PDA

View Full Version : A tribute to Coach Wooden ...

Davis937
06-05-2010, 12:01 AM
What a great coach ... and person ... I didn't realize that he made the Basketball Hall of Fame as a player and as a coach ... wonder who else has done this ... I also didn't realize that he was a fellow Big Ten graduate ... thought he was a California product ...

p.s. I didn't even check to see if somebody had already started a thread ... if, yes ... my apologies!

ollinger
06-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Wooden always described himself as more of a teacher than a coach. He frequently didn't call time outs in crucial parts of big games, explaining that if the players hadn't learned how to handle those situations by now, they didn't deserve to win.

Talker
06-05-2010, 07:20 AM
One of my favorite coaches and people, his character was unassailable. :(

Davis937
06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
One of my favorite coaches and people, his character was unassailable. :(

... what a great word to use, I love it! Went to school in Evanston ... where are you located?

Talker
06-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Chicago now.

Davis937
06-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Chicago now.

... so, it looks like we have a series now ... what do the Blackhawks have to do to get back on track?

SuperFly
06-05-2010, 10:53 AM
He's up in the big basketball court in the sky now. RIP :(

Snipergene
06-07-2010, 09:49 AM
He was the greatest basketball coach of all time. His achievements as a coach will simply never be duplicated again. But the best thing about Coach Wooden is what a wonderful human being he was. He lived his life like a role model, a hero, and a national treasure.

In a radio interview a few months ago, he spoke about his wife Nell who passed away in 1985. At his home, he's left her dress on the bed the same way it was when she passed away. He remained devoted to her. Every month, he would visit her grave and write her a love letter. The most touching part of his interview was when he read a poem that a former player of his wrote for him:

Once I was afraid of dying,
terrified of ever-lying,
petrified of leaving family, home and friends.
Thoughts of absence from my dear ones,
brought a melancholy tear once,
and a dreadful fear of when life ends.
But those days are long behind me,
fear of leaving does not bind me,
and departure does not hold a single care.
Peace does comfort as I ponder,
a reunion in the yonder,
with my dearest one who is waiting for me there.

As a volunteer basketball coach at the local YMCA, I often quote things to my team from Coach Wooden. But I admired him even more for his character and values than his achievements on the court.

He is a true role model for all.

BTW, I meet him once when I was a kid. My family and I just had dinner at Lawry's Prime Rib and were waiting for our car from the valet. Coach & Mrs. Wooden were also there waiting for their car. I stood there in awe just staring at him. He saw me and walked over, said hello and introduced not himself but his Mrs. Wooden to me. I think I said hi. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

charliefedererer
06-07-2010, 11:28 AM
He is Exhibit A that nice guys, can, and do, finish first.

Davis937
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
He was the greatest basketball coach of all time. His achievements as a coach will simply never be duplicated again. But the best thing about Coach Wooden is what a wonderful human being he was. He lived his life like a role model, a hero, and a national treasure.

In a radio interview a few months ago, he spoke about his wife Nell who passed away in 1985. At his home, he's left her dress on the bed the same way it was when she passed away. He remained devoted to her. Every month, he would visit her grave and write her a love letter. The most touching part of his interview was when he read a poem that a former player of his wrote for him:

Once I was afraid of dying,
terrified of ever-lying,
petrified of leaving family, home and friends.
Thoughts of absence from my dear ones,
brought a melancholy tear once,
and a dredful fear of when life ends.
But those days are long behind me,
fear of leaving does not bind me,
and departure does not hold a single care.
Peace does comfort as I ponder,
a reunion in the yonder,
with my dearest one who is waiting for me there.

As a volunteer basketball coach at the local YMCA, I often quote things to my team from Coach Wooden. But I admired him even more for his character and values than his achievements on the court.

He is a true role model for all.

