PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Volkl V-1 Setup?

bcaz
05-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I picked up a V-1 10-Year Anniversary Edition yesterday for a good price. I'm thinking of switching to the V-1 family in order to get more power and racquet speed in my game. I've used the Estusa PBB, usually with all-gut or a gut hybrid, for almost two years. They are weighted at about 12.8 oz. and about 10-11 pts. HL.

I was surprised the V-1 weighed just 10.5 strung with the Volkl dampener. After hitting serves and then re-stringing at home last night, the racquet is currently: Klip Legend 17g at 59 pounds; masking tape plus lead tape on the grip, around the butt cap, and just above the grip; Wilson Pro overgrip and electrical tape above the grip. It now weighs 11.3 oz. and is about 6 pts. head-light. I haven't hit with the new set-up yet. I will soon but I won't try to play with it until the current league season ends in a few weeks.

Does anyone here have experience setting up a V-1 who is willing to share their suggestions?

NoBadMojo
05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Bcaz I think you are def on the right track. The V1 lends itself well to lead especially down low, and you seem to like headlight...you'll just have to screw around w. the lead until you optimize. Also, no prob in stringing a few over max rec tension if you have to, or alternatively you could do a vigorous prestretch of the Klip and that will take some of the energy out of the string, but perhaps this is a good time to learn to use the power to your benefit perhaps by spinning the ball more for control..maybe you can ramp up your game a bit with this change. goodluck!

bcaz
05-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Mojo -- I get plenty of spin from the PBB, but when I play a good player who can attack my backhand (I'm a lefty) with depth and pace, I cough up too many short balls, especially when I'm stretched wide. Likewise, to control the matchup from the baseline, I need to be able to hit the backhand deep and up the line to set up my forehand. I've demoed the V-1 10-year, the V-1 Cat, and several other sticks recently. The V-1's were the best for me overall.

nextNalbandian
05-16-2005, 05:26 AM
I have 5 V-1"s and have played with them for about 3 years. I haven't customized mone yet but I am looking into. Just a suggestion: I string mine at 70lbs. with 16 gauge multi-filamament. Ihave been stringing like this for about a year and a half and the Volkl's have held up very nicely.