PDA

View Full Version : Racket/Strings for wrist pain

roundiesee
05-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi every one. Just a quick question; does any one know what would be a good racket or strings to play with if one has been having pain in the wrist for several weeks? Any recommendation or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

louis netman
05-16-2005, 11:27 PM
First rest your ailing wrist and apply cold pack 2x per day (morning & eve) until the pain subsides. Then find a stick that's 1) 12+ ounces, 2) at least 95 sq in, 3) preferably open patterned with 3) flex of less than 62 (do a search on the TW racket finder). String with gut or gut hybrid at below mid tension and check back in two weeks...if you're still having problems, we may want to examine technique...

sandro
05-17-2005, 02:23 AM
Most of the time, the wrist pain is coming from wrong grip size (usually too big) and technique. Try playing w/out the overgrip (if you use one) and see how it goes. my 0.02$

Marius_Hancu
05-17-2005, 02:29 AM
Check the links
Wrist pain:
http://www.stms.nl/june2001/artikel23.htm
http://www.usta.com/healthandfitness/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=59135&itype=6835&icategoryid=591
Pain on the ulnar side of the wrist
http://uconnsportsmed.uchc.edu/patientinfo/whathurts/wrist/ related picture

also given under "Wrist"
in the URL in my sig:

AndrewD
05-17-2005, 02:30 AM
First rest your ailing wrist and apply cold pack 2x per day (morning & eve) until the pain subsides. Then find a stick that's 1) 12+ ounces, 2) at least 95 sq in, 3) preferably open patterned with 3) flex of less than 62 (do a search on the TW racket finder). String with gut or gut hybrid at below mid tension and check back in two weeks...if you're still having problems, we may want to examine technique...

roundiesee,
I had been experiencing quite a bit of wrist pain over the last few months (think there's a thread in the tennis tips/technique or the health and fitness section) and still get a recurrance when I deviate from what seems to work.

What seemed to help, for me, was going to a Head Prestige Pro (first incarnation of the Prestige, I think). Like louis has advised, its 12+ ounces in weight, has a comfortable flex and I string it at 46lbs. It is, however, a 93sq frame with an 18x20 string pattern. Im not sure what the reason is, but when I use a midplus or oversize the pain creeps back even if that midplus is a low flex (got it with a Volkl as well and thats a flexy frame). Of course, the smaller headsize allows me to string quite loosely but still retain control and the looser strings aid the wrist. Also, the heavier midsize frame doesn't allow for much 'wristiness' on your shots so keeping good form (and a firm wrist) is a good by-product.

My advice would be to experiment. See if a midsize helps, see if an oversize helps. See if lighter works for you or if heavier works.

I am of the opinion that you can't make a blanket statement regarding the cause of a lot of wrist, elbow, arm pain. So, the cure can't be general, it has to differ for each person.

Marius_Hancu
05-17-2005, 02:46 AM
do a search for "wrist" in Health forum, many are recommending various setups there
but the advice given here is sound

rooski
05-17-2005, 05:39 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned is racket length. The only time I have ever had wrist pain was when I used stiff, over length rackets (PD+, etc). As a previous post suggests, you should deal with the injury medically first and once it is healed, then you can move to more arm friendly frames (as have been mentioned). Don't push it. Get your wrist well first.

bamboo
05-17-2005, 06:21 AM
One thing that has not been mentioned is racket length. The only time I have ever had wrist pain was when I used stiff, over length rackets (PD+, etc). As a previous post suggests, you should deal with the injury medically first and once it is healed, then you can move to more arm friendly frames (as have been mentioned). Don't push it. Get your wrist well first.
Agree. Extended length caused my wrist problem, rest and using POG OS upon return solved it.

montx
05-17-2005, 06:43 AM
I would consider the Volkl 10 Tour MP Gen II, maybe adding an anti-shock grip like the Klip R4. The racquet is stable plus extra grip shock absorption is good. I would string with gut. I would also suggest looking over your stroke mechanics www.easitennis.com (courtesy Marius Hancu). Also going over your mechanics with a coach.

Good Luck

yip kok kuin
05-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Correct your posture with Yoga or whatever. That way tennis is far sweeter. Tennis is not an exercise, it is a torture to the body. Too bad we are all hooked.

Redflea
05-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Ice is only indicated for the first day or so to reduce swelling, then you can switch to moist warm heat to encourage blood flow/healing. If you aren't laying off and re-injure yourself, you can go back to ice to reduce swelling.