PDA

View Full Version : Perks for college players - is it right?

sureshs
06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
I often eat at this Afghan place in the food court. Run by your stereotypical poor immigrant family. Twist is the owner has a son who is huge - I mean really huge - and ranked among the top football players in the area. Right now he is a junior, but has already been offered a free ride to Cal Berkeley.

Apart from tuition, lodging, and dining paid, he is also going to be compensated for travel to home every semester. Also he is getting maid service to clean his room twice a week, and all laundry expenses paid.

All this finalized when he is a junior!

Does any academic scholarship offer stuff like this? Seems to me this is way over the top, considering how hard good students struggle to make it through college.

Or is this simply a matter of demand and supply in the marketplace?

Jonny S&V
06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I often eat at this Afghan place in the food court. Run by your stereotypical poor immigrant family. Twist is the owner has a son who is huge - I mean really huge - and ranked among the top football players in the area. Right now he is a junior, but has already been offered a free ride to Cal Berkeley.

Apart from tuition, lodging, and dining paid, he is also going to be compensated for travel to home every semester. Also he is getting maid service to clean his room twice a week, and all laundry expenses paid.

Does any academic scholarship offer stuff like this? Seems to me this is way over the top, considering how hard good students struggle to make it through college.

That's not right at all, IMO. I don't really have much to say about it, other than I agree with you that it's not right.

albino smurf
06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
If Cal Berkley has those perks I'd lovee to se what USC is dishing out.

Fedace
06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
there are lots of perks. 1/2 off the rackets, Free strings and stringing. Free Shoes from Nike. and Free tennis cloth from Nike. and You pick any girl you like on Campus and Athletic dept will hook you up.

sureshs
06-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I forgot to mention the free textbooks.

Regarding cars, it was explained to him that having one is a liability on campus as there is no parking.

Wonder what Bradley Klahn is getting now at Stanford, having won the NCAA.

sureshs
06-02-2010, 11:53 AM
The free dining is not limited to University cafetarias, but for any restaurant on campus, using a points system.

Kevin T
06-02-2010, 12:16 PM

Not sure it's right but it's pretty standard. I was by no means a blue chip recruit but did get a full ride football scholarship to a D1 school. I didn't get travel to and from home but I think that's fairly common to allow a certain number of trips per semester with expenses paid. As for maid service, it depends on the school. I had a buddy that played soccer at Davidson College, a fairly swanky private school outside of Charlotte, NC, and all students living on campus got weekly maid and laundry service. Books and food (any food spot on campus and some off that may accept meal plan cards) are included in a 'full ride' scholarship, along with room and board. If you live off-campus, you often get a monthly stipend or allowance to cover rent, utilities, food, etc.

sureshs
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Not sure it's right but it's pretty standard. I was by no means a blue chip recruit did get a full ride football scholarship to a D1 school. I didn't get travel to and from home but I think that's fairly common to allow a certain number of trips per semester with expenses paid. As for maid service, it depends on the school. I had a buddy that played soccer at Davidson College, a fairly swanky private school outside of Charlotte, NC, and all students living on campus got weekly maid and laundry service. Books and food (any food spot on campus and some off that may accept meal plan cards) are included in a 'full ride' scholarship, along with room and board. If you live off-campus, you often get a monthly stipend or allowance to cover rent, utilities, food, etc.

Wow that sounds great.

On the other hand, I know a guy who took 16 AP courses in high school, had a GPA close to 5, and got into the same school this year (Cal Berkeley). His scholarship is limited to 1/3rd of tuition fees, nothing else.

SlapShot
06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Sadly, colleges don't make money off of one standout student.

College atheletics, as much as some may argue to the contrary, is a business first and foremost, and a big one at that.

It's not right, but it's hard to get the ship moving in the other direction when a couple of star football players can make a school a lot of money.

Tina
06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Not sure it's right but it's pretty standard. I was by no means a blue chip recruit did get a full ride football scholarship to a D1 school. I didn't get travel to and from home but I think that's fairly common to allow a certain number of trips per semester with expenses paid. As for maid service, it depends on the school. I had a buddy that played soccer at Davidson College, a fairly swanky private school outside of Charlotte, NC, and all students living on campus got weekly maid and laundry service. Books and food (any food spot on campus and some off that may accept meal plan cards) are included in a 'full ride' scholarship, along with room and board. If you live off-campus, you often get a monthly stipend or allowance to cover rent, utilities, food, etc.

I agreed with that. My tennis couch has got all these. He plays tennis for a state university.

Tina
06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Wow that sounds great.

On the other hand, I know a guy who took 16 AP courses in high school, had a GPA close to 5, and got into the same school this year (Cal Berkeley). His scholarship is limited to 1/3rd of tuition fees, nothing else.

I love immigrant kids. They are the most hard working kids:)

sureshs
06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
You can argue that the money they bring in helps other students.

It is a contrived argument though.

My theory is that colleges can make education affordable if they offer only a no-frills education without all the fancy technology and teaching aids and all that. No-frills schools around the world are now producing graduates who can easily compete with those from fancy US schools, without all the "undergraduate research projects", "culturally enriching studies abroad", laptops for everyone, new "teaching paradigms", "hands-on experience" and all that nonsense.

One professor who just lectures and then minds his/her own business, one paperback cheap textbook, and a basic lab if it is needed - this is enough. The best students will find a way to shine.

sureshs
06-02-2010, 12:51 PM

The football guy is also an immigrant kid.

Tina
06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
The football guy is also an immigrant kid.

That's awesome. Is he bilingual?

sureshs
06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
That's awesome. Is he bilingual?

Don't know. It would be English and Afghanese (???) I suppose.

