy. Not to mention they showed not even ten minutes of the Djoker/Nishikori match. Uuuggghhhh.....streams it is.

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Now they're showing a feature on Nadal's injuries last year while LIVE tennis still goes on.

And now an interview w/ Nadal. :roll:

kanamit
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
NBC is trying to blackout tennis coverage in the US so it can show chopped up, tape-delayed blowouts? Time to fire up those livestreams.

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Selling the rights to ESPN was the worst move tennis could have let happen. Its an overload of terrible taped matches of mostly Venus (this time). Instead of expanding the market and showing top players in GOOD (read: live) matches, they decide to keep the market specifically targeted to 2-3 players. They are doing themselves in ultimately. As they decide to market their coverage to the average fan, the real tennis fans will stop watching cable and ESPN. I really wonder how many casual sport watchers actually tune in at all? Its almost a no-brainer that when Venus and Serena retire ESPN will no longer keep the slam rights. I cant wait to see live matches soon, I eagerly anticipate the thrashing that Venus will eventually take placewell who else could they get to cover it? The slams have requirements about minimum number of households you reach so Tennis Channel would never be able to show a slam without additional coverage as they don't reach enough homes.

kanamit
05-28-2010, 11:22 AM
well who else could they get to cover it? The slams have requirements about minimum number of households you reach so Tennis Channel would never be able to show a slam without additional coverage as they don't reach enough homes.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Very few real tennis fans tune in already. So ESPN, when they get their ratings back, will see that the Williams sisters matches get the highest ratings. What they don't realize is that those supposedly high ratings would be at the lower end of their scale if they began respecting tennis fans by showing live matches and close matches. Instead, they see the Williams sisters ratings and draw the conclusion that people really must want to see taped-delayed blowouts. What's the result? Tennis fans continue to desert cable coverage for greener pastures.

They are viewing their statics in relative terms instead of absolute terms, and fail to realize that the relative draw of the Williams sisters has to be viewed in the context of really crappy coverage that alienates all but the most casual American viewers (who are more likely to want to watch only American players). Like most network executives, these people lack the capacity to think critically or holistically.

vbranis
05-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Well, ESPN has gone offline for about 15 mintues now, every other channel works fine, but for ESPN and ESPN2, where I get a black screen. So I can't even watch taped blowouts anymore. :(

Oh, the humanity!

West Coast Ace
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Is this where I'm supposed to gloat about my DirecTV Mix? :)

Annika
05-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I watched the Roddick match five times. :twisted:

Also I am getting tired of hearing John McEnroe's voice. He talks thru each and every shot. Rambles on and on. I don't need a description of what is happening. I can see the match!!!! So I mute it!

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Add insult to injury - ESPN scrolls the live score update on the bottom of the screen while showing taped matches. :roll:

Serendipitous
05-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Add insult to injury - ESPN scrolls the live score update on the bottom of the screen while showing taped matches. :roll:

Really?? Wow......:lol:

Shaolin
05-28-2010, 11:31 AM
^^TTC does that now too :(

tangerine
05-28-2010, 11:45 AM
You'll be missing it when NBC takes over this weekend. http://i23.tinypic.com/ie0a68.jpg

OKUSA
05-28-2010, 01:22 PM

did this today, showed serena and venus matches over nadal and federer matches. sure they were all taped, but i woke up late and avoided everything so i wouldn't know the outcomes

jamesblakefan#1
05-28-2010, 01:29 PM
did this today, showed serena and venus matches over nadal and federer matches. sure they were all taped, but i woke up late and avoided everything so i wouldn't know the outcomes

Today they showed Serena, Venus, Nadal and Fed taped matches over live coverage, so throw them all in the same boat.

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 01:32 PM
It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Very few real tennis fans tune in already. So ESPN, when they get their ratings back, will see that the Williams sisters matches get the highest ratings. What they don't realize is that those supposedly high ratings would be at the lower end of their scale if they began respecting tennis fans by showing live matches and close matches. Instead, they see the Williams sisters ratings and draw the conclusion that people really must want to see taped-delayed blowouts. What's the result? Tennis fans continue to desert cable coverage for greener pastures.

They are viewing their statics in relative terms instead of absolute terms, and fail to realize that the relative draw of the Williams sisters has to be viewed in the context of really crappy coverage that alienates all but the most casual American viewers (who are more likely to want to watch only American players). Like most network executives, these people lack the capacity to think critically or holistically.exactly.

Today there were 3 womens matches - Dementieva, Kuznetsova and Rezai that were live when ESPN came on the air. All 3 went 3 sets, with Kuzy being knocked out and Rezai/Petrova tied at 7-all in the 3rd when play was suspended. All of these were compelling matches with well known players. No excuse for ESPN chosing not to cover them. And the last match stopped at around 4PM EST and ESPN's coverage goes until 6:30 EST. That's 2 1/2 hours for them to show 'highlights' of Venus, Serena, Fed and Nadal. Plenty of time considering all matches were pretty routine.

I can understand showing taped stuff when all that's left on court are a couple of journymen/women, but today while showing taped Serena the defending champion got knocked out. That ESPN isn't showing it is absurd. Especially since Tuesday - Thursday they were showing live tennis.

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Is this where I'm supposed to gloat about my DirecTV Mix? :)haha we can gloat about it until Sunday and after that we're stuck the evil cabal of TTCESPNNBC.

Backbored
05-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Are these bozo’s going to broadcast World Cup too?

Backbored
05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Please remember not to post scores or winners on this thread b/c the PTB my delete it. If you have, please us the edit button.

Leonidas
05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
This is the spanish tv. You have 2 channels. If a spanish player is on the courts, they´ll logically will be showing that match , but as i said, 2 channels and pretty good quality. hope it helps

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-22652-Pro-Tennis-Examiner~y2010m5d28-Slapping-on-the-tape-ESPN-insults-tennis-fans-again

lidoazndiabloboi
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
http://www.espn3.com has all the live matches you want
espn wants to show the big name players

fedfan08
05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.espn3.com has all the live matches you want
espn wants to show the big name playersYes of course those of us who have HD want to watch live tennis on a crappy internet feed. Heck the feeds at tennischannel.com don't even have the audio and video synched up.

Mustard
05-28-2010, 02:28 PM

They really did that? Blimey.

