PDA

View Full Version : Official already: FO is the worst GS

Leonidas
05-27-2010, 03:33 AM
IŽll keep it simple: worst crowd ( a great majority think so), no lights even on central court (pathetic), no roof (WB and AO do have a roof on main court) and no criterion. The last straw, yesterday, the French Federation is censoring the pathetic video of the last game of the match Fognini-monfils, played completely in the dark, where both players could barely push the ball to the other side, lit by the scoreboard. The rest of the matches had finished several minutes ago, score was 4-4. Certainly one of the most pathetic moments in the history of GS

vortex1
05-27-2010, 03:34 AM
You are obviously a hater of "tradition".

cucio
05-27-2010, 03:42 AM
As long as there is karaoke everything can be forgiven and forgotten. RG rocks!

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-27-2010, 03:43 AM
My fave slam, but as far as the organization, it is a nightmare.

Courts:
1. RG
2. AO
3. Wimby
4. USO

Organized:
1. Wimby
2. AO
3. USO
4. Cincy
7230. RG

Spin-A-Lot
05-27-2010, 04:03 AM
You are obviously a hater of "tradition".

Even Wimbledon eventually upgraded with the new roof and all....what can't RG?

malakas
05-27-2010, 04:13 AM
No,the worst is Cincy.

aphex
05-27-2010, 04:19 AM
No,the worst is Cincy.

how can you say that about the Real Slam?

MotherMarjorie
05-27-2010, 04:44 AM
The French Federation is going through the same growing pains that the Australian Federation went through when they decided to move to Melbourne Park.

They know in order to stay competitive with the other Grand Slam tournaments in attendance, etc. they need bigger stadiums, upgraded grounds, etc. Progress takes time, and its not a simple process to move or upgrade an 80 year old grand slam event. Reaching consensus and bringing the tennis community along can be a daunting process.

drakulie
05-27-2010, 04:46 AM
I love the fact they haven't installed lights or a roof. That said, I think what happened in the Monfils match is a disgrace. They only allowed it to continue because he had momentum. Pathetic.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-27-2010, 05:09 AM
I think what happened in the Monfils match is a disgrace. They only allowed it to continue because he had momentum. Pathetic.

Interesting.

Dutch-Guy
05-27-2010, 05:17 AM
The lack of lights and retractable roof makes things even worse. Even our public courts have lights. *Sigh*

Totai
05-27-2010, 05:20 AM
FO is meant to play in daylight, hence no lights.

RG = Best slam

laboule
05-27-2010, 05:25 AM
Agreed, Roland Garros is the best slam.

Cassius Clay
05-27-2010, 05:30 AM
It should be played in Spain, better weather and the best clay courters are from there.

caesar66
05-27-2010, 05:35 AM
It should be played in Spain, better weather and the best clay courters are from there.

Yes because it would make sense for the French open to be played in Spain. I appreciate the tradition of Roland Garros, but it is by far my least favorite slam. That said, my opinion of the event does not relegate it to "official worst slam" status. To each their own in preferences, but each slam stands alone in its own right as legitimate.

Nanshiki
05-27-2010, 05:39 AM

It cost $80 million dollars.

Mustard
05-27-2010, 05:43 AM

Ion Tiriac was making some noises last year about Madrid being a future slam in tennis. And there were also rumours late last year that the French Open could move away from Roland Garros after 2015. Future Spanish Open as a major? Who knows.

Totai
05-27-2010, 05:45 AM

If they put a roof on RG, then all the Nadal Conspiracy theorists would come out saying that RG put a roof on there to block the rain, so courts remain dry and fast so Nadal can be beaten.

Mustard
05-27-2010, 05:49 AM
If they put a roof on RG, then all the Nadal Conspiracy theorists would come out saying that RG put a roof on there to block the rain, so courts remain dry and fast so Nadal can be beaten.

Nadal loves the conditions dry and fast at Roland Garros.

cknobman
05-27-2010, 06:03 AM
I love the courts but hate the tournament as a whole.

