PDA

View Full Version : do you think Nadal will go to Head?

esm
06-06-2010, 05:42 AM
:mrgreen:

just saw on Eurosports channel showing Rafa hitting a few balls before the final match today and Uncle Toni was in and out of the frame holding a Head Youtek (yellow and black) racquet with Head stencil on it.....

thought Uncle Toni used to use a Bab of some sort when "hitting" with Rafa....

what do you think? :confused:

is there something in the making? :rolleyes:

(havent done any search... so dont know if this topic is already in discussion...) :oops:

baseline_monster
06-06-2010, 05:48 AM
I would bet my house on this being very untrue. Nadal signed a 10 year deal with Babolat in 07 and isnt going anywhere, he loves Babolat

esm
06-06-2010, 05:57 AM
I would bet my house on this being very untrue. Nadal signed a 10 year deal with Babolat in 07 and isnt going anywhere, he loves Babolat

untrue on which part?

the Nadal maybe going to Head part or Uncle Toni was seen holding a Head racquet during Rafa's practice session on TV?

Marcus
06-06-2010, 06:05 AM
..... as he's changed his game / strings recently, why not change the stick too...

I bet Head would like him given Murrey & Djoker are big failures !!

baseline_monster
06-06-2010, 07:48 AM
His uncle was using something... Thats like saying Agassi could have been changing if Brad Gilbert was using a different racket. As for Murray being a failure..... stop talking crap, he has been in 2 GS finals and won various masters. Djokovic may not be doing much, but his line of rackets sell well, and yes I do know as I have worked in one of the top UK tennis shops and seen the sales. The main way Nadal has changed his game is by playing less and conditioning him self better due to his knees. Nadal is currently in another French final and 2-0 sets up, he is hardly struggling with his racket and strings. Some times people need to stop listening to what commentators say.

esm
06-06-2010, 08:05 AM
His uncle was using something... Thats like saying Agassi could have been changing if Brad Gilbert was using a different racket. As for Murray being a failure..... stop talking crap, he has been in 2 GS finals and won various masters. Djokovic may not be doing much, but his line of rackets sell well, and yes I do know as I have worked in one of the top UK tennis shops and seen the sales. The main way Nadal has changed his game is by playing less and conditioning him self better due to his knees. Nadal is currently in another French final and 2-0 sets up, he is hardly struggling with his racket and strings. Some times people need to stop listening to what commentators say.

wow... did you realise your post infomation is pretty much a common knowledge?

the commentators did not say anything about Uncle Toni, its what i saw on the TV today. nothing more, nothing less.

im sure most of us know that Uncle Toni has been "pigg-backing" on Nadal in terms of equipment use - Nike, Bab, and the most recent the RM watches....

never say never.... there is always a way of getting out of any contract.

Agassi/Gilbert vs. Nadal/Uncle Toni racquet ues does not mean much imo.

Gilbert was a pro.

baseline_monster
06-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Fair do's. Im pretty sure if I was uncle Tony I would be using all the free stuff I could get. The fact remains he is playing very well and the only thing he has changed in years is the strings for something better. Hw will not be changing brands, I doubt Head could afford him when they have Nole and Murray on huge contracts. The Gilbert thing was just an example and Gilbert being a player is true.

esm
06-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Fair do's. Im pretty sure if I was uncle Tony I would be using all the free stuff I could get. The fact remains he is playing very well and the only thing he has changed in years is the strings for something better. Hw will not be changing brands, I doubt Head could afford him when they have Nole and Murray on huge contracts. The Gilbert thing was just an example and Gilbert being a player is true.

i know what you are saying... it make sense!

i have started this thread simply becasue i saw what i mentioned on the TV today (on the day of Rafa's RG final..).

i believe in" why fix it if it aint broken"..... but who knows...

baseline_monster
06-06-2010, 08:25 AM
He is looking amazing right now!

esm
06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
He is looking amazing right now!

come on Rafa!!!!

one more game to go!!!!!! :)

Babolast
06-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Nadal is signed with Babolat until 2017. He aint going no where.

dr325i
06-06-2010, 10:48 AM
..... as he's changed his game / strings recently, why not change the stick too...

I bet Head would like him given Murrey & Djoker are big failures !!

Ahm, How are Murray and Djokovic "big failures"???
Djokovic's been the top 4 player for 3+ years straight now, and will finish this year in the top 3 again.
Murray has been in the top 10 for some time and going nowhere soon...

Since (I am very sure) you are not in the top 4 in the world in ANY discipline, can we assume that you are a TOTAL failure in your life? I am sure someone (your parents, work, etc) has invested into you (just like Head has invested into Murray and Djokovic)...

