PDA

View Full Version : Annoying things when playing tennis

pc1
06-07-2010, 07:05 AM
I figured I'd start a thread on some of the annoying and tacky things that may have happened to you while playing tennis.

Here's one that happened to me. I was playing with my two young kids and wife on a public court. On occasion some of the ball rolled over to a court with two players who thought they were Nadal and Federer. Now they also hit balls to our court also but we just tossed it back to their court.

Anyone after one of our tennis balls went onto their court, one of them yells at us to quite playing or just wait until there was an empty court elsewhere away from them. We were there before them when there were some empty courts on the other end. They could have gone there when they arrived but decided to play next to us.

It wasn't that bad a ratio. I would guess for every three balls we hit onto their court, they hit two onto our court. And the thing that got me was I thought they were awful. I probably could have beaten both of them by myself.

Needless to say they kept yelling at my kids (even when the balls didn't roll over after a while) so we just decided that it wasn't worth it and we left.

The_Question
06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your trouble on..."public courts"...

IDK, I don't have anything other than annoy bugs that get in my face...

ronalditop
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
On the club I play there are a lot of old people, and some of them are really annoying. There is one in particular that never returns the balls that go to his court by himself, even though he and his partner hit lots of balls to our court too and we try to return them as soon as possible. I have to either tell him to please pass me the ball, or go pick it up myself.

sureshs
06-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I give people with kids a wide pass. It is admirable they are taking care of the family, which is much more important that playing tennis with old friend.

Chris Rizutto
06-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I have run into many more snotty than nice people that play tennis.

subz
06-07-2010, 11:51 AM
To the Op : If i were you, I would stop returning the balls they were hitting on your side, just to remind them that they are doing it as well.

I am sorry that you had to face those A-holes....

pc1
06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
To the Op : If i were you, I would stop returning the balls they were hitting on your side, just to remind them that they are doing it as well.

I am sorry that you had to face those A-holes....

Good point, didn't consider that because I automatically try to be polite.

teto29
06-07-2010, 07:18 PM
i really hate when on match point an opponent yells "game,set,match point!!">:O

scotus
06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Extremely annoying are those who ...
* spit all over the court
* blow snot on the court
* smoke on the court

FuriousYellow
06-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Dog owners who use park tennis courts for kennels, playpens and toilets for their pets.

cluckcluck
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Dog owners who use park tennis courts for kennels, playpens and toilets for their pets.

+1

Or when kids enter a public court to ride their bikes, skateboards, razor scooters, kick their soccer balls across the net or into the fence.

pc1
06-09-2010, 10:50 AM

+2. That is pretty disgusting.

mr_eko
06-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I would guess for every three balls we hit onto their court, they hit two onto our court.

Hmm how many balls were each of you hitting into your own court?

r2473
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
I figured I'd start a thread on some of the annoying and tacky things that may have happened to you while playing tennis.

Here's one that happened to me. I was playing with my two young kids and wife on a public court. On occasion some of the ball rolled over to a court with two players who thought they were Nadal and Federer. Now they also hit balls to our court also but we just tossed it back to their court.

Anyone after one of our tennis balls went onto their court, one of them yells at us to quite playing or just wait until there was an empty court elsewhere away from them. We were there before them when there were some empty courts on the other end. They could have gone there when they arrived but decided to play next to us.

It wasn't that bad a ratio. I would guess for every three balls we hit onto their court, they hit two onto our court. And the thing that got me was I thought they were awful. I probably could have beaten both of them by myself.

Needless to say they kept yelling at my kids (even when the balls didn't roll over after a while) so we just decided that it wasn't worth it and we left.

I am going to side with "Nadal" and "Federer" on this one. It is really annoying when people bring their kids to the court and they hit it all over the place. Especially when they bring them to the nice public courts where everyone else want to play. You can take your kids to any public court (cracks, torn net, etc) because it really doesn't matter.

Now, we will never know what **REALLY** happened in this case. All we have is your version of the story (obviously sympathetic to your point of view).

10s talk
06-09-2010, 05:09 PM
+1

Or when kids enter a public court to ride their bikes, skateboards, razor scooters, kick their soccer balls across the net or into the fence.

or street hockey !

heycal
06-10-2010, 02:24 PM
or street hockey !

I loved playing street hockey on tennis courts as a kid! Though we did play mostly in the colder months, so there were no tennis players around.

