PDA

View Full Version : HTC Incredible Vs. Motorola Droid.

J011yroger
06-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Any imput? I am up for a new phone next month.

I like the physical keyboard on the Moto, but have a bad taste in my mouth from 10 years of substandard Moto phones. (Ok, the V60c was pretty sweet back in the day, but it was downhill after that.)

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a duplicate thread.

J

Tina
06-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I am using Vtech 5.8 GHZ

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Never. Ever. Trust Montorola. HTC is a nice brand, if a bit underpowered

Toxicmilk
06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
If you're looking at the motodroid, wait another month or two...two more phones from them are supposed to come out.

as for these two, i like the incredible...but you'd want to buy a better battery, which can cost another 30-50 bucks. default battery=horrible

Hot Sauce
06-06-2010, 12:23 AM
The Incredible looks super nice. Android is a great OS too.

jrod
06-06-2010, 03:57 AM
Jo11y- Both are great choices. I have the Moto Droid and it's a rock solid offering from Moto....nothing like the junk they used to produce. This one was developed under new leadership from a guy I know personally.

The HTC Incredible is also an excellent choice. The primary difference is it is noticeably lighter than Moto's and lacks the querty keyboard. From what I understand, the soft keyboard is well done though. The camera may also be better than Moto's.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, so take the best deal if the differences are not substantial for your needs.

SuperFly
06-06-2010, 12:20 PM
HTC Evo 4G. *droooool*

But any Droid is awesome.

Thomas Crown
06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
i was debatign between those very phones utnil i came across xperia x10 by sony.

it's like the anti-iphone. runs on android OS and looks much sharper than the iphone.

Polaris
06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Do you guys with the Droid have problems with usability, as in accidentally dialing numbers, or pressing keys while on call?

I'm considering switching to Verizon in October, and that is one phone on my list.

SuperFly
06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I am using Vtech 5.8 GHZ

Hahaha. We're talking about mobile phones Tina, not wireless home phones.

Here's Wired Magazine's review of the Motorola Droid (http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_droid) vs. the Incredible. (http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_htc_incredible)

Yaz
06-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Do you guys with the Droid have problems with usability, as in accidentally dialing numbers, or pressing keys while on call?

I'm considering switching to Verizon in October, and that is one phone on my list.

YES - this is my biggest issue with the Moto Droid. Buttons and icons are VERY sensitive. When I have the keyboard out I don't know how many times I've brushed the "Home" or "Back" button by accident and it's taken me out of what I was currently doing. Wish those four "buttons" were a little more tactile or at least less senstive. Similarly when I'm just handling the phone in general I often activate something on the home screen without realizing it. Annoying, but overall it's a useful device. Haven't tried the Incredible yet.

Tina
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Hahaha. We're talking about mobile phones Tina, not wireless home phones.

Here's Wired Magazine's review of the Motorola Droid (http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_droid) vs. the Incredible. (http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_htc_incredible)

I prefer I phone.:) Don't forget to let us know your dating success!!

blackdog
06-06-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm using the HTC Eris, and love everything about it. There are many settings that will allow the phone to be tucked into pockets w/o phantom dialing, and the proximity sensor works wonderfully. The battery life "issue" is not much of a concern for me. *If* I can use it just as a phone, the battery lasts a couple days. However, using the internet and other apps will of course use more battery... that's true with every phone
Until I see what the new iPhone has to offer, I'd say that the Incredible (or it's siblings on other carriers) would be the best choice for most anyone.

Polaris
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the comments, Yaz and blakdog.

J011yroger
06-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone, going to be one long month wait :)

J

SuperFly
06-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I prefer I phone.:) Don't forget to let us know your dating success!!

I got rejected. :/

Tina
06-10-2010, 09:04 AM
I got rejected. :/

How certain is that? How many times did you ask her out on a date?

Power Player
06-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Tina = Master of thread derailment.

Heard the HTC is really really good.

SuperFly
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Tina = Master of thread derailment.

Heard the HTC is really really good.

LOL.

I almost had a chance to get an HTC but by carrier was COMPLETELY SOLD OUT OF THEM IN EVERY STORE IN A 1 HOUR RADIUS. Seriously, they're so good I would have gotten one with a Windows OS. Instead I got stuck with a lame LG phone :(

LameTennisPlayer
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
is the i-phone 4G released in the US yet? Is it any good?

SuperFly
06-17-2010, 02:17 PM
is the i-phone 4G released in the US yet? Is it any good?

Still on pre-order. But I simply hate Apple products.

LameTennisPlayer
06-17-2010, 02:58 PM
I need a new phone soon also, so are these HTC 4g phones the way to go???

