PDA

View Full Version : top 10 reasons why Lakers will win again:::

SoCal10s
06-09-2010, 12:10 AM
#10.. Derek Fisher is hitting his shots again..
#9... Ron Artest hasn't been suspended for any post season games
#8... We have better weather than Boston
#7... it's illegal to light up the victory cigar in the Boston Garden
#6... the luck of the Celtic leprechaun ran out for Ray Allen.. went from 8- 3 pointers to 0-13 ..in game 3..
#5... Kobe and Phil wants this bad...
#4... LaBron James is not in a Celtic uniform
#3... Laker's courtside stars are more famous than Celtics's courtside stars...
#2... more dead presidents are rooting for Lakers to win..
#1... good thing the Celtics don't play in Colorado ,Kobe has a bad history there...

Toxicmilk
06-09-2010, 12:21 AM
The whole Ray Allen thing really shocked me aha. But yeah, Kobe's consistency> Rondo, allen, pierce, garnett, etc...

Yenster
06-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Derek Fisher really came through. We just need one more road victory in this road stretch, and we got it! We'll finish this in 6.

CCNM
06-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Only thing good about the Lakers is Gasol & L. Walton. (BTW I don't follow pro basketball-lost interest around 1991, 1992) I like your reason #7.

Rockitdog
06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
The Celtics just flat out look old!

r2473
06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Tim Donaghy is rooting for the Lakers :)

http://deadspin.com/5555622/watching-the-watchmen-tim-donaghy-breaks-down-the-officiating-in-game-1

http://deadspin.com/5557203/tim-donaghy-on-the-refs-in-game-2-what-star-treatment

http://deadspin.com/5559056/tim-donaghy-on-game-3s-officiating-just-when-you-thought-it-couldnt-get-worse-

Tennis_Monk
06-09-2010, 09:56 PM
I like Lakers, always have been their fan and yes i want them to win this ..

Talker
06-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't underestimate the Celtics.

They took out Cleveland in four.
Orlando was rated #1 on the power rankings by some and they beat them.

The Lakers had their 8 game home playoff winning streak broke by the Celtics.

Allen was 0-13 and the Lakers still only won by 7, if Allen only went 4-13, not good by any means, the Celtics would have won.

Celtics favored by 3.5 on thursday, should be a good game. :)

TonLars
06-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Long ways to go Lakers fans, huge game tonight. The Celtics have alot of weapons if theyre playing well.

Go Celtics!

Slazenger07
06-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Celtics in 7....

Haasquet
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
there...

There's no guarantee this would have helped, anyway. How'd having Lebron in a Cavs jersey work out for them?

Mansewerz
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Go Celtics. I just don't like Kobe, seems cocky. He's prob a nice guy though in real life. Paul Pierce is cocky as hell too, don't like him either.

SoCal10s
06-10-2010, 12:38 PM
There's no guarantee this would have helped, anyway. How'd having Lebron in a Cavs jersey work out for them?

Lakers ,like most of the NBA tams cannot stop LeBron.. celtics did..

Haasquet
06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Lakers ,like most of the NBA tams cannot stop LeBron.. celtics did..

'Cannot', or 'did not, this year'? Everything that falls into the 'what if?' category is debatable. I'm just saying that it wouldn't have been a guarantee.

Full disclosure: I say all this as a Cavs fan. My family's from Cleveland, and I grew up thinking Mark Price was the coolest dude ever.

Juges8932
06-10-2010, 12:43 PM
1) That's why I never jump off the D-Fish bandwagon. I've always loved this guy. He has hit, time and again, big shots for the Lake Show in the playoffs. He embraces those moments, and yeah, he came up big in the 4th when Kobe was throwing up brick after brick.
2) Kobe was annoying me in game 3. He got too much in chucker-mode at some points in the game. In fairness to him, he's had to carry the team throughout the playoffs, aside from Fisher and Artest, effort-wise and he's been drilling those shots throughout the playoffs as well. But if you miss 5 shots in a row, you are probably off that night and need to drive and dish, set-up other players, or drive to the rim and try to lay it in/get to the FT line. The lane has been open for him all series. Instead of shooting off-balance leaning jumpers, take it all the way to the rim. But he is definitely giving it his all effort-wise, diving out of bounds, and playing great defense. 7 boards, 2 steals, and 3 blocks I believe for game 3. That's getting it done when you aren't having a great shooting night.

I wouldn't underestimate the Celtics.

They took out Cleveland in four.
Orlando was rated #1 on the power rankings by some and they beat them.

The Lakers had their 8 game home playoff winning streak broke by the Celtics.

Allen was 0-13 and the Lakers still only won by 7, if Allen only went 4-13, not good by any means, the Celtics would have won.

