PDA

View Full Version : What makes him different at RG?

President
05-28-2010, 02:36 PM
What makes Robin Soderling different at RG compared to other flat hitters like Querrey, Cilic, Isner, Berdych, Blake, Roddick (well he used to be), ect? His movement is nothing special, and actually he hasn't had very good results on other clay surfaces. But once again at the French Open, Soderling is playing fantastic tennis. I'd say he is playing the best out of the top 10 atm.

What is it about this surface that makes his game click, when it doesn't have the same effect for other big hitters?

kishnabe
05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't what he is doing....but if he goes for an amazing run again....my god!

slicefox
05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
he believes he can do it.

he is strong mentally at RG because he remembers that's what got him to the finals last year.

remember the towels on his head?

vortex1
05-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Soderling is just lucky to get mug opponents. If he had any decent clay courters in his draw, he'd get roasted.

OddJack
05-28-2010, 05:12 PM
There is not much difference. He is going to go out in next two rounds.

Halba
05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
What makes Robin Soderling different at RG compared to other flat hitters like Querrey, Cilic, Isner, Berdych, Blake, Roddick (well he used to be), ect? His movement is nothing special, and actually he hasn't had very good results on other clay surfaces. But once again at the French Open, Soderling is playing fantastic tennis. I'd say he is playing the best out of the top 10 atm.

What is it about this surface that makes his game click, when it doesn't have the same effect for other big hitters?

he isn't the best out of the top 10 at the moment. he dropped 1 set to montanes. a few guys haven't even dropped a set. the opponents quality hasn't been good for fed,rafa and ferrer etc, so its impossible to say who is playing best.

with tennis, how you are playing is strongly determined by the person on the other side of the net.

berdych played the best today

Totai
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Soderling is a big hitter off both wings, not just FH like the other big hitters. Also his coach is Magnus Norman... he knows a thing of 2 about the FO

Walenty
05-28-2010, 05:55 PM
he believes he can do it.

he is strong mentally at RG because he remembers that's what got him to the finals last year.

remember the towels on his head?

This sums it up pretty well.

Also considering clay gives a higher bounce, he has no problems ripping shots that come up high to his forehand, probably more so than the other hitters on that list.

jigar
05-28-2010, 08:02 PM
He is playing really well this year. I think he can be a trouble for some other guys.

decades
05-28-2010, 08:42 PM
his cake walk draws....

billnepill
05-28-2010, 11:52 PM
his cake walk draws....

Yep, one can only dream to face one of the clay GOATs on clay in the 4th round.

P.S. Pls don't reply with anything containing i, n, j, u, r, e, d

MichaelNadal
05-29-2010, 12:03 AM
There is not much difference. He is going to go out in next two rounds.

Exactly, damn how many threads do we need about the great "Robin Soderling" ugh.

TheFifthSet
05-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Exactly, damn how many threads do we need about the great "Robin Soderling" ugh.

Well he has won 9 of his last 10 matches at the French, so he must be doing something right.

aphex
05-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Soderling is just lucky to get mug opponents. If he had any decent clay courters in his draw, he'd get roasted.

it's not that easy this year-he doesn't get to crush rafaela again.

TheFifthSet
05-29-2010, 01:08 AM

Ferrer, Nadal, Davydenko, Gonzalez and Montanes are mug opponents now?

joeri888
05-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Very big fore- AND backhand. Has gained a lot of ground because of the faster courts as well. Is very strong mentally, and doesn't give up ever. Believes he can win, always. He's also a solid mover on clay.

cucio
05-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Because he can handle high balls very well and, compared to other so-called flat hitters, he can hit some mean topspin too. In fact I don't have pegged Robin as a "flat hitter", sure he tends to finish points with a big flat winner, but he uses a lot of topspin for point construction.

He has had good results on other clay tournaments this year, he reached the final in Barcelona and had the bad luck to run into an absolutely on-fire Almagro in Madrid, losing in a tight, high-quality match.

RCizzle65
05-29-2010, 01:52 AM
It took 17 posts to recgonize that Soderling isn't a flat hitter?

joeri888
05-29-2010, 01:56 AM
It took 17 posts to recgonize that Soderling isn't a flat hitter?

No. his motion looks flat, but he actually uses a lot of spins. But I think most people were just referring to other big hitters. Cilic and Del Potro aren't necessarily flat hitters either.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
05-29-2010, 01:57 AM
My understanding is last year the courts were drier than usual, thus rewarded greater for big shots. I noticed last year guys like gonzales and haas did well too, who can rip it off either wing. in other words...when the court is sped up the defensive type players suffer.

I'd like some input on how the conditions are this year.

hawk eye
05-29-2010, 02:11 AM
C'mon everybody knows besides his big groundies, his touch and feel around the net make him stand out..

Leonidas
05-29-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't what he is doing....but if he goes for an amazing run again....my god!

The frenchies made the courts a bit quicker, so the courts are a quicker than the other tourneys´ . PLus, the bounce is higher, and Soderling love to bash high balls from the baseline.

Gorecki
05-29-2010, 04:27 AM
The frenchies made the courts a bit quicker, so the courts are a quicker than the other tourneys´ . PLus, the bounce is higher, and Soderling love to bash high balls from the baseline.

you are still pushing this idiotic argument? didnt you get enough mockery already about squeaking bs? my god...

Sangria
05-29-2010, 05:12 AM
He hasn't really faced anyone flash this draw yet, bar Montanes. Didn't see the match, but looked close anyway. Federer will steamroll him again, and then these threads will vanish again lol.