PDA

View Full Version : French not-so-warm attitude toward Nadal or just obsessed with Federer?

yellowoctopus
05-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I cannot figure out why the French would not go wild about Nadal, given that he has provided their Roland Garros with much excitement every year.

http://www.gototennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/rafael_nadal_french_open_loss.jpg

There is no denying the fact that they have much 'love' for Federer, after all he speaks their language also. One is left to wonder that the Frenchies' love of Federer that has turned them against Nadal?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2010/5/24/1274705548623/Roger-Federer-French-Open-006.jpg

zagor
05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I cannot figure out why the French would not go wild about Nadal, given that he has provided their Roland Garros with much excitement every year.

That's debatable,he certainly provides them with great display of claycourt tennis each year but he usually crushes competition completely and for people who don't like Nadal's playing style that's hardly exciting.

People like close,dramatic matches and Nadal has never even been pushed to 5 at FO.

Raphael
05-27-2010, 10:57 AM
The French crowds loved Agassi too. Its tough to say in many cases why an athlete gets such support, or lack of it, from a given group of spectators.

marc45
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
and they screwed him today

el sergento
05-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Maybe they don't like the butt picking? Or the gaudy outfit? Or maybe they prefer the underdog. Or maybe they think lefties are the spawn of satan?

I don't know...........I give up, what am I, a French spectator?

Chadwixx
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Ever wonder why they call him ******?

They guy just isnt fun to watch, by the time he starts the point you have dozed off.

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 11:23 AM
The French crowds loved Agassi too. Its tough to say in many cases why an athlete gets such support, or lack of it, from a given group of spectators.

charisma.. some have and some dont...

cknobman
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
and they screwed him today

say what?:confused:

vbranis
05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
The French like players with flair (i.e. Gasquet, Monfils, Kuerten, etc.). Federer has many creative and "showy" shots. I guess Nadal just seems too workmanlike and predictable for them.

Nadalfan89
05-27-2010, 11:28 AM
The french haven't won a war by themselves in 700 years, so who cares?

Carsomyr
05-27-2010, 11:32 AM

An extremely relevant point in this discussion.

Nadalfan89
05-27-2010, 11:33 AM

This "discussion" doesn't deserve a relevant response. Federer speaks french. Can it be any more obvious as to why the FRENCH like him?

West Coast Ace
05-27-2010, 11:35 AM
The French like players with flair (i.e. Gasquet, Monfils, Kuerten, etc.). Federer has many creative and "showy" shots. I guess Nadal just seems too workmanlike and predictable for them.Bingo! Fed plays 'the Beautiful Game' - Rafa is the grind 'em up and spit 'em out guy.

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 11:37 AM
This "discussion" doesn't deserve a relevant response. Federer speaks french. Can it be any more obvious as to why the FRENCH like him?

makes sense.. Kuerten had a Phd in French Literature and was a teacher at Sorbonne University!...

oh..

wait...

never mind... please proceed being a Nadalete!

Speranza
05-27-2010, 11:39 AM

Holmes: Actually, Carsomyr took the words right off my keyboard. Most amusing.

Perhaps the answer is in your signature Nadalfan89? Perhaps Sir Nadal has not managed to convince the French that he does not exist? N'est ce pas? ;)

Carsomyr
05-27-2010, 11:43 AM
makes sense.. Kuerten had a Phd in French Literature and was a teacher at Sorbonne University!...

oh..

wait...

never mind... please proceed being a Nadalete!

Rosewall was an adjunct professor at Toulouse and taught classes on Malraux and Proust.

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 11:48 AM
also... Rod Laver wrote two Feneon Prize winning novels....

CMM
05-27-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=397611849521

I guess his French fans don't have money to buy tickets.

charisma.. some have and some dont...
Right. :rolleyes:

Cassius Clay
05-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Ever wonder why they call him ******?

They guy just isnt fun to watch, by the time he starts the point you have dozed off.

French people don't like all that macho thing from Nadal and the Spaniards, they prefer Llorer Perderer's sissy manners

Carsomyr
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Vilas owns three wineries in Bordeaux and received the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres for his autobiography.

valiant
05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Its preferencee you like some and then you dont like some. It doesnt mean the other thing is bad.

dummydam
05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
yeah, i think want to see federer winning more than they want Nadal to win....thats strange.....Nadal vs Federer (http://www.totalsportsmadness.com/2010/05/26/roland-garros-2010-highlights-video-replay-matches-french-open/)has always been great matches so lets just hope we will have another...

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Vilas owns three wineries in Bordeaux and received the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres for his autobiography.

Stefan Edberg produces Lavander in the Provence, where he lives hapilly with his Parisien wife and the kids...

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=397611849521

I guess his French fans don't have money to buy tickets.

middle aged ladies and 12 year old dont make that much money!

Right. :rolleyes:

http://www.schwa.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/boredom.jpg

mandy01
05-27-2010, 12:07 PM
^^ Why do you have so many cat-pics?Are you a Serendipitous-clone? Reveal yourself! :evil:

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
^^ Why do you have so many cat-pics?Are you a Serendipitous-clone? Reveal yourself! :evil:

roflcat.com

funnycatpix.com

and then there is this endless torrent of ideas that Nadal Fans (and some fed ones too) provide!

Carsomyr
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Too bad legends like Vilas, Laver, Rosewall, and Guga who are steeped in French culture weren't around when Hitler's tanks started rolling into France; the Foreign Legion could have used their help at the Maginot Line!

mandy01
05-27-2010, 12:14 PM
roflcat.com

funnycatpix.com

and then there is this endless torrent of ideas that Nadal Fans (and some fed ones too) provide!hmmmmm....Serendipitous seems to be interested in funny cat-pics or just cat-pics in general too.

..just saying :evil:

CMM
05-27-2010, 12:14 PM
middle aged ladies and 12 year old dont make that much money!

I think it's nice that the kids like him.
Many people (like you) are full of anger and hate. Kids have genuine feelings.

zagor
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
URL="http://www.totalsportsmadness.com/2010/05/26/roland-garros-2010-highlights-video-replay-matches-french-open/"]Nadal vs Federer [/URL]has always been great matches so lets just hope we will have another...

Yes,their FO matches were breathtaking,seeing Fed convert 1/17 BPs and win 5 games like he did in 2008 FO final is loads of fun.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I think it is a culture thing and the fact that he kept beating Fed there.

The french can't relate to his game(they prefer form over consistency) and he consistently beats the guy they can relate to the most. I don't think it is necessarily him tugging at his short or things like that. And if it is,then the french crowd has some easily grossed out people,since other people around the world don't seem to mind that much(including the elitists from wimbledon).

Also,and this is just me speculating,maybe Rafa is too much of a nice guy for their liking.

mandy01
05-27-2010, 12:19 PM

The french can't relate to his game(they prefer form over consistency) and he consistently beats the guy they can relate to the most. I don't think it is necessarily him tugging at his short or things like that. And if it is,then the french crowd has some easily grossed out people,since other people around the world don't seem to mind that much(including the elitists from wimbledon).