Celtics favored by 3.5 on thursday, should be a good game. :)

1) They took out Cleveland in 6...
2) Power rankings mean jack. It's all about match-ups.
3) You can't say that. On the scoreboard, sure you can say if so-and-so made "X" more shots, they would have won. Just like if Kobe had shot 50%, they Celtics would have lost by double-digits. Who knows how the game would have changed/reacted if Ray hit more shots. Maybe Phil would have called a crucial timeout that slowed down Ray/Boston's momentum, or made an adjustment, etc. Maybe the Lakers would have reacted differently offensively?

SoCal10s
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
'Cannot', or 'did not, this year'? Everything that falls into the 'what if?' category is debatable. I'm just saying that it wouldn't have been a guarantee.

Full disclosure: I say all this as a Cavs fan. My family's from Cleveland, and I grew up thinking Mark Price was the coolest dude ever.

yeah,move those 2 guys to LA...

onehandbh
06-10-2010, 12:53 PM
#11) The lakers have the best team, talent-wise and the best
player in the NBA.
#12) Kobe is more coachable now.

Talker
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
1) That's why I never jump off the D-Fish bandwagon. I've always loved this guy. He has hit, time and again, big shots for the Lake Show in the playoffs. He embraces those moments, and yeah, he came up big in the 4th when Kobe was throwing up brick after brick.
2) Kobe was annoying me in game 3. He got too much in chucker-mode at some points in the game. In fairness to him, he's had to carry the team throughout the playoffs, aside from Fisher and Artest, effort-wise and he's been drilling those shots throughout the playoffs as well. But if you miss 5 shots in a row, you are probably off that night and need to drive and dish, set-up other players, or drive to the rim and try to lay it in/get to the FT line. The lane has been open for him all series. Instead of shooting off-balance leaning jumpers, take it all the way to the rim. But he is definitely giving it his all effort-wise, diving out of bounds, and playing great defense. 7 boards, 2 steals, and 3 blocks I believe for game 3. That's getting it done when you aren't having a great shooting night.

1) They took out Cleveland in 6...
2) Power rankings mean jack. It's all about match-ups.
3) You can't say that. On the scoreboard, sure you can say if so-and-so made "X" more shots, they would have won. Just like if Kobe had shot 50%, they Celtics would have lost by double-digits. Who knows how the game would have changed/reacted if Ray hit more shots. Maybe Phil would have called a crucial timeout that slowed down Ray/Boston's momentum, or made an adjustment, etc. Maybe the Lakers would have reacted differently offensively?

I agree on 1), 2) and 3). I guess that doesn't leave me much. :(

The main point is that Boston has played way over their level, the Lakers are probably picked by any expert who knows anything.
However Boston is playing very well for what they have, all season long they gave little indication that they could make the finals.
Both the Cav's and Orlando were favored over Boston.
I think LA will pull it out but Boston can stop them.

Tonights game 4, Boston is favored by 3.5.
Critical game for Boston, they'll have next to 0 chance going down 3-1 with 2 games left at LA. Not so critical for LA, a loss would tie it up and then they would have 2 outof 3 in LA.

I expect Boston to come out blazing and high intensity, lets see if that gets them in foul trouble.

Hot Sauce
06-10-2010, 05:40 PM
1.) Because Fedor predicted it.

Dedans Penthouse
06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Series tied. Bryant & Gasol were the only Lakers who showed up tonight. Glen Davis = 18 points? Lemar Odom was a hot diggity dog.

This plus USC = bad day for LA

That said, pressure is still on Boston--the next game is a must win for the Celtics because if they lose Game 5, no way they win back-to-back games---especially Game 7 in LA.

bezs
06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
The slow mo shot of Glen Davis shouting and pumped up after making a play with drool dropping off his mouth was gross.

jigar
06-10-2010, 10:08 PM
too bad they lost tonight.

Talker
06-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Boston got the job done tonight as expected, that was where the smart money was.

Game 5 is in Boston Sunday June 13 at 8:00 PM ET.

Juges8932
06-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Series tied. Bryant & Gasol were the only Lakers who showed up tonight. Glen Davis = 18 points? Lemar Odom was a hot diggity dog.

This plus USC = bad day for LA

That said, pressure is still on Boston--the next game is a must win for the Celtics because if they lose Game 5, no way they win back-to-back games---especially Game 7 in LA.

Um. What game were you watching dude? Gasol sure as Hell did NOT show up. 6 rebounds, 1 of which was offensive. Are you kidding me? The Lakers being out-rebounded 41-34 and 16-8 ORB (offensive rebounds) is completely unacceptable. Big Baby worked Pau Gasol like he was Hakeem freaking Olajuwon today. Lamar Odom had a couple of nice drives, but really makes dumb plays continuously. Artest was busy making his construction company, but still gave effort on the defensive end and hustle plays.