10s talk
06-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I loved playing street hockey on tennis courts as a kid! Though we did play mostly in the colder months, so there were no tennis players around.

it is great for the courts

Larrysümmers
06-10-2010, 10:16 PM
a pet peeve of mine is when people dont wait for the ball to go dead before walking behind to leave, i dont mind when i am practicing volleys at net but when i am at baseline i have to stop so i dont hit them. it is really annoying when playing a match, ive always been told to wait before going behind a court even if it is just a practice hit or causal rally.
i just thought it was common courtesy

xr3fgb
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
a pet peeve of mine is when people dont wait for the ball to go dead before walking behind to leave, i dont mind when i am practicing volleys at net but when i am at baseline i have to stop so i dont hit them. it is really annoying when playing a match, ive always been told to wait before going behind a court even if it is just a practice hit or causal rally.
i just thought it was common courtesy

+1,000,000,000

borg number one
06-11-2010, 02:55 PM
I know I'm "old school" in avoiding "grunting" while playing Tennis. So, I had to laugh when I read this article entitled "Sports has no shortage of dumb things to ruin your sleep".

http://www.rbj.net/article.asp?aID=184138

It was a tough night. I couldn’t sleep. I tossed and turned so much my wife thought I was having an attack of some sort. My immediate response was no, but then I realized I was having an attack—not of some sort, though, but of some sport. Actually, make that plural—some sports.

I’m not sure, but I’m pretty sure it started with …

Tennis. More specifically, the French Open tournament. Tennis is a neat sport to watch, even if you’re sitting at mid-court and have to keep moving your head back and forth to follow the ball. I even play tennis occasionally, albeit not very well.

However, why in the name of Bjorn Borg do some players, mostly women, grunt, and really loud, every time they hit the ball? I could understand it if they were chopping down a gigantic redwood tree or trying to pick up a pickup. But they’re hitting a ball that weighs next to nothing with a racket that’s only slightly heavier. Makes me want to mute the TV.

Do they grunt when they’re raking leaves, changing their sheets, or moving clothes from the washer to the dryer? Of course not! So, all you grunting guys and gals, cool it! OK?

pc1
06-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I am going to side with "Nadal" and "Federer" on this one. It is really annoying when people bring their kids to the court and they hit it all over the place. Especially when they bring them to the nice public courts where everyone else want to play. You can take your kids to any public court (cracks, torn net, etc) because it really doesn't matter.

Now, we will never know what **REALLY** happened in this case. All we have is your version of the story (obviously sympathetic to your point of view).

But I will say this and whether you believe it or not is up to you, I've had beginners constantly hit the balls onto my court and I don't complain.

But I can see your viewpoint. There are always three sides to the story, yours, theirs and the truth. I would like to think my side was closer to the truth but I see your perspective.:)

ProgressoR
06-11-2010, 04:32 PM

I can understand how it can disrupt the rhythm of a good hitting session. But it looks like the other guys hit onto the other court only a bit less so it evens out. And you have to give some leeway to guys taking kids out to hit and enjoy. It IS a public court.

pc1
06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Hmm how many balls were each of you hitting into your own court?

Actually my older daughter (who is a teen) has had lessons and she's pretty good. I'm fairly consistent as is my wife. My younger daughter actually wasn't really playing much and was sitting at the end of the court, usually only getting up to pick up the balls. But when we put my younger one near the net to bloop balls to her she did have some problems. However that was for a short period since she hates tennis.

I just thought it was very unusual for players that had trouble hitting two consecutive balls over the net to complain so much.

Anyone the story is besides the point because I just wanted to start off the thread with a story about something that annoyed me. Remember to be fair we did leave the courts.

We all have stories like that so I decided to start it off. Heck I'm sure we all have hundreds of stories like that.:)

pc1
06-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I can understand how it can disrupt the rhythm of a good hitting session. But it looks like the other guys hit onto the other court only a bit less so it evens out. And you have to give some leeway to guys taking kids out to hit and enjoy. It IS a public court.

Thanks for the support but it doesn't matter. I just wanted to start the thread off with this story.

But obviously I agree with you.

borg number one
06-11-2010, 04:55 PM

PC1, sorry. I missed this story when I posted, as I went straight to something annoying. Yet, let me say this. You are very patient, because those guys were way out of line. First, these are public courts. Second, you all were helping them out by returning balls to their court. It sounds like they were much too easily distracted. Making remarks towards your family? are you kidding me? Please make a point of playing next to those guys every time they see them at the Courts. They don't own the Courts. I'll mention something that happened to me a few months ago. I was playing on a Court by myself, hitting serves, running lines, and using the backboard (a rotating workout). Well, I was sitting for a couple of minutes taking a break and this girl's father walks over to me.

