PDA

View Full Version : Wilander complete idiot?

big bang
05-29-2010, 01:49 PM
In tonights episode of game, set and Mats on Eurosport Wilander talked about the Nadal-Hewitt match, he mentioned that Rafa was hitting deeper than last season but not hitting as much spin because he switched to a new string thats not as spin-friendly as the old one he used..

Now as far as ppl know, Rafa is either using RPM blast or PHT black, both strings very spin-friendly!

Before Rafa used duralast, not as spin-friendly at all compared to the two above.

Why is wilander saying crap like this if he doesnt now **** about the equipment used on tour?

ProCoach
05-29-2010, 01:57 PM
In tonights episode of game, set and Mats on Eurosport Wilander talked about the Nadal-Hewitt match, he mentioned that Rafa was hitting deeper than last season but not hitting as much spin because he switched to a new string thats not as spin-friendly as the old one he used..

Now as far as ppl know, Rafa is either using RPM blast or PHT black, both strings very spin-friendly!

Before Rafa used duralast, not as spin-friendly at all compared to the two above.

Why is wilander saying crap like this if he doesnt now **** about the equipment used on tour?

I spent a couple of weeks hanging with Wilander behind the scenes at the Nuveen Masters Tour stops a number of years back and it just doesn't seem like him to say off the wall stuff. He is very intelligent and a thoughtful guy who is definitely a "look before you leap" kind of guy. Maybe he knows something that we don't know. Maybe he was talking in terms of string gauge because at one point, Nadal used a 15 gauge poly setup and I thought he had gone to a thinner gauged string. Maybe Nadal has switched back to a thicker gauge string this year and that is what Wilander is meaning with his statement. I could be totally wrong though.........

Sartorius
05-29-2010, 02:18 PM
From Rafa's blog:

You're playing with new strings this year and, to my untrained eye, it seems you might be hitting the ball harder and longer. What was the aim of the new strings and do you think they're working for you? Vamos for Roland Garros! Rachel from Berkhamsted

RN: Yes, absolutely.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/questions-for-rafa-its-time-to-buy-a-camera.html

Well, Rafa doesn't really give an answer to that, but maybe Wilander is onto something.. In any case to my eye Rafa still plays with his usual spin.

hoodjem
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Patrick McEnroe and Darren Cahill said the same thing.

Among those three, I think they do know what they are talking about.

rovex
05-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Am i the only one why Nadal doesn't actually say in words the strings he uses? It's good for advertising purposes for Babolat anyway.

Gorecki
05-29-2010, 02:48 PM

the guy has 7 slams in his belt... of course he is just a mug. now on the other hand, YOU are them man to go when in need of knowledge... :rolleyes:

christos_liaskos
05-29-2010, 02:51 PM
He's been saying it all week in commentary, and for those that have heard him say it you should have also picked up in him saying that Carlos Costa, Rafa's agent, actually told him this. So whether Costa is lying or not is a different matter, but Wilander definitely didnt come up with the idea out of thin air

big bang
05-30-2010, 10:05 AM
the guy has 7 slams in his belt... of course he is just a mug. now on the other hand, YOU are them man to go when in need of knowledge... :rolleyes:
yeah and because he won 7 slams he knows everything about strings right:rolleyes:

RPM blast and PHT are considered way more spin-friendly than Duralast in case you didnt know!

Nanshiki
05-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Spin is the same but the strings have more power.

Raindogs
05-30-2010, 10:50 AM
I guess that we will just have to agree to disagree on this hot-button issue of vital importance.

Gorecki
05-30-2010, 11:16 AM
yeah and because he won 7 slams he knows everything about strings right:rolleyes:

RPM blast and PHT are considered way more spin-friendly than Duralast in case you didnt know!

like i said.. you are the genius who know best. he is the mug...

hoosierbr
05-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Sometimes Wilander's opinions and predictions are a little off the wall, even he says so! But as far as knowledge about the game and equipment goes there's very few, if any, who are as knowledgeable.

