PDA

View Full Version : Nestor and Zimonjic: Why the old frames/PJs ?

MAXXply
06-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Does Wilson and HEAD think so little of doubles that they couldn't be bothered updating their frames or paintjobs for Nestor and Zimonjic ? Do they think doubles is unworthy of these companies support ?
Nestor must be down to his last KSix-One frame or does he have a stash at home ?
EDIT: Leander Paes' old Pure Drive also, for that matter.

Fedace
06-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Head just want to get rid of those old models that is still in the market..... they figure those old fart doubles players will see them and go clean up the shelves.....lol

vsbabolat
06-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Does Wilson and HEAD think so little of doubles that they couldn't be bothered updating their frames or paintjobs for Nestor and Zimonjic ? Do they think doubles is unworthy of these companies support ?
Nestor must be down to his last KSix-One frame or does he have a stash at home ?
EDIT: Leander Paes' old Pure Drive also, for that matter.

In the case of Zimonjic he no longer has a HEAD Stencil on his string. He did have the new YouTek Radical MP cosmetics on his PT57A at the end of last year and at the 2010 Australian Open. But has is Australia he has MG Radical MP PJ
2010 Australian Open
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/zimonijic_2010_Aus_Open.jpg

2009 London Masters
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/zimonijic_2010_London.jpg

Doubles
06-05-2010, 10:54 AM
However, if my knowledge is correct, he wass back to his old MicroGel PJ during Roland Garros this year...

lucasschneider
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Some players are so mental they probably can't switch PJ's.
Look at Chiudinelli, he is still using N Code

vsbabolat
06-05-2010, 11:20 AM
However, if my knowledge is correct, he wass back to his old MicroGel PJ during Roland Garros this year...

That's right he has using the MG Radical MP pj on his PT57A.

Doubles
06-05-2010, 11:26 AM
That's right he has using the MG Radical MP pj on his PT57A.

Why switch back then? It's not the the paint will make it play any different...

Don't Let It Bounce
06-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I've always assumed players in this position had a leftover stash of what they liked (PT57A's in this case) when PJ's switched and they got new PJ's of he same racquet. Later, when the contractual obligation runs out, they go into their personal stash without regard for PJ. Is there another explanation besides that and attachment to a particular PJ*?

*which, odd as it sounds, has happened at least once (apparently Wilson wanted to paint Sampras's racquets in the mid-90's, and he wouldn't go along)

vsbabolat
06-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I've always assumed players in this position had a leftover stash of what they liked (PT57A's in this case) when PJ's switched and they got new PJ's of he same racquet. Later, when the contractual obligation runs out, they go into their personal stash without regard for PJ. Is there another explanation besides that and attachment to a particular PJ*?

*which, odd as it sounds, has happened at least once (apparently Wilson wanted to paint Sampras's racquets in the mid-90's, and he wouldn't go along)

Sampars did at the 1991 French Open. He had the paint job of the Pro Staff 6.0 dual taper beam on the Original Pro Staff Midsize for that Tournament. Then went back to the Original Pro Staff Midsize with no paint job. But yes he did not have a paint job after that much to the annoyance of Wilson.

lcstringer
06-09-2010, 04:58 PM
It is very hard for players to switch to a new frame, because the "feel" is different. I'm sure everyone knows this. Just in case, remember Henman and his "paint" problems? He never changed to the last Slaz made for him because of the paint. Now imagine changing the actual frame.
Nenad is still playing with his old, now beaten up sticks. Hanescu is in the same boat, 5 sticks left. And so on and so on. Sooner or later they'll have to change. If I was these guys, I would have them make 1000 sticks (or however I would need) of the which racquet I like and have them for the duration of my career.

marosmith
06-09-2010, 06:37 PM
It is very hard for players to switch to a new frame, because the "feel" is different. I'm sure everyone knows this. Just in case, remember Henman and his "paint" problems? He never changed to the last Slaz made for him because of the paint. Now imagine changing the actual frame.
Nenad is still playing with his old, now beaten up sticks. Hanescu is in the same boat, 5 sticks left. And so on and so on. Sooner or later they'll have to change. If I was these guys, I would have them make 1000 sticks (or however I would need) of the which racquet I like and have them for the duration of my career.

wrong, paint changes nothing and both frames are pt57a no change from microgel paint to youtek...

Rob_C
06-09-2010, 07:41 PM
wrong, paint changes nothing and both frames are pt57a no change from microgel paint to youtek...

Some players believe it does, I think thats the reason Murray stuck with the iPrestige PJ for so long.

lcstringer
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM

Actually you are wrong. Different colours make the frame stiffer than it should be. Nenad is still using the old paint job, Hanescu using one of old paint jobs for a radical.
The same applies to strings. A natural colour string will be softer than if you add the colour.

marosmith
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Some players believe it does, I think thats the reason Murray stuck with the iPrestige PJ for so long.

You are correct, some think it does. I was responding to the person who thought the youtek and microgel pt57a were somehow different rackets.