West Coast Ace
05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes of course those of us who have HD want to watch live tennis on a crappy internet feed. Heck the feeds at tennischannel.com don't even have the audio and video synched up.Agree. The internet isn't ready to put satellite/cable of out business quite yet - despite what the pundits say. And my 'unlimited' internet is only 5GB/mo - so I don't think I could watch too many matches (or stream movies) before AT&T would be shutting me down...

I'll say it again, thank goodness for the Mix on DirecTV...

backhander
05-28-2010, 03:55 PM

I was just about to say this too. Three times now I'm watching a match that ESPN is showing for the first time, and then the final score of the exact match is shown at the bottom of the screen scrolling. Way to go guys.

Mustard
05-28-2010, 04:09 PM
I watched the Roddick match five times. :twisted:

Also I am getting tired of hearing John McEnroe's voice. He talks thru each and every shot. Rambles on and on. I don't need a description of what is happening. I can see the match!!!! So I mute it!

McEnroe never does that when he works for the BBC. On US TV, talking through the points seems to be encouraged more.

Mr_Shiver
05-28-2010, 09:59 PM
It is such a serena love-fest it makes me sick. They need to get their face out of her muff and show some real tennis, mens tennis.

Tanya
05-28-2010, 10:06 PM
show some real tennis, mens tennis.

Go soak your head.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-29-2010, 09:19 PM

-Roddick's last match, even if it was 8 rounds ago, and a clip of Roddick brilliance from 2002

Added one for ya

jamesblakefan#1
05-30-2010, 08:21 AM
TC showing WS doubles over Sod/Cilic match. I don't care if it's Borg/Mac playing doubles, a 3R doubles match should never take priority over a 4R singles match.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-30-2010, 08:30 AM
=or last 2 games of an epic, compelling 5 set men's match

With the rare exception of a few, most men's 5-set matches are hardly "epics," but textbook examples of grinding players incapable of getting the job done in 3 (for any number of reasons--none of them good). It is of little wonder why ESPN only broadcasts the last few games of such sleep-inducers.

WBF
05-30-2010, 08:35 AM
TC showing WS doubles over Sod/Cilic match. I don't care if it's Borg/Mac playing doubles, a 3R doubles match should never take priority over a 4R singles match.

This.

And they showed multiple games from the Soderling Cilic match, so it is likely not a broadcast rights issue.

Maybe someone at the Tennis Channel enjoys other people's frustration. Either way, whomever made this decision should be fired and banned from the industry. This is just absurd.

Jonas
05-30-2010, 08:42 AM
You better be glad Agassi has retired, remember those day??
If not, let me refresh your memory...

It's the round of 16 and there is an epic match going on between say.....Corretja and Enqvist...

Instead they replay Agassi's first round loss for the 8th or 9th time in the past week......while you are missing the live 5 set match.....

Of course, I would rather watch the Agassi replay than live women's doubles....for crying out loud.

Shaolin
05-30-2010, 12:47 PM
With the rare exception of a few, most men's 5-set matches are hardly "epics," but textbook examples of grinding players incapable of getting the job done in 3 (for any number of reasons--none of them good). It is of little wonder why ESPN only broadcasts the last few games of such sleep-inducers.

:roll: Whatever. Go watch Serena and Venus for 7 hours then.

Nice job missing the point anyway. Regardless of match quality (which you seem to fail to grasp--it takes a lot of work to win points on clay nowadays), the coverage of matches is so lopsided its a joke. I guess it will continue that way since there are so many people like you that dont seem to care.

sillymonkey
05-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't you with the crummy TV execs and programmers would read these boards?

Ledigs
05-30-2010, 07:07 PM
I can understand them showing Venus/Serena 10 years ago but Venus is old and not that good anymore and watching them on clay is horribly boring. Any men's match is better (and I'm a female).

To top it off, I am completely disgusted by Venus's outfit. I really feel sick when I look at it. It's disgusting and offensive and I would prefer to watch no tennis (and I'm a huge fan) than to see something like that. Is Serena still in? I hope she loses her next match and retires.

Ledigs
05-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I remember USA playing men's matches deep into the night. Usually epic matches with Sampras ill on the backcourt. Oh those were the days. This coverage is TRAGIC and how can a casual fan even know what channel stuff is on? I'm a big follower and even I get confused on what time everything is on (ESPN, TC, and NBC). I really don't think the audience is big enough for tennis channel yet. I think they should have marketed more on a non-pay channel (or at least regular cable like ESPN) before trying to make it a niche thing. How are people going to learn to love it if it's hidden on a pay channel they've never heard of? SO STUPID.

backhander
05-31-2010, 01:37 AM
I remember USA playing men's matches deep into the night. Usually epic matches with Sampras ill on the backcourt. Oh those were the days. This coverage is TRAGIC and how can a casual fan even know what channel stuff is on? I'm a big follower and even I get confused on what time everything is on (ESPN, TC, and NBC). I really don't think the audience is big enough for tennis channel yet. I think they should have marketed more on a non-pay channel (or at least regular cable like ESPN) before trying to make it a niche thing. How are people going to learn to love it if it's hidden on a pay channel they've never heard of? SO STUPID.

I agree, USA had the best coverage for US Open and French Open, it's a shame they no longer have the rights. They also allowed the viewers to see more matches by different players. ESPN is doing a bad job.

fedfan08
05-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Towards the end of TTC's coverage Ted Robinsion said we could catch the end of the Verdasco/Almagro match on ESPN. What is ESPN showing us? Robby Ginepri on tape. LOSERS.

OKUSA
05-31-2010, 09:17 AM
McEnroe even said after that thing by Ted, that "it was nice of them to do that", I laughed since he probably knows the bull espn pulls

BreakPoint
05-31-2010, 09:18 AM
Unbelievable! ESPN has 6 1/2 hours of coverage today, yet they choose to show a taped Djokovic/Ginepri match now over a live Verdasco/Almagro match? What the heck is wrong with ESPN????? Seriously, what are they smoking?

Why not only show the taped matches AFTER all the live matches are over? They have plenty of time later this afternoon to do so. What, they're afraid that their tapes will self-destruct in a couple of hours unless they show them now?

fedfan08
05-31-2010, 09:32 AM
Unbelievable! ESPN has 6 1/2 hours of coverage today, yet they choose to show a taped Djokovic/Ginepri match now over a live Verdasco/Almagro match? What the heck is wrong with ESPN????? Seriously, what are they smoking?