OrangeOne
06-17-2010, 03:32 PM
This is off-topic slightly, in that it doesn't address either of the two phones in the thread title!

I've had high-end Nokias, and I can see why the HTC & Xperia appeal. High-end Motorolas aren't that popular in Australia anymore, but they do still exist.

Earlier this year I finally made the iPhone leap, and I can't see myself ever going back. People talk in this thread of usability.... I've never seen a device that's better on this front in my life (and I studied usability as part of my uni degree).

It simply is amazing. Sure, it sacrifices some specs to others - and even the new 4g will still sacrifice some specs - but for a truly usable, amazing device, it blows me away. (And usability is part of the reason it sacrifices specs - apple focus on getting the tech that's in there right, instead of just throwing every spec at it they can).

Of course, then there are the apps. And while every other platform can claim 1000s of apps - Apple are ahead on this front by a country mile. There have been countless times that I've wondered 'is there an App for that' and there just is - be it Grand Slams, ****, etc etc. Remember too that sure, you can still web-browse most things on other phones, but apps generally save soooo much data it's amazing.

Add to this customer support: My Nokia N97 got wet. My fault, but Nokia themselves won't even repair it for money, even inside the warranty period. Dead. Gone. Ended.

My iPhone - if it goes swimming - $200 aussie and Apple will send me a replacement one, and I'll have 10 days to send them back the soaked one! Amazingly, this policy applies during warranty for most repairs that are not covered by warranty, and then after the warranty finishes for most issues too! Fantastic customer service.

In summary - I was a 10 year Nokia user, and I now can't see myself touching anything but whatever iPhone comes next...

LameTennisPlayer
06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
^^^
thx interesting points...do have any idea when the release date may be for the 4G here in aus?

Polaris
06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
This is off-topic slightly, in that it doesn't address either of the two phones in the thread title!

I've had high-end Nokias, and I can see why the HTC & Xperia appeal. High-end Motorolas aren't that popular in Australia anymore, but they do still exist.

Earlier this year I finally made the iPhone leap, and I can't see myself ever going back. People talk in this thread of usability.... I've never seen a device that's better on this front in my life (and I studied usability as part of my uni degree).

It simply is amazing. Sure, it sacrifices some specs to others - and even the new 4g will still sacrifice some specs - but for a truly usable, amazing device, it blows me away. (And usability is part of the reason it sacrifices specs - apple focus on getting the tech that's in there right, instead of just throwing every spec at it they can).

Of course, then there are the apps. And while every other platform can claim 1000s of apps - Apple are ahead on this front by a country mile. There have been countless times that I've wondered 'is there an App for that' and there just is - be it Grand Slams, ****, etc etc. Remember too that sure, you can still web-browse most things on other phones, but apps generally save soooo much data it's amazing.

Add to this customer support: My Nokia N97 got wet. My fault, but Nokia themselves won't even repair it for money, even inside the warranty period. Dead. Gone. Ended.

My iPhone - if it goes swimming - $200 aussie and Apple will send me a replacement one, and I'll have 10 days to send them back the soaked one! Amazingly, this policy applies during warranty for most repairs that are not covered by warranty, and then after the warranty finishes for most issues too! Fantastic customer service.

In summary - I was a 10 year Nokia user, and I now can't see myself touching anything but whatever iPhone comes next...

Orange, all valid points. It is indeed an excellent device. But, here in the US, it comes on AT&T, which is the most ******** telephone service in the country. I know because I've been a sucker for a long time. My Blackberry is reduced to a phone, with data service provided at the whim of AT&T - sometimes slow and sometimes not at all. It's just my luck that the best phone runs on the worst network :(.

That is the only reason I am looking at Verizon's line-up. Unfortunately, their phones leave a lot to be desired in terms of usability. None of the Android phones I've seen approaches the user experience of the iphone.

OrangeOne
06-17-2010, 04:25 PM
^^^
thx interesting points...do have any idea when the release date may be for the 4G here in aus?

I've only heard the 'late July' quote. I am happy that the new OS is available on Monday though - very much looking forward to multi-tasking (a huge upgrade) and folders (a small one, but big advance on the usability front).

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2010/06/iphone-4-due-in-australia-late-july/.

Orange, all valid points. It is indeed an excellent device. But, here in the US, it comes on AT&T, which is the most ******** telephone service in the country. I know because I've been a sucker for a long time. My Blackberry is reduced to a phone, with data service provided at the whim of AT&T - sometimes slow and sometimes not at all. It's just my luck that the best phone runs on the worst network :(.

That is the only reason I am looking at Verizon's line-up. Unfortunately, their phones leave a lot to be desired in terms of usability. None of the Android phones I've seen approaches the user experience of the iphone.

