PDA

View Full Version : How good was Zinedine Zidane?

samprasvsfederer123
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
im barely getting into watching soccer,and one of my favorite things about sports, is their history, their legends, so i look up who were the 10 top footballers of all time and apparently this man zidane which by what i have seen in youtube, was pretty good. well he ranks as number 1 and looks cool, so out of boredom, how good was he?

http://listverse.com/2008/12/11/top-20-football-players-of-all-time/

not asking who was the best of all time just asking where would u place zidane, and how good was he...

Xenakis
06-07-2010, 06:34 PM
He was one of the best no doubt. I think putting all these great players in a top 20 is rather silly though.

You'll never get any agreement on the criteria, if you did, it would be easy to pick the 'best'.

jigar
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
He was really good. I haven't watched much him playing but you can find pretty amazing videos of him on youtube.

Feņa14
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
He was very good, no doubt. I don't quite rate him as highly as alot of people do though.

He'd probably be in my top 10, but certainly not top 5.

TMCW140
06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Personally, the greatest footballer of this generation- everything he did was just effortless and elegant.

coyfish
06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Zidane deserves to be among the best that is for sure. Where among that group is arbitrary. Too many different roles and styles to establish a defined list. He ranks in the top 5 on my personal list.

Zidane is my favorite player perhaps because I also played midfield. He was among the best at creating opportunities and ball control. Unparalleled when it came to his vision of the field and if you watched him play you would notice that he always made something happen. Thus his nickname was the "genius" by many. If there was one word to describe him it would be control. He was cold as ice and despite his temper he was never rattled in his abilities on the field when under pressure. His speed was his weakness but he made up for it with control. Great shot maker too but not the type of attacking finisher like Maradona, Pele, or even todays C. Ronaldo which is why he is often left out of top 10 discussion.

SempreSami
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Cantona was better.

OKUSA
06-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I wonder if Spain wins the WC this year, where Xavi will rank. Top 10 for me at least

cluckcluck
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Umm... Messi is the best.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Used his head to great effect.

bezs
06-07-2010, 11:04 PM
How is Recoba on that list :-?

Zidane was truly magic the way he created openings and used the ball he made it look so easy and so elegant at the same time like he's dancing with the ball. Brilliant how he executes the pirouette he is in terms of technicque one of the best ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_p-8R9mzQ&feature=related

Ross K
06-07-2010, 11:22 PM
I thought he was absolutely amazing... yes, a total hot-head (just like Rooney), but incredible power, energy, skill, technique and inspirational qualities who always performed at the highest level (World Cups, Euros, Champs. Lge, La Liga, Serie A - etc.)... simply one of the goat imo.

Hot Sauce
06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Pretty good at headbutting people in the chest.

Feņa14
06-08-2010, 01:30 AM
How is Recoba on that list :-?

He was one of my favourite players, he could do anything with his left and some of his free kicks were amazing.

I don't know how he's on the list, though.

Dave M
06-08-2010, 01:53 AM
He was one of my favourite players, he could do anything with his left and some of his free kicks were amazing.
I don't know how he's on the list, though.
His left foot was sweet, not a lot from the other side so i agree with youl.
In answer to the OP Ziane was that good. I watched a few games in bars in France and the people would just gush when talking about him.Don't forget when France won the 98 world cup they didn't have a half decent striker up front, they were playing with a withdrawn striker (Djorkaeff or however it was spelt) and a couple of young wingers (Henry and Trezeguet) but no proper front man.He pulled the strings and did the same in 2000.His comeback at the last world cup was amazing but ended badly (what was said to him?!) but it's a mark of the estem he is held in France I didn't see any Beckham style retalliation from the fans even though it cost them the trophy n a fitting end.
Better than Eric (and I liked him)

baseline_monster
06-08-2010, 02:50 AM
The best all round, consistant and skillfull players in the last 15 years

aphex
06-08-2010, 04:16 AM
in the all-time top 5 along with

pele
maradona
cruyff
+many candidates for 5th

malakas
06-08-2010, 04:39 AM
I love Zizou,my favourite player.
But if in tennis is hard to determine goat-ness in football is 10 times harder so you're not going to get a clear answer to your question.