His daughter had the Court reserved for some 20-30 minutes later, but her father was sitting and watching for about 10 minutes. Then, when I took a water break, he asked me "Are you through with the Court?" in a way that sounded like, "What are you doing just sitting there?", "Could you vacate the Court so we can start using it?"

So, I responded "No, I'm going to be on Court for a little while longer." Then, I proceeded to finish my workout and then left with about 10 minutes to spare before my "Court Time" was spent (these were subdivision courts, not at a private club). He seemed very annoyed, but there's no way I was cutting my workout short just because he was impatient and wanted to get on the Court before my time was up. Anyway, that did bother me, as it seemed as if he was trying to get on the Court early, while "encouraging" me to leave early. Perhaps if he had at least said "excuse me" before asking me, I might have been less annoyed, but his tone was not very polite at all. No big deal, but that recent experience does come to mind.

pc1
06-11-2010, 06:21 PM
PC1, sorry. I missed this story when I posted, as I went straight to something annoying. Yet, let me say this. You are very patient, because those guys were way out of line. First, these are public courts. Second, you all were helping them out by returning balls to their court. It sounds like they were much too easily distracted. Making remarks towards your family? are you kidding me? Please make a point of playing next to those guys every time they see them at the Courts. They don't own the Courts. I'll mention something that happened to me a few months ago. I was playing on a Court by myself, hitting serves, running lines, and using the backboard (a rotating workout). Well, I was sitting for a couple of minutes taking a break and this girl's father walks over to me.

His daughter had the Court reserved for some 20-30 minutes later, but her father was sitting and watching for about 10 minutes. Then, when I took a water break, he asked me "Are you through with the Court?" in a way that sounded like, "What are you doing just sitting there?", "Could you vacate the Court so we can start using it?"

So, I responded "No, I'm going to be on Court for a little while longer." Then, I proceeded to finish my workout and then left with about 10 minutes to spare before my "Court Time" was spent (these were subdivision courts, not at a private club). He seemed very annoyed, but there's no way I was cutting my workout short just because he was impatient and wanted to get on the Court before my time was up. Anyway, that did bother me, as it seemed as if he was trying to get on the Court early, while "encouraging" me to leave early. Perhaps if he had at least said "excuse me" before asking me, I might have been less annoyed, but his tone was not very polite at all. No big deal, but that recent experience does come to mind.

I think most people would be annoyed with a guy who comes up to you like that.

You were right to continue your workout and you handled it very well.

TheLoneWolf
06-11-2010, 06:51 PM

That kind of "people" really annoys me. Family always goes first, especially kids.

I used to have this couple that had their bedroom under my bedroom, and they periodically would get into these horrible fights at the early hours of the morning (I'm talking 3:00 AM.) They would wake me up and I would be so ****ed off that I would start stomping on the floor above them just to let them know they were a couple of inconsiderate goons. Sometimes, after this started happening, if I left for the weekend, I would make sure to set a very loud alarm clock on the floor to go off at 2:00 AM in the morning just to pay them back.)

Eventually, they left, and now there is a family with 2 small kids and a baby. The baby wakes me up often early in the morning, or the kids wake me up bumping stuff around, but I will never as much as make a noise, because I've been a kid too (and a hellish ruffian to be honest LOL.)

So yeah, family and kids always go first. Those two arseholes deserve to have their rackets stuck sideways into their intestinal tracts to say the least.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
06-11-2010, 07:43 PM
My biggest peeves when on the courts is when someone playing next to me stares at me and expects me to get balls for them that roll onto my court, but when my ball rolls over, they stare at me and expect me to get those too. Really annoys me. so when it happens, I just smack the ball across the ground so it rolls to the court on the other side of them :)

another is people who yell and sing when they play and commentate on their own games.

my last is when families come and always hit balls to other courts every 40 seconds and their little baby comes to pick it up and he picks up the ball and tries to hit it to his court while he stays on mine. If you're an adult and you see your kid is interrupting someone's game, why dont you get it yourself?

pc1
06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
My biggest peeves when on the courts is when someone playing next to me stares at me and expects me to get balls for them that roll onto my court, but when my ball rolls over, they stare at me and expect me to get those too. Really annoys me. so when it happens, I just smack the ball across the ground so it rolls to the court on the other side of them :)

another is people who yell and sing when they play and commentate on their own games.

my last is when families come and always hit balls to other courts every 40 seconds and their little baby comes to pick it up and he picks up the ball and tries to hit it to his court while he stays on mine. If you're an adult and you see your kid is interrupting someone's game, why dont you get it yourself?