AlinPopServes
06-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Can't imagine Nadal with anything but that fab yellow frame

adimax8
06-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Ahm, How are Murray and Djokovic "big failures"???
Djokovic's been the top 4 player for 3+ years straight now, and will finish this year in the top 3 again.
Murray has been in the top 10 for some time and going nowhere soon...

Since (I am very sure) you are not in the top 4 in the world in ANY discipline, can we assume that you are a TOTAL failure in your life? I am sure someone (your parents, work, etc) has invested into you (just like Head has invested into Murray and Djokovic)...

Spot on. Djokovic may fail a bit when it comes to the big moments or finals, but he has done extremely well to stay in the top 4 for 3 years.

hcb0804
06-06-2010, 06:31 PM
:mrgreen:

just saw on Eurosports channel showing Rafa hitting a few balls before the final match today and Uncle Toni was in and out of the frame holding a Head Youtek (yellow and black) racquet with Head stencil on it.....

thought Uncle Toni used to use a Bab of some sort when "hitting" with Rafa....

what do you think? :confused:

is there something in the making? :rolleyes:

(havent done any search... so dont know if this topic is already in discussion...) :oops:

Uh......No

blaby
06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
the day nadal switches to head is the day federer switches to babolat

The Baseline
06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
the day nadal switches to head is the day federer switches to babolat

speaking of switches novak djokovic went from the Head Youtek Speed Pro 98 to the Head Youtek Speed 100 and im thinking he regrets it. Maybe Novak is thinking--i should have stayed with Wilson and played with the K Blade 93.

dr325i
06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
speaking of switches novak djokovic went from the Head Youtek Speed Pro 98 to the Head Youtek Speed 100 and im thinking he regrets it. Maybe Novak is thinking--i should have stayed with Wilson and played with the K Blade 93.

ahmm...no!

Novak went from the Wilson H22 (never played with the KBT 93), then he switched to the custom molded (similar to LM Radical) Head and never switched from there. From the beginning his Head Speed said Pro on it, and still does, and it was 98 and still is...

vsbabolat
06-06-2010, 07:22 PM

Too funny..........................

the mania
06-06-2010, 07:25 PM
wow... did you realise your post infomation is pretty much a common knowledge?

the commentators did not say anything about Uncle Toni, its what i saw on the TV today. nothing more, nothing less.

im sure most of us know that Uncle Toni has been "pigg-backing" on Nadal in terms of equipment use - Nike, Bab, and the most recent the RM watches....

never say never.... there is always a way of getting out of any contract.

Agassi/Gilbert vs. Nadal/Uncle Toni racquet ues does not mean much imo.

Gilbert was a pro.

Murray is a total bust. "is this thing still on" total trash

JW10S
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
From what I've heard the HEAD Extreme was initially designed for Nadal when his contract was up for grabs a few years ago. This is second hand info but it did come from a very well connected source. HEAD came close to signing him then but when Nadal resigned with Babolat Ljubicic became the poster boy for the Extremes. Maybe Uncle Tony likes the Extremes and thus uses them. Not all coach's contracts are tied into those with whom they coach.

The Baseline
06-06-2010, 07:39 PM
ahmm...no!

Novak went from the Wilson H22 (never played with the KBT 93), then he switched to the custom molded (similar to LM Radical) Head and never switched from there. From the beginning his Head Speed said Pro on it, and still does, and it was 98 and still is...

no no he uses the 100 square inch Head Speed 18 by 20 he switched.

The Baseline
06-06-2010, 07:41 PM
From what I've heard the HEAD Extreme was initially designed for Nadal when his contract was up for grabs a few years ago. This is second hand info but it did come from a very well connected source. HEAD came close to signing him then but when Nadal resigned with Babolat Ljubicic became the poster boy for the Extremes. Maybe Uncle Tony likes the Extremes and thus uses them. Not all coach's contracts are tied into those with whom they coach.

racquets are give and take -all of these companies can make any kind of mold at any kind of construction babolat just came up with more money, nadal then signed.

vsbabolat
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
no no he uses the 100 square inch Head Speed 18 by 20 he switched.

No he did not. He did not switch. He is using a Radical 630 MOLD with a 18x20 string pattern with his own custom layup since he signed with HEAD. Think ti,i. or MG Radical MP Mold.

This photo is by Viktorkwan Jan. 2009 http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2996403#post2996403
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2009_Aus_warm-up_1.jpg
I hope you can see the 18x20 string pattern.