Funny for a guy that took such a dive after reaching the top in 1988 with burn out and commitment problems that he lives and breathes tennis again. I think he probably plays more now between senior events, exhibitions and doing his Wilander on Wheels stuff than he did the last few years of his career!

People on this board who have met him and hung out with him a little at these things says he's a pretty cool dude.

big bang
05-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Sometimes Wilander's opinions and predictions are a little off the wall, even he says so! But as far as knowledge about the game and equipment goes there's very few, if any, who are as knowledgeable.

Funny for a guy that took such a dive after reaching the top in 1988 with burn out and commitment problems that he lives and breathes tennis again. I think he probably plays more now between senior events, exhibitions and doing his Wilander on Wheels stuff than he did the last few years of his career!

People on this board who have met him and hung out with him a little at these things says he's a pretty cool dude.
I agree, he is a very nice to talk to. Had a small chat with him several years ago.

like i said.. you are the genius who know best. he is the mug...
yeah sure and you are the jerk right?
Nadal used duralast 15 g before (in case you didnt know), his new string is either RPM or PHT, both strings are way ahead of duralast in terms of spin potential (in case you didnt know once again). If Nadal isnt hitting as much spin as last year it has nothing to do with his strings!

acintya
05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
wilander is a federer wannabe

AndyArodRoddick
05-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I actually like a lot Wilanders comments.. I think anyone who says that Wilander is talking bullshi* is a brainiac.

Al Czervik
05-30-2010, 01:07 PM
I think some of these commentators see the black and just assume it's new. Mary Carillo said Tsonga, Roddick, and Nadal are using the same new Babolat string. Gimelstob or Roger Rasheed thought Rafa had more pop earlier in the year due to a string change, so I think there is some merit to that if he is back to Duralast.

vandyer
05-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I've been watching Eurosport all week, listening to Wilander as commentator. He has said on a number of occasions that Carlos Costa said Nadal is using strings which allow him to hit deeper balls without adjusting his actual swing, this is done by the strings giving less spin.

If you watch Nadal, this looks the case, although im pretty sure he's still going to win.

The commentators also said that Nadal is trying to shorten the points which will help his body as the rallies will be shorter, for RG this is less of an issue, but taking spin off and flattenign our his shorts will do him good for the future.

West Coast Ace
05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Sometimes Wilander's opinions and predictions are a little off the wall,... Understatement. I have friends who are Fed fanatics - and very religious - they've said they want some 'real bad things' to happen to Mats, specifically certain sensitive parts of his anatomy.

I watched Rafa at the practice courts in Shanghai last Oct, March in IW, and last month in Rome - he's trying to (somewhat) flatten out his FH. Even my limited knowledge of Spanish - and from his hand signals - it was obvious what he was trying to do. So the 'more spin friendly' strings are doing their thing - and his modification of his strokes are doing what he wants it to.

big bang
05-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Understatement. I have friends who are Fed fanatics - and very religious - they've said they want some 'real bad things' to happen to Mats, specifically certain sensitive parts of his anatomy.

I watched Rafa at the practice courts in Shanghai last Oct, March in IW, and last month in Rome - he's trying to (somewhat) flatten out his FH. Even my limited knowledge of Spanish - and from his hand signals - it was obvious what he was trying to do. So the 'more spin friendly' strings are doing their thing - and his modification of his strokes are doing what he wants it to.
just like I said, hes not hitting less spin because he changed from duralast!

big bang
05-30-2010, 02:45 PM
I actually like a lot Wilanders comments.. I think anyone who says that Wilander is talking bullshi* is a brainiac.
well good for you! but in this case Wilander is talking BS.

jelichek
05-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah well maybe you should try hitting with the RPM Blast stuff. May be most over-hyped string of all time. No extra spin and not as much pop as ALU Banger. Sounds like Wilander is right on point.

big bang
05-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah well maybe you should try hitting with the RPM Blast stuff. May be most over-hyped string of all time. No extra spin and not as much pop as ALU Banger. Sounds like Wilander is right on point.
You dont think I tried the strings mentioned here? and where did BB ALU POWER come into this conversation:shock: noone mentioned BB or any LUX string for that matter. Sounds more like you havent done your homework, and thats normally a wise thing to do before posting!
Try duralast and comeback ok, thanks:roll:

