PDA

View Full Version : Volkl c10 Pro vs. Volkl Cat 10

Michael Moss
04-16-2004, 09:15 AM
According to the specs, I have it narrowed down to these two sticks. I was wondering about the pros and cons of each- somewhat concerned about the low swingweight of the Cat. I currently use a Yonex Rd-7, two-hand backhand (best shot), play mostly doubles-s/v, all-court singles, 4.0-4.5 player. Any advice would be appreciated.

@wright
04-16-2004, 09:27 AM
The Cat10 is lighter than I think you'd want if you are switching from the rd7. The C10 is fantastic and will swing lighter than the rd7, but not a whole lot lighter. ALso, the Cat10 has a funny spinny feel to it, you don't really feel like you can crush the ball with it. I didn't like it, but I love the C10, if any of that helps.

AC
04-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Do you like the swingweight of the RD-7? I ask because pretty much every stick is going to feel light in comparison. It sounds contrary to what some people say of the stick, but I played with the RD-7 for a year and thought it was one of the heaviest and powerful sticks I've tried. Very soft and stable though...opponents could hit the ball as hard as they wanted, and the RD-7 didn't flinch one bit. Problem is, in most social tennis at the 4.0-4.5 level, usually you're returning much softer shots, and the heft of the RD-7 became a hindrance. Anyway, it's the problem with going by specs...I had no idea the RD-7 would swing as heavy as it did until I actually played it for a while...maybe its something about those yonex heads that always swing a bit heavier than their specs. The C-10 will have a similar feel for you, but still swings quite a bit lighter than the RD7, and less power for sure. You'll like it more for doubles net exchanges though....volleys are much easier with the C10, but if you're like me, no way will your serve be as powerful as it is with the RD7.

Django
04-16-2004, 09:40 AM
If you can handle the weight comfortably -- and you should, if you've played w/ the RD-7 -- then the C-10 may be the stick for you. I used a thinner 17-gauge multifilament string to give my C-10 more bite in what might first appear to be a slightly "mushy" feel w/ this flexy frame.

I have switched, however, to the Catapult 10 because I wanted the slightly lighter weight to lend better maneuverability and a quicker racquet-head speed. The catapult technology does indeed take getting used to, but if you harness the trampoline effect w/ a tight string tension, it plays great -- with pop, spin and that comfy Volkl feel.

Lambro
04-16-2004, 10:03 PM
this is the deal

the Cat 10 is more flexible (59)

the C10 is more firm at (63) still considered flexible

the C10 weighs a bit more

if you have full long fast strokes, get the C10

both are 98 inch heads...

topspin
04-17-2004, 03:47 AM
The C10 flex is actually 56

SliceServe
04-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Well if you wanna' open that can of worms........

Here are the claims:

The older C-10 pro with the "fishnet graphics" was the more flexible frame at RDC56. The newer model currently being sold is RDC 63 as measured by the TW staff.

There are members on this board who own both and claim "no difference". Other's say "absolutely different feel (flex)" with the same string setup, weight and balance specs.

There was a real ugly e-mail string going on back and fourth (on the old forum) between Volkl and someone who claimed that he definitely felt a difference. Volkl stated that they did not change anything in the material layup process. Only diff was the cosmetics. Volkl did end up replacing the racquet for the customer.

Real easy to put to bed. Someone that has one of each (newer cosmetic and older fishnet), take the strung samples to an RDC machine and measure. Report back. End of urban legend.

Lambro
04-17-2004, 09:15 AM
I owned both old and newer versions of the C10

but I never saw a spec on the older version, just the 63 for the current frame.

The older one was my favorite though....but not by leaps and bounds.

I later switched to 85 ProStaff

topspin
04-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Interesting Slice, I got mine about 2 years ago so I guess I got the flexy one. I have seen the TW lists the RDC at 63 but I remember back when I was researching my purchase that it was always 56 and the C10 Pro Tour was 59. I bet I would feel a difference with a 63 frame since I'm very much used to using a very flexible frame having used a Head Elektra Pro from the 80's for many years and the flex of that frame was around 54.