The Celtic's bench and the Lakers ******** lack of strategy are to credit for this loss. Nate Rob and Big Baby really pulled through for the Celtics.

NonP
06-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Um. What game were you watching dude? Gasol sure as Hell did NOT show up. 6 rebounds, 1 of which was offensive. Are you kidding me? The Lakers being out-rebounded 41-34 and 16-8 ORB (offensive rebounds) is completely unacceptable. Big Baby worked Pau Gasol like he was Hakeem freaking Olajuwon today. Lamar Odom had a couple of nice drives, but really makes dumb plays continuously. Artest was busy making his construction company, but still gave effort on the defensive end and hustle plays.

The Celtic's bench and the Lakers ******** lack of strategy are to credit for this loss. Nate Rob and Big Baby really pulled through for the Celtics.

I agree with this. Kobe was really the only consistent Laker out there, and maybe Artest who was able to keep Pierce on a (slightly loose) leash. Game 5 now is a must-win for either LA or Boston.

BTW, some ridiculous shot-making by Kobe last night. It's still quite a sight to behold, after all these years. Enjoy it while you can. We may never see his like again.

Breaker
06-11-2010, 06:46 AM

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/IHTennis/perkinsceltics.gif

Rory G
06-11-2010, 10:16 AM
With Bynum a non-factor it allowed Big Baby and Perkins to push Gasol around a bit and control the paint and the boards. The Lakers are a different team w/o Bynum and the matchups go back to Boston's favor. The Boston defense, when playing well, also keeps Kobe away from the basket and shooting jumpers. The guy is incredible and will always put up some hefty point totals...but the Boston big guys are relatively quick and the team defense doesn't really allow Kobe to put up the sick numbers that he is capable of (so far!). I agree - the series hinges on Game 5.

CCNM
06-11-2010, 01:32 PM
The slow mo shot of Glen Davis shouting and pumped up after making a play with drool dropping off his mouth was gross.

Is that why he's called the "Big Baby"?

West Coast Ace
06-11-2010, 01:42 PM
With Bynum a non-factor it allowed Big Baby and Perkins to push Gasol around a bit and control the paint and the boards.Laker fans are a lot like Nadal fans. They never lose; it's always about injuries...:rolleyes:

Talker
06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Whatever, the Celtics are doing what they've done all through the series, adjusting and winning. Taking what's given to them and shutting down the other teams strengths.

West Coast Ace
06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Is that why he's called the "Big Baby"?I assume because he was very (very, very) big as a kid and his face still looks very young. Still looks about 16.

Dedans Penthouse
06-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Um.

Stop crying...er, "dude"

Gasol had no help. Don't blame him. YOUR team got pushed around and you can't blame Gasol as he is not (AND SHOULD NOT) be YOUR team's lo-post defensive presence. What basketball game did you watch....with an understanding of basketball? Stick to your "LA--lala-land" cheerleaders and spare me the "b-ball" schooling. LA? Great team, great franchise....clueless front-running "leave-early" fans.

BTW..give my best to Dyan Cannon and "courtside Jack" :rolleyes:

West Coast Ace
06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Stop crying...er, "dude"

... LA? Great team, great franchise....clueless front-running "leave-early" fans.
Well put. This is what I have to put up with... (native) LA sports fans are ridiculous. You should hear the sports radio shows. The callers make Fedace, Suresh, and all the 12 yr old Nadal nutters sound like intellectuals...

Talker
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
The Celtics now go to LA, they already know they can win there, just need 1 game.
They are a dangerous team, already beat 2 very good teams in Orlando and Cleveland.

Dedans Penthouse
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
The callers make Fedace, Suresh, and all the 12 yr old Nadal nutters sound like intellectuals...
ouch!....lol.

Hey all kidding aside, this series is far from over should Bryant get some help on the offensive end. But more than that, it's on the defensive end that LA must step it up and while someone's shot may not be falling, there's no reason for "defense" to take the night off.

And to that end, Boston's won 2 out of 3 games in which Ray Allen's "J" has gone on a mini-vacation and great shooters eventually regain their stroke (like in Game 2). It's been a spotty but somewhat intriguing series (helped out in part by these two teams long *Finals* history ... Kobe-Lebron matchups aside). Game 6: I think LA will come out of the gate and look to turn it into a track meet (getting out on the break) and defensively I expect Bryant and Artest to turn up the volume. Bad news for them is Bynum's bum wheel.

Talker
06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
ouch!....lol.

Hey all kidding aside, this series is far from over should Bryant get some help on the offensive end. But more than that, it's on the defensive end that LA must step it up and while someone's shot may not be falling, there's no reason for "defense" to take the night off.

