PDA

View Full Version : Federer + Mercedes

Totai
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Mercedes just announced a multi year deal with Federer. I wonder how many cars he is going to get. Lucky guy :p

TennisandMusic
05-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Lucky? Why?

First off, a car is just a hunk of tin with a simple motor that takes you from point A to point B (seriously, cars are not complicated).

Secondly, at Federer's income level, a Mercedes is a cheap crappy car. He could buy a few Bugatti's and not even notice. Then again, that ultra expensive car would get you to the store for toilet paper no better than a Kia.

vbranis
05-27-2010, 09:00 PM
He already has several Mercs from winning the Masters Cup and a few Lexuses from the US Open...

He won this sweet CLS at the '07 Masters Cup in Shanghai:
http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/federer-benz-shanghai-2007.jpg

OddJack
05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
By the way, Nadal's watch cost more than all Rodge mercedeses combined.

ViscaB
05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm sure the good man will donate it all to charity. The same with his private jet...

Totai
05-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Lucky? Why?

First off, a car is just a hunk of tin with a simple motor that takes you from point A to point B (seriously, cars are not complicated).

Secondly, at Federer's income level, a Mercedes is a cheap crappy car. He could buy a few Bugatti's and not even notice. Then again, that ultra expensive car would get you to the store for toilet paper no better than a Kia.

Thanks for your incredible insight

Carsomyr
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm sure Mercedes realized that signing with the tour's biggest player rather than staying with the tour itself was a smarter decision. Federer should sign with Corona and get them to manipulate draws.

angiebaby
05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
This is actually a good fit. I'm not a mercedes fan myself but this is a nice endorsement deal for Fed.

Scientist
05-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I love that this is on the Tennis Channel "Breaking News" ticker 24/7 right now.

Seriously how does this in any way affect anyone's life.

PCXL-Fan
05-27-2010, 10:57 PM
He will use the car to ferry his ever growing entrourage of metrosexual hair stylists and fashion consultants.

OrangeOne
05-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Lucky? Why?

Cars are getting more complicated, especially at the pointy end of the market. I wish everyone could afford cars that avoid crashes....

Secondly, at Federer's income level, a Mercedes is a cheap crappy car. He could buy a few Bugatti's and not even notice.

You're kidding yourself.

First there was the guy in the watch thread saying half a million is cheap for an 'exclusive' watch, now you with this.

Mercedes cars have been driven by the uber-rich and famous for a long time. As nice a concept as a Veyron is, it's not something you drive to the shops day to day. A nice top-end merc sedan or 4wd, however, is something in the garages of many of the richest people. It's also something that allows a degree of anonymity.

It's also (as others suggest) a perfect brand-fit from a sponsorship perspective, Federer is excellent at what he does and absolutely clean-cut, something hard to be found in these days of the Tiger.

Now if we were discussing Kia and Nadal - then you run into some troubles in regard to brand fit, but obviously they were compensating him on the $$ side of things.

TennisandMusic
05-27-2010, 11:48 PM
OO - I think maybe I wasn't clear enough. Mercedes are often driven by people who can't truly afford them and want to have the appearance of wealth (plenty of data to back this up, you can read about this phenomenon in a few books). I am not saying a Mercedes is a crappy car (though I do believe they aren't reliable relative to their cost from what I've read, but whatever), I'm saying for the amount of money Federer has, a mercedes is nothing. To him, it's cheap. I work in La Jolla, CA. A very well off area. Go downtown and there are Lamborghini, Maserati, Ferrari, etc. dealers. Those are nice cars. And the people in La Jolla are waaaaay "worse" off than Federer.

Just about anybody could get behind the wheel of a Mercedes if they really wanted too. Federer IS the perfect match for this kind of sponsorship, because there are plenty of people, certainly some snobby tennis fans, who want to have the appearance of wealth and impress people etc. etc. If Federer endorses them, then it's all the better right? They must be great!

I guess my original point is that first off, Federer isn't "lucky." He's earned his success. I'm pretty sure he obsessed about being the best at tennis from an early age, and as a result it's paid dividends.

Secondly, the original post shows exactly why these people make these sponsorships! "Man, Federer is lucky, he gets Mercedes cars!" The subtext of this is "Perhaps, one day I can get one too!" Which then encourages people to buy things they can't afford. It's not exactly rocket science here. They are getting exactly their desired effect.