Why not only show the taped matches AFTER all the live matches are over? They have plenty of time later this afternoon to do so. What, they're afraid that their tapes will self-destruct in a couple of hours unless they show them now?Yeah with all that coverage time they could show the end of the Verdasco match and Jankovic and then still have enough time to show a good portion of all the completed matches. I mean really we don't need to see the complete Ginepri match as the last couple sets weren't that competitive. Neither was Serena's but no doubt we'll see every single point of it.

Backbored
05-31-2010, 09:35 AM
I wonder if this is what happens IF the player’s sponsors tell the networks who will get the most airtime?

OKUSA
05-31-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm actually angry that Ginepri made it this far, if he lost we would be seeing Live tennis. Or Serena, argh

fundrazer
05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Lame coverage today. I also find it funny how ESPN likes to pretend they're showing live coverage. They'll show their tape delayed matches then jump to other courts. What was funny today, they showed Nadal walking on court then jumped to Stosur Henin till the end of the 2nd. After commercial they looped this same segment of Nadal and Stosur v Henin.

Basically, they screw up the coverage by showing tape delayed matches...then they screw up the tape delayed coverage...epic fail from ESPN.

jamesblakefan#1
06-02-2010, 10:40 AM
WS doubles over 5th set men's QF. Discuss.

Mansewerz
06-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Why do they keep showing the Williams!?

jamesblakefan#1
06-02-2010, 10:42 AM
And they cut to commercial after Venus holds, instead of cutting over to the men's match. What a joke.

TMF
06-02-2010, 10:45 AM
The only way to get a decent air time is when all the American players are eliminated. That’s include Roddick, Blake, Isner, Oudin and company.

lidoazndiabloboi
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
PLEASE WILLIAM SISTERS!! LOSE THE MATCH
so we dont have to watch your stupid coverage anymore

Buckethead
06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Just look at what they're showing now instead Djokovic X melzer.
Williams Sister relevant match
ESPN is a fuc.. joke

Chadwixx
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Alot of racism in this thread.

pmacino
06-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm watching all of the matches via espn.com. It's freaking slick. You can even do PIP and Mosaic...and best of all, it's free.

Baselineg
06-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Nobody cares about doubles,WS's,or womans tennis in general....Mens singles are the only thing that matter.

And im not rasict i just hate Women in sports.

BreakPoint
06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
ESPN is clueless!!!!

We need a Williams sisters-free network to cover tennis. :)

TMF
06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Just look at what they're showing now instead Djokovic X melzer.
Williams Sister relevant match
ESPN is a fuc.. joke

They did the same thing during Soderling/Cilic's match.

Just be thankful the women's double final will not overlap with the men's final.

Buckethead
06-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Alot of racism in this thread.

Don't pull that shi... man
Nobody can say anything about the sistas ,because it's called racism.
That's pathetic.
It's racism against other players and matches that the W. sisters get all the coverage and other players don't

Chadwixx
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a KK K meeting or even worse, A TEA PARTY!!!!!

If you guys dont like a little "color" on your televisions, get a black and white.

Really trying to sound like a williams fan btw :)

Buckethead
06-02-2010, 11:11 AM
I guess ESPN likes to see how many balls they can hit at their opponents

Chadwixx
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I wonder if this is what happens IF the player’s sponsors tell the networks who will get the most airtime?

Surprised no one has picked up on this yet.

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Pre-emptive bump. :D

A few programming notes, while we’re talking about ESPN2. The network is promising “all live” coverage this time around (assuming that there is actual live tennis being played during the broadcast). Here’s ESPN’s Senior V.P. of programming and acquisitions Len DeLuca:

“Tennis fans demand Wimbledon and the Grand Slams live, and when anyone tries not to deliver the action live and hold it back for whatever business reasons, it’s a disservice to the fans and definitely not 21st century tennis."

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2010/06/15/brad-gilbert-and-mary-carillo-chose-nadal-ahead-of-federer-at-wimbledon/

Chadwixx
06-20-2010, 01:16 PM
10 Watch "espns coverage"
20 Print "espn's coverage is bad"
30 goto 10

TheTruth
06-20-2010, 04:36 PM

USA did a phenomenal job. ESPN, acts like tennis is an afterthought!

jamesblakefan#1
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
First WS doubles being shown over singles.

Guamanian G
06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I only do online streams now, sometimes ESPN360, sometimes one from Europe. Why bother even watching tennis on cable? It's just a lot of unwatchable advertisements and poor programming decisions that reveal an annoying bias to American players. In fact cable television in general has been unwatchable for years.

A bias to American players is an understatement! They freakin worship them

norbac
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Thank God for streams....

Backbored
06-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Backbored
I wonder if this is what happens IF the player’s sponsors tell the networks who will get the most airtime?[Surprised no one has picked up on this yet.
Take a good look at the sponsors, and then look at what player’s they are pimping.

Also look at them showing a live interview of a player over a live game. There is no other sport that this happens. To cut away from live action to show some lame interview. Why????

yemenmocha
06-22-2010, 02:43 PM
ESPN's coverage is atrocious. I agree with most of the negative sentiments expressed here.

I don't give a S&^%*( what Gilbert or any other commentator thinks about the draw (and having to look at just the draw while they speculate), and they did this when they could have been showing any number of matches.

Show tennis. It's simple.

bayoozen33
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but ESPN was showing Williams sisters doubles match over the 5th set of Ferrero/Malisse and 4th set of Isner/Mahut. I'm glad I could just laugh it off because I have the Direct TV 5 court coverage, but if I didn't have that I would have been ****ed.

WildVolley
06-22-2010, 03:32 PM
The early coverage on ESPN is certainly not catering to tennis players. For some reason, they spend a lot of time showing announcers in the booth talking when there are many matches going on? What is up with that? We can watch a match and listen to your blabber at the same time.

Ledigs
06-22-2010, 03:36 PM
The early coverage on ESPN is certainly not catering to tennis players. For some reason, they spend a lot of time showing announcers in the booth talking when there are many matches going on? What is up with that? We can watch a match and listen to your blabber at the same time.

This is why Americans aren't interested. For other sports, the game is holy. You do not cut away from a football game. ESPN has this attitude where you can cut to and fro and totally ruins any suspense, any drama, any feelings that a match has going. If you keep cutting away, you can't get a sense of what is going on in a match.

