PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Customized Racquet?

VictorS.
05-15-2005, 05:22 PM
I recently read an article, perhaps in the tennis magazine, about how many professionals and even club players these days get their racquets custom-made to fit their style of play, etc.

I currently play with an out-of-date Wilson Pro Staff 6.6 tour classic (Jim Courier signature racquet). I've played with the racquet for quite some time now and I've had difficulty finding a worthy replacement. Is there any way of perhaps getting a racquet custom-made (perhaps by Bosworth or even Wilson) which would be an exact duplication to the racquet I currently play with? Obviously this would probably cost some more money, but I just want to make sure I exhaust all my options before switching to another frame.

andrew_slattery
05-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Yes, there is a business called 'Vantage' in the UK which make custom made frames. They have a website - vantagetennis dot com. They use Fed Ex to ship your racquet(s) to you so it will be less than a week from the time you order to the time you receive your custom made frames. They are about 130 pounds each.

Lakoste
05-15-2005, 06:30 PM
yeah, vanntage is the only the only company i know that makes custom racquets

marialover
05-15-2005, 06:51 PM
yeah, vanntage is the only the only company i know that makes custom racquets
Bosworth, in Boca Raton, Florida, also custom makes racquets for the public as well as Martina Navratilova and Amy Frazier.

Coda
05-15-2005, 07:03 PM
you make it sound like the racket is too old to play with...send it over to me if that's the case!

J D
05-15-2005, 11:16 PM
VictorS, don't be fooled into thinking a custom racquet, even with similar specs, is going to play or feel like your PS 6.6. There are going to be significant design and materials differences which will make them very different from your frame.

Your best bet is to find some very lightly used 6.6's from the classifieds here, ****, and local places like consignment shops, yard sales, bulletin boards, etc... In the meantime, you might as well use the TW racquet finder and demo some frames with similar specs. You never know, you just might find something you like more than your old frames.

TommyGun
05-16-2005, 03:03 AM
VictorS,

If you can afford it, and you play a lot (which you seem to do) then yes, custom is always the way to go.

There are no real pure "custom" manufacturers. Bosworth comes the closest, and you can choose pretty much your specs but you have to have the octagonal head. $399 was the going price, and I believe that included a custom fit pallet.

Vantage is next, where you get a wide range of choices including head size, flex, grip shape/style, string pattern, length and the like. Price last I looked, with a discount from the Sports Central website (TKO1) was about $190.

Third option is to try Jay's Custom stringing in NYC. Jay does a lot of work for the pro's and may still have your frame in the shop. Jay's crew will do all the rest of the customization or matching you might want.

Fourth and least option is contacting Wilson directly. I am sure they still have a few of your frames in their personal customshop, but the shop is mainly for professional players so any order you might make will take longer (you will probably be 99 on their to do list of 100) and price may be as much as Bosworth.

The choice is yours. No matter what I recommend custom.

TommyGun
05-16-2005, 03:22 AM
My mistake, also forgot to mention RacquetMAXX in Alabama. Bob Patterson also has a great custom shop and is featured on the Tennis Channel. RacquetMaxx has a website.