But also my other point about other cars being just as effective at their purpose, is that a Mercedes IS expensive for what you get. It's just a stupid car! Why would you want to spend 100 grand, at their top end, for a thing that *really doesn't* avoid crashes? (But remember, Mercedes cars start around 30 grand. "Yes, you too can have a Mercedes!" :p) Sure, many cars are more complicated these days. All cars these days have ECU's I'm guessing. At the end of the day though, it's still just a fuel tank, with a gas pump, and an engine with some cylinders on four wheels. But like I said, you're still driving it to the store for your TP and your deodorant.

In the end, all of this trying to appeal to ones ego is just a bunch of frivolous nonsense. I certainly don't think a 500k watch is a good thing, or cheap in any sense either. I guess I just get down when I see people drooling over "things."

dropshot winner
05-27-2010, 11:57 PM
OO - I think maybe I wasn't clear enough. Mercedes are often driven by people who can't truly afford them and want to have the appearance of wealth (plenty of data to back this up, you can read about this phenomenon in a few books). I am not saying a Mercedes is a crappy car (though I do believe they aren't reliable relative to their cost from what I've read, but whatever), I'm saying for the amount of money Federer has, a mercedes is nothing. To him, it's cheap. I work in La Jolla, CA. A very well off area. Go downtown and there are Lamborghini, Maserati, Ferrari, etc. dealers. Those are nice cars. And the people in La Jolla are waaaaay "worse" off than Federer.

Just about anybody could get behind the wheel of a Mercedes if they really wanted too. Federer IS the perfect match for this kind of sponsorship, because there are plenty of people, certainly some snobby tennis fans, who want to have the appearance of wealth and impress people etc. etc. If Federer endorses them, then it's all the better right? They must be great!

I guess my original point is that first off, Federer isn't "lucky." He's earned his success. I'm pretty sure he obsessed about being the best at tennis from an early age, and as a result it's paid dividends.

Secondly, the original post shows exactly why these people make these sponsorships! "Man, Federer is lucky, he gets Mercedes cars!" The subtext of this is "Perhaps, one day I can get one too!" Which then encourages people to buy things they can't afford. It's not exactly rocket science here. They are getting exactly their desired effect.

But also my other point about other cars being just as effective at their purpose, is that a Mercedes IS expensive for what you get. It's just a stupid car! Why would you want to spend 100 grand, at their top end, for a thing that *really doesn't* avoid crashes? (But remember, Mercedes cars start around 30 grand. "Yes, you too can have a Mercedes!" :p) Sure, many cars are more complicated these days. All cars these days have ECU's I'm guessing. At the end of the day though, it's still just a fuel tank, with a gas pump, and an engine with some cylinders on four wheels. But like I said, you're still driving it to the store for your TP and your deodorant.

In the end, all of this trying to appeal to ones ego is just a bunch of frivolous nonsense. I certainly don't think a 500k watch is a good thing, or cheap in any sense either. I guess I just get down when I see people drooling over "things."

I wouldn't spend 100 grand for any car, but seriously, what kind of argument is that?

Mercedes, as much as I dislike the design of most of them, are well built, safe and (considering the power) economic. If you want a car and are willing to pay an extra, why not?

I mean didn't you buy an iPad? That's a similiar kind of thing no one needs. It does the same as many other, much cheaper things, but it looks nicer.

Sure an iPad is a lot cheaper than a car, then again a car usually doesn't end up in the trash after a 2-3 years like most iPods/iPads.

TennisandMusic
05-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't spend 100 grand for any car, but seriously, what kind of argument is that?

Mercedes, as much as I dislike the design of most of them, are well built, safe and (considering the power) economic. If you want a car and are willing to pay an extra, why not?

I mean didn't you buy an iPad? That's a similiar kind of thing no one needs. It does the same as many other, much cheaper things, but it looks nicer.

Sure an iPad is a lot cheaper than a car, then again a car usually doesn't end up in the trash after a 2-3 years like most iPods/iPads.

Dang, yeah I did buy an iPad. But that's only because I am making software for it. Actually, after using it I don't like it and I really don't want to own one. I just need one because you have to test on it. The thing is pretty much useless.

Man, where did I even post that on here?

Stalker. :p

dropshot winner
05-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Dang, yeah I did buy an iPad. But that's only because I am making software for it. Actually, after using it I don't like it and I really don't want to own one. I just need one because you have to test on it. The thing is pretty much useless.

Man, where did I even post that on here?