RIDICULOUS

Annika
06-22-2010, 08:07 PM
The people who watch tennis are usually tennis players themselves..it was once said here. We expect to see tennis. We do not care if anyone commentates at all!!!! Who cares what's in the dam bag!!! :mad:

WBF
06-23-2010, 04:51 AM
I don't understand the preoccupation with showing commentators in a studio when tennis is being played. Who the hell comes up with these ideas? These airheads are awful DURING the tennis, but REPLACING tennis with their blather? Fire whomever made that decision.

IrishFan
06-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Absolutely asinine

IrishFan
06-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Don't pull that shi... man
Nobody can say anything about the sistas ,because it's called racism.
That's pathetic.
It's racism against other players and matches that the W. sisters get all the coverage and other players don't

Thank you. My sentiments exactly

powerslave
06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Things can only improve if someone can compete with ESPN when it comes to broadcasting rights for the game; things are even tricky for tennis as there is no half time unlike football.

WBF
06-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I absolutely love that both Shriver (or some other awful commentator) and Gilbert have interrupted play by talking or yelling during the match. Amazing.

sillymonkey
06-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Hannah Storm [is that her f*#&ing name?] is horrible!!! I really miss Chris Fowler running the desk. She NEVER stops talking...in general is seems ESPN has ramped up the commentary and added some lame bells & whistles to the coverage. I suppose they're trying to make it more interesting? It's like they instructed all of the commentators to speak as if tennis were a contact sport.
I've had my TV on mute almost non-stop.

kslick
06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I just hope Tennis Channel (Prime time show) will show some other matches. I had about enough of the Isner match. I get it....epic....breaks all records...yada..yada but come on there were other matches.

Scientist
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Hannah Storm [is that her f*#&ing name?] is horrible!!! I really miss Chris Fowler running the desk. She NEVER stops talking...in general is seems ESPN has ramped up the commentary and added some lame bells & whistles to the coverage. I suppose they're trying to make it more interesting? It's like they instructed all of the commentators to speak as if tennis were a contact sport.
I've had my TV on mute almost non-stop.

She is a complete idiot about the sport and it is a travesty that she's MCing the whole thing. It's almost as if she got the memo upside down: you're SUPPOSED to talk during points. She's said the words "ridiculous" or "amazing" about 9,294,203 times during the Isner match. We get it, it's a unique situation, etc. but this isn't freaking football.

What a massive tool; the other knobs pandering to her idiocy are not one iota better either.

RyanRF
06-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Espn and nbc are terrible.

I have absolutely zero guilt over watching unkosher eurosport streams online.

mike84
06-24-2010, 09:09 AM
had to bump this.

isner match is over and they are still talking about it while the number one player in the world is playing.

pathetic i mean all happy for isner and mahut but is it necessary to show replay of the last two games.

i bet if mahut won this wouldn't have happened.

jamesblakefan#1
06-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I agree actually. I guess they're replaying it b/c it was over on ESPNU, but the talk the whole morning about it, before it even started, while only showing 1 or 2 other matches is really annoying. That and the coverage of the Queen was overboard. Americans don't care about the Queen!

sillymonkey
06-24-2010, 09:14 AM
had to bump this.

isner match is over and they are still talking about it while the number one player in the world is playing.

pathetic i mean all happy for isner and mahut but is it necessary to show replay of the last two games.

i bet if mahut won this wouldn't have happened.

I hate ESPN tennis coverage.

TMF
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
ESPN2 coverage really sucks. It's all about American players. They are showing court #14 simply b/c McHale(who is she?) is an Americans.

I've have terrible feeling they will show airing the WS, Roddick and all of the US players most of the time, ignoring other better matches. I know it's mean but sometime i wish the US players get elimiminated so they can air the main matches.

BrooklynNY
06-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Get a high speed internet connection and an HD monitor.

TMF
06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Get a high speed internet connection and an HD monitor.

ESPN2 HD >>>>>> Internet HD

BrooklynNY
06-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I agree, I have all available platforms in the US... I'm just saying for other people who don't

Tammo
06-20-2011, 08:45 AM

I understand because I don't have TC either, but try searching for Fromsport on the internet.

Tennis Is Magic
06-20-2011, 08:47 AM
ESPN2 coverage really sucks. It's all about American players. They are showing court #14 simply b/c McHale(who is she?) is an Americans.

I've have terrible feeling they will show airing the WS, Roddick and all of the US players most of the time, ignoring other better matches. I know it's mean but sometime i wish the US players get elimiminated so they can air the main matches.

McHale won in 3rd set 8-6. Not a good match? LOL

Pwned
06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
I have to give credit to ESPN. Even though I don't usually like their choice in match to show on TV they do show tennis. And ESPN3 rocks. Their announcers are better than the tennis channel and I don't get tennis channel HD.

timeisonmyside
06-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Did ESPN really promote Pam Shriver from court side reporter to commentary booth? Don't they focus group these things? I can't stand her! Chris Evert can be good, but Pam is making her talk waaaaay too much.

dirtballer
06-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Did ESPN really promote Pam Shriver from court side reporter to commentary booth? Don't they focus group these things? I can't stand her! Chris Evert can be good, but Pam is making her talk waaaaay too much.

Pam and Chris are talking more about each other and how it was in their day than they are the match.

timeisonmyside
06-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Pam and Chris are talking more about each other and how it was in their day than they are the match.

Exactly, sounds like two old sorority sisters talking about "the good 'ol days."

firefox
06-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Exactly, sounds like two old sorority sisters talking about "the good 'ol days."

WAHAHAHAHAHA!! :)

sillymonkey
06-20-2011, 09:00 AM
We know this for sure...
1. They'll show any match with an US player, regardless of rank/quality/other matches.
2. They'll show a Serena/Venus match on an endless loop during rain delays.
3. They'll over-hype over-analyze everything.

Dick Enberg still hasn't retired...the only saving grace is they sacked Mary Carillo.

firefox
06-20-2011, 09:06 AM
4. They will show all lame Pova matches.

fundrazer
06-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Ugh, now in rain delay and we have to get a isner mahut recap. Why can't they just let us forget about that abomination of a match.

