PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one tired of the Longines/Agassi ad?

skyman
05-27-2010, 07:38 AM
I have seen the Longines/Agassi ad with its heart-rendering music hundreds of times. For the last year I have muted the ad as soon as it appears. Am I the only player/viewer who is worn out with this ad playing ad nauseum?

dropshot winner
05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
"elegance is an attitude" *YUCK*

If I ever needed a reason to never buy a Longines watch, it's that commercial.

nickynu
05-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Nothing else to worry you guys huh, or is it just the watch advert causing you this amount of pain and angst ? Hope it works out for you both.

El Diablo
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Now that ads for "Sex and the City II" are rolling, everything else on TV seems a little less irksome.

westside
05-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Now that ads for "Sex and the City II" are rolling, everything else on TV seems a little less irksome.

This is spot on

TheJRK
05-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Over here they keep showing the Sea Doo ad or whatever those damn jet skis are. I haven't seen the Longines ad in some time now. :???:

esm
05-27-2010, 10:43 AM
dont forget, ads like that usually "pays" for the tennis matches you get to see on the TV :-)

sureshs
05-27-2010, 12:25 PM
It sucks, especially now, after the real Agassi came forward in his book and showed the world how low he could go.

Janne
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
It has only become a bit weird ever since I heard the news about Agassi coming out with his drug usage and such. Other than that, I don't really care.

Cindysphinx
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I never liked that ad. It gives the impression that Agassi and Steffi are personally tutoring these kids, which is unnecessary and weird.

We get it. Their charity is doing good work. No need to go so far as to insinuate that they are personally teaching the four "R"s (Reading, Writing, 'Rithmatic and Respect).

sureshs
05-27-2010, 01:57 PM
What bothers me is that the school is said to have a 100% college acceptance rate. Makes me wonder if political pressure is being exerted to admit the kids and make the school look good.

West Coast Ace
05-27-2010, 07:44 PM
dont forget, ads like that usually "pays" for the tennis matches you get to see on the TV :-)That is true. But couldn't they do another commercial?

What bothers me is that the school is said to have a 100% college acceptance rate. Makes me wonder if political pressure is being exerted to admit the kids and make the school look good.Possible. But I think it just shows that if you take any kids and teach them discipline and hard work and education, they can succeed. Basically the anti-Democratic handbook - no automatic move to the next grade, no dumbing down the classes to make sure everyone succeeds, no lazy Unionized teachers who think they're worth $100k/yr.

Pwned
05-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes. That commercial is so old now as well which only makes it worse.

ollinger
05-27-2010, 08:08 PM
The ad gives the impression Andre and Steffi tutor the kids? Really??!! Let's be less literal and concrete in our thinking. Did with ad with Andre driving the school's bus give you the impression that Andre gets up every morning and motors the kids to school? No, me neither. No, the ads are just intended to depict Andre's commitment to the school, and that's quite a special thing. How many people can you think of who, in their spare time, went about building a school by the time they had turned 30?

rommil
05-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Cue piano intro. BTW what does the first kid say? It sounds like he says "I learn average".

Fifth Set
05-27-2010, 09:44 PM
It was a good commercial - the first five million times they played it.

Enough already!

West Coast Ace
05-28-2010, 12:57 PM
How many people can you think of who, in their spare time, went about building a school by the time they had turned 30?I didn't see anyone challenging his effort. Just this incredibly boring and repeated commercial. And the TV industry wonders why people choose to use DVRs more and more and zoom past commercials. Unfortunately lives sports doesn't afford us this option.

sureshs
05-28-2010, 01:04 PM
That is true. But couldn't they do another commercial?

Possible. But I think it just shows that if you take any kids and teach them discipline and hard work and education, they can succeed. Basically the anti-Democratic handbook - no automatic move to the next grade, no dumbing down the classes to make sure everyone succeeds, no lazy Unionized teachers who think they're worth $100k/yr.

There is no automatic move to any grade any more, quite a few detentions. Even students in Kindergarten are being detained.

Teachers don't make 100K a year, only maybe the Principal does.

Don't believe the propoganda. Rather focus on how private elite schools create overseas trips so that their students can claim to have done humanitarian work, and then send teachers to "educate" college admissions officers why these rich kids must be admitted.

It is better than many schools get some money more instead of some school named after a drug user to be showered with grants.

Rockitdog
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM
horrible- its been on every commercial break.

West Coast Ace
05-28-2010, 02:14 PM
There is no automatic move to any grade any more, quite a few detentions. Even students in Kindergarten are being detained.

Teachers don't make 100K a year, only maybe the Principal does.

Don't believe the propoganda. Rather focus on how private elite schools create overseas trips so that their students can claim to have done humanitarian work, and then send teachers to "educate" college admissions officers why these rich kids must be admitted.

It is better than many schools get some money more instead of some school named after a drug user to be showered with grants.Suresh, you missed my point - but I take the blame for not making it clear. I was ripping the current failing US public school model that the Democrats are sticking us with (they block every effort to make schools and teachers accountable or to give parents choice - of course Barry can send his kids to private schools, but vouchers for the rest of us are evil). For instance, the Teacher's Union, claims the quality of education goes up if their teachers were paid $100k/yr (of course then they could get higher union dues out of them).

The Agassi school is the total opposite of the Democratic public school system. Kids take an oath every day to respect the teachers and their fellow students; those who don't get expelled - no complaining or whining or 2nd/3rd/15th chances - there's a huge line of people dying to get their kids in. No sugar coating of what is taught, no politically correct silliness - they are taught the core classes to prepare them for college; no teachers starting movies and then just sitting there reading a book while kids go wild.

esm
05-28-2010, 02:31 PM
That is true. But couldn't they do another commercial?

supposed they can, but that means Longines will have to fork out more money..... which might not be financial smart.

i bet someone will be complanting the Rolex as featuring Fed during Wimbeldon period....

rerember Fed in black suit playing tennis in the Rolex GMT Master ad? didnt really like that ad, but it hasnt stopped me from buying Rolex :-?

athiker
05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm glad the commercials support The Tennis Channel, I'm also glad Agassi and Graf have put effort and money into positive change and I am also SICK of the commercial running over and over and over and over and over and over...

To be a bit snippy, I have to admit after watching the Hit for Haiti 2 charity event, again kudos for being a part of it Agassi...he could've been lying on a beach somewhere, but he went down a notch in my mind in his behavior towards Sampras. So now when I hear the line: "I learned respect." over and over in the commercial, it sticks in my craw. Agassi may want to attend a few classes as a student at his school in that case. My 2c.

Gregnoris
05-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Like most people on this thread, I'm glad that Andre is doing some charity work but that commercial has gotten so repetitive, it seems like it's on every single commercial break on TTC.

Underhand
05-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Agassi should wear his toupee.

vsbabolat
05-30-2010, 06:02 AM
.................................................. .............

MAXXply
06-04-2010, 05:32 AM
I noticed, O.P, that this is your 1st post on these boards - evidently the Longines/Agassi ad must've driven you so NUTS that you rushed to join just to express your frustration. :)

The ad has been played ad infinitum here also. So much so that my normally placid, tennis-loving girlfriend has resorted to cursing his name every time the piano jingle appears. Her reaction to it now is almost Pavlovian in its conditioning...

ttbrowne
06-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Grating on the nerves! Bring back the McEnroe ad where he goes to the umpires house.