And to that end, Boston's won 2 out of 3 games in which Ray Allen's "J" has gone on a mini-vacation and great shooters eventually regain their stroke (like in Game 2). It's been a spotty but somewhat intriguing series (helped out in part by these two teams long *Finals* history ... Kobe-Lebron matchups aside). Game 6: I think LA will come out of the gate and look to turn it into a track meet (getting out on the break) and defensively I expect Bryant and Artest to turn up the volume. Bad news for them is Bynum's bum wheel.

This series isn't over that's for sure, LA has some great talent so you can't count them out. The point spread is 6.5 in the Lakers favor, Boston only had a 3.5 spread at home.

I don't think LA can make it a track meet if Bynum is playing, he can't make it down the court very well now.

Boston knows they can win at LA so that helps, should be a real war on tuesday.

West Coast Ace
06-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Want to read some of the hysterics? I work with DJ Q*be - very normal, smart guy - EXCEPT for his delusions about the NBA:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=113737

This is his new 'theory'; used to think it was the refs - he'd find out which refs were working Laker games and predict wins or losses. Too funny.

tin
06-14-2010, 07:03 PM
During Game 5, the Celtics outplayed the Lakers...they played great! Great defense and nice ways to set points....

West Coast Ace
06-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Great defense....I agree. As opposed to the Laker's D which allowed Boston to shoot 56% - that's pretty sad for the NBA finals.

SoCal10s
06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
game 7 .. coming up in LaLa land... Lakers looking good to win ...

jerriy
06-15-2010, 10:31 PM
#10.. Derek Fisher is hitting his shots again..
#9... Ron Artest hasn't been suspended for any post season games
#8... We have better weather than Boston
#7... it's illegal to light up the victory cigar in the Boston Garden
#6... the luck of the Celtic leprechaun ran out for Ray Allen.. went from 8- 3 pointers to 0-13 ..in game 3..
#5... Kobe and Phil wants this bad...
#3... Laker's courtside stars are more famous than Celtics's courtside stars...
#2... more dead presidents are rooting for Lakers to win..
..And the #1 reason why Lakers will win again: Stalinist NBA goons (refs) will gift La La land's p*ssies a free-throw every bloody minute!

Juges8932
06-15-2010, 11:15 PM
This was great game for the Lakers. Right off the bat, they established themselves on the defensive end and really took it to the Celtics. The crowd was great tonight and really helped the Lakers keep up the momentum throughout the first-half. This was a reverse of game 5. Celtic's fans were really frustrated with their team's effort and I don't blame them. It's how watching game 5 as a Laker fan felt.

It's been nice to see from game 3-6 the refs back off and let them play more. I'm expecting a tough game 7 and hopefully an epic one with the Lakers coming out on top. The bench came up huge tonight where Boston's was virtually non-existent. The bench players always perform better at home with the crowd support. Boston's bench cannot be so severely outplayed as they were tonight. However, everybody on the Lakers' bench played well tonight and who knows if they will repeat that performance with the pressure of a game 7. I think game 7 is more going to be reflective and dependent on the stars, as is expected. Particularly since the stars will be playing more minutes since it's the last game. It was also nice to see Gasol get his confidence back and establish his game again. His effort was there all night, not giving up on plays, smiling, etc. If the Lakers come with their best effort and the Celtics come with theirs, it should be a great game and sure to entertain. That's what I'm hoping for.

Anyways, go Lake Show!! Bring home another one.

Davis937
06-17-2010, 09:06 PM
So there ... 'nuff said ... Lakers are world champions!

SirGounder
06-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Yee haw!! The Lakers won!!

grimmbomb21
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
And the #1 reason why Lakers will win again: Stalinist NBA goons (refs) will gift La La land's p*ssies a free-throw every bloody minute!

You were dead on. 21 attempts in the 4th. Plus a Gasol bucket that was shown in the replay to be a travel.:-?

jerriy
06-17-2010, 11:28 PM
^ Say that again!

I woke up and saw the last moments of the game only (on my way to work - it's early morning here in Europe) and at that moment - about 6 minutes remaining on the clock) the score was exactly equal.

All I saw was one soft freethrow after freethrow after freethrow. So the end result was inevitable.

West Coast Ace
06-18-2010, 04:25 AM
You were dead on. 21 attempts in the 4th. Plus a Gasol bucket that was shown in the replay to be a travel.:-?That's funny. And ironic since Laker fans think the refs are out to get them. I didn't even bother watching. NBA is a flawed product. NCAA college ball is much better.

Rory G
06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
You were dead on. 21 attempts in the 4th. Plus a Gasol bucket that was shown in the replay to be a travel.:-?

I thought the refs called a good game. They let the players play for the most part but toward the end the Celts were tired and committed too many fouls. The Lakers dominated the boards so they created many foul opportunities for themselves. As for the travelling non-call against Gasol - I agree but in realtime it was almost impossible for the ref to see.