FedererBestTennis
06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
ESPN3 is showing a Venus Williams press conference...:evil:

mike84
06-20-2011, 11:43 AM
so ESPN reminding ever single commercial break about isner mahut match spending 10-15 minutes

then ending the segment showing american progress

even though murray gimeno match is live

TMF
06-20-2011, 12:02 PM
McHale won in 3rd set 8-6. Not a good match? LOL

I preferred the bigger match, bigger name, like Schiavone's match on center court or Berdych's match. They can show the highlight of an unkown McHale later on.

TMF
06-20-2011, 12:09 PM
There's a combined total of 19 US players in the men and women competing at Wimbledon.

jamesblakefan#1
06-20-2011, 12:30 PM
RE: Americans getting coverage - why are people still surprised by this after all these years? ESPN is an American network so of course US players will get more attention.

babolat king
06-20-2011, 12:30 PM

agreed...anything, even doubles matches over ANY womans match. i am so tired of the grunting and screetching every freakin point, its soo annoying!!

tacou
06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
ESPN3 has almost every court covered....the HD, on my laptop at least, is as good as television, and I can cycle through the matches when I please.

If ESPN dropped Wimbledon I wonder what American broadcaster would pick it up, and I wonder if they'd air it 11-12 hours a day

Kaz00
06-20-2011, 04:32 PM
If you have Direct Tv you can watch that 6 live channel thing.

BobFL
06-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Today's coverage was truly sub par. However, I hooked up my TV with laptop via hdmi and I am watching espn3.com Great solution for espn-frustrated folks like myself :)

Ronaldo
06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Today's coverage was truly sub par. However, I hooked up my TV with laptop via hdmi and I am watching espn3.com Great solution for espn-frustrated folks like myself :)

There is no pressure to perform because of ESPN3. They can be as bad as they wanna be now.

timeisonmyside
06-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Yes!! Darren Cahill just put Drysdale in his place! Cliffy just made the annoyingly stupid comment that Kukushkin can play like he has "nothing to lose" against Federer.

Of course he has something to lose - a Wimbledon first round. Cahill essentially says that if you play like you have nothing to lose, then your shot selection goes out the window. Kukushkin has to raise his game to beat Fed yes, but he has to do it within his own comfort zone and see where that takes him first.

Andyroddickfan
06-21-2011, 08:26 AM
This is freaking terrible. There is a great 5 setter going on along with the fed match and espn is showing a FREAKING Serena press conference?? First of all she's terrible, so monotone. Second of all what an embarrassment. And with espn they go back to their studio like every 30 minutes to give crap insight, brutal. Common TSN go back to using the coverage of the British guys, all they do is show matches and most of the time it's mens matches. So frustrating.

norbac
06-21-2011, 08:29 AM
This is freaking terrible. There is a great 5 setter going on along with the fed match and espn is showing a FREAKING Serena press conference?? First of all she's terrible, so monotone. Second of all what an embarrassment. And with espn they go back to their studio like every 30 minutes to give crap insight, brutal. Common TSN go back to using the coverage of the British guys, all they do is show matches and most of the time it's mens matches. So frustrating.

+1 .

Andyroddickfan
06-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Ya espn don't worry about the 5 set thriller with macros and Blake, let's listen to federer answer crap questions. Terrible

Hewex
06-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Thank goodness for Direct TV and the BBC coverage....I never watch the ESPN feed.

jamesblakefan#1
06-21-2011, 10:09 AM
The coverage to this point has been off...too many interviews and not enough tennis. And the double box, especially when one box is just people talking and not actual tennis, should be banned.

Andyroddickfan
06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I live in Canada so I watch whatever tsn covers, the past 2 tourneys its been some British guys that was some good stuff, but this one is espn. I love fed and all but I mean common.

mike84
06-21-2011, 10:12 AM
the questions to roger were cringe worthy

go back to blake match

here we go again everything stops time to preview mahut and isner match over and over

they have shown this segment 30 times now

Andyroddickfan
06-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Haha, I know right. Like holy crap they show it like 20 times a day and every time these losers try to analyze it and other garbage. Amazing match I know but let's be real here, there's tennis on.

jamesblakefan#1
06-21-2011, 10:23 AM
the questions to roger were cringe worthy

go back to blake match

here we go again everything stops time to preview mahut and isner match over and over

they have shown this segment 30 times now

The only thing worse than watching the Isner Mahut match over and over is hearing people talk about watching the match...over and over.

Hannah Storm "My neck was hurting". REALLY? Boo freaking hoo, you sit in a chair for a living, you really think we care that you had to watch some match for 3 days and get paid for it? I mean come on, let's get this over with and move on.

ChipNCharge
06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
ESPN sucks. James Blake is in a five set battle with Bags and ESPN cuts over to a studio interview with a foreignor, so we can all hear him say, "I need to serve well" and "I need to return better".

Pinkskunk
06-21-2011, 10:49 AM
ESPN online has 4 live streams for tennis, 2 of which airing Mahut and Isner............. i mean.......WTF???? i really really really hope and pray Isner get eliminated so that we dont have to live with this bs airing anymore.............

mike84
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
aghhhhhhh TSN sucks for covering ESPN coverage

now ESPN deciding to show replay of serena from today while there is still live tennis on

sphinx780
06-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Thank goodness for ESPN 3 so I could watch the matches I wanted. ESPN has always been horrible on their coverage. Unfortunately, I do not see this changing and it makes it all the more frustrating that I have to go to them for the solution to the problem they cause.

Here (http://www.imation.com/en-us/Imation-Products/Link-Wireless-AV-Extender1/) is a great way to hook it up to your TV if using HDMI is cumbersome...

tacou
06-21-2011, 01:23 PM
ESPN online has 4 live streams for tennis, 2 of which airing Mahut and Isner............. i mean.......WTF???? i really really really hope and pray Isner get eliminated so that we dont have to live with this bs airing anymore.............

this is incorrect... ESPN online had 8 or more courts all day, only 1 of which was Isner/Manhut. I look forward to Isner/Fed 4th round

vandre
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM

+ 5 billion ftw!!!!!!

why don't they just call it "williams-don" because espn will only show you those and miss some amazing tennis as a result!

BreakPoint
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
ESPN3 has almost every court covered....the HD, on my laptop at least, is as good as television, and I can cycle through the matches when I please.

