PDA

View Full Version : Depeche Mode

West Coast Ace
06-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Anyone else a huge fan of Depeche Mode? 'Enjoy The Silence' is one of my favorite songs.

Just saw in the latest Tennis Magazine that Gonzo is a a big fan. More reason to respect the crazy Chilean!

StuckInMalibu
06-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I am also a big fan. Anyone played Left 4 Dead 2? The female character wears a depeche mode tee. Just another reason to play that game!

morten
06-06-2010, 01:37 PM
love them, been to 5 conserts...

West Coast Ace
06-06-2010, 01:39 PM
love them, been to 5 conserts...Impressive. I got to them late; missed the glory days.

Favorite song(s)?

Dedans Penthouse
06-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Anyone else a huge fan of Depeche Mode? 'Enjoy The Silence' is one of my favorite songs.

Just saw in the latest Tennis Magazine that Gonzo is a a big fan. More reason to respect the crazy Chilean!

In a thread (scouring my elephantine memory) there was a thread entitled (musically): "Your Guilty Pleasures"

'Moi' cited that (lovely) song. Violator: lovely album.

Centered
06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Enjoy the Silence is a great song. Personal Jesus, though, is awful.

I think Black Celebration is their best album, although not every song is good.

West Coast Ace
06-06-2010, 04:03 PM
In a thread (scouring my elephantine memory) there was a thread entitled (musically): "Your Guilty Pleasures"

'Moi' cited that (lovely) song. Violator: lovely album.Great title - well done.

Violator is very strong.

SempreSami
06-06-2010, 04:11 PM
The Human League are better IMO.

Also, check out Yazoo if you haven't before. It was what Vince Clarke did after he left Depeche.

West Coast Ace
06-06-2010, 04:57 PM
The Human League are better IMO.
After 'Don't You Want Me', 'Fascination', and 'Human', I'm not seeing much. What songs did I miss?

Also, check out Yazoo if you haven't before. It was what Vince Clarke did after he left Depeche.Thanks for the tip!

vsbabolat
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
The very first Depeche Mode song I ever heard was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6FBfAQ-NDE&feature=fvst

The first Depeche Mode video I ever saw was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGnX-MbYE4

SempreSami
06-06-2010, 05:49 PM
After 'Don't You Want Me', 'Fascination', and 'Human', I'm not seeing much. What songs did I miss?

Thanks for the tip!

Their first two albums, Reproduction and Travelogue. Back when they were still pretty much a post-punk group using synthesisers, and before Phil Oakey fired the two who went on to form Heaven 17 (they did the song Temptation) and brought in the two girls.

Being Boiled
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRC9K7iLUAw
David Bowie declared this the future of music back in the day. Oh, and it inspired Vince Clarke to form Depeche Mode.

vsbabolat
06-06-2010, 06:06 PM
deleted post...........................

SempreSami
06-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Desire for mainstream success innit, that's why Oakey booted Marsh and Ware out after the second album didn't do well commercially.

vsbabolat
06-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I really like the late 70's early 80's British music. You had a lot great new original music that sounds like nothing else.

AAAA
06-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I like
'Enjoy the Silence'
'Just Can`t Get Enough'

JW10S
06-06-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm a big DM fan--I've seen them a 1/2 dozen times or so in Europe and 2X in the US. Their stuff never gets old for me.

morten
06-07-2010, 01:35 AM
it`s no good, and walking in my shoes are great songs too. But really too many to mention, i love them all(except condemnation.. lol)

DNShade
06-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Big long time DMode fan. Been to many, many concerts going back to the 80's - was at the 101 Rose Bowl concert/album/film and many others.

Just saw them recently and when they played on Hollywood Blvd for the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Kevin T
06-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Enjoy the Silence is a great song. Personal Jesus, though, is awful.

I think Black Celebration is their best album, although not every song is good.

Not my fave DM song, but I don't think Personal Jesus is awful. Check out Johnny Cash's version. Very good, IMHO.

dParis
06-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Ah, classic New Wave and will always be one of my favorites. Saw them live twice - VoiceFarm opening once and Nitzer Ebb another time. Good shows.

I have their earlier stuff covered by Catching Up with Depeche Mode, what I call "Bubblegum" Depeche Mode, but to me, their peak period was from Everything Counts/Some Great Reward/Black Celebration/Music For the Masses, then falling off sharply after Violator. Quite an impressive catalog.

West Coast Ace
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
...what I call "Bubblegum" Depeche Mode, ...I agree. Much of the early stuff was lame.

There is really only one thing that can be said of anyone who listens to Depeche Mode. I wont say it, but Ill let Eric Estrada say it for me.Ex Minnesota Senator Larry Craig, welcome to the TW Message Boards! LOL!

hollywood9826
06-07-2010, 03:27 PM
You think Keyboard cats is funny enough for an avatar but Eric Estrada pointing at you is not?

To be honest my lesbian ex girlfriend loved them so I had to listen to it. It wasn't terrible to me but wasn't great either.

Larry Craig, was the wide stance guy in the bathroom? If so I aint him, probably more of George Michael Careless whisper type :)

raphMODE
12-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Sorry to dig out an old topic, but I had to ;)
I'm a "Devotee" too.

Really love that band, and often play their songs on my keyboard.
I'm also running a website you might know (www.raphmode.net (http://www.raphmode.net)) where I made most of the dM fonts out there, and also a piano tribute album some years ago.

Cool to know there's some tennis fan here who also like this band !

Rock Strongo
12-20-2013, 06:41 PM
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed!

DNShade
12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Huge huge fan -- been seeing them in concert since mid 80's from small venues all the way to the Rose Bowl for the 101 concert - and just saw them at Staples two months ago. Amazing band live.

JW10S
12-20-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm a big fan, have seen them play live many times. I like the direction they took after the departure of Vince Clark. I know some people tend to dismiss 'synth bands' but I feel their music is complex and interesting--it's rare that you will not find a DM cd in one of my cars or on one of my ipods.

raphMODE
12-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Nice to hear there are some fans here :)
I saw them a couple of times too, but not on this current tour yet.
I will see them in paris in January.

I like the complexity of their music too, subtil details everywhere.
Big fan of the "Songs Of Faith And Devotion" era.

vive le beau jeu !
12-21-2013, 03:18 AM
All I ever wanted, all I ever needed!
... is here, in my arms ! ;)

Rock Strongo
12-21-2013, 11:55 AM
... is here, in my arms ! ;)

Words are very, unnecessary!

dlk
12-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Fairly average fan (never seen them in concert), Halo is my favorite tune.

raphMODE
12-23-2013, 03:58 PM
^
Good choice !
Should have been released as a single instead of "Policy Of Truth", in my opinion.

jaggy
12-23-2013, 04:10 PM
I remember they were originally part of the New Romantic Spandau Ballet, Durans thing and I liked their music the most, their first single Dreaming of Me I loved though it had no success. Obviously they developed!

Fifth Set
12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Fairly average fan (never seen them in concert), Halo is my favorite tune.

Halo is brilliant. Love the video too. That's Jenna Elfman!