PDA

View Full Version : Rafa's Back Check on TC

KSJ1979
06-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Hey did anyone notice that Rafa has a mouth guard in his bag? Has
anyone heard of a tennis player using one?

KSJ1979
06-01-2010, 07:19 AM
oops i meant BAG check...

JRstriker12
06-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I saw that.

I wonder if that was an actual mouth guard for sports, or more like an invisible braces type mouth piece / retainer? Might be some confusion due language differences?

I don't ever recal him wearing a mouth guard when playing tennis and that would be hard to hide - IMHO.

If it is a mouth guard, maybe he wears it while playing soccer?? Does Rafa box or do marshal arts?

JoelDali
06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
He wears it when he plays rough house horsing around games with Unkle Toni.

NickH87
06-01-2010, 08:52 AM
It looks similar to what my dad uses. Its to use when you sleep so you dont grind your teeth. I dont know why its in his tennis bag but if its something else disregard this post.

vbranis
06-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm pretty sure he uses it for protection when biting his trophies.

EKnee08
06-01-2010, 10:07 AM
It looks similar to what my dad uses. Its to use when you sleep so you dont grind your teeth. I dont know why its in his tennis bag but if its something else disregard this post.

My dentist is a tennis player and he wears a night guard to prevent the grinding of his teeth when he sleeps and a few hours dunring the day. He also wears it when he plays tennis as he grinds his teeth during the day and especially when he plays tennis -he thinks it protects his teeth and he plays better since it prevents him from tensing his mouth.
He also has said that most men who grind do so at their job as they get stressed out rather than when they sleep.

Ocean Drive
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Nadal says he grinds his teeth during points but I dunno how that's possible since he grunts every point pretty much.

Butters!
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah it's for the grinding of teeth. But I would think it's for sleeping or perhaps in the locker room to prevent anxiety. He also had an iPod in his bag, he doesn't use that in his matches either.

katdive
06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I found this article but is in Spanish:

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/13042010/47/curiosport-rafa-tendra-protector-tipo-cr9.html

I translated the best i could!

In the case of Manacor, their use is due to prescription, and who suffer from bruxism, a condition that causes discomfort in the head, ears, jaws, neck and neck. This could be the cause of pain in the wisdom teeth which prevented perform at their best during the last tournament in Miami. The other option that had Nadal was to undergo surgery, but it was a possibility that had kept him off the track for about ten days.

The requirement of the timing and the arrival of the season on clay has led to want to choose a treatment that slows the operation. Now, need to know the adaptation of Rafa Nadal to this gimmick, which sometimes reduces respiratory discomfort power produced by their use.

The Italian doctor Bonomi, an expert in the field, recognizes that Rafa Nadal suffers illness that shortens the life of the professional. A problem that the Spanish will try to over come with specific warm-up before and after tennis practice.

Rockitdog
06-01-2010, 04:44 PM
He also loves to sticks his frames in his mouth more than any other pro I've ever seen ;)

torre_dresen
06-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Clijsters plays with a mouthpad. Says it gives her more stability?!

PED
06-02-2010, 06:06 AM
He wears it when he plays rough house horsing around games with Unkle Toni.

Maybe when they're having a "pillow fight" ;)

niketennispro
06-02-2010, 04:30 PM
The shoes I believe are Nike Air Pegasus '83

niketennispro
06-02-2010, 04:30 PM
sorry wrong thread... :/