That's impossible, unless your laptop has a 42 inch screen and you have a multi-gigabit speed internet connection. :)

Gasolina
06-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Can you watch live from ESPN online even if you're not in the states?

LDVTennis
06-21-2011, 02:34 PM
What you are seeing on ESPN may be ESPN's silent admission that tennis alone does not pay the bills. So, ESPN's producers are trying to pay the bills by making the Tennis TODAY show. Instead of Ann Curry, it's Chris Evert in the studio with Brad and company.

vandre
06-21-2011, 04:43 PM
What you are seeing on ESPN may be ESPN's silent admission that tennis alone does not pay the bills. So, ESPN's producers are trying to pay the bills by making the Tennis TODAY show. Instead of Ann Curry, it's Chris Evert in the studio with Brad and company.

so brad gilbert is espn's answer to matt lauer?

Ronaldo
06-21-2011, 05:26 PM
so brad gilbert is espn's answer to matt lauer?

More like Willard Scott

dcdoorknob
06-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Meh, I haven't even watched actual ESPN2 coverage yet.

I've been all over ESPN3 though. That stuff will get you spoiled. What? Almagro/Nieminen are in a tiebreak on court 16? Well let's skip over there and catch it. Oh, that Hewitt/Nishikori match is getting tight, let's put that in the PIP. Fed's in the 2nd set and I am now both certain of the outcome consequently a little bored? Flip on over to some other court. No commercials (except on center and court #1 I think?), no interviews, and I can even watch the first game of a set if I choose to do so.

BobFL
06-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Meh, I haven't even watched actual ESPN2 coverage yet.

I've been all over ESPN3 though. That stuff will get you spoiled. What? Almagro/Nieminen are in a tiebreak on court 16? Well let's skip over there and catch it. Oh, that Hewitt/Nishikori match is getting tight, let's put that in the PIP. Fed's in the 2nd set and I am now both certain of the outcome consequently a little bored? Flip on over to some other court. No commercials (except on center and court #1 I think?), no interviews, and I can even watch the first game of a set if I choose to do so.

Haha you are right! :)

Btw, why would you skip over? How about mosaic view? 4 matches at the same time! :)

TMF
06-22-2011, 08:31 AM
UNBELIEVABLE !

They are showing Marty Fish on court #2 but ignore Nadal playing on Center Court.:twisted:

ChipNCharge
06-22-2011, 08:35 AM
They are showing Marty Fish on court #2 but ignore Nadal playing on Center Court.:twisted:

Good! I'd much rather watch Mardy Fish than some foreignor that can barely speak English.

TMF
06-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Good! I'd much rather watch Mardy Fish than some foreignor that can barely speak English.

You are watching tennis in action, not an interview.:?

BrooklynNY
06-22-2011, 08:43 AM
I feel like ESPN's tennis coverage is just a bunch of talking heads, and no real tennis coverage.

ChipNCharge
06-22-2011, 08:43 AM
You are watching tennis in action, not an interview.:?

Hey, just noticed the Spanish Topspin Monkey is playing Ryan Sweeting. Go, Ryan!

BobFL
06-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Actually, this is very funny :)

Dutch-Guy
06-22-2011, 09:21 AM

I'd much rather watch Rafa play than read your botched English.

tacou
06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
anyone catch Gasquet on espn3, he was playing fantastic

courtking
06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
that's why I wish the American players (specially WTA players) lost early so they don't have to cover singles, doubles, mix doubles, toilet break on them while top 4 ATP players in the world is playing.. oh yeah.. MAttek Sands.. what a weirdo.. !!

fed_rulz
06-23-2011, 06:25 AM
seriously espn!!!! is covering serena's entire walk back to the locker room after her match with halep more important than showing live tennis (Soderling vs hewitt or Djoker's)??? i'm sick of this..

jamesblakefan#1
06-23-2011, 08:39 AM
5th set of Hewitt-Sod and they're showing an interview w/ Djoker...terrible.

dcdoorknob
06-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Soderling/Hewitt goes to a deciding 5th set.

What does ESPN2 do? Oh about 10 straight minutes of fluff + a Djokovic interview. The miss the first 3+ games of the 5th set (!!!), which, by the way, included a Hewitt break.

Thank God for ESPN3.

jackson vile
06-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Soderling/Hewitt goes to a deciding 5th set.

What does ESPN2 do? Oh about 10 straight minutes of fluff + a Djokovic interview. The miss the first 3+ games of the 5th set (!!!), which, by the way, included a Hewitt break.

Thank God for ESPN3.

That is the catch, they are forcing people to do what they want ie pay for more services that they should not have to pay for.

It was way better when the slams where on the tennis channel for free.

It is ending up like MTv, no tennis just all the left over BS

Defcon
06-23-2011, 09:29 AM
The US has by far the worst sports coverage - the only thing they want to show is NFL, NBA, baseball and bloody golf. Of course lets not forget the all time hits like bowling, curling, shooting, fishing and basically anything niche except what the rest of the world plays - F1, tennis, soccer etc.

Other countries where you pay far less for tv give you much better coverage and its less biased. At least that's been my experience.

volleygirl
06-23-2011, 09:32 AM
that's why I wish the American players (specially WTA players) lost early so they don't have to cover singles, doubles, mix doubles, toilet break on them while top 4 ATP players in the world is playing.. oh yeah.. MAttek Sands.. what a weirdo.. !!

Mattek Sands is an embarassment. She has to dress outrageous because she knows thats the only way her name will be mentioned.

Donny0627
06-23-2011, 09:36 AM
one word ofr you: agreed...

timeisonmyside
06-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Hannah Storm looked HAWT in that little black dress today.

TMF
06-24-2011, 09:48 AM
ESPN2 is at it again....showing more interview and ignoring Nadal's match.

Shaolin
06-24-2011, 09:58 AM
ESPN2 is at it again....showing more interview and ignoring Nadal's match.

Yeah its pathetic ..yet another boring mundane Williams interview being shown instead of one of the many live matches..including the world #1 in a close match.

pound cat
06-24-2011, 04:04 PM
ESPN US feed is unfortunately being shown in Canada...I am tired of watching a whole lot of WTA and intervuews of the Williams. I wonder what ESPN will do when they retire.