Pretty good at headbutting people in the chest.

that's all you know about him isn't it? :rolleyes:

Dedans Penthouse
06-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Pretty good at headbutting people in the chest.Lost in all this head-butting hysteria was Zindane's sister herself....so what really was the deal with her? ;-)

http://schulein.files.wordpress.com/2006/07/zidanebam.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/Butthead.gif

Bjorn
06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Been following the sport closely since the early 90s and he's the best I've ever seen.

People mention Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Platini and, by the footage I've seen, they were all undoubtedly great footballers but Zidane is above them all for mine.

Technically perfect, a sublime touch and the most graceful mover I've ever seen. He was effortless.

Did it domestically in Italy and Spain, in a World Cup (two goals in a world cup final), a European Championships and the Champions League.

This goal, in a Champions League final no less, and with his wrong foot, is probably the best goal I've ever seen in my life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdy5fKdLvL8

Xenakis
06-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Could do without all the headbutting comments, not relevant and not amusing either.

bezs
06-08-2010, 06:44 AM
His left foot was sweet, not a lot from the other side so i agree with youl.
In answer to the OP Ziane was that good. I watched a few games in bars in France and the people would just gush when talking about him.Don't forget when France won the 98 world cup they didn't have a half decent striker up front, they were playing with a withdrawn striker (Djorkaeff or however it was spelt) and a couple of young wingers (Henry and Trezeguet) but no proper front man.He pulled the strings and did the same in 2000.His comeback at the last world cup was amazing but ended badly (what was said to him?!) but it's a mark of the estem he is held in France I didn't see any Beckham style retalliation from the fans even though it cost them the trophy n a fitting end.
Better than Eric (and I liked him)

Well they had Stephane Guivarch :lol: disappeared into oblivion after joining Newcastle after the World Cup win.

Breaker
06-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Second best attacking midfielder I've seen in my lifetime - behind prime Ronaldinho.

statto
06-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Top ten, but not top five.

My top five: Best, Maradonna, Garrincha, Cruyff, Pele.

Zidane would come in a second string of all time players, along with Puskas, Eusebio, Platini and Gullit.

Feņa14
06-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Top ten, but not top five.

My top five: Best, Maradonna, Garrincha, Cruyff, Pele.

Zidane would come in a second string of all time players, along with Puskas, Eusebio, Platini and Gullit.

I'd have Beckenbauer in my top 5, although being a more defensive minded player you can understand why he is sometimes overlooked.

statto
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
I'd have Beckenbauer in my top 5, although being a more defensive minded player you can understand why he is sometimes overlooked.

Yes, Beckenbauer is excellent, kind of like Lothar Matteus but better. I think he had the misfortune of playing at the same time as Cryuff and was kind of overshadowed.

On Cryuff, Alistair McGowen did a great impression of Bobby Charlton moaning at Jordi Cryuff at how over-rated he was: "What did he do - one fancy turn at a corner flag. He was rubbish, and you're even worse!" Can't find it on YouTube though.

EDIT: Found it. Slightly different from how I remember, as he's actually talking to Cryuff, not Jordi. The whole clip is funny but the part I wa on about starts at 2.38. Swearword at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcfgXQr2zxY

Xenakis
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
What about poor old Marco Van Basten?

Feņa14
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Yes, Beckenbauer is excellent, kind of like Lothar Matteus but better. I think he had the misfortune of playing at the same time as Cryuff and was kind of overshadowed.

On Cryuff, Alistair McGowen did a great impression of Bobby Charlton moaning at Jordi Cryuff at how over-rated he was: "What did he do - one fancy turn at a corner flag. He was rubbish, and you're even worse!" Can't find it on YouTube though.

EDIT: Found it. Slightly different from how I remember, as he's actually talking to Cryuff, not Jordi. The whole clip is funny but the part I wa on about starts at 2.38. Swearword at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcfgXQr2zxY

I've not seen that before :) thanks for the link!

PimpMyGame
06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Zidane no doubt one of the best I've seen in my generation.

And if you want proof that these guys feel the pressure he throws up just before taking the pen against England in Euro 2004. Must be on YouTube somewhere, but I can't find it cos I'm now going to play tennisssssssssssssssssssssss

Dave M
06-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Could do without all the headbutting comments, not relevant and not amusing either.
Sadly I expect a lot of people on here may only remember him for the scandle of that and what followed, which is a shame, better than Maradonna. (who is a cheat and a druggie)
A wonderful footballer, speaking of which Bobby Moore would be in mine.

