PDA

View Full Version : Capital One commercial on the Tennis Channel

Centered
06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Is anyone else really tired of seeing it?

It makes me want to never deal with Capital One, for anything. Seeing hideous men prance about on a beach and destroy sand castles is not something that make me want to purchase something.

FuriousYellow
06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Not half as sick as I am of Andre and Steffi's Longine's commercial which has been running for eternity. Every time I hear that sappy piano music, I have to mute the TV.

ollinger
06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Commercials running over and over again usually means a shortage of advertising revenue. Tennis Channel probably short of advertisers so they sweeten the deal for the advertisers they have by running the ads constantly.

Centered
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Commercials running over and over again usually means a shortage of advertising revenue. Tennis Channel probably short of advertisers so they sweeten the deal for the advertisers they have by running the ads constantly.
I don't blame the Tennis Channel for running it so much. I blame Capital One for making such a bad commercial. But, perhaps it did well in focus groups.

vbranis
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Not half as sick as I am of Andre and Steffi's Longine's commercial which has been running for eternity. Every time I hear that sappy piano music, I have to mute the TV.

I agree, everything about it is so cheesy and fake.

Capital One at least provides some comic relief. I know it's ridiculous, silly, and stupid, but for some reason I can't turn away from a goat on skis.:)

West Coast Ace
06-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Tennis Channel probably short of advertisers so they sweeten the deal for the advertisers they have by running the ads constantly.That is true. But Capital One also has a lot of commercials during college football games on ESPN/ABC. They are mindless and harmless - but get old after a while.

And the little green lizard with the accent is on quite a bit too. And Flo peddling Progressive Auto Insurance...

Davis937
06-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Is anyone else really tired of seeing it?

It makes me want to never deal with Capital One, for anything. Seeing hideous men prance about on a beach and destroy sand castles is not something that make me want to purchase something.

Well, the ad certainly is effective ... the main intent of this advertising is first to grab your attention and cause some type of reaction ... whether it be a positive or negative one ... in my estimation, this commercial is only topped by the "16 hour body odor commercial" (... you know, the one with the muscular black dude who yells into the camera and flexes his pecs)!!

Centered
06-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Well, the ad certainly is effective ... the main intent of this advertising is first to grab your attention and cause some type of reaction ... whether it be a positive or negative one
I'd say it's supposed to entice people to buy the product. Turning people off on the product isn't a great strategy.

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-05-2010, 04:08 AM
I don't hate it.
But...
1)Longines w/ Agassi
2) That Progressive woman

Need to go

Davis937
06-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd say it's supposed to entice people to buy the product. Turning people off on the product isn't a great strategy.

Hey Centered ... I'm curious ... which commercials, if any, do you feel are especially effective?

p.s. now I remember ... you neglected to explain what you meant: "... how ironic that I live like a cloistered nun now." (from my thread ... "The three happiest days of your life ...")

Centered
06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Centered ... I'm curious ... which commercials, if any, do you feel are especially effective?
I'm a simple person. I like simple commercials.

In the 1950s, someone would be, for instance, in a kitchen explaining why product X was better than product Y. That's what I'd rather see: someone simply and clearly explaining what makes their product worth buying.

The manipulative cartoonish nonsense that passes for advertising today doesn't make me want to buy.

Davis937
06-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm a simple person. I like simple commercials.

In the 1950s, someone would be, for instance, in a kitchen explaining why product X was better than product Y. That's what I'd rather see: someone simply and clearly explaining what makes their product worth buying.

The manipulative cartoonish nonsense that passes for advertising today doesn't make me want to buy.

Evidently, you must be in the minority, Centered ... as you know, millions of dollars are spent on focus groups and test audiences prior to the initiation of a new ad campaign ... it seems that people don't like simple anymore ... they want brash, in the face, and sexually oriented commercials ... hey, with so many of these kinds of commercials, you may have something ... maybe a simple, straight forward commercial might stand apart from the majority of ads and may actually register with a lot of the viewers ... but ... and more importantly ... I notice that you never responded to the second part of my post ... was wondering if you would care to elaborate on that remark you made on my thread ... please do, I'm interested ...

West Coast Ace
06-06-2010, 08:39 AM
The ED (aka 'stiffy') commercials have worn out their welcome too...