RG sucks

Hitman
05-27-2010, 06:05 AM
I like RG, but it's third for me after W and USO.

zapvor
05-27-2010, 06:53 AM
IŽll keep it simple: worst crowd ( a great majority think so), no lights even on central court (pathetic), no roof (WB and AO do have a roof on main court) and no criterion. The last straw, yesterday, the French Federation is censoring the pathetic video of the last game of the match Fognini-monfils, played completely in the dark, where both players could barely push the ball to the other side, lit by the scoreboard. The rest of the matches had finished several minutes ago, score was 4-4. Certainly one of the most pathetic moments in the history of GS

its actually just your opinion. not official in any way

ViscaB
05-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Hello. I'm new here. I'll hope to get a better welcome than Rafa does in Paris;).

I love the FO. Just hate the crowd. They are just there for themselves to look pretty. Unlike the other 3 GS where you have proper tennis fans. The tournament resembles the city it's played in. A great city but one that has been standing still for decades.

hoodjem
05-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Ahhh, but it is in Paris mon ami.

FO>>USO/AO

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2010, 08:28 AM
It's my least favorite slam, and yesterday reinforced that. Boring tennis, bad crowds, little to no excitement until the 2nd week, and now crappy officiating. Plus it almost always rains. Last year was an anomaly in that we had some interesting matches all throughout, no rain, and big upsets.

malakas
05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
every tennis player says that the crowd in Paris are the best and the most knowledgable.But I guess tw tennis experts know better.

jamesblakefan#1
05-27-2010, 08:36 AM
every tennis player says that the crowd in Paris are the best and the most knowledgable.But I guess tw tennis experts know better.

Maybe not 'bad' crowds in that aspect, but they can be very rowdy. And I'm not saying they're alone in that aspect - crowds @ the USO can be rowdy as well, and the crowds in Madrid were downright awful.

ViscaB
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Linkage??? I have never heard a player say that besides possibly Kurten.

The truth is that for many players Wimbledon is the holy grail even for a 4 times champion.

Shaolin
05-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Agreed. The way the run RG makes me ashamed to be 1/2 French. It could be a great, great tournament yet its run by *** clowns.

Rabbit
05-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I like the fact that they have no roof or lights. Garder la tradition vivante!

With regard to the Monfils match, yeah it was a travesty, but at least it introduced a little personality into tennis. And in the end, that's what you have to really love about tennis. Unfair courts, unfair balls, home field advantage, raucous crowds in favor of the home boy, corrupt umpires (that's for you Bruneau)...

I remember when the Italians basically hated anyone who played a homer at the Italian Open. Borg was pelted with coins when he played Panatta and he and Panatta agreed to basically call their own lines because both knew that Borg wouldn't get a fair shake from the Italian linesmen. Them were the days....

And in all fairness, it was dark on both sides of the court... :)

skip1969
05-27-2010, 09:34 AM
i think the word i'm looking for here is "over-reaction".

a questionable decision by the tourney ref (and players) and a ridiculous last two games played in the monfils/fognini match, and suddenly decades of history go down the tubes and roland garros is the worst slam? um . . . ok. oh wait, i forgot. they have no lights and the worst crowd, too. right.

every time it rained at wimby, or the players trotted onto the courts wearing all white, or there's no play on the middle sunday . . . the tennis whiz kids here at tw would babble on about how it was the worst slam.

when some great five-setter at the uso ends in a lame fifth-set tiebreak, or when it gets late and the new york crowd gets stupid, or when you finally make it to flushing but you can't see a damn thing from your nosebleed seats up in the rafters of authur ashe . . . then it's the worst slam.

when some fan throws a chair at someone, or it gets so hot that they have to stop play, or it takes 25 minutes for the roofs to close in melbourne . . . then it's the worst slam.

so basically, every time the conditions aren't perfect, a player you fancy loses, or there's a bad call . . . every time some fan acts a fool, or a tennis organization/club doesn't fork out some obscene amount of money to give you every bell and whistle you think you deserve (big screens, challenge system on every court, a big shiny roof or luxury boxes) . . . a slam sucks.

i get it now.

Stinkdyr
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=... Just hate the crowd. They are just there for themselves to look pretty. ...[/QUOTE]

we're so pretty, oh so pretty..............VACANT!

:-)

namelessone
05-27-2010, 11:37 AM
As much as I don't like the crowd behaviour,RG is second for me after WB because I love CC tennis.