Brettolius
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
They did let them play... until the 4th quarter. I like when 7 ft. 250 lb. Pau Gasol is coming up the court with the ball and around mid-court runs into a still or nearly still Paul Pierce and flops backwards and throws his hands in the air like he'd been electrocuted. The 4th was a bunch of nonsense, thy reverted back to 1st quarter game 6 mode. Just hand it to the Lakers who were just down by 13. Disgraceful. Won't be seeing that game on ESPN Classic. The Lakers would also like to give a big shout out to Ray Allen. I mean, WTF happened to his stroke?

The Celts were also taking a lot of dumb shots in the 4th, but it's not like they could be aggressive since they were getting the hell knocked out of them and no calls.

Kevin T
06-18-2010, 09:46 AM
They did let them play... until the 4th quarter. I like when 7 ft. 250 lb. Pau Gasol is coming up the court with the ball and around mid-court runs into a still or nearly still Paul Pierce and flops backwards and throws his hands in the air like he'd been electrocuted. The 4th was a bunch of nonsense, thy reverted back to 1st quarter game 6 mode. Just hand it to the Lakers who were just down by 13. Disgraceful. Won't be seeing that game on ESPN Classic. The Lakers would also like to give a big shout out to Ray Allen. I mean, WTF happened to his stroke?

The Celts were also taking a lot of dumb shots in the 4th, but it's not like they could be aggressive since they were getting the hell knocked out of them and no calls.

Agreed. Quality NBA reffing, as always. Ticky tack fouls for 6 games, then let them play roller derby in the 7th game. I'm with West Coast Ace; I can barely even watch the NBA anymore. I'll take NCAA bball any day. Allen, KG, Baby Davis had ~ one good game a piece. No one on the Celtics, with the exception of Rondo, played clutch. I mean, our UK man even popped a 3 in the waning seconds. :)

Brettolius
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Agreed. Quality NBA reffing, as always. Ticky tack fouls for 6 games, then let them play roller derby in the 7th game. I'm with West Coast Ace; I can barely even watch the NBA anymore. I'll take NCAA bball any day. Allen, KG, Baby Davis had ~ one good game a piece. No one on the Celtics, with the exception of Rondo, played clutch. I mean, our UK man even popped a 3 in the waning seconds. :)

Where did that 3 come from?!? I'll be honest, when he released the ball I was expecting it to sail about 5 feet right and short. Shocked he drilled it to say the least, but man it was clutch! Ray Ray's 1 good game was not nearly enough to make up for the pathetic performances the rest of the series. So it goes. I wanna know how they call all this ticky tack garbage all series yet miss Artest opening up a gash on Rondo's jaw that needed 17 stitches? Rondo is a baller, Gasol and Fisher need to be in the World Cup, and 'Sheed and Garnett need hovarounds. Go cats!

LuckyR
06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
This series isn't over that's for sure, LA has some great talent so you can't count them out. The point spread is 6.5 in the Lakers favor, Boston only had a 3.5 spread at home.

I don't think LA can make it a track meet if Bynum is playing, he can't make it down the court very well now.

Boston knows they can win at LA so that helps, should be a real war on tuesday.

Where's the Talker?

Tennis_Monk
06-18-2010, 01:37 PM

i am exact opposite. I actually dislike NCAA.

anchorsteamer
06-18-2010, 02:06 PM
entertaining game...but wow that awful basketball. Ray and Kobe seemed determined to see who could choke harder. Gasol was real series MVP

CCNM
06-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Neither can I. I've been hanging around Youtube watching videos of the NBA in the mid-to-late 1980's. Now that was good stuff. :) The San Antonio Spurs of the early 2000's are ok too. Anyway, congratulations to the Lakers, and thank you Celtics for putting up a good fight.

Kevin T
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Neither can I. I've been hanging around Youtube watching videos of the NBA in the mid-to-late 1980's. Now that was good stuff. :) The San Antonio Spurs of the early 2000's are ok too. Anyway, congratulations to the Lakers, and thank you Celtics for putting up a good fight.

Yep, I miss the Magic/Bird/Dr. J days. Heck, I miss 1980's bball period. The flow of the game was much more entertaining. Lakers 'Showtime' has been replaced by 'Slowtime'. Half court games just aren't as appealing, IMHO.

onehandbh
06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
One of the saddest days was when the NBA added a new
rule to prevent Mark Jackson from posting up all the guards
at will. Pretty funny. He was unstoppable. His game was fugly
but effective and the NBA couldn't take it. Guy was backing
that thing up on all the top guards.

West Coast Ace
06-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Yep, I miss the Magic/Bird/Dr. J days. Heck, I miss 1980's bball period. The flow of the game was much more entertaining. Lakers 'Showtime' has been replaced by 'Slowtime'. Half court games just aren't as appealing, IMHO.And the irony is, that Pat Riley, is the culprit. When he went East he switched to the 'they can't call all the fouls' mentality. Of course he didn't have the talent he did in LA.