Gorecki
05-30-2010, 11:48 PM
yeah sure and you are the jerk right?

wanna keep it clean or you are just going for the ad-hominem?

aphex
05-30-2010, 11:51 PM

you're the complete idiot.
Wilander said that he spoke to Nadal's stringer or coach or something and HE told him that, even though Mats didn't know about the "less spin" in the beginning.

and LOL at you thinking you have more of a clue or insider info than Mats Wilander.

edit: it was his manager, Carlos Costa.

big bang
05-31-2010, 01:36 AM
you're the complete idiot.
Wilander said that he spoke to Nadal's stringer or coach or something and HE told him that, even though Mats didn't know about the "less spin" in the beginning.

and LOL at you thinking you have more of a clue or insider info than Mats Wilander.

edit: it was his manager, Carlos Costa.
read my post again then, i never claimed to have any insider info on this matter.
If Nadal is hitting with less spin this year it has nothing to do with his strings! but what would you know:rolleyes:
Oh yeah and Wilander said it was easy to see that Nadal generated less spin this year, perhaps you should try watch the program.. it might help a bit!

big bang
05-31-2010, 01:46 AM
wanna keep it clean or you are just going for the ad-hominem?
you started talking BS not me. Some of you guys seems to be in love with wilander or something.
Answer this question then: would anyone generate less spin with RPM or PHT compared to duralast 15 g? I know the answer so dont waste your time. If Nadal hits less spin then its on purpose and NOT because he changed his strings.

jerriy
05-31-2010, 02:20 AM
you started talking BS not me.Own up! You started it. So what if Mats saying something (even if wrong) about what he heard from costa regarding Nadal's change of string? That is in no way proportional to your thread with a filthy Mats-diss title.

big bang
05-31-2010, 02:53 AM
Own up! You started it. So what if Mats saying something (even if wrong) about what he heard from costa regarding Nadal's change of string? That is in no way proportional to your thread with a filthy Mats-diss title.

oh sorry if i insulted your BF then. when you say things like that on TV ppl might begin to question your knowledge about players equipment.

Gorecki
05-31-2010, 03:29 AM
you started talking BS not me. Some of you guys seems to be in love with wilander or something.
Answer this question then: would anyone generate less spin with RPM or PHT compared to duralast 15 g? I know the answer so dont waste your time. If Nadal hits less spin then its on purpose and NOT because he changed his strings.

whatever you say Mr...

NikeUp
05-31-2010, 06:42 AM
oh sorry if i insulted your BF then. when you say things like that on TV ppl might begin to question your knowledge about players equipment.

What a tool. How old are you, 15?

El Diablo
05-31-2010, 06:54 AM
AndyArod makes a good point. The guy says something you don't agree with, so he's a "Complete idiot"? Are you twelve? (15 year olds are usually more mature than that.)

big bang
05-31-2010, 12:07 PM
AndyArod makes a good point. The guy says something you don't agree with, so he's a "Complete idiot"? Are you twelve? (15 year olds are usually more mature than that.)
why dont you guys make a poll about about it.
Im probably old enough to be your daddy! and yes i have a problem with commentators who talks about stuff they are not 100% sure of.

By the way I do have some insider info from a friend of mine at RG. Nadal lowered his tension a bit at this years FO, his frames are strung at 24,5 kg and once again its confirmed that his strings are RPM or PHT black. very difficult to tell the difference between the two, but it seems to be 16 g.
Im leaving for FO tomorrow night, so maybe I will get a close look for myself.

Note: I dont have anything against Wilander, like I said he was a nice guy when i met him.

samurai13
05-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Rafa's strings are just paintjobs

alcheng
05-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Im probably old enough to be your daddy! and yes i have a problem with commentators who talks about stuff they are not 100% sure of.

By the way I do have some insider info from a friend of mine at RG. Nadal lowered his tension a bit at this years FO, his frames are strung at 24,5 kg and once again its confirmed that his strings are RPM or PHT black. very difficult to tell the difference between the two, but it seems to be 16 g.

