PDA

View Full Version : computer question, please help!

babbette
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I connect to my internet with an ethernet cable. For some reason the ethernet socket on my laptop has stopped working and i've had to resort to wireless which makes everything extremely slow...I can't even watch youtube video for more then 15 seconds before it slows down.

Does anyone know if there are any sort of external ports where you can connect via usb and stick the ethernet cable on the end of it?

I hope that makes sense.

I hope someone can help.

sureshs
05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
I googled "usb ethernet adaptor" and found a whole lot of products like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb+ethernet+adaptor&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3909049789702220635&ei=Uej-S6aIOJG2NrKfvDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAw#

babbette
05-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I googled "usb ethernet adaptor" and found a whole lot of products like this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb+ethernet+adaptor&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3909049789702220635&ei=Uej-S6aIOJG2NrKfvDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAw#
Omg I think that's it, I think that's what I need. Thank you Suresh. You saved me. http://emoticons4u.com/love/246.gif

sureshs
05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
First check is the port is working (do you see lights blinking on it when cable is connected)? The port itself might have been damaged, or the Ethernet card inside. Then see if it might be a software driver issue instead. If nothing works, throw away your computer and get a new one, instead of using these adaptors! You might use this as an excuse to upgrade.

1stVolley
05-27-2010, 04:11 PM
And it could be a defective ethernet cable. Most ethernet adapters will have a light which will turn on when successfully connected to an ethernet switch. When data actually flows through the cable, the light will start blinking. An issue with the ethernet driver might prevent data from flowing although, with most adapters, a solid light will still be on, indicating a physical connection.

djokovicgonzalez2010
05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Most modems connect directly via a USB cord

babbette
05-28-2010, 02:36 AM
First check is the port is working (do you see lights blinking on it when cable is connected)? The port itself might have been damaged, or the Ethernet card inside. Then see if it might be a software driver issue instead. If nothing works, throw away your computer and get a new one, instead of using these adaptors! You might use this as an excuse to upgrade.

I'm afraid of this. There is no light or anything when the ethernet is connected. I'm going to get a cheap one of the devices first to see if that works.

babbette
05-28-2010, 02:39 AM
And it could be a defective ethernet cable. Most ethernet adapters will have a light which will turn on when successfully connected to an ethernet switch. When data actually flows through the cable, the light will start blinking. An issue with the ethernet driver might prevent data from flowing although, with most adapters, a solid light will still be on, indicating a physical connection.
I've tried 2 ethernet cables with the same result. I suspect you and suresh might be right. it might have something to do with the driver.

babbette
05-28-2010, 02:40 AM
Most modems connect directly via a USB cord

not the one i have.

thanks a lot for your replies.

1stVolley
05-28-2010, 03:22 AM
I've tried 2 ethernet cables with the same result. I suspect you and suresh might be right. it might have something to do with the driver.

One other thing to check is what I've termed the "ethernet switch". In a home, this is typically either a router or a direct connection to a cable modem (if you use cable service to get to the internet) or a DSL modem (if you use DSL phone service as your internet connection). A router is a hardware device that you would have bought to connect between your cable modem or DSL modem. It allows multiple computer connections, and some models have a wireless feature as well.

Anyway, whichever of these devices you have, make sure that they are powered on and that their status lights indicate everything is ok

tennisguyak
05-28-2010, 05:19 AM
You can get an ethernet to USB adapter for $5 on the bay. I just bought one yesterday, only USB to ethernet, for my Bluray player. Good luck.

babbette
05-29-2010, 05:21 AM
My nearest computer related store didn't have the usb to ethernet adapter so I purchased it online. I hope it works!

As we speak my connection is painfully slow....I just pray Djokovic finishes his match quickly so that I can watch Nadal's match for at least 1 minute before they end the coverage on tv...because I'm sure not going to be able to watch it on stream:mad:

OroDeSantoro
05-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Check the back of your modem, if it has a output that's shaped like the white one in the middle

http://reviews.cnet.com/sc/20758374-2-440-back-3.gif

then you need a chord that has a male plug shaped like that on one end, and a male usb plug on the other end...

in case you are a laymen... "male" is the penis end that plugs into the "female" vagina end...

the chord in question is pictured at the bottom right

http://i34.tinypic.com/11lpf29.jpg

notice the different shaped plugs at each end, most modems accommodate these plugs