Also,and this is just me speculating,maybe Rafa is too much of a nice guy for their liking.I'm not sure how much of the Wimbledon crowd is elitist anymore.:)

zagor
05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
maybe Rafa is too much of a nice guy for their liking.

No offense but that theory really doesn't hold water because they loved Guga who was pretty much one of the nicest players ever and also Nadal isn't that nice of a guy on court(off court he does seem like a good guy).

Carsomyr
05-27-2010, 12:23 PM

Also,and this is just me speculating,maybe Rafa is too much of a nice guy for their liking.

Maybe off-court, but you can't pretend like his on-court histrionics haven't rubbed a considerable number of people the wrong way.

mandy01
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Also,and this is just me speculating,maybe Rafa is too much of a nice guy for their liking. uhm....this is...I don't know..how did you come about to speculate this?
(Unless of course *YOU* think that the guys who get or have gotten crowd-support in the past aren't/weren't as nice as Rafa which is a purely subjective opinion of course.)

namelessone
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
No offense but that theory really doesn't hold water because they loved Guga who was pretty much one of the nicest players ever and also Nadal isn't that nice of a guy on court(off court he does seem like a good guy).

Maybe I am phrasing it wrong. Maybe he is just too safe for their liking. All this RG the interviewers have been trying to get something from him that they can use(like all journalists) but he has been his respectful self. His game is also one of high percentages and maybe it is boring for some people(though this is weird for me since the best clay strategy is to play high percentage tennis). His tennis is also not classic tennis which the frenchies like.

Oh,with all his rituals and game,I bet Rafa would be liked here if he were French.

zagor
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Maybe I am phrasing it wrong. Maybe he is just too safe for their liking. All this RG the interviewers have been trying to get something from him that they can use(like all journalists) but he has been his respectful self. His game is also one of high percentages and maybe it is boring for some people(though this is weird for me since the best clay strategy is to play high percentage tennis). His tennis is also not classic tennis which the frenchies like.

Oh,with all his rituals and game,I bet Rafa would be liked here if he were French.

Yeah,Nadal seem careful what he says in interviews most of the time so you might be right that he didn't take the bait and gave them something they can use as a sensatioanlistic headline.I don't think Nadal is fake or something,I think he's just a low key guy off court and they are digging for something that just isn't there.On court he almost seems like a different person.

Although I still think it's mostly that they just don't get/enjoy his game which is kind of a shame.If I were on their place I'd just enjoy watching one of the best claycourters ever live,if he ever participates in Serbia Open(fat chance I know lol)you bet I'll wait in line to get the ticket to watch him play.

jackson vile
05-27-2010, 12:37 PM

http://www.gototennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/rafael_nadal_french_open_loss.jpg

There is no denying the fact that they have much 'love' for Federer, after all he speaks their language also. One is left to wonder that the Frenchies' love of Federer that has turned them against Nadal?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2010/5/24/1274705548623/Roger-Federer-French-Open-006.jpg

It's not true, the French love Rafa. But they feel sorry for Federer and want to see things be less one sided.

nikdom
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Great way to generalize an entire nation based on spectators that show up at a Tennis match. I wonder how the US seems to the world based on the USO coverage? Ugly, drunk people who don't know when to applaud and when not to during a tennis match. Noisy and boisterous folks always stuffing their faces with something. I bet you can characterize the whole nation based on that.

cucio
05-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Your knowledge of military history is impressive, to say the least. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Speranza
05-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Great way to generalize an entire nation based on spectators that show up at a Tennis match. I wonder how the US seems to the world based on the USO coverage? Ugly, drunk people who don't know when to applaud and when not to during a tennis match. Noisy and boisterous folks always stuffing their faces with something. I bet you can characterize the whole nation based on that.

Holmes: And here we have the winning post, by far.

jackson vile
05-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Well Nik, that actually sound about right of "Americans". Yes, stereotyping is generally acurate. There are very few things in the world that are absolutes.

dropshot winner
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

I agree, although I don't think the french have a problem with Nadal being a nice guy.

coloskier
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Surprisingly, this comment may be as true as anything else said. The French take their language very seriously. If you are in France and you at least make an attempt to speak French, they are the friendliest people in the world. If you try to force them to speak english, you are the ugly American.

nikdom
05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Well Nik, that actually sound about right of "Americans". Yes, stereotyping is generally acurate. There are very few things in the world that are absolutes.

I'm not an American, but I live in America. And let me tell you something about Americans. They are a proud and straight shooting bunch. They don't put on airs, and they treat people with respect for who they are. Large-hearted, generous in spirit, welcoming and courageous folks. I've lived here over a decade and despite some ignorant people that you're bound to find any place on the planet, I've never felt like I was being treated unequally (as a foreigner). I've never seen a people that give so much - to their community, to others in need, to their work and to their families.

For all its high-fashion sense and sophistication, Europe does not treat people from other cultures the same way American's do. Europe's elite disdain people from Asia and Africa just the way the commoners do (and oh yes, class is important in Europe - meaning a person's heritage rather than their character).

I'll take loud, messy, big and American any day. Thank you.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 01:30 PM
For all its high-fashion sense and sophistication, Europe does not treat people from other cultures the same way American's do. Europe's elite disdain people from Asia and Africa just the way the commoners do (and oh yes, class is important in Europe - meaning a person's heritage rather than their character).

Maybe you are not American but man is this some cliched american thinking.

Since when the f**k are europeans high fashion sense and sophistication? Do you know how many countries there are in Europe? How many of them are actually very poor? Most people in Europe are very down to earth,but because the america media rules all,somehow the average joe in America gets the impression that his european counterpart is somehow more sophisticated. Worse of all,some people from Europe actually buy this BS as well. Sure,european countries,being older,have a older and some would say more refined culture but when you get down to it,the everyman on both sides of the ocean cares about the same things.

Now let me do a recap of your generalizations(my brother-in-law has lived in America for 10 years,mostly in the south, so I think I know a little bit what I am talking about):

1) americans are straight shooters. So I guess most europeans aren't huh? Please go to the eastern part of europe,you won't meet many diplomats there if you know what I mean:)

2)large hearted,generous in spirit and courageous. So I take it european aren't large hearted,generous and probably are cowards. This is one of the most ignorant things I have read on this board.

