PDA

View Full Version : Prince O3 Control on Groundies?

newnuse
05-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Greetings All,

After a long layoff, the tennis bug has bit me again. I've demo-ed multiple rackets the past few weeks. I hit with the Prince O3 Tour and a couple of Dunlops yesterday (300 m-fil & Maxply)

Impressions of the O3:
Paint job is very nice, black with the orange is sweet, especially since it matches with my Hot Lava Xb 8-)

Tons of spin on my serves, could really hit my seconds w/out worrying about it going long

Volleys are excellent, stable with good pop, maneuverable

Groundies,
good for slices, control with bite

Could not control my topsin shots, felt like the racket was catching the ball and shooting it wayyyyyy long during my follow through
I think a hit the back fence a few times (eastern forehand, 1&2 hander backhand)

I couldn't control my topsin shots for the life of me.

Did anybody experience this problem with their ground strokes on the O3?
If so, would stringing it a higher tension fix this?

It's a fun racket to play with. The sweet spot is large. The racket is very solid and stable despite being a Prince. :shock: I would like to buy this racket but I'm not sure if I can control the racket on my ground strokes.

Thanks,

newnuse

tennisally
05-17-2005, 05:36 AM
I switched to the O3 from the NXG. The sweet spot is much larger and the frame more flexible. It does take some concentration to get used to the swingweight, etc...on this one. The holes do seem to make a difference....When you connect, it's awesome and then you got it after that. Good luck!

AndrewD
05-17-2005, 05:57 AM
It is a different kind of feel so you've got to give yourself time to dial in your shots. If your topspin shots were going long Id be looking at the tension first (one of the big problems with demo frames). It is a 100sq frame so if the tension is a bit too loose - in general or even just for you- control will suffer. Also, I think it is the type of frame that, for topspin shots, most rewards a thinner gauge string and a faster swing speed. Give yourself a bit of time to find your contract zone and you'll do fine. Of course, that is why we need to demo a frame a few times, not just the once.

I hit pretty flat and did have a few issues with control, apart from my slice backhand. Nothing that I feel couldn't be adjusted to however. Just a case of my needing a bit more racquet head speed or a tighter string tension. The headsize is too large for me but other than that I thought it was the best effort from Prince in a long time (apart from the Diablo mid).

ormurray
05-17-2005, 06:40 AM
I have one strung at 60 and I like it a lot. At first I had a problem with forehand topspin shots going long, but after a bit I adjusted and the problem went away.

Hewitt rulez
05-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Hey tennisally I also use a NXG. Does the O3 tour feel like it has more control? I don't think the NXG has as much control as other players racquets? I would demo the O3 but I got my NXG less than a year ago so my parents wouldn't let me get a new racquet.

Colpo
05-17-2005, 12:41 PM
I've been hitting with an o3 Tour for about 2 weeks. Very, very good frame. The one I've been hitting with is strung with Prince Polygut 17g. at 62 lbs., and while I'd keep the tension in that range for a big hitter, I think it'd play even better with a better-playability string. Weight and balance are very easy to get used to. I've added just a few strips of lead to the underside of the open throat bridge, bumping the gross weight up by .3 oz. (still under 12 oz., but swings like a players' bat). I'm surprised more people here haven't gushed over the terrific hand-feel provided by this frame! It's a legit 18 mm. through the throat and through the upper part of the hoop, widening by 2 mm. at the shoulders for pace, stability and to stretch out the sweetspot. The profile is so thin, it really encourages big-swinging, Western grip bashing with plenty of whip, much more so than, say, a Babolat Aeropro despite the latter's wing-like profile. For me, the headsize and length of the o3 work out great. Recommend highly.

tennisally
05-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi---Hewitt ruelz. The O3 is more flexible and balances the control and feel. I think it's light for a player's racquet, but maybe that's after playing with the NXG. The control just comes so easily. It will lend itself to customizing--- Lead tape and your favorite strings. I've been on the boards with string advice for the O3. (58 lbs is too loose for me) You should give it a spin, I've decided to keep both and restrung my NXG to feel a little more like the O3. I didn't want to shell out for a second O3. I've switched hit with both, no problem going back and forth. Oh---the O3 is easier on the arm than the NXG. I can't believe how much I like this racquet. I was happy with the NXG.

cheecl
05-17-2005, 02:56 PM
We had the O3 tour strung with Forten Amarid Gear @ 60lbs. Balls hit deep - Plenty of pop & Good control with spin. Western FH, DH Backhand.

barry
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Waiting on my O3 Tour to arrive. Anyone tried 17 guage Poly? If so what tension. I was thinking 58, put any input would be appreciated.

David Valencia
05-17-2005, 04:03 PM
I have one of my O3 strung with Pacific PolyForce 17 at 58lbs (on a constant pull machine). I have played with it briefly and like the setup.

drak
05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Demoed the 03 today, pretty much groundstrokes only and a few volleys. Stellar on the one-handed backhand for power and spin - you can really crank it. One of the top echelon one-handed backhand rackets I have hit with in 30 years of tennis. Lots of spin potential with good control and a nice power level for this type of frame. Volleys felt solid. Felt easy on the arm as well. I will try again, felt pretty solid for its "stock "weight.

I did notice on the backhand, especially when pulled wide or on a deep hard hit ball, I could really get through the shot quickly and still pull it crosscourt if I wanted, much more easily than with my regular frame - perhaps that is the technology at work.

Drak

4.5 all court player

POGO
05-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I just demoed the O3 Tour today, and my impression was WOW!!!!!!! I has a large sweet spot and it has great ball feel. Not very new rackets have great ball feel. The demoed was strung with Prince syn. gut original.

I think I just found my new racket.

I think the racket is more suited for western grip users. Spin is so easy to hit with the O3 tour. Prince really got a winner here, much better than the diablo, and NXG tour. I think this will be Prince's next best seller next to thier POG.

deflori
05-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Wow that sounds very good....i often come short with my western so it can be a option,the o3...
Cant wait to test this one..what about the gripcap,is it very different from head? - i would come from a instinct to it..
Everyone said that its so great for topspin,seems to be a new spinmachine!?

edge
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
My son has optimized his O3 demo with BB ALU at 53 lbs. and 2.125 grams of lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock.

NGreenwald42390
05-17-2005, 05:36 PM
is the best spot for lead tape at 3-9?

Alex
07-18-2005, 11:14 PM
How does the O3 tour feel...when hitting " Flat " ground stroke and serve?