Fortunately I can watch every match being played on a British betting site...unfortunately for Americans they are not allowed to have anything to do with gambling on the internet. I guess the IRS would not be able to track money won in order to tax it.

pound cat
06-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Mattek Sands is an embarassment. She has to dress outrageous because she knows thats the only way her name will be mentioned.

The same goes for Lady Gaga! How popular would she be if ahe wore nice little dresses such as these?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVZuiAWHPYZSY0ZU1slP11ElbJnYgCT ZKFeyi9CyJatL95tMUf

pound cat
06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Here's Mattek-Sands choice for next years grass court season. She plans ahead,

http://media.ebcu.com/product/imgage/20100729/1aa45a164625b81f23f7aeb775649ebe.jpg

sunnyIce
06-24-2011, 04:56 PM
somebody please put espn out of business. american coverage of non-american sports is the pits.

NYKings
06-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not reading through all the posts but my question here is...

if you know rain is in the forecast EVERY day can't you time it so your interviews are during rain delays rather than during a LIVE match?!?!

ESPN3 is a godsend though. Great quality live streaming. It's actually quicker than my TV. Points end a second or two earlier online.

mike84
06-25-2011, 07:27 AM
how great is that

ESPN showing williams vs kirilenko

and ignoring roger vs david

GhostDog
06-25-2011, 07:37 AM
how great is that

ESPN showing williams vs kirilenko

and ignoring roger vs david

Was going to complain about this. Pathetic. :evil:

fundrazer
06-25-2011, 07:42 AM
NBC takes over at 1pm, I wonder if they might be tape delaying that match. Has ESPN mentioned the score of that one? If they haven't it's probably because they are not allowed to because of NBC.

Tobias Fünke
06-25-2011, 07:43 AM
NBC takes over at 1pm, I wonder if they might be tape delaying that match. Has ESPN mentioned the score of that one? If they haven't it's probably because they are not allowed to because of NBC.

Yes, they mentioned who won the first set (no spoilers). I think NBC will probably show it though.

TMF
06-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Yes, they mentioned who won the first set (no spoilers). I think NBC will probably show it though.

Wouldn't that be crazy if NBC decides to replay Serena's match instead. Maybe even Fish's match. You never know.

slice bh compliment
06-25-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm generally quick to bemoan coverage, but this is one of those things....NBC got the rights to the Roger match and advertised it, too. Same with the Djokr/Baghdatis match.
So, ESPN must show Serena. Serena...Serenity Now.

So, I'm watching this now....and learning how smartly Serena's PR people have been working. I'm referring to that story about making friends with the 5 yr old English child with the brain tumor....likening his illness to hers...and timing a visit with her return to Wimbledon. All good, but my favorite part was that she is publicizing the fact that she is not publicizing it. That's just genius.

fundrazer
06-25-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm generally quick to bemoan coverage, but this is one of those things....NBC got the rights to the Roger match and advertised it, too. Same with the Djokr/Baghdatis match.
So, ESPN must show Serena. Serena...Serenity Now.

So, I'm watching this now....and learning how smartly Serena's PR people have been working. I'm referring to that story about making friends with the 5 yr old English child with the brain tumor....likening his illness to hers...and timing a visit with her return to Wimbledon. All good, but my favorite part was that she is publicizing the fact that she is not publicizing it. That's just genius.

That's what I figured. Although, I thought ESPN wouldn't be allowed to mention the score. Beats me.

TMF
06-25-2011, 08:30 AM
ESPN2 just said they will show Fed after the conclusiion of Serena's match.

sunnyIce
06-25-2011, 08:41 AM
can we all decide to boycott espn?

can the people rise against the powers?

ollinger
06-25-2011, 08:43 AM
I've noted many times here that advertisers prefer the audience for women's tennis. ESPN switches to the likely end of the Fed match only after showing the Serena match, and shows mostly the Sharapova match instead of the Fish match. This greater commercial value is why the women should probably receive MORE prize money than the men.

FedEx23
06-25-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm not going to boycott ESPN as I want to watch the tennis

sunnyIce
06-25-2011, 08:44 AM
I've noted many times here that advertisers prefer the audience for women's tennis. ESPN switches to the likely end of the Fed match only after showing the Serena match, and shows mostly the Sharapova match instead of the Fish match. This greater commercial value is why the women should probably receive MORE prize money than the men.

what value? hahahaha....
most of the girls i know who play tennis, much much prefer to watch mens tennis...hahahahahaha

ollinger
06-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Economic value. Advertisers know that women make 80% of household purchasing decisions according to numerous studies. Adult woman (you don't sound like an adult to me, so I'm guessing your friends are also children) prefer women's tennis matches (data my daughter showed me when she worked for ABC/ESPN), which is why ESPN shows Sharapova and Serena instead of Fish and Fed. Understand?

NIKEtennis94'
06-25-2011, 09:26 AM
The same goes for Lady Gaga! How popular would she be if ahe wore nice little dresses such as these?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVZuiAWHPYZSY0ZU1slP11ElbJnYgCT ZKFeyi9CyJatL95tMUf

excuse me...she would still be an amazingly talented artist

GOAT BAAH!!!
06-25-2011, 09:55 AM
excuse me...she would still be an amazingly talented artist

But still unknown...she tried for years and couldn't make it as Stef Germanotta, so she dialed up the outlandishness to appeal to the least common denominator when she was amazing as herself...people bought into the biggest pop culture self loathing identity crisis since MJ....

anyway back on topic...

These Dick Enberg reflections on previous Wimbledon montages in lieu of live matches has to stop........

sillymonkey
06-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I know it's like beating a dead horse, but the coverage on both espn and nbc is so lame. I can't understand why they'll continue to show a beat-down Williams match instead of a competitive anyone else match that's at a crucial point. I just don't get it.

BreakPoint
06-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Unbelievable! Instead of showing the Federer-Nalbandian and Nadal-Muller matches today, ESPN shows in full the Serena and Screamapova matches instead!!! :mad:

I woke up at 4:30am PST to watch the Nadal and Federer matches for nothing!! Only getting 4 hours of sleep is not fun! Thanks ESPN. :???:

I really wish the William sisters and Screampova would just lose asap so that we won't be forced to watch their matches any more! :mad:

We want to watch the best players in the world, and that would be Federer and Nadal. So unless the William sisters and Screamapova can beat Federer and Nadal, we don't need to watch them. But we know both Federer and Nadal would double-bagel all of them. :oops:

TMF
06-25-2011, 12:33 PM
They are showing the replay of Serena on NBC. Too bad for the one who were unable to see Fed's in action.

slice bh compliment
06-25-2011, 12:33 PM
^I with you. I'm sad, too. But to be surprised, man, after all these years?
Come on BP. You are a purist. An actual tennis fan. They are not catering to you. They are catering to Madison Avenue and the casual fan who thinks Sharapova and Serena are the faces of tennis.