The NBA is unwatchable. Between the lack of flow of the game and the spoiled athletes (that's what happens when you make a select few players the main attraction in a team game) who can't be counted on to show up in shape and play hard, the product is in bad shape. There were a lot of empty seats this year - there will be more next year.

SoCal10s
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Yep, I miss the Magic/Bird/Dr. J days. Heck, I miss 1980's bball period. The flow of the game was much more entertaining. Lakers 'Showtime' has been replaced by 'Slowtime'. Half court games just aren't as appealing, IMHO.

I'm a Lakers fan but I hate Kobe... "showtime" is now "show-off-time" for Kobe.. MVP my *** ... 6 for 24 and 0 for 6 three pointers... he's still looking after his own interest and still not a team player... trade him for LaBron or Wade.. I like Artest's fight.. he wears out the opponents with his physical play.. congrats to the Lakers..

Dilettante
06-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Gasol was real series MVP

Really? Couldn't watch the matches myself, unfortunately. Spain's press praises Gasol and I know he's important in the Lakers, but I wonder if he had such an important role in the series as Spanish journalists say.

Anyway, he makes a good couple with Bryant. They seem to work well together.

forthegame
06-19-2010, 03:32 AM
So there ... 'nuff said ... Lakers are USA champions!

There, fixed! :twisted:

Brettolius
06-19-2010, 07:57 AM
HaHa, I do agree that it's silly that baseball has the "world series"(even tho all the best players DO play in the MLB), but seriously, what international team would stand a chance against the NBA champs, regardless of who it is?

Talker
06-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Cheers for the Lakers.
The Celtics did a heck of a job, even with Perkins out and at LA they put a scare into the Lakers.
I wanted Boston to win, they play together so well, like a team should play. From that point of view the Celtics are a great team.
The final had everyone on the edge of their seats, as expected with two storied franchises.

West Coast Ace
06-19-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm a Lakers fan but I hate Kobe... "showtime" is now "show-off-time" for Kobe.. MVP my *** ... 6 for 24 and 0 for 6 three pointers... he's still looking after his own interest and still not a team player... trade him for LaBron or Wade.. I like Artest's fight.. he wears out the opponents with his physical play.. congrats to the Lakers..Great post (except for the Artest part - he's an idiot). Kobe's thinly veiled disdain for his teammates is great - if the Lakers lose, it's their fault - even if Kobe goes 6 for 24 - because he had to shoot because they suck.

MJ's kid is my new hero. So true. Pippen wasn't that good. MJ did it with average players. Kobe's Lakers lost early in the playoffs if he didn't have stars with him.

I the other thread I mentioned how sad the sports talk radio shows are out here. Can you believe that the day after they won one of the radio guys - former player Mychael Thompson - said "Derek Fisher is a Hall of Famer." Too funny.

JohnnyCracker
06-19-2010, 03:28 PM
^^^
That is too funny. Mychael Thompson is an idiot. Robert Horry is not a hall-of-famer. He was a much more clutched player than Fisher and he got 7 championships with 3 different teams.

NickH87
06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Great post (except for the Artest part - he's an idiot). Kobe's thinly veiled disdain for his teammates is great - if the Lakers lose, it's their fault - even if Kobe goes 6 for 24 - because he had to shoot because they suck.

MJ's kid is my new hero. So true. Pippen wasn't that good. MJ did it with average players. Kobe's Lakers lost early in the playoffs if he didn't have stars with him.

I the other thread I mentioned how sad the sports talk radio shows are out here. Can you believe that the day after they won one of the radio guys - former player Mychael Thompson - said "Derek Fisher is a Hall of Famer." Too funny.

Wow you clearly know nothing about basketball or that chicago bulls team.

Scottie Pippen

6x NBA Champion (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998 )
7x NBA All-Star (1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
1 NBA All-Star Game MVP (1994)
3 All-NBA First Team Selection (1994–1996)
2 All-NBA Second Team Selection (1992, 1997)
2 All-NBA Third Team Selection (1993, 1998 )
8 NBA All-Defensive First Team Selection (1992–1999)
2 NBA All-Defensive Second Team Selection (1991, 2000)
Chicago Bulls #33 Retired

Michael Jordan retired before the 1993–94 NBA season, and in his absence Pippen emerged from Jordan's shadow. That year, he earned All-Star Game MVP honors and led the Bulls in scoring, assists, and the entire league in steals, averaging 22.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 2.9 steals, 1.9 three-pointers, and 0.8 blocks per game, while shooting 49.1% from the field and a career-best 32% from the three-point line. For his efforts, he earned the first of three straight All-NBA First Team nods, and he finished third in the MVP voting. The Bulls finished the season with 55 wins, only two fewer than the year before when jordan was playing.