3)Europe treats foreigners badly? Do you realize how many black and muslims have come into europe in the last decades? You see more afro-americans in France walking about than whites,Germany has a large Turkish community and in general there are a lot of immigrants,mostly in developed countries,usually doing low key jobs,kinda like the mexicans in U.S. You have certain countries in northern Europe that have more muslims that christians(countries that have a cross on the flag LOL). I can't imagine the kind of reactions some in the U.S.(see bible belt) would have if there were more muslims than christians in some states(since muslims are apparently terrorists in the american media). In fact tensions arrise because there are way too many immigrants and differences in culture give rise to conflict in parts of europe. Unlike American culture,which started from zero(wiped out indians,brought europeans to the new world and then black and asians and built a new country), european culture cannot be taken as a whole(since there are lots of countries and cultures not one like in the U.S.) since there are very tolerant parts of europe and extremely xenophobic ones,sometimes even within the same country(with some regions being very xenophobic and others being more tolerant). Immigrants coming into the U.S. at first did not come into a formed culture unlike in Europe. And even so,U.S. doesn't exactly have a great track record in their treatment of indians(guess they really were straight shootin' since they killed off the natives),asians and blacks. I mean former U.S. presidents kept slaves,asian and blacks weren't exactly high up on the ladder and there still are a lot of racists,mostly in the south probably.

valiant
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I dont know why but I think you should edit your post a little bit Name. No offense. Just to make it better to read. Mostly you do that very well.

valiant
05-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I think generalising any nation or continent for that matter is wrong.Not everyone is same.

nikdom
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Europe treats foreigners badly? Do you realize how many black and muslims have come into europe in the last decades? You see more afro-americans in France walking about than whites,Germany has a large Turkish community and in general there are a lot of immigrants,mostly in developed countries,usually doing low key jobs,kinda like the mexicans in U.S. In fact tensions arrise because there are way too many immigrants and differences in culture give rise to conflict. Unlike American culture,who started from zero(wiped out indians,brought europeans to the new world and then black and asians and built a new country), european culture cannot be taken as a whole(since there are lots of countries and cultures not one like in the U.S.) since there are very tolerant parts of europe and extremely xenophobic ones. Immigrants coming into the U.S. at first did not come into a formed culture unlike in Europe. And even so,U.S. doesn't exactly have a great track record in their treatment of indians,asians and blacks.

Many European countries including GB, France, Spain, Belgium colonized other nations. After decades (and even centuries in cases like India) of ruling these places, looting natural resources, turning people on each other and destroying their pride and culture, now Europe is all high and mighty because it allows a few foreigners in??

Look at how these people are living in Europe. Unrecognized as Europeans, treated like second class citizens and not allowed to assimilate, they live in ghettoized communities separate from the natives. What do you think the riots in France were about a few years ago?

P_Agony
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Nadal has delivered a lot of things in the FOs, but excitement isn't one of them. His matches are usually very one-sided.

P_Agony
05-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Here's a theory, maybe they like him but they are just tired of watching him win year after year. I know I would cheer for a fresh winner most of the times (like I cheered for Davy last year against Fed despite Fed being my favorite player).

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Many European countries including GB, France, Spain, Belgium colonized other nations. After decades (and even centuries in cases like India) of ruling these places, looting natural resources, turning people on each other and destroying their pride and culture, now Europe is all high and mighty because it allows a few foreigners in??

Look at how these people are living in Europe. Unrecognized as Europeans, treated like second class citizens and not allowed to assimilate, they live in ghettoized communities separate from the natives. What do you think the riots in France were about a few years ago?

So I take it americans were better back then,right? Yeah the americans didn't colonize anything,they were colonists,european colonists. They were there killing the natives,real friendly. Even the supposed american ideals that many believe,with the founding of the U.S. are myth,they were mostly economic reasosn,not because of ideals and all that crap. Most american colonies didn't even like one another. The first americans came and looted the native americans resources(and the war for independence started because they actually wanted more control on their trade and commerce,they even wanted to print their own) and unlike the europeans,didn't even leave many alive for them to immigrate later on :)
They signed the declaration of independece to be "free" from the british while keeping slaves. LOL.

Your post reminds me of how my brother-in-law thinked before he came to visit us in Romania,brainwashed by the american media,which only chooses certain news to broadcast. He was so suprised about the realities of european life and how differently it was presented in America,it was more shocking for me since I expected him to know more,being American and working in IT(so he is not a stupid guy).

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about when you say "few foreigners". The only real rich part of Europe is western and northern europe,in the south and east they are a bit poorer and in the east it's pretty bad. Many,many immigrants(each with their own culture) have started to coming to western europe and while they adapt just fine,they keep their own culture and when in massive numbers the affect the local culture as well and how it is perceived in the world. This does not sit well with some countries,especially old countries who have their own culture and are more traditionalist. If you said frenchman 50 years ago,you would have imagined that cliche with a elitist attitude and cigarette in his mouth. After visiting france a couple of years ago, I can say that frenchman today means immigrants from northern africa. Oh,and the french are so xenophobic that most of their soccer team are players of black or mixed origin.

This culture clash is something that America has not experienced because America has no culture,not in the traditional sense,it is a very young country and has very few things it can call its own,most cultural things are from immigrants that came from all over the world.

Oh,and one more thing. How are they not recognized as europeans? If they have citizenship in that country and that country is in UE,they are UE citizens. Yeah,look what happened in France. Has it happened in another UE country? Nope. The immigrants don't have ghettos. Most are very poor when they arrive so they leave in slums or poor areas(since they can't afford any better when they come) and they naturally live together cause they want to see some familiar faces and a familiar tongue in their new country. I hope you know the immigrants coming to america did the same thing,you had your italian,jewish,irish and so on hoods in major cities and there still are areas in which a certain culture is more dominant. No one is stopping the immigrants in France to get better jobs or move out of those ghettos as you call'em but most of them don't have a lot going for them,they are in the position of mexicans in U.S. They usually do the cheap labour and hope that their kids will do better in their new country.

You put me in the unenviable position of defending the UE,which is a crap concept, a sort of rip-off of the american model with many states but the dumbasses who did this forgot two things:

1)america is one nation. Europe has many many nations,many of them having historic rivalries.

2)the belief that there can be unity because of "european culture". Bulls**t. Their is no such thing as european culture. There are many many cultures,sometimes more than one in a particular country(like in particular regions of a country). There are many many languages and there is no official language of the UE for example whereas in America,no matter who you are,you must know English. The UE can't even get their countries to agree on the european constitution,some want some things,others want other things and it is normal,because each is thinking what is best for their own culture,not for "european culture". The UE will be over soon enough IMO.

nikdom
05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
^^ such a load of drivel I can't even respond to it if I wanted to. Perhaps you should post a few more paragraphs to make things even more clear.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
^^ such a load of drivel I can't even respond to it if I wanted to. Perhaps you should post a few more paragraphs to make things even more clear.

Sure,what do you want me to clarify?

malakas
05-27-2010, 02:23 PM
we;re all the same ***** european,american,indian..why you keep fighting :roll:
even nadalettes are humans.

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:26 PM
we;re all the same ***** european,american,indian..why you keep fighting :roll:
even nadalettes are humans.