Tina
06-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Don't know. It would be English and Afghanese (???) I suppose.

I worked with several Afghanistan kids in graduate school. The majority of them are capable of speaking Arabic language.

sureshs
06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I worked with several Afghanistan kids in graduate school. The majority of them are capable of speaking Arabic language.

What was your area in graduate school?

Tina
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
What was your area in graduate school?

:) and you?

equinox
06-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Regarding cars, it was explained to him that having one is a liability on campus as there is no parking.

damn sure getting laid more than tommy tu.

r2473
06-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Perks for college players - is it right?

No, we should all be treated the same. And this should not just be true in college but in all of life.

I'm tired of the talented, hard working people getting all the perks. What about us lazy idiots? We have feelings too ya know.

NickC
06-02-2010, 02:52 PM
there are lots of perks. 1/2 off the rackets, Free strings and stringing. Free Shoes from Nike. and Free tennis cloth from Nike. and You pick any girl you like on Campus and Athletic dept will hook you up.

Not true at all. Did you play a collegiate sport? How many people do you know that play collegiate sport? My guess is zero, because that's not how it works at all.

counterfeit25
06-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Sadly, colleges don't make money off of one standout student.

College atheletics, as much as some may argue to the contrary, is a business first and foremost, and a big one at that.

It's not right, but it's hard to get the ship moving in the other direction when a couple of star football players can make a school a lot of money.

Good point, I never thought of that... universities are a business after-all.

counterfeit25
06-02-2010, 03:04 PM
You can argue that the money they bring in helps other students.

It is a contrived argument though.

My theory is that colleges can make education affordable if they offer only a no-frills education without all the fancy technology and teaching aids and all that. No-frills schools around the world are now producing graduates who can easily compete with those from fancy US schools, without all the "undergraduate research projects", "culturally enriching studies abroad", laptops for everyone, new "teaching paradigms", "hands-on experience" and all that nonsense.

One professor who just lectures and then minds his/her own business, one paperback cheap textbook, and a basic lab if it is needed - this is enough. The best students will find a way to shine.

Think students who completed their undergrad and/or master's abroad (e.g. China, India, Taiwan, Korea, etc.), and study in the US as a grad student for free. Sure they have to do boring TA stuff, but they don't graduate with a huge pile of student debt ;)

ollinger
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
If college athletics is a business, it is generally a loser. NCAA President Myles Brand, who died about 6 months ago, was a friend of my brother when they were both on faculty at U of Arizona (Brand left to become President at U Indiana, where he fired Bobby Knight). He noted that the vast majority of schools lose money on sports, and most of the ones we think of as successful programs still lose money, taking the money they make from football and/or basketball and using it to support all the large number of other sports that are money-losers

jigar
06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Well I want to be a college player?

Fedace
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM

Bradley is getting his name written into NCAA record books. Nothing better than that..:)

Larrysümmers
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM

.... this sort of offends me... for one, i see hard working non immigrant kids all the time, i live in a "farm" town/area. second, that is prejudice, saying because someone is immigrant, they are hard working.

himynameisNIKE
06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
:shock:
http://i45.tinypic.com/raordd.jpg
:mad:

sureshs
06-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Think students who completed their undergrad and/or master's abroad (e.g. China, India, Taiwan, Korea, etc.), and study in the US as a grad student for free. Sure they have to do boring TA stuff, but they don't graduate with a huge pile of student debt ;)

Many of those who come here studied in private schools and paid tuition for a minimum of 12 years before attending college. Also, many there cannot afford college either. So it is quite a complex situation.

sureshs
06-03-2010, 07:51 AM
If college athletics is a business, it is generally a loser. NCAA President Myles Brand, who died about 6 months ago, was a friend of my brother when they were both on faculty at U of Arizona (Brand left to become President at U Indiana, where he fired Bobby Knight). He noted that the vast majority of schools lose money on sports, and most of the ones we think of as successful programs still lose money, taking the money they make from football and/or basketball and using it to support all the large number of other sports that are money-losers

But college football and basketball bring a lot of money into the local economy, as well as provide incentives to alumni to give donations. They are tied to the identity of the community.

Who can forget Al Bundy's winning throw stance in high school? But maybe most posters here are not old enough to remember.

sureshs
06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Usually kids are not considered immigrants, their parents are.

sureshs
06-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Bradley is getting his name written into NCAA record books. Nothing better than that..:)

He is from here

equinox
06-03-2010, 09:00 AM
kudos to brad.

sureshs
06-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Does he have what it takes to go pro?

Kevin T
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
But college football and basketball bring a lot of money into the local economy, as well as provide incentives to alumni to give donations. They are tied to the identity of the community.

Who can forget Al Bundy's winning throw stance in high school? But maybe most posters here are not old enough to remember.

Absolutely. Athletics bring in a whole different animal of donor...A. one that's likely a lot more passionate about the school and it's athletic programs...and B. the rich donor who may not have even gone to the school but loves their athletic teams and donates tons of cash. I don't have any hard numbers but I would imagine the economic impact on the local motels/hotels/bars/restaurants is incredible. As an athlete, we had to schmooze with alumni/booster/fan clubs during dinners/events all the time. You would not believe the number of alumns that buy condos/rental houses in college towns for the sole purpose of crashing there on game weekends.

sureshs
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Yeah the homecoming game has all the hotels sold out.

Big business.

Mansewerz
06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
An afghan guy you say? you weren't in fremont by any chance? Who is the guy anyways? I'm afghan as well, so just curious.

sureshs
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
An afghan guy you say? you weren't in fremont by any chance? Who is the guy anyways? I'm afghan as well, so just curious.

I deliberately didn't want to say. Send me email and I will send you a link.