Thanks for the info... I had wondered why those in the US seemed a bit slower on the take-up for the iPhone, and a bit more negative towards it. Here you can have it on any network you choose, which is the same as for any phone. Perhaps it's one of the reasons that Australia is apparently leading the world in iPhone take-up.

Shame to hear that the BlackBerry ends up handicapped too - here they have some amazing data plans for them - even unlimited plans if you stay within the BB browser, and no other phone offers that. I had one years ago (maybe 03?) and even then the plan included unlimited email, and unlimited anything was unheard of then.

J011yroger
06-19-2010, 04:00 AM
ATT is horrible here in NY. Better in recent years, but still pales in comparison to Verizon.

I have Unlimited phone/text/internet. And it is like $80/month.

With all of the NY fees taxes etc. my bill is $97 and some change every month, no matter what.

J

rnrockz1
06-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Droid is the best smartphone in my opinion- very stable phone!

onehandbh
06-19-2010, 07:45 AM
ATT is horrible here in NY. Better in recent years, but still pales in comparison to Verizon.

With all of the NY fees taxes etc. my bill is $97 and some change every month, no matter what.

J

hmm. that seems like a gd deal. i wonder if anyone is jailbreaking the iphone
and then insuring it through a 3rd party insurer like AAA or something and
using verizon.

SuperFly
06-19-2010, 08:04 AM
I need a new phone soon also, so are these HTC 4g phones the way to go???

Depends. I've tried out 4G on a Droid in a Sprint store (even though I'm on US Cell) and it's REALLY fast. But Some cities aren't yet supported. Once Sprint gets 4G everywhere, you should definitely look at it.

BullDogTennis
06-19-2010, 08:26 AM

J

i actually think the iphone is cheaper...but like you said, ATT service is bad there, so its deff not worth it.

skip1969
06-19-2010, 09:01 AM
i'm taking a hard look at the incredible, as well. i am on verizon and due for an upgrade.

i was looking into at&t last year cos my mom doesn't live in the mainland u.s. and every time i go see her, my phone goes roaming and my bill is HUGE. but everyone i know has an iphone, and while they are on them constantly and all they do is rave about this app and that app (which, of course, gets so so old that i have to stop myself from rolling my eyes every two seconds) . . . more often than not, they can't make a phone call to save their lives, which to me is the whole point of carrying a phone in your pocket in the first place. that's like obsessing over a tennis player who can't keep a forehand in play. what's the point?

so i am staying with verizon and am looking into getting a handset with the andriod os cos i've played with it a little and i like it.

J011yroger
01-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Friendly bump, I never upgraded, but am going to this week since Verizon sent me an extra $100 credit.

Any additional info?

J

Polaris
01-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Well, since I last posted in this thread, my old plan ended and I've gone from an AT&T Blackberry Curve to a Verizon Motorola DroidX. The phone is fast, has a gorgeous screen, a very reliable connection, and all the android range of apps.

It is a long way to come in only 6 months, when I was sure that the iphone was the best smartphone on the market. I don't think that is the case anymore, even if the iphone became available on Verizon. Overall, there is little or no gap between iphone and the latest android phones, and the windows phone 7's are also pretty good. Multitasking is much better on android and windows phones, compared to the iphone which has a strangely impoverished hack to give the illusion of multitasking. However, the display on the iphone is still supreme.

BTW, jolly, if you have never tried swype, you are in for a pleasant surprise. That thing absolutely rocks. While android still lags a little bit behind the iphone for seamless usability, swype is one of the many things that makes an android phone much more fun to use. No more writing little one-liner emails and making errors and cursing the auto-correct function: After being introduced to swype, whenever I am waiting in a line or on the subway, I have written everything from full-blown blog posts to portions of research papers on my phone.

*breaksracquet
01-01-2011, 04:41 PM
who is your provider? I am through Verizon and have the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate. I absolutely love this phone. It is powered by Android technology. So if you are familiar with using an android, then you should be fine using this. Highly recommended by the people at Best Buy when I bought mine and my wife's phone. Has 2x longer battery life than the HTC brand.

tennisnoob3
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Friendly bump, I never upgraded, but am going to this week since Verizon sent me an extra $100 credit.

Any additional info?

J

wait a week or two, theres some techy phone conference where every company will be announcing new phones for all carriers.

its on january 9th.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Looking-forward-to-CES-2011_id15567

frunk
01-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm a cell phone geek, and I used to write for a phone site, so I kinda know what I'm talking about.
First, wait a week or two for CES to be over. CES (consumer electronic show) will unveil products that blow the current ones out of the water. Especially verizon.

After CES, get the HTC Thunderbolt. Best phone in North America.