PDA

View Full Version : Why do people care so much about tradition?

Cassius Clay
05-27-2010, 05:58 AM
I personally, with all due respect, don't give a **** about tradition, I don't care if a tournament is played since the discovery of fire or if an old big fish of yesteryear set up a big tennis event with uptight rules to inflate his ego.

What difference does it make?

By the same token, let's go back to slavery, it's an ancient tradition!!

Tennis schedule could be much better than it is right now, so why don't change it? Screw all those old tournaments that get in the way of a sensible season and start creating new ones with cutting-edge technology and stuff.

Rippy
05-27-2010, 06:01 AM
What traditions are you specifically referring to?

I think most people agree a roof at RG would be sensible.

statto
05-27-2010, 06:06 AM
The biggest tournaments make heaps of money for everyone involved.

If someone comes up with a tournament that doesn't conflict with a slam and offers ludicrous (more than slam level) prize money then tradition would take a back seat.

I also think that you can revamp the schedule without sacrificing tradition.

Jan-Mar: Indian Wells, Miami, Australian Open
Apr-Jun: Monte Carlo, Rome, Roland Garros
July: Queens, Wimbledon
Aug-Sep: Canada, Cincy, US Open
Oct: Shanghai, Paris, ATP Finals
Nov-Dec: Off-season

Dilettante
05-27-2010, 06:30 AM
Why do people care so much about tradition?

Because tennis has in fact little tradition: over the time, surfaces changed, racquets changed, tournaments changed, clasifications changed... everything changed really. Not to say many fans don't know a bit about tennis history and you don't even have to talk about pre-ATP era.

So some people likes to stick up with a few traditions tennis has: wearing white clothes in Wimbledon and so. As a sort of compensation for the lack of actual significant traditions, if you know what I mean.

jigar
05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Because thats what humans like to do, follow the traditions up to most extent.