PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Perfect Game of the Year - almost!

West Coast Ace
06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Galarraga of the Tigers got the first 26 Indians out. Grounder to 1st - Galarraga covers and the ball beats the runner - but the ump calls the runner safe! As JMac would say, "you cannot be serious!"

johndagolfer
06-02-2010, 04:51 PM
He was so freaking robbed! Should have been the 3rd perfect game of the season.

Davis937
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I haven't seen replays yet ... I'll go home and watch Sportscenter and/or Baseball Tonight ... I'm curious to see just how close the play was ... bang bang from what I understand.

hollywood9826
06-02-2010, 07:01 PM
No not bang bang at all.

Whats funny is that the only signed baseball I own is a Jim Joyce baseball my grandfather gave to me.

I bet some tigers fan are lighting up wikipedia right now.

West Coast Ace
06-02-2010, 07:20 PM
No not bang bang at all.
Agree. When it happened I assumed he would say he didn't think the pitcher touched the bag. But in the post game presser he said he thought the runner definitely beat the throw. The other shocking thing is that Leyland (after he cooled off) and the MLB.com guys said that he's a great ump. Tubby blew it.

jamesblakefan#1
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
The kid got robbed plain and simple. No excuse for the ump to miss that call.

If this doesn't get MLB to add instant replay for safe/out calls, I don't know what will. Imagine something like this happening and deciding game 7 of the World Series - oh wait, it already did in Game 6 1985. Seriously though, if a sport as traditional as tennis has added instant replay, there's no excuse for baseball to be lagging behind like this. None.

The Baseline
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
sad to see that...would have been a dream come true for that pitcher

Davis937
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
It was painful to watch ... before seeing the replay, I thought it was a bang bang play ... it wasn't ... it wasn't a questionable call at all ... the runner was clearly out ... I feel badly for Gallaragga ... I also feel for the ump ... evidently, he has an excellent reputation and was once polled as being one of the top two umpires in MLB ... I understand he ended up apologizing to the kid (... who handled the whole situation with such grace and class ... that was impressive)!

hollywood9826
06-03-2010, 04:26 AM
It does look alot closer in real time. And if you see the angle where the pitcher catches the call there is slight bobble in the glove and he almost misses it.

I dont know how Cabrera was even close to that ball to make the catch, and the pitcher did a grerat job covering the bag. That play doesnt get made very often.

But Kudos to Jim Joyce for owning up to blowing the call. These younger umps would probably not have done that. Jim Joyce gets alot of respect from players because he is accountable for his actions. Poeple make mistakes and players understand that.

El Diablo
06-03-2010, 05:51 AM
There is solace for Galaragga in that he has now become the answer to a trivia question -- who's the guy who actually threw a perfect game but didn't get credit because of a blown last out call -- and as such may be better remembered than the 20 guys who were credited with perfect games.

SuperFly
06-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah, that was a BS call. MLB should give him the no-hitter.

downs_chris
06-03-2010, 07:38 AM
can't they appeal it somehow? and just give it to him?

jmverdugo
06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Yup, my countryman got screwed, big news down here, I mean it is something that only has been done 20 times in the history! (or 21? do not remember right now) anyway, how good is this guy!!

Jim Hendricks
06-03-2010, 07:46 AM
It was the first time I've seen a pitcher retire 28 guys in a row. Thought he handled it very well.

Yenster
06-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Honestly, if you see the replay again, you can see that Galarraga bobbled the throw from Cabrera, maybe he didn't have complete posession. In addition, it did look a lot closer from Joyce's perspective (he didn't have the best angle) than the SLO-MO replay.

Galarraga, I thought, handled the situation very profesionally. Who knows? Maybe he'll get another perfecto next time!

West Coast Ace
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
...he didn't have the best angle...That's an understatement - I know he can't come too far off the line for fear of distracting the guys throwing and catching the ball.

I still think he was out - the 'bobble' is a canard - moving around a little in the glove isn't a bobble - has to significantly shift to the point of temporarily not being held - I haven't seen that. AND that's not what he said. He said he beat the ball - ridiculous. Fatso blew it.

I don't respect fat people. And definitely don't think they should be umping MLB games - or NFL. NFL really needs to get younger, fitter guys to be able to stay up with the action. Rant over.

Having said that, what's done is done. You can't 'give it' to him.

Dedans Penthouse
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
The nay'sayers like the wimps on ESPN's Mike & Mike'll chrip (with "guest" support) about some sort of "opening Pandora's box" scenarios.....and "where does that go from there?" questions....

But the next batter harmlessly grounded out to "end the game."

Game, set match.

Give the kid his due---replay (without delaying the game a zillion additional minutes) showed:

PERFECT GAME....regardless of whatever "other" considerations might involve.....huh...?...

If Bud Selig had any kiwis, he'd simply say:

"extradinary circumstances.....my EXECUTIVE DECISION" ruling:

overturned.....perfect game.

Down the road, Selig would (for ONE time) show some true MLB "Commish" stones....imho

The "Detroit Tiger" threw a perfect game.

Well done kid-YOU THREW IT IMHO.

hollywood9826
06-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Jim Joyce has handles this situation about as good as he could so Ill give him credit for that.

And the play in real time looks alot closer than the replay shows.

But he was clearly out, everyone thought he was out even the Indians.

Now Selig comes out and says he wont reverse the decision. Which is BS. I mean it was the last batter of the game you reverse the call and its game over.