Exatly my point. You can find many good and bad things about all nations. I just didn't agree with some of nikdom's points about americans and his generalizations about europe(I LOL everytime I hear europe,as if we are one nation) and immigrants,not taking context into account.

I'm not sure nadalettes are humans.

malakas
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Exatly my point. You can find many good and bad things about all nations. I just didn't agree with some of nikdom's points about americans and his generalizations about europe(I LOL everytime I hear europe,as if we are one nation) and immigrants,not taking context into account.

I'm not sure nadalettes are humans.

well don't pay any attention to stupid generalisations.Look at this forum,it's so full of francophobia is ridiculous.French are stupid,xenophobic,cowards etc etc :roll: And most of the posters have never met any french in their lives.

sureshs
05-27-2010, 02:35 PM
The French are superior.

Cyan
05-27-2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.ihatefrenchpeople.com/

namelessone
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
well don't pay any attention to stupid generalisations.Look at this forum,it's so full of francophobia is ridiculous.French are stupid,xenophobic,cowards etc etc :roll: And most of the posters have never met any french in their lives.

The french I have met were cool people though most of them had bad things to say about parisians,which only reinforces my thoughts about the RG crowd.:)

Cyan
05-27-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.ihatefrenchpeople.com/2009/09/04/the-surgeon-story/

Oy, love this gem:

But the fifth surgeon, Dr. Morris Fishbein, shuts them all up when
he observes: “The French are the easiest to operate on. There’s no
guts, no heart, no balls and no spine. Plus the head and *** are
interchangeable.”

8-)

Cyan
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Famous quotes

Famous quotes about the French:
"I just love the French. They taste like chicken!" ---- Hannibal Lecter

"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." ---Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --- General George S. Patton

Raise your right hand if you like the French ... raise both hands if you are French.

"Do you know it only took Germany three days to conquer France in WWII? And that's because it was raining." -- John Xereas, Manager, DC Improv.

:lol:

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I think it's nice that the kids like him.
Many people (like you) are full of anger and hate. Kids have genuine feelings.

yes. lets define my personality based on the fact that i dont like one particular tennis player....

malakas
05-27-2010, 02:56 PM
The french I have met were cool people though most of them had bad things to say about parisians,which only reinforces my thoughts about the RG crowd.:)

it's like what americans say about new yorkers..you should see me bashing athenians..:mrgreen: It seems people who live in capitals are all a little soft in the head- and yes that's another generalisation lol

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
The UE will be over soon enough IMO.

you need jesus...

namelessone
05-27-2010, 03:04 PM
you need jesus...

I am a man of all faiths:)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/S8mwkzMFWpI/AAAAAAAANhk/-ZPyJYMaOjs/s640/southpark_muhammad_cartoon.gif

Gorecki
05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I am a man of all faiths:)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QfVWU-2pVL4/S8mwkzMFWpI/AAAAAAAANhk/-ZPyJYMaOjs/s640/southpark_muhammad_cartoon.gif

http://api.ning.com/files/a3haC7tnfqWEWwrPgDwQMqVJVKWMjazFxpQ3JBmC2-4JO-z9N4QWk2N-eUa2WTQ0k-u8*osgXP9*6XtHt0iK3ibg02VdDjUW/AtheistCat.jpg

Dedans Penthouse
05-27-2010, 03:11 PM

dude, dial it down...will ya?

I'm an (uggh!) an American and I've done "France" every year

...and I've enjoyed 'France' EVERY YEAR.....probably because,,,,,,I (every year) hooked up with "France" with my child bride every April/May....and...the 'cool factor' that I experienced with her there....you guessed it: the "HUMAN FACTOR"

(Room 115)

Did the French not author the phrase: viva le differnce?

I'm very ..... VERY .... so ...very (I can't spelll) .....viva le difference.

what's your point? ....... Sir....Madam.....
--------
I can't spell for shiate.

Eeate me.

God bless France. And Nadal......was/shouldn't Borg not be subjected to the "same-old-boring-style" subject to the SAME criteria?

veroniquem
05-27-2010, 03:20 PM
The French in general love Federer because they see him as "almost French" (Swiss who speaks French).
However it is completely untrue that they dislike Nadal. Rafa gets a lot of media attention and off court TV time (more extensive coverage in sportspapers like l'equipe) and he also gets more mobbed than anyone else in the stadium. When it comes to matches though, a lot of the French audience identifies with Fed. As I said, they see him as more French. (Same thing with Justine even though Justine is actually Belgian).

namelessone
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
The French in general love Federer because they see him as "almost French" (Swiss who speaks French).
However it is completely untrue that they dislike Nadal. Rafa gets a lot of media attention and off court TV time (more extensive coverage in sportspapers like l'equipe) and he also gets more mobbed than anyone else in the stadium. When it comes to matches though, a lot of the French audience identifies with Fed. As I said, they see him as more French. (Same thing with Justine even though Justine is actually Belgian).

So I guess they like Nadal,they just don't like him on court.

LOL.

veroniquem
05-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Rafa got plenty of support last year before the Sod match. Audiences change from one day to the next. For instance the audience yesterday for the Monfils match was extremely rowdy (it was kids' day, lots of teenagers), today it was much more quiet.

Dedans Penthouse
05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
^^^^^^^^
The Costes, Rm. 115

my bad....didn't ref. the '115' ... sorry

meet ya on "the deck" :-0

SOURYA (great 'French' band.....check 'em out --- pleeeze --- Anonomy Domine...Paris' version of Brian Wilson -- UK Guardian "Sourya" -- ...check 'em out)

Dedans Penthouse
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Roger Federer versus Raphel Nadal for the French Open Championship:

I'd be more than happy to see a '2010' final of Fed-Nadal..

versus:

(Fed/Rafa vs __________ or ____________ or _____________ or ____________ or ___________ or ....)

Who cares about ethnicity? ... and what's with that FO particular slant?

What if "Fed v. Nadal' faced off in the finals against themselves??!

Pretty good stuff in my book. Me?...I'm an American, I don't care who/where they're from...

Juges8932
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
1) Making quite bold "facts" about the French population, I would hope that you would have: gone to France several times over a span of a long time period. Not just, let me go to France for a week and oh, that's how all French people are.

2) Much like here, Parisians (city people) are not indicative of the population as a whole. There are people who reside in the country-side, sea-side, etc, each being raised in a different environment resulting in different behaviors.

3) One thing about Americans going to another country and the hypocrisy of it all. If you go to another country, it should be expected that you make an attempt to learn and appreciate their culture. This includes the foreign language. Thus, if you go to France, it is reasonable for the French to expect the tourist to at least show interest in the language and make an attempt to speak French to them. Going in there and just talking English the entire time to them is not going to make them more willing to be nice and helpful. This only reinforces the stereotypes that we (Americans) have been dubbed with. On the reverse, when Hispanic people come into America, only speaking Spanish, Americans want to raise Hell about it, or similarly when any foreigner comes to the States (Just Hispanics are the most prevalent). Which is fine to expect, as long as you make attempts when you are going to a foreign country.