BTW, I meet him once when I was a kid. My family and I just had dinner at Lawry's Prime Rib and were waiting for our car from the valet. Coach & Mrs. Wooden were also there waiting for their car. I stood there in awe just staring at him. He saw me and and walked over, said hello and introduced not himself but his Mrs. Wooden to me. I think I said hi. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Hey sniper ... what a wonderful post ... it says a lot about Coach ... and also, a lot about you ... thanks for sharing!

Davis937
06-07-2010, 12:02 PM
He is Exhibit A that nice guys, can, and do, finish first.

You're right, charlie ... and it's reassuring to know that winners can behave with grace, intelligence, and perspective ... did you know that Coach is also in the collegiate Academic Hall of Fame ... amazing coach ... amazing man, no!

Talker
06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
... so, it looks like we have a series now ... what do the Blackhawks have to do to get back on track?

Problem solved... for now at least. :)

Davis937
06-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Problem solved... for now at least. :)

... very true ... I guess the just needed a wake up call!

CCNM
06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Rest in Peace Coach Wooden.....

Davis937
06-08-2010, 07:05 PM
OK ... granted Coach Wooden is in a league or class by himself ... of the current, active coaches ... taking into account his/her collegiate record, coaching style, demeanor, etc. ... who would you say is the top collegiate basketball coach today ... and why?

Fearsome Forehand
06-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Great career from his very humble beginnings as a poor kid from Martinsville, IN. Was a 3 time All American guard at Purdue which won the national championship (such as it was) in 1932.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1161333/10/10/index.htm (He was a stud back then.)

After a stint at Indiana State, he almost ended up at Minnesota and would have accepted their offer but a storm knocked out UMinn's phone system and Wooden had already accepted UCLA's offer and felt compelled to honor it even though he preferred Minnesota. UCLA's program was a wreck when he took over and was mediocre for many years thereafter. He didn't win a championship there until his 17th year.

He has the good fortune to hire an assistant who was a recruiting stud and recruited both Alcindor and Walton (and perhaps Walt Hazzard and Gail Goodrich). With two of the top ten centers to ever play the game, that was 6 NCAA titles guaranteed right there in the days when freshmen players could not play varsity.

Not sure I would want to live to be 99. He outlived his wife by 25 years and all of his contemporaries. I think his health had been deteriorating for some time.

Interesting and lengthy article about him in the LA Times. I imagine the obit writer had his obit ready for some time as he was 99 years old.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/05/local/la-me-john-woodenlong-20100605

Davis937
06-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Great career from his very humble beginnings as a poor kid from Martinsville, IN. Was a 3 time All American guard at Purdue which won the national championship (such as it was) in 1932.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1161333/10/10/index.htm (He was a stud back then.)

After a stint at Indiana State, he almost ended up at Minnesota and would have accepted their offer but a storm knocked out UMinn's phone system and Wooden had already accepted UCLA's offer and felt compelled to honor it even though he preferred Minnesota. UCLA's program was a wreck when he took over and was mediocre for many years thereafter. He didn't win a championship there until his 17th year.

He has the good fortune to hire an assistant who was a recruiting stud and recruited both Alcindor and Walton (and perhaps Walt Hazzard and Gail Goodrich). With two of the top ten centers to ever play the game, that was 6 NCAA titles guaranteed right there in the days when freshmen players could not play varsity.

Not sure I would want to live to be 99. He outlived his wife by 25 years and all of his contemporaries. I think his health had been deteriorating for some time.

Interesting and lengthy article about him in the LA Times. I imagine the obit writer had his obit ready for some time as he was 99 years old.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/05/local/la-me-john-woodenlong-20100605

Gail Goodrich ... arguably ... my favorite Bruin of all time ... what a sweet shooter ... my only regret ... we never had Jerry West play on a Bruins team ... does anyone remember Louis Dampier (sp) ... played I believe for Kentucky ... another sweet shooter!

Snipergene
06-09-2010, 06:31 AM
I think his health had been deteriorating for some time.