2009 U.S. Open
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2009_US_Open_3.jpg

2010 Australian Open
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2010_Aus_Open_5.jpg

2010 French Open
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/Djokovic_2010_Roland_Garros_1.jpg

They are all the same racquet.

The Baseline
06-06-2010, 08:25 PM
VSBABOLAT-notice it says Speed PRO on the side of the racquet which is a 98 square inch frame.. The regular SPEED 18 by 20 is a 100 square inch frame

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Speed_18x20/descpageRCHEAD-HYTS18.html#spec

see they messed up the advertising some how and djokovic should have only the SPEED painted on his frame

vsbabolat
06-06-2010, 08:26 PM
VSBABOLAT-notice it says Speed PRO on the side of the racquet which is a 98 square inch frame.. The regular SPEED 18 by 20 is a 100 square inch frame

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Speed_18x20/descpageRCHEAD-HYTS18.html#spec

see they messed up the advertising some how and djokovic should have only the SPEED painted on his frame

You are hopeless....................

Good luck!

JW10S
06-06-2010, 08:38 PM
racquets are give and take -all of these companies can make any kind of mold at any kind of construction babolat just came up with more money, nadal then signed.I know that. My point was that HEAD was in the running a few years ago. The OP noticed that Nadal's coach was using a 'black and yellow racquet with a HEAD stencil'. Rafa took the money, Uncle Tony kept the racquet.

Sentinel
06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Given how poorly Nadal played, and how superbly Soderling played, yes, he should move to Head immediately if he wishes to save his career.

Nadal should get the same racket and strings as Murray, as well as the same serve, backhand and forehand as Murray.

baseline_monster
06-06-2010, 11:56 PM

All that happened was that a few places were telling people that Djokovic had changed to the 18/20 as people could tell, in reality he has to use the pro pj as it has his signature on it. I bet his actual frame would be awesome to hit with

esm
06-07-2010, 02:51 AM

interesting info... thanks for sharing :)

tennistiger
06-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Agassi signed lifetime with Nike - and what`s now

dr325i
06-07-2010, 05:15 AM
You are hopeless....................

Good luck!

Another Fedace in the making...

Sentinel
06-07-2010, 06:13 AM
No, I don't think Nadal;s victory will go to his head.

Sentinel
06-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Another Fedace in the making...
:)
Impossible.

Fedace's are born, not made !

blaby
06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
:)
Impossible.

Fedace's are born, not made !

that is so true

Jura-SB
06-08-2010, 07:30 AM

It's all marketing and only thing that big companies like Head,Babolat etc. want is to sell their stuff.
Player play with rackets for years and are not changing it from season to season...where would it get them?!
Sooo...Djokovic is using old racket in new paintjob, 98 sq., it says pro....but it isn't neither SPEED PRO OR SPEED MP!!!

LPShanet
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM

I think the important thing is that YOU should notice that none of the frames you mention have even vaguely the same headshape as the frame Djokovic is using, which has exactly the shape of the 630 Radical series, as VSBabolat pointed out. Djokovic hasn't used any Speed frame ever, despite what the paintjob may make you think. Look at any pic archive that shows the head shape flat on and you'll see none of them have the egg-like configuration of the Speed.

LPShanet
06-08-2010, 04:26 PM

An interesting story, but not correct. The Extreme was designed by Head as a competitor for the Pure Drive. It was designed long after Rafa had already switched from the PD to the Aeropro, and was intended to go head to head with the PD not the APD. If they were trying to get Rafa, they would have had to put together an Aerorpro-like racquet, just as Wilson did with the Kobra.

jigar
06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Lets wait and watch..

TennisD
06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
An interesting story, but not correct. The Extreme was designed by Head as a competitor for the Pure Drive. It was designed long after Rafa had already switched from the PD to the Aeropro, and was intended to go head to head with the PD not the APD. If they were trying to get Rafa, they would have had to put together an Aerorpro-like racquet, just as Wilson did with the Kobra.
You're both close, but still slightly incorrect. True, the Extreme was designed as a PD competitor, and true, they were trying to get Rafa, but the details are slightly off in both stories. The story, as I was told directly from a Head rep close to the case, is that Head made a batch of Extremes up for Rafa with specs similar to those of his APDs (something that manufacturers often do for players when they're fishing for new faces), Rafa absolutely loved the racquets, and was heavily considering switching, but in the end decided not to because he was afraid it would somehow throw off his game. Makes sense, I guess, he's a pretty superstitious guy and didn't want to throw anything new into the mix. Obviously the Head team was kind of bummed, especially after the initial positive reaction he had, but life goes on.