4) The stereotypes towards the French are pretty ignorant. Unshaven, smelly, etc. Look at the production of perfume, beauty products, and the other hygienic products and where they come from. Stereotypes towards Americans aren't necessarily fair either. The term, 'American', is really broad, as it extends to people from all backgrounds, races, etc. In America itself, people from different regions don't like each other. Take people from the north-east and compare them to someone from Alabama or California. It's a different environment (climate, jobs, hobbies, way of life, etc) and results in completely different people.

5) I personally have been to France ~15 times in my 21 years, the last time being a few years ago, and the next time most-likely being next summer. So I have been 15 times in 18 years. This has given me insight from a first-hand experience in interacting with the French over quite a bit of time. To be fair, however, I can only remember clearly from when I was 5, so the times before that should be excluded. So 12 times in 13 years. Also, when I went to France, it was for never less than a month. I have been all over France: Normandy, Paris, Bretaigne, Chalons, etc, and have experienced the different cultures of France. So my opinions are based off what I have SEEN, not what other people said they should be. And no, I'm not saying you should adopt my opinons, just take it for what it's worth. If you experienced something different, that's fine. I just want to bring a different perspective and maybe bring elements to light that may not have been thought about by some people.

6) Assumptions are for the ignorant and uninformed. Which, being ignorant is fine (such as not having gone to France and not knowing what their culture/people are like), but when you speak as though you have experienced it, you get stupidity.

TheTruth
05-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I think they're susceptible to The Mac's commentating. I mean, how many times have they "hinted" that he's a cheater, he takes too much time, yada, yada, yada. JMac and co. want what they want and they'll do whatever they can to get it. It's amazing people can't see through the blatantly biased commentating. The French, Wimbledon, etc. has never had anything against a certain player. Why now?

It's so simple to see, there's no need for a ? They used to do the same thing with Sampras and Agassi.

TheTruth
05-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Maybe you are not American but man is this some cliched american thinking.

Since when the f**k are europeans high fashion sense and sophistication? Do you know how many countries there are in Europe? How many of them are actually very poor? Most people in Europe are very down to earth,but because the america media rules all,somehow the average joe in America gets the impression that his european counterpart is somehow more sophisticated. Worse of all,some people from Europe actually buy this BS as well. Sure,european countries,being older,have a older and some would say more refined culture but when you get down to it,the everyman on both sides of the ocean cares about the same things.

Now let me do a recap of your generalizations(my brother-in-law has lived in America for 10 years,mostly in the south, so I think I know a little bit what I am talking about):

1) americans are straight shooters. So I guess most europeans aren't huh? Please go to the eastern part of europe,you won't meet many diplomats there if you know what I mean:)

2)large hearted,generous in spirit and courageous. So I take it european aren't large hearted,generous and probably are cowards. This is one of the most ignorant things I have read on this board.

3)Europe treats foreigners badly? Do you realize how many black and muslims have come into europe in the last decades? You see more afro-americans in France walking about than whites,Germany has a large Turkish community and in general there are a lot of immigrants,mostly in developed countries,usually doing low key jobs,kinda like the mexicans in U.S. You have certain countries in northern Europe that have more muslims that christians(countries that have a cross on the flag LOL). I can't imagine the kind of reactions some in the U.S.(see bible belt) would have if there were more muslims than christians in some states(since muslims are apparently terrorists in the american media). In fact tensions arrise because there are way too many immigrants and differences in culture give rise to conflict in parts of europe. Unlike American culture,which started from zero(wiped out indians,brought europeans to the new world and then black and asians and built a new country), european culture cannot be taken as a whole(since there are lots of countries and cultures not one like in the U.S.) since there are very tolerant parts of europe and extremely xenophobic ones,sometimes even within the same country(with some regions being very xenophobic and others being more tolerant). Immigrants coming into the U.S. at first did not come into a formed culture unlike in Europe. And even so,U.S. doesn't exactly have a great track record in their treatment of indians(guess they really were straight shootin' since they killed off the natives),asians and blacks. I mean former U.S. presidents kept slaves,asian and blacks weren't exactly high up on the ladder and there still are a lot of racists,mostly in the south probably.

There it is...

West Coast Ace
05-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not an American, but I live in America. And let me tell you something about Americans. They are a proud and straight shooting bunch. They don't put on airs, and they treat people with respect for who they are. Large-hearted, generous in spirit, welcoming and courageous folks. I've lived here over a decade and despite some ignorant people that you're bound to find any place on the planet, I've never felt like I was being treated unequally (as a foreigner). I've never seen a people that give so much - to their community, to others in need, to their work and to their families.

I'll take loud, messy, big and American any day. Thank you.Great post.

ViscaB
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
First of all Federer is a German speaking Swiss who also speaks French.

Second, none of the Spanish players have gotten support from the crowd in Paris (From Bruguera to Moya to Ferrero to Corretja). It's the same with the Spanish cyclists who dominate the Tour de France.

Here we have the root of the problem. It's always frustrating when your neighboors dominate your most important sports events year in year out. The same happened to Lance Armstrong in France. It's just jealousy.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Idk, they generally like baseliners more, I consider him to be a poor sportsman and a little lucky aside from Fed, who he matches up great against

Sentinel
05-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Wow Veronique ? Are you sober today ? :-D
A second decent post from you ! Hopefully peaceful days are in store for TW.

mandy01
05-27-2010, 10:59 PM

I'm not sure nadalettes are humans.Yes,trolls sounds more like it .

Ok,I'm just kidding.But seriously too much is being made about the French not supporting Nadal and all that.The USO crowds can be WAY more rowdy.The French are definitely NOT worse.

CMM
05-28-2010, 12:38 AM
yes. lets define my personality based on the fact that i dont like one particular tennis player....

That's ok. At least he's got the kids and the middle aged women.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5373/21842838.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/371/kidx.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8894/kidso.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4281/vcgi8cba96e4f164ca50be4.jpg

vive le beau jeu !
05-28-2010, 01:20 AM
That's ok. At least he's got the kids and the middle aged women.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4281/vcgi8cba96e4f164ca50be4.jpg
so now, brainwashing on poor young kids ? the rafito mafia should be ashamed of this kinda propaganda.

CMM
05-28-2010, 01:38 AM
the rafito mafia should be ashamed of this kinda propaganda.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6708/t2yqs8cba96e4f164ca50be.jpg
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6292/nrear8cba96e4f164ca50be.jpg

vive le beau jeu !
05-28-2010, 01:45 AM
;)
don't you see the pain in the eyes of those poor innocent dogs ? :?
you took their canine dignity ! (well, ok... even if the top one if obviously a repressed 'muztard' dog)

really, nothing can stop you to foster el martir's cult of personality...

dropshot winner
05-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Did anyone ask those dogs if they prefered Federer? :D

Sentinel
05-28-2010, 02:51 AM
Why am i not surprised that the Scottish dogs don't particularly like their own tennis star.

namelessone
05-28-2010, 03:14 AM

Clearly the didn't.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42462000/jpg/_42462260_jodie_elizabeth_john.jpg

Gorecki
05-28-2010, 04:09 AM
even the dogs agree that this whole generation sucks :)

Leonidas
05-28-2010, 04:17 AM
That's debatable,he certainly provides them with great display of claycourt tennis each year but he usually crushes competition completely and for people who don't like Nadal's playing style that's hardly exciting.