Moore
Beckenbauer
Pele
Cruyff

rainingaces
06-08-2010, 09:53 AM
[size=1]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/Butthead.gif

Whats Jamie Murray got to do with zizou?

Dave M
06-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Whats Jamie Murray got to do with zizou?

Be nice to Butt head

NickC
06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I've been following and playing football for about 17 years now, and as far as midfielders go, he's the best I've ever seen, I remember watching him on TV when PBS showed matches from Italy and Germany. He was incredible with Juventus.

I rate him as the best pure creator ever (bar Cryuff), higher than prime Ronaldinho or Socrates (whom I've only seen in highlights, but those highlights have blown my mind several times). I believe Xavi, if Spain wins it all this summer, could be well on his way to be mentioned in the same breath as the latter two, due to his out-of-this-world passing/vision and his incredible technique, but he doesn't score enough to be have his name said in the same breath as a man who some Frenchmen rate higher than God.

hawk eye
06-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I've followed the game closely since I was a kid in the the late seventies. I've seen a lot of excellent players come and go. Zinedine Zidane was one the outstanding playmakers in history but I think he should never be listed above Cruyff, Pele or Maradona. He had great technique and vision, but I compared to those he missed the ability to cut through defences with a sudden accelaration.

My own favourite player Dennis Bergkamp didn't win as many international trophees as the ones mentioned on that list, and that's why he's often overlooked, but when you talk about effortlesness, style and technique for me he's absolutely unsurpassed. Even the great Johan Cruyff said his fellow dutchman posessed superior ball control.
I mean, just take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drScL8q956o&feature=related

hawk eye
06-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I've followed the game closely since I was a kid in the the late seventies. I've seen a lot of excellent players come and go. Zinedine Zidane was one the outstanding playmakers in history but i think schould never be lised above Cruyff, Pele or Maradona. He had great technique and vision, but I compared to those he missed the ability to cut through defences with a sudden accelaration.

My own favourite player Dennis Bergkamp didn't win as many international trophees as the ones mentioned on that list, and that's why often he is overlooked, but when you talk about effortlesness, style and technique for me he's absolutely unsurpassed. Even the great Johan Cruyff said his fellow dutchman posessed superior ball control.

hawk eye
06-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry double post

NickC
06-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I've followed the game closely since I was a kid in the the late seventies. I've seen a lot of excellent players come and go. Zinedine Zidane was one the outstanding playmakers in history but I think he should never be listed above Cruyff, Pele or Maradona. He had great technique and vision, but I compared to those he missed the ability to cut through defences with a sudden accelaration.

My own favourite player Dennis Bergkamp didn't win as many international trophees as the ones mentioned on that list, and that's why he's often overlooked, but when you talk about effortlesness, style and technique for me he's absolutely unsurpassed. Even the great Johan Cruyff said his fellow dutchman posessed superior ball control.

Oh yeah, Bergkamp was awesome. One of the most technically fluid players to ever walk on this planet. I remember watching him in his Arsenal days back when the Premier League was picking up steam here in the USA back in the early 2000's, he and Henry were incredible together, easily one of the most complete striking partnerships to ever grace the EPL, if not the greatest. He is, in my book atleast, THE best supporting striker of his generation. If my son (if I ever get a girlfriend, get married and have a son, that is) is going to play a supporting forward, I'm going to have him watch videos of Arsenal from back in the day because he really defined how that role was supposed to be played - he had it all - the long-range shot, the technical ability, the speed, the passing range/vision and the style/fluency that really helped Henry become the finishing machine that he was in his heyday.

mr_eko
06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I liked watching Zidane play because I loved saying "Go Zizou! Go Zizou!"

samprasvsfederer123
06-08-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvZwirDVouI

SempreSami
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I like Zidane because he's a mentalist, but I dislike how everybody forgets how many times he's been sent off for stamping on/nutting players while using Paul Scholes' inability to tackle to try and detract from his awesomeness (that scooped through ball to Rooney against Milan in 2007 was downright brilliant).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x22w_22-rooney_sport

Feņa14
06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I like Zidane because he's a mentalist, but I dislike how everybody forgets how many times he's been sent off for stamping on/nutting players while using Paul Scholes' inability to tackle to try and detract from his awesomeness (that scooped through ball to Rooney against Milan in 2007 was downright brilliant).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x22w_22-rooney_sport

Ahh, the one Lampard taught him? ;)

SempreSami
06-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Lampard's too busy standing in for Graeme Smith ;)