PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of the pingy feeling in racquets

snowpuppy
05-16-2005, 08:24 PM
I've finally got the goods to mod up my 300g, courtisy of TW, so i got to it. So I started off with applying a heat strink sleeve to the handle (i bought mine a grip smaller cuz it was on discount and had no other size). I followed that with 5 grams of folded up lead tape and an additional 2 grams on 3 and the 6. I immediately head to the local wall to test the results. Much better than the 10.8 oz piece of crap that it was. But I notice that there was still a pingy feeling to it. Everytime the ball meets the strings the string will vibrate like guitar strings and shock will go all the way down to the handle. Fine. I proceed by taking out the folded lead tape, dump about 3/8 oz worth of fishing weight, and added 2 grams to 12 o'clock. And i still feel it!

by now the racquet must be at least 12oz. But still not where i want it to be. How can i get rid of the vibration? I odn't feel this with my diablo mid and pk ki15pse. The string that came with it is prince premier softflex 16. Is it the string's fault? or should i just give up...

Help!!

lidoazndiabloboi
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
do you use a shock absorber? try tying a rubber band on your strings. it worked for me.

Redflea
05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
I don't think you mean pingy...what you describe is harshness, and that is a weakness in the 300G. Though I liked it very much and considered purchasing one, that is one of the reasons I didn't...harsh on hits when you aren't pretty much spot on. Sweet as can be when you nail it, but not nice otherwise. I don't know if you're going to be able to resolve it to your satisfaction entirely.

You might want to try a softer multifilament string, and/or try a lower tension. You could also play around w/virbration dampeners (I like the Gamma "worm-like" dampeners) and cushioned overgrips (e.g., Yonex Grap).

Fuzzless
05-16-2005, 08:36 PM
three things

describe the "pingy" feeling. does it feel like the racquet is twisting in your hand, or is it just a sound the strings make or what?

you said you added weight at 3 and 6? usually people add the same amount of weight at 3 and 9 to keep the racquet balanced (i assume)

you don't mention adding any weight to the handle to keep the racquet's balance head light. try doing that so that most of the weight is near the handle rather than the head. this balance is typically thought of as more arm friendly. you can use a balance board to measure the balance point.

NoBadMojo
05-16-2005, 08:52 PM
a vibe damp turns most racquet systems from pingers into thudders..this frame seems to be very string picky like the X1 and can play worse w. expensive strings than it does w. cheaper..tres wierd....a string that plays very well in this frame (for whatever reason) is the cheap Gamma Synthetic Gut.

snowpuppy
05-16-2005, 09:02 PM
sorry for being vauge. The racquet is currently weighted by:

head:
2 gram at 12
2 gram at 3
2 gram at 9 ( yea i guess i meant the upside down 6)

tail weighted:
about 14 grams by heat strink sleve
and about 3/8 oz of fishing weight inside the trap door.

i guess you can call it tinny also. the feel ing is not harsh. just a lot of shock. not really the type of shock that knocks the racquet back, but they type of shock like if you held on the an electric razor.

bcaz
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Wow, it sounds like you hate this racquet. Try another one ...

ffrpg
05-16-2005, 09:55 PM
i guess you can call it tinny also. the feel ing is not harsh. just a lot of shock. not really the type of shock that knocks the racquet back, but they type of shock like if you held on the an electric razor.

Sounds like you are dealing with shocks from mishits.

Fuzzless
05-16-2005, 10:12 PM
if you're simply mishitting, then there was no need for this topic ;) but if you're contacting the ball cleanly, i'd do one or more of the following:

try the string nobadmojo suggested
play around with vibration dampeners
if it's reasonable, add even more weight (keeping a head light balance as always)

if everything i suggested and every combination of them fails, consider getting a new racquet. unless you can just ignore the "pinginess" and it isn't causing you arm problems.

although i must advise that i am no expert

lude popper
05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
how I erased my 300g ping.
ashway 18g kevlar (crossfire) mains at 60lbs, Toalson Silencer (or any soft synthetic) crosses at 55lbs, gamma shock buster II.

don't let the kevlar scare you, this particular string produces the deepest thud in the business.

this won't change the shock, but it will eliminate the VERY NOTICEABLE low-frequency string vibration.

Gaines Hillix
05-17-2005, 11:27 AM
You also might want to try one of the Head shock stop butt caps and a cushioned replacement grip.

marialover
05-17-2005, 01:40 PM
The suggestions by others are only going to make subtle changes. Stuff the entire length of the handle with cotton balls, it will add another ounce to the racquet and greatly reduce or completely eliminate the ping.

snowpuppy
05-17-2005, 06:33 PM
and the winner is.... the rubber band. haha, well i would really call it a winner but it did mute much of the vibration. with so much modification on the racquet, it hardly feels like the 10.8 oz stick that i begin with. Still I've learn a lot from the experence. While i am happier with the new setting, it is still not quite there yet in my mind. I guess i am just being picky or greedy for a newer racquet. nevertheless, my arm felt really tired and i would like the racquet the plow through the ball a lil more. I guess the next thing to try would be the string...

splink779
05-17-2005, 07:31 PM
I found the 300g had a lot of ping when I used it. Even with a vibe dampener on it.

Redflea
05-17-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't think it's gonna plow like you want it to, nor be as solid/non-pingy as you'd really like. That was my experience anyway...I really, really wanted to like the racquet, but even w/lead, dampeners, cushion overgrips, etc., I couldn't get what I wanted out of it.

AJK1
05-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Why on earth didn't you try the racquet out before you bought it? Seems like a lot of messing around. Racquets are funny, you could probably pick up another racquet brand or model, and find that it is perfect for you, without all the mods. I personally would sell it and demo others till you find the right one. You will never be happy with the Dunlop, and it will affect your game.

PrestigeClassic
05-18-2005, 03:34 AM
You make the frame with more dense carbon and put foam in it.

snowpuppy
05-18-2005, 03:51 AM
sure i'll sell it. 30 bucks, serious, anyone want? haha. I know what you are talking about ajk1, u can call me a bargain ***** since i got it cheap just to try it out. Before i bought it i read the TW review and it was a BEST SELLER! Go figure. From this thread i realize that nobody really likes this racquet. I guess it sells, but then it is trash from then on. So how about it guys 30 bucks and i'll even throw in the gamma syn gut that NoBadMojo say will make this racquet sweet.

AJK1
05-18-2005, 05:35 AM
As they say, one man's best review winner is another man's lemon. Never, ever just rely on what reviewer's say, it's usually biased for a marketing reason. Could you imagine if the new FP Head racquets bombed in the reviews? They wouldn't sell, so obviously the reviews will be favourable. Always get the racquet in your hand and try them all out. A little time spent demo-ing is well worth it's weight in trophies!