People like close,dramatic matches and Nadal has never even been pushed to 5 at FO.

French people, in general, hate spanish sportsmen. Spanish sportsmen win Tour de France, French Open ... while french sportsmen suck. Plus, frenchies dislike pretty much every nation in europe. They don´t get on well with anybody. They love federer because he´s an awesome player, no doubt, but he speaks french and the frenchies are way too patriotic.

ViscaB
05-28-2010, 04:19 AM
You just have to go through the messages posted on the l'Equipe site to find out that Nadal is hated for being Spanish. Which is fine since the messages about the French on Spanish sports sites (Marca.com or As.com) show the same signs of a difficult relationship between the two countries. Add in the superiority of Spanish sportsmen and the reason for all the hate coming from the French is even more clear.

CMM
05-28-2010, 04:23 AM
even the dogs agree that this whole generation sucks :)

The cats have a different opinion.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3106/catcg.jpg

Gorecki
05-28-2010, 04:25 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gTJMEP-c2fo/SNa4uzKwXJI/AAAAAAAAFtw/q5N3yZsFPhw/s400/stupid+cat.jpg

vive le beau jeu !
05-28-2010, 05:33 AM
The cats have a different opinion.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3106/catcg.jpg
no.
cats can't love nadal, that's scientifically impossible.

the above cat is clearly waiting for an opportunity to jump through the screen and tear this ugly rodent to pieces.

CMM
05-28-2010, 06:12 AM
the above cat is clearly waiting for an opportunity to jump through the screen and tear this ugly rodent to pieces.

You're probably talking about Ferrer.

malakas
05-28-2010, 06:13 AM
poor animals..I'm ashamed for all of you!!!:mad:

mandy01
05-28-2010, 06:14 AM
^^^ That's Serendipitous

drakulie
05-28-2010, 06:40 AM

I'm really surprised you guys just don't get it. The French, feeling they are superior to anyone, don't like those who they feel are grotesque. That said, they don't like people who pick their butt in public.

Fedbelly
05-28-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm really surprised you guys just don't get it. The French, feeling they are superior to anyone, don't like those who they feel are grotesque. That said, they don't like people who pick their butt in public.

As you are no doubt aware, the french are referred to as surrender monkeys in many quarters and this probably brings out their affinity for fed having witnessed his displays against nadal at RG.

Augustus
05-28-2010, 07:39 AM
The French like people that speak French.

Allons enfants de la patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé! :)

malakas
05-28-2010, 07:45 AM
As you are no doubt aware, the french are referred to as surrender monkeys in many quarters and this probably brings out their affinity for fed having witnessed his displays against nadal at RG.

as we are no doubt aware,any nation that has you as a member are referred as ******** uragutangs.

Mustard
05-28-2010, 07:46 AM

Do you even know your history? 200 years ago at this point, the Napoleon led Grand Armee was still dominant on the European mainland and had over 600,000 soldiers.

Legend of Borg
05-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Do you even know your history? 200 years ago at this point, the Napoleon led Grand Armee was still dominant on the European mainland and had over 600,000 soldiers.

Napoleon III had some fine moments against the Austrians as well, helping the Italian Risorgimento.

Augustus
05-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Napoleon III had some fine moments against the Austrians as well, helping the Italian Risorgimento.

Roi Zizou also won the World War in 1998! :)

ksbh
05-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Now the *******s and Nadal fans are arguing over what is better ... America or Europe?! ROFL, keep it going!

For me, any country but the garbage pile that is France! Well, throw in the french part of Canada as well! LOL!

malakas
05-28-2010, 07:54 AM
LOL!

:roll:

Do you understand that your idiotic jokes are nationalistic,racistic and offensive?

ksbh
05-28-2010, 07:54 AM
ROFL X 1800! Brilliant, Fedbelly, absolutely!

Post of the decade!

Cyan
05-28-2010, 07:56 AM
They don't like Spaniards. End of story.

ksbh
05-28-2010, 07:56 AM
What a cart load of bollox! Not worth trying to explain.

LOL!

:roll:

Do you understand that your idiotic jokes are nationalistic,racistic and offensive?

Augustus
05-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Now the *******s and Nadal fans are arguing over what is better ... America or Europe?! ROFL, keep it going!

For me, any country but the garbage pile that is France! Well, throw in the french part of Canada as well! LOL!

Are you kidding? :lol:

Paris is the most beautiful city on earth (ok, second to Vienna) and the language is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgcKYTStMc

malakas
05-28-2010, 07:58 AM

Paris is the most beautiful city on earth (ok, second to Vienna) and the language is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKgcKYTStMc

the most beautiful of Europe is Barcelona my friend.

Yeah ksbh sure don't even try to explain your pathetic excuse of humour.

pame
05-28-2010, 07:58 AM

"If one were to choose among the greatest benefactors of humanity, Louis Pasteur, French, would certainly rank at the top. He solved the mysteries of rabies, anthrax, chicken cholera, and silkworm diseases, and contributed to the development of the first vaccines. He debunked the widely accepted myth of spontaneous generation, thereby setting the stage for modern biology and biochemistry. He described the scientific basis for fermentation, wine-making, and the brewing of beer. Pasteur's work gave birth to many branches of science, and he was singlehandedly responsible for some of the most important theoretical concepts and practical applications of modern science."

I assume, kbsh, you will be turning down out of hand any of the beneficiary treatments coming out of this Frenchman's work, should the time ever come when you need them :)

Edit: Oh and of course, it's a given that you have never used pasteurized milk, nor will you ever do so

ksbh
05-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Augustus ... yes, I've heard of Paris and it's beauty. I might even like to visit one day ... if they agree to evacuate the city of all it's residents for a day! J/k! :)

Augustus
05-28-2010, 08:01 AM
the most beautiful of Europe is Barcelona my friend.
Yeah ksbh sure don't even try to explain your pathetic excuse of humour.

Nice for sure, but Rome (urbs aeterna), Paris and Vienna are better! :)

ksbh
05-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey Pame ... how r you, ol' bean?! Been a while since we traded 'blows', LOL!

On a serious note though ... certainly every country, regardless of it's heritage and culture, has produced people that have contributed greatly to mankind, the effects of which we will see for centuries. I respect such people, even if they're French :)

But no single contribution is greater than another. They're all equally important. For example, is the contribution of Sri Ravishankar (Art of Living) any less important than Louis Pasteur's? What about Gandhi, or Aryabhata? They contribute(d) in vastly different ways but they're all just as important as the other.

