PDA

View Full Version : Nadal: I can win a lot of matches without run crazy all the time

billnepill
05-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Probably I am running like I did in 2005, 2006, no? I can win a lot of matches without run crazy all the time, so that's a big improvement.

I agree with Nadal. It seems he controls the matches really well nowadays, without pushing his body to the limit.

The whole interview is very interesting. Check it here: http://www.zimbio.com/Rafael+Nadal/articles/Qhag3jLtGe7/Rafael+Nadal+French+Open+Tennis+Interview

aceX
05-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Yeah if he hits deep then he can beat anyone and can control the point without crazy running. But if he doesn't hit deep, he loses to Murray

joeri888
05-29-2010, 01:41 AM
On Clay? Yes. On everything else, he can save himself until quarters or something. But against guys like Murray, Federer, Roddick, Davydenko, Del Potro and Djokovic he'll need everything he's got.

ViscaB
05-29-2010, 01:44 AM
On Clay? Yes. On everything else, he can save himself until quarters or something. But against guys like Murray, Federer, Roddick, Davydenko, Del Potro and Djokovic he'll need everything he's got.

Very true with regards to hardcourts. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of evolution of his serve. Without a big serve he needs to play extremely well to make a chance on hard courts.

In terms of grass courts you are missing the mark. He got to the final in his last 3 appearances at Wimbledon and won with his last appearance at Queens.

joeri888
05-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Very true with regards to hardcourts. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of evolution of his serve. Without a big serve he needs to play extremely well to make a chance on hard courts.

In terms of grass courts you are missing the mark. He got to the final in his last 3 appearances at Wimbledon and won with his last appearance at Queens.

I know, but I think he'll need his crazy running against Murray, Roddick and maybe even Hewitt on that surface.

He made the final running like crazy in 2006 and 2007. In 2008 he was absolutely peaking, but I don't think he's that good again (yet).

malakas
05-29-2010, 02:29 AM
it definitely has improved,but maybe it's too late by now.:?

angiebaby
05-29-2010, 03:39 AM

You mean for his knees?

Clearly there's been damage done but better late than never no? He can, at least from this point onwards, mitigate the damage to his knees by not running down every point. I think his overall game has improved enough to allow him to do that without being punished for it.

I do think Rafa will be a lot better come hardcourt season this year than we're used to seeing him perform at that time of year. And that will be down, to a great extent, to the fact that he's been easier on himself in the preceding events (grass and even clay).

Hitman
05-29-2010, 04:58 AM
I think on hardcourts it will be difficult. Guys like Djokovic, Soderling, Del Potro, Davydenko will mostly dictate against him on fast hard courts, with flat penetrating shots taken on the rise. He will be doing a lot of running to get to some of them, because the time he has to get to the ball is less. If he chooses not to, it could cost him.

On clay, and maybe grass he maybe correct. But natural surfaces don't punish his knees like the hard courts.

vortex1
05-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Rafa needs to flatten out his FH. I know he can do it, but for some reason he does so rarely.

jackson vile
05-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Guess again, you guys are going to have to get used to it. Nadal is going to be around for a very long time, every year you guys are wrong.

Can you see the light...

TheTruth
05-29-2010, 10:18 AM
^^^

Agree. Nadal is ever evolving. I don't believe the premonitions about the knees, a prediction they've been espousing for all his career, and he keeps not only maintaining, but getting stronger.

I hope he's around for a long time. I love the crazy shots and passion for the game.

davey25
05-29-2010, 10:24 AM
When Nadal first rose to the top I predicted he would last near the top until he was around 25 or 26. I still predict that. I think he has a couple more years left but probably no more than that.

dh003i
05-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I agree with davey25. It is difficult to see him playing at the top for more than a couple more years.

Legend of Borg
05-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Guess again, you guys are going to have to get used to it. Nadal is going to be around for a very long time, every year you guys are wrong.

Can you see the light...

He did miss a large portion of last year because of injury, so perhaps there is some truth to their claims, no?

namelessone
05-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree with davey25. It is difficult to see him playing at the top for more than a couple more years.

Rafa said that he will play until he is 27-28,at most 30.

kaleidoskope
05-29-2010, 01:26 PM
One thing amazes me is what he has accomplished at his age. He is only 23/24, fercryin'outloud...
If he focuses, me thinks he can break every record out there, in the next 4/5 years...