PDA

View Full Version : Dartmouth Tennis?

meowmix
05-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Anybody here know much about Dartmouth's men's tennis team? I'm (probably) going there next year, and I'd like to see if I have any prayer at making the team, even as a reserve.

Separately, anybody know about intramural or non-d1 tennis programs at Dartmouth?

Much appreciated!

T1000
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM
There was a poster, kctennis, that was a freshmen and varsity player iirc. They are the weakest team in the ivis and looking at their recruiting record, they usually take 3 or 4 star recruits. There's on 4 star from mass going there next year. Basically, you have to be top 300 in the nation to have a chance, Ivy tennis is good

meowmix
05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Alright, so I don't have a prayer :)

Anybody know anything about intramural tennis or something along those lines?

Lakers4Life
05-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Never say never! I know a couple of guys that were able to "walk on" to Div 1 teams, here on the Left Coast.

chrisplchs
05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Alright, so I don't have a prayer :)

Anybody know anything about intramural tennis or something along those lines?

Biggest factor is that if you aren't top 300 or so.. you have to hope there is an odd number. I had a friend who was top 50 but he couldn't walk on to a top 20 team as they had even numbers.
As a walk-on, you are basically a glorified practice partner unless you prove your mettle

duusoo
06-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Who have they recruited?

Who is scheduled to come on?

kctennis1005
06-01-2010, 10:51 AM
There was a poster, kctennis, that was a freshmen and varsity player iirc. They are the weakest team in the ivis and looking at their recruiting record, they usually take 3 or 4 star recruits. There's on 4 star from mass going there next year. Basically, you have to be top 300 in the nation to have a chance, Ivy tennis is good

we have two 4-stars and a 5-star coming in next year...all are top 80 in the nation.....also we were 6th in the ivies ahead of brown and penn this year

BullDogTennis
06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Biggest factor is that if you aren't top 300 or so.. you have to hope there is an odd number. I had a friend who was top 50 but he couldn't walk on to a top 20 team as they had even numbers.
As a walk-on, you are basically a glorified practice partner unless you prove your mettle

what exactly is wrong with that? you play with people that make you better.

duusoo
06-02-2010, 08:17 AM
we have two 4-stars and a 5-star coming in next year...all are top 80 in the nation.....also we were 6th in the ivies ahead of brown and penn this yearDo you know the names of the players? Thanks.

kctennis1005
06-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Do you know the names of the players? Thanks.

http://tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=142

Fedace
06-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Anybody here know much about Dartmouth's men's tennis team? I'm (probably) going there next year, and I'd like to see if I have any prayer at making the team, even as a reserve.

Separately, anybody know about intramural or non-d1 tennis programs at Dartmouth?

Much appreciated!

Congrats, Meowmix. Darthmouth is a great program. I think the best thing to do is talk to the coach of the team. Usually they are very helpful and will let you hit with the team or tell you about the open team tryouts. Not sure how high your Junior ranking is but need to be top 300 or so in the boys 18'

jbetti
06-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I graduated a couple years ago from Syracuse, where I was college club captain, and we played them a couple times.

Dartmouth has a very good college club team. 4.0-4.5 players on their club travel team, I would guess.

Check out tennisoncampus.com for contact info.

Tennis_Crazed
06-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Much appreciated!

Congratulations on your acceptance into dartmouth - can't argue with an Ivy league education. Their tennis team though is pretty weak. Not sure if they've ever made it into the NCAAs?

Assume you can have a shot...even if you aren't a traveling player you can still be a practice player... fun being part of a team at the collegiate level regardless

cmutennis10
06-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Their coach, Chuck Kinyon, resigned at the end of 2010 season after many years and they are currently looking for a new men's head coach.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't nailed one down yet since Cornell got Tony Bresky two weeks ago.

Typically a new coach is willing to explore all options and I think some schools are required to hold open walk-on tryouts every fall. Can't hurt to try but don't get your hopes up unless you were winning matches in national tournaments as a junior. Their team is "weak" by Ivy standards, but I would think the majority of their lineup was top 100 USTA in the 18s. From a coach's point of view, you have to ask why would a coach want you as a member of his team?

I know for a fact that compared to the other Ivys, they don't bend as much when it comes to admission of athletes and that's the main reason they are always in the bottom half of the conference.

gully
06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
I guess that the stars tell all. Thank you KC. But this past weekend, one of the four star recruits lost to a high school freshman in a small draw tournament. I believe that flaws exist in the "star recruiting."

Looking at the player in question's record, you must be referring to the state qualifier event, where the recruit lost 7-5 in the third to the eventual champion.

Not really a topic I'm interested in, but this post makes it sound as if the "high school freshman" who won is some local jv player, not someone with a very impressive resume that includes a #11 national TRN ranking.

onehandbh
06-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Looking at the player in question's record, you must be referring to the state qualifier event, where the recruit lost 7-5 in the third to the eventual champion.

Not really a topic I'm interested in, but this post makes it sound as if the "high school freshman" who won is some local jv player, not someone with a very impressive resume that includes a #11 national TRN ranking.

Thanks for the update. Wow, talk about selectively using
information to support an argument. Pretty lame, on
duushoo's part.

kctennis1005
06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
It's all about the stars, top guy. He's right in there, Nelson Vick, Billy Bertha, same league right? All about the stars!

this sort of sarcasm and smack talk is really making you look bad on this forum....if u have a personal vendetta against the recruit in question please do not resort to attacking him on a public forum where he cannot defend himself...it demonstrates a severe lack of class. i dont know what he did to you, but you're making yourself look like an idiot by attacking him and his tennis ability here.

SirSweetSpot
06-28-2010, 07:23 AM
You're not planning on using your...er...Matrix if you make the team...are you?