PDA

View Full Version : WTA Better Without the Top Ten?

python
02-23-2004, 10:32 AM
I watched the Antwerp semifinal between Sylvia Farina Elia and Karolina Shrem...It was entertaining with long rallies and ocassional forays to the net - exactly the type of tennis I enjoy.

The other semi between Kim Clijsters and a rather overweight other player was a predictable blowout as was the final between Farina Elia and Clijsters.

The Memphis final between Lisa Raymond and Verz Zvonareva was also a close, tension filled match. Raymond should have won, but she managed to choke it away last minute. Perhaps her current lack of fitness was a factor.

I'll be checking out more WTA matches on The Tennis Channels when they pit lesser known players against each other. They really seem to be more entertaining to watch than yet another Williams or Clijsters blowout.

Max G.
02-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Close matches are always more entertaining than blowouts... depth rocks.

aj_m2009
03-16-2005, 01:30 AM
First of all, I realize this post is over a year old but I wanted to see what people who maybe don't venture this far back into posts thought about this thread. Second, here are my thoughts:

Max, I agree. Blowouts are always less appealing than closer matches. But I don't exactly agree that the WTA would be better without the top ten. The top ten always have their close matches at one point or another. Look at IW. Davenport played a 3-setter against Shaughnessy, Sharapova played a 3-setter with Zuluaga yesterday, and Dementeiva has played 2 3-setters already so the top ten obviously have there share of tougher matches. But the lower ranked players have a lot more tougher matches than top ten, they always will, but I don't think that is a reason to say it is better without the top ten.

Max G.
03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Well, I don't really think the WTA would be better off without the top 10 either... I don't really remember what I was thinking when I typed that post, since it was about a year ago. But at the moment, the WTA top 10 is providing quite the entertainment - there are a lot of players that can beat each other, with all of the Russians floating around.