Manus Domini
06-25-2011, 12:35 PM
ESPN3 is down right now >.<

LDVTennis
06-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Economic value. Advertisers know that women make 80% of household purchasing decisions according to numerous studies. Adult woman (you don't sound like an adult to me, so I'm guessing your friends are also children) prefer women's tennis matches (data my daughter showed me when she worked for ABC/ESPN), which is why ESPN shows Sharapova and Serena instead of Fish and Fed. Understand?

I don't know.

One of the advertisers in today's coverage was Mercedes.

I just did a test drive/focus group for their new ML 320 (coming this fall). The focus group was made up all men.

Of course, I turned the channel after NBC's coverage of the Djokovic match. There might have been no Mercedes ads after that.

Murrayfan31
06-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Unbelievable! Instead of showing the Federer-Nalbandian and Nadal-Muller matches today, ESPN shows in full the Serena and Screamapova matches instead!!! :mad:

I woke up at 4:30am PST to watch the Nadal and Federer matches for nothing!! Only getting 4 hours of sleep is not fun! Thanks ESPN. :???:

I really wish the William sisters and Screampova would just lose asap so that we won't be forced to watch their matches any more! :mad:

We want to watch the best players in the world, and that would be Federer and Nadal. So unless the William sisters and Screamapova can beat Federer and Nadal, we don't need to watch them. But we know both Federer and Nadal would double-bagel all of them. :oops:
Well you got to watch plenty of their matches already. It's not like there was that much drama on what would happen.

slice bh compliment
06-25-2011, 12:58 PM
^It is not about the drama. It's about watching the matches, point by point, game by game.
For a match to be a pleasure to watch, it does not have to be a 5 set thriller.
The bits of the Daveed/Rog match I did see were just great. I wish I had gotten to see the whole thing.
The Rafa/Muller match had some good stuff, too.

The Serena match? Yeah, I could've done w/o the forced PR vignettes and the cruddy tennis.
The Sharapova match? Whatever.

Emet74
06-25-2011, 02:11 PM
I think because it's the weekend they cater more to the casual viewer who would be interested in the Serena comeback.

I was annoyed as a fed fan but I do understand. Thank goodness for live streaming on the computer.

whomad15
06-25-2011, 02:18 PM
watch it on the computer?
or better yet, be a geek and *gasp* hook your computer up to your TV and stream it!
I'm assuming everyone has a TV that isn't from 1989 though.

Tammo
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Go to Fromsport. you can choose which matches you want and don't have to watch a match you don't want to.

GOAT BAAH!!!
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Direct TV has really bailed me out in the slams for the past year since I switched from cable...

The first week of slams is legendary with the 6 channels.

Espn is in clown mode with it's interviews and montages.

NBC will botch the semis...

...theres always next year...sigh

PowerVu
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Someone please tell me which channels air Wimbledon matches.

I wanna subscribe and I dunno exactly how I can have ALL channels together showing Tennis in east America!

TSN
CBS
FOX Sports
ESPN

Which one(s)? I'm confused!

Suppose that it is morning in the US and 12pm local time in the UK (Start of the matches). Now, which channels I should have to get the best possible all-courts coverage here?

It doesn't matter if it is on Cable or Satellite or both. Since I wanna watch in High Def, I'm not willing to use streams via the internet anymore.

Thanks

BreakPoint
06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
watch it on the computer?
or better yet, be a geek and *gasp* hook your computer up to your TV and stream it!
I'm assuming everyone has a TV that isn't from 1989 though.
Why should I have to deal with a blurry, jittery picture that freezes, stutters, and skips or sometimes the audio doesn't sync with the video? I should be able to watch it without any of the above problems on a big 42" TV in glorious HD. Streaming does not come anywhere near the quality of HD broadcast TV.

Shaolin
06-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Why should I have to deal with a blurry, jittery picture that freezes, stutters, and skips or sometimes the audio doesn't sync with the video? I should be able to watch it without any of the above problems on a big 42" TV in glorious HD. Streaming does not come anywhere near the quality of HD broadcast TV.

Amen! I don't know why everyone is so ready and willing to settle for a crappy online picture when its a thousand times better on an actual tv.

Sentinel
06-26-2011, 03:46 AM
BP, visit India during the slams. You'll get coverage in your hotel room. Prolly save some money too since your dollar will go a long way here.

TMF
06-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Spot on. This is coming from a 42" TV owner, but many people include myself have a 60" feel even worse for having to watch a tiny sceen on the computer. Not to mention having to give up 5.1 DD surround sound quality.

Lucky for the Serena lovers...they are having a ball since NBC also love Serena.

tacou
06-26-2011, 09:33 AM
why dont you stop bragging about the size of your tv and get a satellite

TMF
06-26-2011, 09:44 AM

I like to brag b/c I'm spoiled.:)

I have Dish Network. But that's not the point....ESNP2 and NBC(public broadcasting) not showing Fed's match, period !

TripleB
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
I'd rather have ESPN/Tennis Channel show it that NBC. Year after year after year NBC tries to fit three commercials in during change overs so you always miss the first point of every game. I understand it's all about money to them but year after year and change over after change over is unforgiveable!!!

I will say however, when ESPN was doing an interview with one of the Willams sisters instead of showing Marty Fish battling his heart out, I was a little upset!

TripleB

Fee
06-26-2011, 11:55 AM

I wonder if TV size is inversely proportional, like the size and height of truck tires. ;)

firefox
06-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Watching Serena interviews on a 60" HD TV is like watching a bad horror movie. :evil:

West Coast Ace
06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
...not showing Fed's match, period !If you switched from Dish to DirecTV you would have seen all of Fed's match. Hoping to DVR his match with Youzhny tomorrow.

I switched over - might have been by accident - and Hannah Storm, Chrissie, and some other unidentified female were cackling like hens about something - now that's good tennis coverage - not!