PDA

View Full Version : deciding on a backhand?

panache5
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Im a 3.5 player playing d3 college level and during the season my coach and I worked on a backhand slice and I BARELY have that down, im very athletic so I can run around my forehand all day I know there's alot of post concerning 1hb vs 2hb and I know all there pros and cons.

So this summer I'm going to work on A backhand, i messed around with both and I feel like I can go either way right now. My coach says do what feels best but if he were to do it over he would learn a 2hb. What do you think is best in the long run?

panache5
06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Sorry I posted in wrong forum, can a moderate move it for me? I can't find the delete button.

darthpwner
06-04-2010, 04:05 PM
The 2hb is easier and more reliable. But pick whatever feels more comfortable for you.

Fedman
06-06-2010, 05:09 PM
One hander looks cooler, and gives your game more variety.
Two hander is generally considered easier though so...

coyfish
06-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I would try both and see what feels more natural for you. I wouldn't choose a shot for any other reason in your situation.

I switched from a 2H to a 1H. The 2H just never felt right. I just had trouble crossing my left hand in front of my body.

The 1H involves more intricate technique and timing which for some makes it more difficult.

adimax8
06-06-2010, 07:11 PM
If you can learn the 1HB and use it to great effect it will be better for you in the long run. I just usually slice my backhands then drive when i have the chance to. I generally don't TS rally ball except when needed. Do whatever feels best.

coyfish
06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
If you can learn the 1HB and use it to great effect it will be better for you in the long run. I just usually slice my backhands then drive when i have the chance to. I generally don't TS rally ball except when needed. Do whatever feels best.

why would a 1hbh be better for you in the long run? The OP is talking about a normal rally shot, not a slice. Slice is its own shot.

Doubles
06-07-2010, 01:32 PM
why would a 1hbh be better for you in the long run? The OP is talking about a normal rally shot, not a slice. Slice is its own shot.

A one-hander has the potential to be better because it allows you more variety without completely televising it. For example it can be harder to tell if you're going to hit a slice, dropshot, or topspin, because you aren't taking your second hand off for the first two shots...

coyfish
06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
A one-hander has the potential to be better because it allows you more variety without completely televising it. For example it can be harder to tell if you're going to hit a slice, dropshot, or topspin, because you aren't taking your second hand off for the first two shots...

I don't agree. I use the 1hbh. I don't understand why people associate the slice with the 1hbh drive so closely. They are so different and require completely different takebacks / swings. Fed doesn't disguise his slice much at all. You can see it coming right when he takes the racquet back. He has 2 very distinct take backs.

You can disguise your dropshot just as well with a 2H as a 1H. When people decide to dropshot they do so right as they begin moving forward in the swing. This means that if you have a 1hbh you still have your 2 hands on the handle as fed does in the following clip.

Both shots have pro's and con's and it really depends on the player. If one was significantly better than the other than all the pro's would be using it. 2 handers are generally considered more consistent / stable than 1 handers which is why it is the most common choice now a days.

Example of dropshot:

Fed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RXe0OnkwRs

Djoker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMOBH9ZKfo

You see both are disguised equally as well regardless of the backhand.

Baselineg
06-08-2010, 08:47 PM
As said before go with what feels best to you, i started out with 1h then switched to 2h but it didint feel right so im back to one, couldnt be happier with it.

Once you decide you need to stick with it, it can hold you back if you keep going back and forth especially worrying about it in practice.

good luck with your choice.

Sephiroth619
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm a OHBH.

I've tried rigorously to learn and use the 2HBH but no matter how hard I try, I just cannot get it down. It's much more unreliable, to me, than my OHBH.

I don't think I was given an option. The OHBH just came more naturally to me.

Sephiroth619
06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Example of dropshot:

Fed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RXe0OnkwRs

Wow, that is just wicked.

blaby
06-09-2010, 09:51 PM
i recently switched to a ohbh just because power wasnt a big issue, plus it looks so much nicer when you hit a winner.