The problem,besides some stupid crowd behaviour,is that RG has lagged behind. Is it really that uncommon for some rain to occur in Paris in late May-early June? So why not get a roof? Not to mention the fact that not having lights on center court is very embarrassing.All these traditionalists can go jump off a bridge. This screws with the players schedule and it forces some of them to play consecutive days,which you shouldn't do in a slam since you play three out of five.

Did WB getting a roof ruin it last year? Nope,it was a very good edition. The Murray-Wawrinka night match was one of the best of the tourney.

RG needs to get with the program. We are in the 21st century,we shouldn't depend on the weather for our tennis anymore people.

Leonidas
05-27-2010, 12:25 PM
As much as I don't like the crowd behaviour,RG is second for me after WB because I love CC tennis.

The problem,besides some stupid crowd behaviour,is that RG has lagged behind. Is it really that uncommon for some rain to occur in Paris in late May-early June? So why not get a roof? Not to mention the fact that not having lights on center court is very embarrassing.All these traditionalists can go jump off a bridge. This screws with the players schedule and it forces some of them to play consecutive days,which you shouldn't do in a slam since you play three out of five.

Did WB getting a roof ruin it last year? Nope,it was a very good edition. The Murray-Wawrinka night match was one of the best of the tourney.

RG needs to get with the program. We are in the 21st century,we shouldn't depend on the weather for our tennis anymore people.

I love clay court tennis too. In fact, i hate ace festivals unlike some posters claiming for ultra fast courts. I just hate the organization and the crowd in Roland garros.

Peters
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
FO is unique (although not my favourite) but I just feel sad when I sometimes see main courts only about 25% full (if that) in the evenings.

valiant
05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I love the the word in the title " OFFICIAL". Guessing who made it official.

P_Agony
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I think RG and Wimbly are the worst slams. I know, I'm in minority here, but I would take the great high quality play of the AO and the great atmosphere of the USO any day over those two.

Shaolin
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
I think RG and Wimbly are the worst slams. I know, I'm in minority here, but I would take the great high quality play of the AO and the great atmosphere of the USO any day over those two.

I agree with you. Im all for tradition but it used to be tradition to live in caves too. At least W is trying to modernize a little bit now. RG is just ridiculous.

P_Agony
05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree with you. Im all for tradition but it used to be tradition to live in caves too. At least W is trying to modernize a little bit now. RG is just ridiculous.

For me it's more than that - I love hard courts, I really don't like CC and gras tennis as much as hard courts. I'm all for tradition, I just enjoy the other slams more. The AO always provides many high quality five setters, and the USO always has a lot of drama with the crowd and in the matches. I'm not sure it's the right word, but AO and USO just feel 'cooler' than W and RG, for me.

malakas
05-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Linkage??? I have never heard a player say that besides possibly Kurten.

The truth is that for many players Wimbledon is the holy grail even for a 4 times champion.

I remember Wawrinka,Gonzalez,Federer say it on the top of my head feel free to find links.Most players say the RG crowd are the ones who know the best about tennis and it has nothing to do with what players consider their holy grail or most prestigious slam.

Badger
05-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Who gives a crap about rain and lights??? Okay, it's not ideal, but it can add a bit of drama with rain delays. French Open produces some great tennis. What needs to be looked at is the incident in the Foginini Monfils match, that was an absolute disgrace and people should be punished IMHO. But otherwise??? Roland Garros rocks!!!

veroniquem
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree. The site is very beautiful too, much more beautiful and less anonymous than the USO.

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 02:13 PM

so... Nadal has 4 of those crappy grand slams.... must not be really a big fan of his now are we?:twisted:

bluetrain4
05-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't think every Slam must have a roof. Rain delays, etc. have always been part of the game. Yes, every few years, it seriously screws up the schedule at the end of the tournament, but so be it. Tennis is, for the most part, an outdoor sport.

I think insistence on having a roof on every tennis stadium is just fans' impatience more than an actual need. So used to getting what they want, and so impatient, unable to take "no" for an answer. Why do people freak out because of a rain delay? Some fans' always put it in terms of the players - "it's so unfair to player A wh

Lights are good simply so matches which started during daylight can be finished that day. The French would benefit from this. They wouldn't even have to have actual night sessions like the USO and AO do. Lights would just there in case of "emergency". And, lights are, obviously, a good way to get the schedule back on track if there are rain delays, since you can start matches later.