When I play with my kids (and it's not that often by the way) my older daughter or myself will wait until the point is over to pick the ball up and my younger one picks the balls up on our court. But yes that's bad when a baby comes over because you're afraid you can hurt the kid and they are rude for interrupting your game.

I've never heard people singing while they play. :)

Slazenger07
06-20-2010, 07:15 PM
I have run into many more snotty than nice people that play tennis.

You know why? it takes an ego to become good.

mp2002
06-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I played indoors over the winter/early spring and the thing that bothered me the most about it was the constant chatter from people playing doubles on the courts around me. I played an evening singles ladder once or twice a week, and there would always be groups of men and women who worked together or who have played tennis together for a long time and I noticed they would stand around and talk just as much as they played. A conversation during changeovers is one thing, but when someone is half-yelling to his buddy across the court it becomes distracting and annoying.
I never said anything to these groups because I understood they were there more to socialize than to play tennis, but I do think it's rude to be talking loudly or strait up yelling when there are matches going on around you. Especially when it's indoors and you can hear every little echo and footfall to begin with.
The thing that bothers me most about outdoor courts is pets. Why do dogs find tennis balls so irresistible?

baseline_monster
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
When I play indoors, there are divides for the courts, thing is, leaves hardly any room on the sides of the courts to get ride serves and run down balls, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

baseline_monster
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Also, when your playing and a ball goes on another court, they decide to roll it back when your in a point!

Tina
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
I know I'm "old school" in avoiding "grunting" while playing Tennis. So, I had to laugh when I read this article entitled "Sports has no shortage of dumb things to ruin your sleep".

http://www.rbj.net/article.asp?aID=184138

LOL, Borg#1

pc1
06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Also, when your playing and a ball goes on another court, they decide to roll it back when your in a point!

I was playing doubles outdoors on Saturday and some guy was giving lessons on the next court with two ball buckets. They were constantly hitting balls to our side which was okay with us but when we hit the balls to their side we noticed we were missing a number of balls. lol.

We started with two new cans, six new balls and after an hour we had 2 new balls and we noticed they picked up all the balls. I really shouldn't say it was annoying because we were actually amused.

We were commenting among ourselves that it was a great way they devised to get some new balls. :)

Tina
06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I was playing doubles outdoors on Saturday and some guy was giving lessons on the next court with two ball buckets. They were constantly hitting balls to our side which was okay with us but when we hit the balls to their side we noticed we were missing a number of balls. lol.

We started with two new cans, six new balls and after an hour we had 2 new balls and we noticed they picked up all the balls. I really shouldn't say it was annoying because we were actually amused.

We were commenting among ourselves that it was a great way they devised to get some new balls. :)

Why don't you write PC1 on all your tennis balls:)? All the best.

slewisoh
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
I have issues with calling the score.

I hate when opponents refuse to call the score when serving. I will politely hold my hand up each time they serve to me and ask them for the score. I've had a few people get really angry with me but I keep calmly doing it. It prevents disagreements about the score - why wouldn't you do it?

The other issue I have is more amusing than annoying. I faced an opponent once who, on my serve, would loudly call out the score immediately after a point ended. I would gather the balls, go back to the baseline, and call out the score...again. I have seen people go completely nuts with the guy, demanding that he stop calling the score, yelling that it's not his call to make.

Dtennis
06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Kids hitting/trying to hit winners during the strict 5 minute warm-ups in some of the tournaments I've played in

tennisguyak
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Not calling the score is my main pet peeve. I just don't understand why you wouldn't do it. And virtually nobody does it at most junior tournaments then they wonder why there are issues with the score. I mean, do you seriously think you're too cool to say two numbers before you serve?

ProgressoR
06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Why don't you write PC1 on all your tennis balls:)? All the best.

the coach who was on the next court, his name is Pete Carruthers, I know him, so that wouldnt have helped in this instance.

tennismonkey
06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
i don't like that i have a lot of balls with PC1 written all over them.

pc1
06-22-2010, 08:39 PM
i don't like that i have a lot of balls with PC1 written all over them.

Stop stealing my tennis balls. lol.

Tina
06-22-2010, 11:25 PM
the coach who was on the next court, his name is Pete Carruthers, I know him, so that wouldnt have helped in this instance.

I will purchase a lot of pink tennis balls to avoid confusion.:) "T" is written all over them.