Stalker. :p

I remember reading it in the iPad thread a while ago, it was just an analogy anyway.
People these days (including me) buy heaps of trash they don't need. That's why I don't see much of reason to point out a single thing, even if it's as expensive as a car.

TennisandMusic
05-28-2010, 12:25 AM
I remember reading it in the iPad thread a while ago, it was just an analogy anyway.
People these days (including me) buy heaps of trash they don't need. That's why I don't see much of reason to point out a single thing, even if it's as expensive as a car.

Sure, you are right, but some people do try and remedy that situation (heaps of trash they don't need). Not that we need to talk about it, but it's something I've become aware of and have gotten rid of almost everything I own. It's been great actually. :)

I was just kidding about the stalker thing, I know it was an analogy and it was pretty apt. 600, or 100k, if it's frivolous, it's frivolous right (and the iPad is frivolous haha)?

Just as a side note, I would love to get rid of mine. ;)

nicolaisidek
05-28-2010, 12:36 AM
why sign a multi year deal again? I thought he was always under a lifetime contract

Overheadsmash
05-28-2010, 12:58 AM
I would never buy and ipad although there are people out there who will build their lives around it.

Mercedes is a perfect deal for Fed. So is Rolex.

I never go to extremes by buying lots of stuff I don't need. Well, except for tennis racquets lol:mrgreen: Never can have too many I guess.....

dropshot winner
05-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Sure, you are right, but some people do try and remedy that situation (heaps of trash they don't need). Not that we need to talk about it, but it's something I've become aware of and have gotten rid of almost everything I own. It's been great actually. :)

I was just kidding about the stalker thing, I know it was an analogy and it was pretty apt. 600, or 100k, if it's frivolous, it's frivolous right (and the iPad is frivolous haha)?

Just as a side note, I would love to get rid of mine. ;)

"heaps of trash" is a matter of definition. If you look at it from a very harsh viewpoint "trash" involves about 90-99% of a western middleclass persons belongings.

No one needs a tv/stereo, computer, cellphone, nice clothes and shoes, most don't need a car, no one needs cosmetics, a big house/flat, expensive holidays, nice good/drinks, cigarettes, tennis gear and so on. It's still completely unrealistic to expect people to relinquish all that, I wouldn't do it either.

What I try to do is buy as little throw-away stuff as possible, buy local foods instead those from far away, fly only about every 2nd year, don't own a car and use train instead, have a flat that is isolated very well and so on. It won't save the planet, but I calculated that I use about a fourth to a third of the ressources of an average american without living in a cave, and that's definately a start.

Anyway, that hasn't do do much with Federer's Mercedes deal, I'll stop before I'm getting even more off-topic.

nicolaisidek
05-28-2010, 03:15 AM
i agree with you. But i think it's just up to how an individual would want his or her life to run

dropshot winner
05-28-2010, 03:16 AM
i agree with you. But i think it's just up to how an individual would want his or her life to run

Of course.

Fedex
05-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Lucky? Why?

This is why the planet's going down the pan.
Great post btw.
You've said a hell of a lot in a few words.

Jchurch
05-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Actually, Mercedes do help to avoid crashes through a variety of technologies such as radar cruise control, lane assist, and a few others. Yes, they aren't 100% effective, but they help.

Chris Rizutto
05-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Great for Fed. I always thought BMW made the coolest, best performing cars within a reasonable price margin. And anyone buying them for status symbols are massive tools.

West Coast Ace
05-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow! Didn't expect to get a 'Workers of the World Unite' speech on a tennis message board... thanks TennisandMusic and Fedex! :rolleyes:

Clue to you kids: while some overspending is bad, Commerce is very necessary to keep people employed. If everyone decided to only buy food, water, and shelter for a year the world would go into a death spiral and Chaos would reign.

Good deal for Fed and Mercedes. Like Overheadsmash said, Fed goes with solid companies and this is another. The new SLS AMG is pretty sweet - gotta love the gullwing doors - I'm sure Fed will enjoy tooling around it it - but he'll need one of their SUVs for the girls. And for MB, after giving up their title rights to the ATP tour, it will still keep them around the game. The tennis demographic is a good one to get your product in front of.

Gorecki
05-28-2010, 10:45 AM
BMW? what is the difference between them and Porcupines?

Totai
05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Mercedes owns Maybach, I wonder if he will any of those (Maybach is to Mercedes like Lexus is to Toyota)