"If one were to choose among the greatest benefactors of humanity, Louis Pasteur, French, would certainly rank at the top. He solved the mysteries of rabies, anthrax, chicken cholera, and silkworm diseases, and contributed to the development of the first vaccines. He debunked the widely accepted myth of spontaneous generation, thereby setting the stage for modern biology and biochemistry. He described the scientific basis for fermentation, wine-making, and the brewing of beer. Pasteur's work gave birth to many branches of science, and he was singlehandedly responsible for some of the most important theoretical concepts and practical applications of modern science."

I assume, kbsh, you will be turning down out of hand any of the beneficiary treatments coming out of this Frenchman's work, should the time ever come when you need them :)

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Nice for sure, but Rome (urbs aeterna), Paris and Vienna are better! :)

for some reason I REALY didn't like Roma.So much pollution,hot sun bleh
I'm going to Vienna next Octomber-November should be great!

But Barca has a cosmopolitan atmosphere,a flair a joy in the air that I don't think you will find in any other city.

Augustus
05-28-2010, 08:08 AM

But Barca has a cosmopolitan atmosphere,a flair a joy in the air that I don't think you will find in any other city.

Great, it really is a wonderful city! :)

I'm visiting Greece this summer (research/vacation): Athens, Nafplio, Olympia, Mycenae, Delphi, Epidauros, Aegina etc.

ksbh
05-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Down on my knees, dear Pame ... how could I live without it! Everyday! :)

Edit: Oh and of course, it's a given that you have never used pasteurized milk, nor will you ever do so

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Great, it really is a wonderful city! :)

I'm visiting Greece this summer (research/vacation): Athens, Nafplio, Olympia, Mycenae, Delphi, Epidauros, Aegina etc.

what research exactly?? Stay as less in Athens as you can,and please tell me you didn't just book the cheapest hotel from the internet,because you're in for a very bad suprise.Instead of spending another day in 40C athens,take the boat to Hydra for one day.Much better.

Fedbelly
05-28-2010, 08:12 AM
as we are no doubt aware,any nation that has you as a member are referred as ******** uragutangs.

a little personal and not very creative.

Regards all the same.

mandy01
05-28-2010, 08:12 AM

But Barca has a cosmopolitan atmosphere,a flair a joy in the air that I don't think you will find in any other city.I like Rome for all it's history but my absolute favourite,for some reason,is Rotterdam.:) Very laid-back from what I could see :)

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:15 AM
I like Rome for all it's history but my absolute favourite,for some reason,is Rotterdam.:) Very laid-back from what I could see :)

ah yea Rotterdam.And Ultrecht too esp if you're a student.Much better than Amsterdam.

Godamnit can't we flashforward to July?:p

Augustus
05-28-2010, 08:15 AM
what research exactly?? Stay as less in Athens as you can,and please tell me you didn't just book the cheapest hotel from the internet,because you're in for a very bad suprise.Instead of spending another day in 40C athens,take the boat to Hydra for one day.Much better.

Thanks for the advice.

I believe we'll only stay in Athens for three days or so...

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Regards all the same.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/smilies/sad.gif

ksbh
05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
And yet, she just didn't see the irony in calling me a racist! Close minded people.

Regards all the same.

Augustus
05-28-2010, 08:19 AM
I like Rome for all it's history but my absolute favourite,for some reason,is Rotterdam.:) Very laid-back from what I could see :)

Rotterdam, interesting choice...

Have you climbed the Euromast?

volleynets
05-28-2010, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=CMM;4695650]That's ok. At least he's got the kids and the middle aged women.

CMM you are SO creepy. Do you save pictures of these random kids on your computers just because the pictures have the word Rafa in them? That is completely creepy.

Augustus
05-28-2010, 08:23 AM
ah yea Rotterdam.And Ultrecht too esp if you're a student.Much better than Amsterdam.

Godamnit can't we flashforward to July?:p

:twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkI26R61Doo

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:25 AM
And yet, she just didn't see the irony in calling me a racist! Close minded people.

riiigghhtt.:rolleyes: Giving a troll a taste of his own medicine is the same as garbage offensive humour against a whole nation.

Thanks for the advice.

I believe we'll only stay in Athens for three days or so...

are you in a group?heh prepare for some overpriced coffees/dishes esp in Plaka.And stay away from Omonoia square after dark.

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:27 AM
:twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkI26R61Doo

and look how it has become now.:? are you dutch?
so many dutch ppl here.

ksbh
05-28-2010, 08:30 AM
And what makes you think I wasn't doing the same? Anyways, I'll let it go else we'll be going around in circles all day.

riiigghhtt.:rolleyes: Giving a troll a taste of his own medicine is the same as garbage offensive humour against a whole nation.

Augustus
05-28-2010, 08:30 AM
and look how it has become now.:? are you dutch?
so many dutch ppl here.

I live in the Netherlands currently, but I feel like a 'cosmopolitan'.

Dutch dad, Austrian mum and additional family in Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland, England, Germany, Los Angeles, Florida and Dubai. :)

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
I live in the Netherlands currently, but I feel like a 'cosmopolitan'.

Dutch dad, Austrian mum and additional family in Spain, Italy, France, Switzerland, England, Germany, Los Angeles, Florida and Dubai. :)

wow heh that's great!:D
you can visit all the relatives and make cheap vacation :mrgreen: I'm so jealous.

mandy01
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Rotterdam, interesting choice...

Have you climbed the Euromast?
Yep.And I loved it :)

Augustus
05-28-2010, 08:35 AM
wow heh that's great!:D
you can visit all the relatives and make cheap vacation :mrgreen: I'm so jealous.

Yeah, that's very nice indeed.

Unfortunately it means I have to miss a lot of people most of the time...

malakas
05-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah, that's very nice indeed.

Unfortunately it means I have to miss a lot of people most of the time...

with today's technology and telecommunications it's easy to keep in touch.I also grew up away from grandparents/cousins/uncles etc and I know it's a little difficult esp in my country lol.

If you keep someone in your heart they're always with you.;-)

Fedbelly
05-28-2010, 09:08 AM

i notice you didnt give drak a taste of his own medicine. Plus your supposed to be a vet so you failed in your duty to animals there.

CMM
05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
CMM you are SO creepy.

And you are SO smart.. :roll:
What makes you think that I have them saved on my computer? Ever heard of fan sites?

sureshs
05-28-2010, 09:19 AM
with today's technology and telecommunications it's easy to keep in touch.I also grew up away from grandparents/cousins/uncles etc and I know it's a little difficult esp in my country lol.

If you keep someone in your heart they're always with you.;-)

Hey malaka I got an email last week from some tennis group inviting me to play with a group consisting of A, B, C, Aristotle, and D.