Talker
06-19-2010, 03:40 PM
^^^
That is too funny. Mychael Thompson is an idiot. Robert Horry is not a hall-of-famer. He was a much more clutched player than Fisher and he got 7 championships with 3 different teams.

Yep, I remember Horry for sure, he made some ridiculously long 3 pointers quite often. I didn't know he had 7 rings though.

Talker
06-19-2010, 04:00 PM
To answer another post, Pippen was one heck of a player, and defensively awesome.

AV1
06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes, I agree with the title of the thread - Lakers will win again in 2011.

SoCal10s
06-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Yes, I agree with the title of the thread - Lakers will win again in 2011.

I doubt that very much,if Phil Jackson leaves the Lakers,no one can control that egomaniac Kobe,and it looks like he's ready to move on... with LaBron and Wade and other free agents talking,they might do something crazy and jump on one bandwagon just to get a championship ring..these NBA guys already have too much money but those rings are bragging rights,,,

West Coast Ace
06-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Michael Jordan retired before the 199394 NBA season, and in his absence Pippen emerged from Jordan's shadow. That year, he earned All-Star Game MVP honors and led the Bulls in scoring, assists, and the entire league in steals, averaging 22.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, 2.9 steals, 1.9 three-pointers, and 0.8 blocks per game, while shooting 49.1% from the field and a career-best 32% from the three-point line. For his efforts, he earned the first of three straight All-NBA First Team nods, and he finished third in the MVP voting. The Bulls finished the season with 55 wins, only two fewer than the year before when jordan was playing.ROTFLMAO! And you know basketball? I don't see - and lead his team to the title in that gushing 'tribute'. And you might recall how that season ended: Phil called a play at the end of a playoff game to have someone else shoot. Pippen refused to go into the game - he basically quit on his own team.

Pippen = overrated. Jordan won those 6 titles. Scottie was along for the ride.

SVP
06-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Great post (except for the Artest part - he's an idiot). Kobe's thinly veiled disdain for his teammates is great - if the Lakers lose, it's their fault - even if Kobe goes 6 for 24 - because he had to shoot because they suck.

I the other thread I mentioned how sad the sports talk radio shows are out here. Can you believe that the day after they won one of the radio guys - former player Mychael Thompson - said "Derek Fisher is a Hall of Famer." Too funny. Let me say that despite being a 26 yr. resident of the L.A. area, I have "disdained" Kobe Bryant for a long time. But in this instance, I would have to disagree with you.

Quotes from Kobe from the post Game 7 press conference: "My guys picked me up." "I can't say enough about the Spaniard." That guy is unbelievable and just a helluva player. [B]WE WOULDN'T HAVE WON IT WITHOUT HIM.[B] "The more I tried to push, the more it kept getting away from me. I'm just glad that my teammates really got us back in the game." And with regard to Derek Fisher: "He's our emotional leader and our verbal leader...there's not enough words of praise that I can use to describe him and how I feel about him." I dunno, but I just don't see these quotes as evidencing "disdain" for his teammates. Kobe said that were it not for Pau Gasol, the Lakers would not have won. How is this disdain for teammates?

Is it so far-fetched that Derek Fisher receive Hall of Fame consideration, according to the radio talk show host Mychal Thompson? Everyone says Karl Malone is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame, but didn't Malone have the reputation for disappearing in big games, and how many championships did he win? Zero. Fisher possesses limited physical gifts, but shouldn't his ability to step up in big situations, and his championships, count for something? I know, I often consider the sports talk radio show host Mychal Thompson to be a tool, especially when he claimed that a previous U.S. president's military service in the Air National Guard in Alabama (or was it Texas?) during the Vietnam War was equivalent to combat duty in Vietnam during the war. I'm convinced that Thompson must have some ties with the Bush family, which could propel him to high office in his native homeland, the Bahamas.

SoCal10s
06-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Let me say that despite being a 26 yr. resident of the L.A. area, I have "disdained" Kobe Bryant for a long time. But in this instance, I would have to disagree with you.

Quotes from Kobe from the post Game 7 press conference: "My guys picked me up." "I can't say enough about the Spaniard." That guy is unbelievable and just a helluva player. [B]WE WOULDN'T HAVE WON IT WITHOUT HIM.[B] "The more I tried to push, the more it kept getting away from me. I'm just glad that my teammates really got us back in the game." And with regard to Derek Fisher: "He's our emotional leader and our verbal leader...there's not enough words of praise that I can use to describe him and how I feel about him." I dunno, but I just don't see these quotes as evidencing "disdain" for his teammates. Kobe said that were it not for Pau Gasol, the Lakers would not have won. How is this disdain for teammates?

I

well ,Kobe says all the nice things when Lakers win... did you see him sitting by himself when things don't go well? he a great player but not a team player...