This is true. He used to go to every UCLA home game at Pauly Pavilion up until about 3-4 years ago. I think this season, he only made it to one or two games. Every time I would go to a game, I'd point out Coach out to my son and tell him another story about him. I think everyone in the UCLA community knew this was coming. We had hoped he'd make it another year so we could celebrate his 100th birthday. He has given so much to so many. RIP Coach with Mrs. Wooden. Your legacy lives on.

Snipergene
06-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Dear UCLA Alumni and Friends,

UCLA is deeply saddened by the death of Coach John Wooden on June 4. In Chancellor Gene Blockís message to the UCLA community that day, he mentioned that a public memorial was being planned to honor Coach.

At this time, we share with you the details of the memorial service. On Saturday, June 26, beginning at 11 a.m. in Pauley Pavilion, UCLA will host a public memorial service on behalf of the Wooden family to celebrate the life of Coach John Wooden.

Bruins around the world have expressed interest in attending the memorial or gathering informally with fellow Bruins to remember Coach. The memorial service, expected to last 90 minutes, will be broadcast live by Foxís Prime Ticket (serving Southern and Central California, Southern Nevada and Hawaii) and may be distributed on other networks. In addition, the service will be streamed live online at www.ucla.edu (http://www.uclalumni.net/UCLAHome?email=K6FO).

Approximately 6,000 seats in Pauley Pavilionís middle and upper levels will be available to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. The doors to Pauley Pavilion will open at 9 a.m. Per University policy, no overnight camping will be allowed and anyone on campus prior to 5 a.m. will be asked to leave. Attendees will enter through the Intramural Field from the east at Wilson Plaza between the John Wooden Center and the North Athletic Field.

For those not admitted to Pauley Pavilion, the service will be shown outdoors live on two video boards in Drake Stadium.

Updates and further details about the memorial service may be found through the Coach Wooden links on the UCLA Alumni homepage at www.UCLAlumni.net (http://www.uclalumni.net/?email=K6FO).

Thank you for helping honor the legacy of Coach Wooden.

UCLA Alumni Relations
UCLA Alumni Association (http://www.uclalumni.net/home.cfm?email=K6FO), James West Alumni Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1397.

Davis937
06-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Dear UCLA Alumni and Friends,

UCLA is deeply saddened by the death of Coach John Wooden on June 4. In Chancellor Gene Blockís message to the UCLA community that day, he mentioned that a public memorial was being planned to honor Coach.

At this time, we share with you the details of the memorial service. On Saturday, June 26, beginning at 11 a.m. in Pauley Pavilion, UCLA will host a public memorial service on behalf of the Wooden family to celebrate the life of Coach John Wooden.

Bruins around the world have expressed interest in attending the memorial or gathering informally with fellow Bruins to remember Coach. The memorial service, expected to last 90 minutes, will be broadcast live by Foxís Prime Ticket (serving Southern and Central California, Southern Nevada and Hawaii) and may be distributed on other networks. In addition, the service will be streamed live online at www.ucla.edu (http://www.uclalumni.net/UCLAHome?email=K6FO).

Approximately 6,000 seats in Pauley Pavilionís middle and upper levels will be available to the public on a first-come, first-served basis. The doors to Pauley Pavilion will open at 9 a.m. Per University policy, no overnight camping will be allowed and anyone on campus prior to 5 a.m. will be asked to leave. Attendees will enter through the Intramural Field from the east at Wilson Plaza between the John Wooden Center and the North Athletic Field.

For those not admitted to Pauley Pavilion, the service will be shown outdoors live on two video boards in Drake Stadium.

Updates and further details about the memorial service may be found through the Coach Wooden links on the UCLA Alumni homepage at www.UCLAlumni.net (http://www.uclalumni.net/?email=K6FO).

Thank you for helping honor the legacy of Coach Wooden.

UCLA Alumni Relations
UCLA Alumni Association (http://www.uclalumni.net/home.cfm?email=K6FO), James West Alumni Center, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1397.

Hey Sniper ... thanks for taking the time to post the information ... as Coach would say ... Go Lakers!