PDA

View Full Version : This is probably a pretty naive question ...

Davis937
06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Like most of you, I've been immersed watching the French Open (... go Rafa) ... evidently, the tourney does not use chalk to mark the lines ... does anyone know exactly what kind of material is used (... looks like some kind of tape) ... also ... how do they secure the damn thing to the ground ... ok ... feel free to laugh at my question now ... but ... if somebody knows, please share with me ... thanks in advance for your help!

himynameisNIKE
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
yeah its like bolted on there thats why you get a funny bounce sometimes

Davis937
06-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Come on posters ... must be at least one of you out there who can explain the line markers ... it's a serious question ...

Sentinel
06-03-2010, 01:21 AM
All i know is that it is maintained electronically. Whenever Federer hits a ball out, the line moves back so its in. And when Federer's oppo hits in, the line moves out a bit.

You'll have to watch slomo to see that happening. But they only do it on crucial points so no one suspects.

Sentinel
06-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Gooogle is your friend ..

Laying Tapes on a Clay Court

To assure straight and tight tapes, start by stretching a mason's line between each of the corner points of the doubles court. Anchor the mason's line firmly at the corners using 3 or 4 tapeline nails at each corner.
At approximately 20' centers, drive a nail outside of the mason's line, anchoring it with the nailhead.
Lay a Tape
Starting at one corner, lay out tape along the sideline to the other end of the court, running just inside the mason's line. Anchor the tape at one end with 8 to 10 nails in the holes punched in the tape. At the other corner, roll the tape 3 to 4 feet beyond the corner. Pull the tape tight and anchor with 8 to 10 nails in the pre-punched holes.
At the points where nails are holding the mason's line, nail the tape down.
Align the remainder of the tape with the mason's line, and nail at about 2' centers.
Finish nailing the entire tape using the holes punched at 3" centers.
Repeat the above procedure for all the tapes.
Don't forget the 6" center line.From: http://tennisclub.gsfc.nasa.gov/tennis.court.html

Also see our own thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137411

Try googling a bit more if these don't answer the question :-)

Sentinel
06-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Somebody must know ...

Come on posters ... must be at least one of you out there who can explain the line markers ... it's a serious question ...
Did you ask YAW ? :lol:

YAW knows everything !!!

Davis937
06-03-2010, 01:45 AM
All i know is that it is maintained electronically. Whenever Federer hits a ball out, the line moves back so its in. And when Federer's oppo hits in, the line moves out a bit.

You'll have to watch slomo to see that happening. But they only do it on crucial points so no one suspects.

Very clever, Sentinel ... you're quick (... gots to keep my eye on you)!

Davis937
06-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Gooogle is your friend ..

Laying Tapes on a Clay Court

To assure straight and tight tapes, start by stretching a mason's line between each of the corner points of the doubles court. Anchor the mason's line firmly at the corners using 3 or 4 tapeline nails at each corner.
At approximately 20' centers, drive a nail outside of the mason's line, anchoring it with the nailhead.
Lay a Tape
Starting at one corner, lay out tape along the sideline to the other end of the court, running just inside the mason's line. Anchor the tape at one end with 8 to 10 nails in the holes punched in the tape. At the other corner, roll the tape 3 to 4 feet beyond the corner. Pull the tape tight and anchor with 8 to 10 nails in the pre-punched holes.
At the points where nails are holding the mason's line, nail the tape down.
Align the remainder of the tape with the mason's line, and nail at about 2' centers.
Finish nailing the entire tape using the holes punched at 3" centers.
Repeat the above procedure for all the tapes.
Don't forget the 6" center line.From: http://tennisclub.gsfc.nasa.gov/tennis.court.html

Also see our own thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=137411

Try googling a bit more if these don't answer the question :-)

EXCELLENT!! Thanks, Sentinel ... yeah, was a pretty "trippy" link! I won't get into the Wimbledon line markings here ... *smile*

Davis937
06-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Did you ask YAW ? :lol:

YAW knows everything !!!

OK, you got me ... wtf is a YAW ... does it bite ... or can one eat it?