Is Aristotle a common name in Greece? I mean, I have heard of only that Aristotle. If I wander into a tennis place in Greece, will I find Aristotle, Archimedes, Euclid, and Appolonius playing doubles, with Socrates and Pericles playing singles in the next court?

pame
05-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Hey Pame ... how r you, ol' bean?! Been a while since we traded 'blows', LOL!

On a serious note though ... certainly every country, regardless of it's heritage and culture, has produced people that have contributed greatly to mankind, the effects of which we will see for centuries. I respect such people, even if they're French :)

But no single contribution is greater than another. They're all equally important. For example, is the contribution of Sri Ravishankar (Art of Living) any less important than Louis Pasteur's? What about Gandhi, or Aryabhata? They contribute(d) in vastly different ways but they're all just as important as the other.

ok.. as long as you were just taking the mickey, I'll retreat :)

ksbh
05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Yes I was, Sir Pame, but it appears to be a failed attempt. Only one, and a lady at that, fell hard for it! :(

I just don't have the talent of a Cesc or a Suresh! :)

ok.. as long as you were just taking the mickey, I'll retreat :)

pame
05-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes I was, Sir Pame, but it appears to be a failed attempt. Only one, and a lady at that, fell hard for it! :(

Hey I'm glad you don't.. you're still worth a few lines of argument.. lol

Dedans Penthouse
05-28-2010, 09:33 AM
1) Making quite bold "facts" about the French population, I would hope that you would have: gone to France several times over a span of a long time period. Not just, let me go to France for a week and oh, that's how all French people are.

"You call that lovin' French but it's just Frenchette,
I've been to France so let's just dance..." - David Johansson

I have been there for an extended period as well (two of my sisters lived there). And I do agree with your post. My only point is that I've found that if you attempt to meet the Froginators half way, for example, in showing respect for their culture (such as always making a point of greeting a shopkeeper or approaching someone with an attempt "in French"), they won't come off as the overall brats that they're portrayed as.

The odd "brat" here and there? Sure....but I've found that if you remain steadfast in maintaining your poise in a friendly manner--quasi kill 'em with kindness--they'll realize that it is THEY who are being the provincial hicks, i.e. self-parodies of themselves. Heck, add a twinge of bemusement to the proceedings (esp. to the fashionista 'hip' types) and they'll realize that you're not going to give them "the power" of making you feel like Billy Bob from Podunkville and that their little 'tude isn't going to get them anywhere ("polite" social intimidation). Not to sound provincial myself, but growing up in NY has 'moi' feeling he can "hang" with any hip quotient in play; France generally-speaking or Paris specifically. The only part of Paris I'd feel uncomfortable in would be Paris Hilton's Cootieville. ;-)

kraggy
05-28-2010, 09:41 AM
This is inside news but when Nadal was younger he is said to have notoriously pulled the "hit it and quit it" with many french players like Mary Pierce, Tatiana Golovin and Alize Cornet. Perhaps this is why they are mad at him.

sureshs
05-28-2010, 10:32 AM

You sir were in the top 150 as a pro. That alone puts you way above anyone on this board.

Leonidas
05-28-2010, 10:34 AM
The French like players with flair (i.e. Gasquet, Monfils, Kuerten, etc.). Federer has many creative and "showy" shots. I guess Nadal just seems too workmanlike and predictable for them.

Monfils the pusher you mean? LOL. It´s just because Nadal is spanish. Had you lived here, you´d understand mate

ksbh
05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks Suresh! Sometimes I wonder if it's worth being in here. Many youngsters these days have little regard for respect & culture, especially on the internet.

- Zeeshan

You sir were in the top 150 as a pro. That alone puts you way above anyone on this board.

ksbh
05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
LOL, thanks pal.

- Zeeshan

Hey I'm glad you don't.. you're still worth a few lines of argument.. lol

ViscaB
05-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Monfils the pusher you mean? LOL. It´s just because Nadal is spanish. Had you lived here, you´d understand mate

Good point. Playing without a tennis brain like quite a few of the French players do (Monfils, Tsonga, Gasquet) is perhaps consider playing with flair by some.

sureshs
05-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks Suresh! Sometimes I wonder if it's worth being in here. Many youngsters these days have little regard for respect & culture, especially on the internet.

- Zeeshan

This board is not for you, tennis-wise.

Question: did you have a 1 handed or 2 handed backhand? I have never seen you play and cannot find videos on the web.

ksbh
05-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Sir, I had a 1 handed backhand.

If you visit Dubai, let me know. I'd love to play a friendly game with you guys.

This board is not for you, tennis-wise.

Question: did you have a 1 handed or 2 handed backhand? I have never seen you play and cannot find videos on the web.

piece
05-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Both detailing the intricacies of his illustrious forehand, no doubt

Cup8489
05-28-2010, 08:17 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_I

what about this guy? He seemed to do alright.

ViscaB
05-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Images talk louder than words.

Part I

http://www.thevirtualmusette.com/storage/indurain.cdlibre.org.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2008/07/27/CarlosSastre3.jpg

http://cafejose.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/contador-tour-2009.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HL58wo2Jtf4/SkTdZuPRqsI/AAAAAAAACME/JCkxfuxcPvk/s400/pedrodelgado.jpg

ViscaB
05-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Part II

http://www.globalsportsbuzz.com/assets_c/2007/10/oly_g_pereiro_195-thumb-200x268.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1955000/images/_1956741_bruguera300.jpg

http://www.gemtennis.com/wp-content/gallery/french-open-mens-champions/moya1998.jpg

http://estaticos02.cache.el-mundo.net/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/05/roland_garros/img/ellosellas/ferrero.jpg

ViscaB
05-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Part III

http://www.masters-senior.com/wordpress/wp-content/costa8510.jpg

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/nadal-kuerten-federer-rg.jpg

jerriy
05-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Monfils the pusher you mean? LOL. It´s just because Nadal is spanish...You forgot to think that having flair is as much about behavior and attitude as tennis game and style of shot-making. the French would have supported their compatriots even if they were boring and had a boring game. In other words, they don't love or hate a player for exact same reason they love or hate every other player - there are different reasons for supporting their own domestic player as opposed to a foreign one like for example Federer. It's just so happens to be that particularly Gasquet and Monfils - plus a few female Frenchies often play in a dramatic/entertaining fashion but even if they didn't, they would have been almost always supported.

Had you lived here, you´d understand mateI have been in France and I've never heard of any anti Spanish sentiment whatsoever. On the other hand I've been to Spain and I know for a fact that there is (still) an anti-Portuguese sentiment/complex/hatred over there. By the way do you see Nadal playing victim and grieving and sniveling abut the crowd (or other stuff for that matter)? It seems like Rafa is too refined for his Spanish and other 'fans' with their typical victim mentality. The title of this thread alone is revealing of all the insecurity. "not so warm attitude toward Nadal" LOL