LPShanet
06-08-2010, 07:16 PM
You're both close, but still slightly incorrect. True, the Extreme was designed as a PD competitor, and true, they were trying to get Rafa, but the details are slightly off in both stories. The story, as I was told directly from a Head rep close to the case, is that Head made a batch of Extremes up for Rafa with specs similar to those of his APDs (something that manufacturers often do for players when they're fishing for new faces), Rafa absolutely loved the racquets, and was heavily considering switching, but in the end decided not to because he was afraid it would somehow throw off his game. Makes sense, I guess, he's a pretty superstitious guy and didn't want to throw anything new into the mix. Obviously the Head team was kind of bummed, especially after the initial positive reaction he had, but life goes on.

It's an interesting story, but I'd definitely take anything that has a sales rep as the source of info, with a grain of salt. They're famous for both propagating falsehoods, and being kept out of the loop on many inner workings at racquet companies. After all, these are the same folks that will tell you that Rafa is playing with a APDGT or that Djokovic uses a Speed Pro. A story like the one you described is an excellent sales tool.

samurai13
06-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I would be sooooooooooooo happy if he went to the extreme!!!!

JW10S
06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
You're both close, but still slightly incorrect. True, the Extreme was designed as a PD competitor, and true, they were trying to get Rafa, but the details are slightly off in both stories. The story, as I was told directly from a Head rep close to the case, is that Head made a batch of Extremes up for Rafa with specs similar to those of his APDs (something that manufacturers often do for players when they're fishing for new faces), Rafa absolutely loved the racquets, and was heavily considering switching, but in the end decided not to because he was afraid it would somehow throw off his game. Makes sense, I guess, he's a pretty superstitious guy and didn't want to throw anything new into the mix. Obviously the Head team was kind of bummed, especially after the initial positive reaction he had, but life goes on.Yes, that is what I had heard--the original Extremes designed for Rafa were different than the ones that were ultimately produced for Ljubicic. HEAD came close to getting Rafa when his contract was up for grabs--I think the 10 year deal Babolat offered him was the clincher. And my source is not a HEAD rep but an agent.

nethawkwenatchee
06-08-2010, 09:17 PM
It's an interesting story, but I'd definitely take anything that has a sales rep as the source of info, with a grain of salt. They're famous for both propagating falsehoods, and being kept out of the loop on many inner workings at racquet companies. After all, these are the same folks that will tell you that Rafa is playing with a APDGT or that Djokovic uses a Speed Pro. A story like the one you described is an excellent sales tool.

Truth! I asked our local Head sales rep once about acquiring some PT57's and got a glazed eye look. These guys have one job: selling high production frames. They are neither privy too nor conscience of the inner workings of player stock that comes from Austria/China.

TennisD
06-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I never said anything about sales :p
The rep in question was actually a player rep, and the story came about when I tested out those same Extremes. Didn't like them and decided to stick with my Prestiges...
But yes, I do agree that sales reps only know what they're talking about half the time, and even most of that half is usually made up anyway.

LPShanet
06-21-2010, 02:31 PM
The rep in question was actually a player rep, and the story came about when I tested out those same Extremes. Didn't like them and decided to stick with my Prestiges...
But yes, I do agree that sales reps only know what they're talking about half the time, and even most of that half is usually made up anyway.

Now I'm a bit confused. In your post, you said "Head rep". There's no such thing as a player rep who works for a racquet company. Player reps work for representation agencies (e.g. IMG, Octagon, etc.), and any rep working for Head is, in effect, a sales rep, as they are in the business of racquet sales.

Maybe you were referring to someone in the sponsorship/pro services department? (Although even the player liaisons and sponsorship reps are effectively racquet company wags and are usually told to stick to the company line when dealing with "civilians".) So unless the guy is a close personal friend, you have to assume he's giving you what he wants you to believe. As a test, you may want to ask him some questions about the Head pro room the next time you see him.

As stated previously, these guys are notoriously poor sources of information, as their job is to sell gear and generate publicity for the racquet company. I'm not saying the story is or isn't true, but you shouldn't count on info from this type of source, since they have a very long history of: a) not knowing and b) making stuff up. Also, the timing is questionable, in terms of when the development happened, which racquet it plays closest to, and how long the development process takes.

baseline_monster
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM

I have in the past told the Head rep what Safin uses, told the Wilson rep that the new rackets would be called BLX, to that I got the "defo not" and he meant it. Reps are told so much, and they repeat that. There job is to sell and fill people with crap about how good there brand is, thats all.