PDA

View Full Version : With all the fuss about Stosur, what's her actual frame/string/tension?...

Ross K
06-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Just wondered!

TIA,

R.

benasp
06-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Probably pure storm tour

baseline_monster
06-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Looks like a standard storm tour, maybe even a pure control. I know a more female players use new sticks and have them modified

Ross K
06-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Interesting... ppl think it's the PST, or possibly the PC (which I believe a lot of the male pros have still been using recently a la Gonzo), but not the Pure Storm?

Any more info on frame/strings/tension, etc, post it up please folks!

R.

oluckyman
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Sam uses the Babolat Black String. She said so in her interview after her win over Serena.

vbranis
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Sam uses the Babolat Black String. She said so in her interview after her win over Serena.

Correct, it's the RPM Blast at 53 lbs.

Mdubb23
06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Pure Control Swirl "Control Series" (1998 release); Pure Storm GT paint, and yes, she uses RPM Blast at 53 lbs.

LPShanet
06-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Pure Control Swirl "Control Series" (1998 release); Pure Storm GT paint, and yes, she uses RPM Blast at 53 lbs.

Correct. Pure Control swirly.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Kind of strange that she uses a racket that was new when she was 12 years old.

LPShanet
06-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Kind of strange that she uses a racket that was new when she was 12 years old.

Not really. The majority of pros don't like to switch racquets and many still use the racquet with which they developed their games. Even less strange when you consider that almost all the players who use a flat beam racquet in the Babolat stable use that same frame. It's the all time favorite "traditional" racquet in their line.

El Diablo
06-03-2010, 03:01 PM
LP
The majority of pros may not "like to switch racquets" but Stosur clearly does; she used Prince until relatively recently. Lovely argument but irrelevant here.

big bang
06-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Correct, it's the RPM Blast at 53 lbs.
yup thats correct! watched her match live today, that girl gets some serous action on the ball:shock:

LPShanet
06-04-2010, 02:21 PM
LP
The majority of pros may not "like to switch racquets" but Stosur clearly does; she used Prince until relatively recently. Lovely argument but irrelevant here.

Yeah, fair point about her switches. She also used a Volkl before the Prince. I was making a general point, but you're right that she didn't use the PC when it was current, other than hitting it a few times. However, when she went to Babolat, she requested the PC not only because it was solid, but because she had hit with it a number of years earlier and it was familiar to her. I should have been more detailed in referring to her early familiarity with the frame. The related point is that just because a racquet it new doesn't mean it has any actual new technologies or that it's better. So it's not actually surprising that she chose to use an older model of frame, which was the issue I had responded to.

Ross K
03-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Just following up on this from a year back...

Any of you esteemed stringers, collectors, whatever got some definite info re Sam's frame?

I'm particularly interested in what custom job she might be using. Also, is it a plus size? Is she definitely stringing with Blast @ 53 lbs? Is it indeed the '98 2nd Gen Swirly PC?... and, er, anything like that.:)

Thanks very much,

R.

Torres
03-19-2011, 03:33 PM
In this months' edition of Tennis Head magazine (Vol 1 Issue 6) they have a big article on her - "Summer of Sam".

In a Q&A boxout, she actually says she's using a PSGT and strings RPM Blast between 52 and 55 depending on the surface.

She also says Babolat have added lead to her racquet "on the top of the frame and a bit on each side."

She said that she experimented alot with lead, including lead in the handle (which she didn't like) to get the right racquet balance for her game.

Not saying that she's isn't simply following the marketing line with the PSGT comment, just repeating what she's been quoted as saying.

El Diablo
03-20-2011, 05:30 AM
The fuss about Stosur seems to have died down, Ross. I expect you'll want to know Bartoli's specs today.

Ross K
03-20-2011, 01:46 PM
The fuss about Stosur seems to have died down, Ross. I expect you'll want to know Bartoli's specs today.
Er, no, there's absolutely nothing I want to know about Bartoli, cheers.:)...

Greg Raven
03-20-2011, 03:07 PM
At the BNP Paribas Open, she was stringing RPM Blast in the range of 51-53, depending on conditions.

Ross K
03-20-2011, 03:13 PM
At the BNP Paribas Open, she was stringing RPM Blast in the range of 51-53, depending on conditions.

Thank you Greg.

R.