PDA

View Full Version : List of flat hitting professionals?

sammyboy
05-30-2010, 08:34 PM
I just want to know on the mens side who are the flattest hitting professionals?
obviously they can do a lot of stuff and can hit any ball but someone like soderling comes to mind where he loves to hit flat!

TennisKid1
05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
del potro, berdych, soderling

thejuice
05-30-2010, 08:42 PM
It seems Federer's forehand is pretty flat.

Jonny S&V
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM

Actually one of the heaviest on tour. He CAN hit a flat forehand, as all pros can, but he does not on a regular basis (not by any means).

soderling

Also hits a decent amount of topspin, just hits so hard that people say he hits flat. His ball has a decent amount of jump on it.

RoddickAce
05-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Blake, Davydenko

vbranis
05-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Stepanek, Berdych, Hrbaty (coincidentally all Czechs :???: )

Davydenko and Soderling actually have a fair amount of spin.

Mansewerz
05-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Don't know about Soderling, but if what everyone is saying is true about his balls having a lot of spin on them, then it must be because he hits the ball of the rise so well. Davydenko hits off the rise for sure.

Bhagi Katbamna
05-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Youzny's backhand is flat. As is Gilles Simon. I saw them both up close at Cincy 2009.

CzechM8
05-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Stepanek, Berdych, Hrbaty (coincidentally all Czechs :???: )
Just the first two are Czech. Hrbaty is Slovak. :)

I don't know about Stepanek, though. Sometimes he tends to go into junkballer mode from the baseline and throws in all kinds of spin alternated with heavy flat hitting.

Btw, he should be returning to the game today at the challenger in Prostejov, Czech Republic. I hope the weather out here stays reasonable and that I get to see him play.

Rockitdog
05-31-2010, 04:07 AM
Andy Murray hits a fairly flat ball as well.

Autodidactic player
05-31-2010, 04:17 AM
... He CAN hit a flat forehand, as all pros can, but he does not on a regular basis (not by any means) ...

I'm sure Rafa CAN hit a flat forehand but I don't ever recall seeing him hit one! :)

baseline_monster
05-31-2010, 04:35 AM
David Ferrer spanks a huge flat ball

chancep2120
05-31-2010, 04:47 AM
Youzny's backhand is flat. As is Gilles Simon. I saw them both up close at Cincy 2009.

Same here man, Simon hit's very flat

OMGOAT
05-31-2010, 05:04 AM
marin cilic? not really sure

Swan Song
05-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Kimiko Date

tennismsands
05-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Kimiko Date

notice the key words 'on the mens side'

bsandy
05-31-2010, 08:16 AM
Blake

+1

I can't imagine a flatter hitter.

Swan Song
05-31-2010, 08:31 AM
notice the key words 'on the mens side'
Blake
Del Potro
Berdych
Soderling

marosmith
05-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Blake, Berdych, Stapeneck, Cilic sometimes, Del Potro, Bhagdatis and Federer can flatten it out more then almost anyone but his standard ball is very heavy.

I am referring to forehands only.

VamosRafa10
05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Blake Berdych and Delpo hit very hard and flat. And does this thread not go in pro player discussion

hawk eye
05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
hewitt hits kinda flat, but his power is not up to par with most of the others mentionded.

The Baseline
06-01-2010, 05:57 AM
almagro has a very flat forehand as well

Jonny S&V
06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
almagro has a very flat forehand as well

No, his forehand is very heavy, not flat at all...

djinni999
06-07-2010, 02:21 PM
No, his forehand is very heavy, not flat at all...

how are 'flat' and 'heavy' mutually exclusive?
i've hit against extreme topspinny balls that were ridiculously lighter than i expected.
and flat or slight underspinny balls that were very heavy.

as for players, Nalbandian tends to hit quite flat off both wings, usually DTL shots.
Djokovic sometimes
Berdych
Cilic
Del Potro
Murray
Soderling

Davydenko was mentioned, but i'd disagree.
What about Gonzalez?
Coria could hit very flat even on clay.

Also, FH and BH have to be analyzed seperately. Gasquet produces more spin off the BH. While Youzhny is quite flat. Calleri, flat on BH but more top on FH.

omewan
06-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I think a lot of people mistake the old-style topspin, such as Laver, as flat, when they have been seeing the big loopy topspin for so many years now. I watched Jimmy Connors play Borg in the US Open finals (clay) the other day. He really hit it flat. Seems to be the best way to counter the big topspin shots, if you can do it!

Lsmkenpo
06-07-2010, 06:45 PM

No, Federer's trajectory just looks flat, his forehand has a ton of topspin on it.

Lsmkenpo
06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Honestly no one on tour hits very flat by the old definition in regards to spin.

Most are hitting with modern forehands that allow a flat trajectory while adding spin with a wiper motion at contact.

Only time anymore you may see a forehand hit flat with little to no spin is on a shoulder high ball.

Anyone who goes and watches these players hit in person up close would see there is still a lot of topspin on their forehands the trajectory is just flatter because they are creating topspin in a different way.

Jonny S&V
06-08-2010, 07:17 AM
how are 'flat' and 'heavy' mutually exclusive?
i've hit against extreme topspinny balls that were ridiculously lighter than i expected.
and flat or slight underspinny balls that were very heavy.

We are talking about "heavy" in the context of flat vs spin, so therefore, Almagro hits "heavy" spin. You have read into this far more than needed.

xFullCourtTenniSx
06-08-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm sure Rafa CAN hit a flat forehand but I don't ever recall seeing him hit one! :)

I recall him hitting a 111 mph forehand at Wimbledon in 2007. If you can do that WITHOUT hitting it flat, I will consider you the king of Forehands.

In 2006 there have been remarks of him changing up his heavy topspin shots with a flat ball now and then that really got his opponents out of position and set up the point for an easy winner. But those remarks were made by the commentators, and I don't know how much weight their words hold.

LPShanet
06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Honestly no one on tour hits very flat by the old definition in regards to spin.

Most are hitting with modern forehands that allow a flat trajectory while adding spin with a wiper motion at contact.

Only time anymore you may see a forehand hit flat with little to no spin is on a shoulder high ball.

Anyone who goes and watches these players hit in person up close would see there is still a lot of topspin on their forehands the trajectory is just flatter because they are creating topspin in a different way.

+1 for this post...actually, it deserves +10. Flat is a relative term and very few players on tour (including most of those mentioned in this thread) actually hit a flat ball. Flat means no spin on it, NOT that it has a trajectory without much arc. Today's strokes are so powerful that most players are hitting just as much topspin as the high arc players of previous generations, but their net clearance/ball height is much less, which gives the impression of relative flatness. If you actually look at the RPM's they're generating, most of the so-called flat hitters are actually getting as many RPM's or more than the so-called topspin players of previous generations. Good luck finding a true flat hitter in today's top 50.

Sinner
06-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Interesting discussion... We are sticking with RPM's rather than ball-trajectory right? Anyway, it reminded me of this article...

http://wings.avkids.com/Tennis/Project/usspin-04.html

I know its outdated (as all these players are now retired), but its interesting how "spin-intensive" the game is nowadays. Even for someone like Fed, who supposedly uses an eastern grip, probably generates more top than, say, Agassi who uses a semi-western grip.

According to http://bleacherreport.com/articles/340600-does-rafael-nadal-hit-with-too-much-topspin
Fed's average RPM is 2500, while Agassi's is around 1800...

Jeewalk
06-12-2010, 08:36 PM

watch videos from 04 to 06 they definitely look flatter then they have been recently