Note: I dont have anything against Wilander, like I said he was a nice guy when i met him.

So are you saying you are 100% Sure Wilander's info is wrong, and the info from your friend at RG is 100% Surely Correct ?

If your answer is 'Yes', can you explain it from the actual fact? I mean the fact that not only just from the color of the string, what strings Nadal used to play.

The fact that who is your insider friend, his relationship with Nadal, how did he know those info, etc etc....

I am not having doubt on you, but you sound 100% Firmly Sure on what you say, so I am just curious to know your actual reason behind your statement.

thank you

:):)

alcheng
05-31-2010, 01:46 PM
read my post again then, i never claimed to have any insider info on this matter.
If Nadal is hitting with less spin this year it has nothing to do with his strings! but what would you know:rolleyes:
Oh yeah and Wilander said it was easy to see that Nadal generated less spin this year, perhaps you should try watch the program.. it might help a bit!

BTW, which statement should I listen to you, Red or Green??

thank you

decades
05-31-2010, 01:58 PM
did you ever think HE might be the one who knows what he is talking about and the 3.0 know it alls who hang out here don't?

big bang
05-31-2010, 02:31 PM
BTW, which statement should I listen to you, Red or Green??

thank you

yes I didnt claim to have any insider info earlier, but like I said i know a guy at RG and Im going there tomorrow like i do every year. Talked on the phone with my friend a few hours ago, he knows some of the stringers at RG and had the chance to look at the strings himself.
I will try to see if I can get a list of strings and tension used at RG this year.

leoresende2007
05-31-2010, 03:31 PM
yes I didnt claim to have any insider info earlier, but like I said i know a guy at RG and Im going there tomorrow like i do every year. Talked on the phone with my friend a few hours ago, he knows some of the stringers at RG and had the chance to look at the strings himself.
I will try to see if I can get a list of strings and tension used at RG this year.
Please, see if Nadal's string is Pro hurricane tour or RPM and post it
Thanks

alcheng
05-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Please, see if Nadal's string is Pro hurricane tour or RPM and post it
Thanks

Also, Only PICTURES can prove, not word

thank you

cork_screw
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Easy there safintard. The man's old, he's grandpa's age. He might not say things that make sense. But he is still hip in the euro world as far as grumpsters are concerned.

LPShanet
05-31-2010, 07:36 PM

At the risk of stepping into the middle of a flame war that I have nothing to do with, I'll try to shed a little light on this. First a little bit about tennis physics to help out. While neither is a power string, both RPM Blast and PHT are more elastic than Duralast, which means both have a little bit more inherent power to them under lab conditions. That would indeed help nadal hit deeper without a change in stroke. Technically, it probably isn't affecting the actual RPM's of his shots, but if they're moving deeper/faster, the same amount of spin will have a slightly reduced effect in dipping the ball into the court.

As it happens, there is no string texture, shape, etc. that has been shown in a lab to have significantly more spin potential than another inherently. I know this SEEMS wrong to many of us, as we can swear that textured strings and others help our spin and smooth ones may hamper it, but no statistically significant spin improvement ever been duplicated under controlled conditions given the same swing. The reason polys in general seem more spin friendly than other types of string is that they are deader and less elastic, which allows players to swing faster/harder at the ball without it going out, thus producing more spin. Despite many years of lab tests trying to determine if there is a texture or string shape that produces more spin, results have always shown the effect to be negligible. Spin is a result of racquet head speed, and Rafa's is likely to be unchanged now by any string change.

As the OP stated, both PHT and RPM Blast are fairly string friendly, and this is certainly true if you define that in terms of the way that all polys help spin production by allowing faster swings. But by those criteria, Duralast is a very spin friendly string, too.

Lastly, I'd think it was a major error for any recreational fan/player to call Wilander stupid or say that Wilander doesn't know ____ about any aspect of tennis. After all, Wilander's brain was famously referred to as the greatest weapon in tennis during his playing days, more feared than Lendl's forehand, Mac's volleys, or Becker's serve. In my experience, he was always a super smart, thoughtful, thorough and very kind guy.