West Coast Ace
06-20-2010, 09:33 AM
But in this instance, I would have to disagree with you....Quotes from Kobe from the post Game 7 press conference: "My guys picked me up." "I can't say enough about the Spaniard." That guy is unbelievable and just a helluva player. Did you skip the regular season? Kobe ripped his teammates on a regular basis.

We live in a PC world. That's called 'saying the right thing'.

Is it so far-fetched that Derek Fisher receive Hall of Fame consideration, according to the radio talk show host Mychal Thompson?...Everyone says Karl Malone is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame, First off, Hall of Fames are for the greats of the game, not overachievers.

I'm shocked at this comparison. Malone will go down as one of the top power forwards ever. He didn't win a Championship because a) team didn't have quite enough talent - after Stockton the dropoff was pretty sharpe; b) some guy named Jordan made sure he didn't. Fisher is a decent player, nothing special. He's in the right place at the right time. And I assume you completely overlook his defensive liability - he can't cover any of the top-flight PGs - his defense is basically flopping. He should be playing for the Italian World Cup team. :)

NickH87
06-20-2010, 10:26 AM
ROTFLMAO! And you know basketball? I don't see - and lead his team to the title in that gushing 'tribute'. And you might recall how that season ended: Phil called a play at the end of a playoff game to have someone else shoot. Pippen refused to go into the game - he basically quit on his own team.

Pippen = overrated. Jordan won those 6 titles. Scottie was along for the ride.

Lol that what people were saying when kobe was "along for the ride" when shaq was in town. Kobe nearly averaged 30 ppg in those title years.

No doubt shaq and jordan were the first options, there are no titles without pippen or kobe and you know that so stop downplaying their success like they are just some benchwarmer who happens to get minutes because theres no one else to play.

NonP
06-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Really? Couldn't watch the matches myself, unfortunately. Spain's press praises Gasol and I know he's important in the Lakers, but I wonder if he had such an important role in the series as Spanish journalists say.

Anyway, he makes a good couple with Bryant. They seem to work well together.

Nah, Kobe was the deserving Finals MVP. It's easy to badmouth him for his stinker in Game 7, but the Celtics' defense was just brutal that night. Kobe hadn't been near suffocated like that since the last time he set foot in Beijing. Boston really gave him next to no room to work with, and if you're a little off like Kobe was, that's all it takes for a bad shooting night.

But he did knock down a crucial jumper and make most of his free throws late in the 4th quarter, including a timely 3-point play. And what about the other games of the series? In Game 5, starting in the 3rd quarter, he put on the most spectacular one-man show of these finals that had even D-Wade (who was in attendance) shaking his head, but he had no other option left at that point, 'cause the rest of the Lakers had all but disappeared. And there's the fact that he averaged 28 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists in this series. Of course you won't hear any of this from the anti-Kobe brigade. People believe what they want to believe.

BTW congrats to Pau and your fellow Spaniards. It was obvious how much this ring meant to him. I'm guessing the memories of getting smacked around by the Boston bigs (especially Garnett) two years ago were still fresh in his mind. :) Seriously, Pau was the "big man" of Game 7, though Artest was the MVP that night on more than one level. (In case you don't know already, Ron's post-game interviews were comedy gold.)

SVP
06-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Did you skip the regular season? Kobe ripped his teammates on a regular basis.

We live in a PC world. That's called 'saying the right thing'.

First off, Hall of Fames are for the greats of the game, not overachievers.

I'm shocked at this comparison. Malone will go down as one of the top power forwards ever. He didn't win a Championship because a) team didn't have quite enough talent - after Stockton the dropoff was pretty sharpe; b) some guy named Jordan made sure he didn't. Fisher is a decent player, nothing special. He's in the right place at the right time. And I assume you completely overlook his defensive liability - he can't cover any of the top-flight PGs - his defense is basically flopping. He should be playing for the Italian World Cup team. :) Yeah, that's right, Kobe ripped his team during the regular season, but was that so unusual or despicable? Look at the God of Basketball, Michael Jordan. Where did the term "my supporting cast" come from? That's right. It came from the God of Basketball himself, Michael Jordan, the purported greatest basketballer ever. He demeaned his teammates all the time. He referred to his teammates as the supporting cast, including Scotty Pippen, who is now ranked as one of the top 50 players in basketball. These guys (basketball players) are wired this way, doncha know? These guys feel they're the best ever, and everyone else is just there to support them. But at least Kobe was able to put forth remarks to give his teammates credit for the Game 7 win. Sorry, I just don't see this as disdain. Kobe said that "the Spaniard" (Gasol) was indispensable to the championship win. I don't know what else you want. Do you want a return to the good ol' Jerry West days or something?

Wow. I don't think there's anything that I could say which could satisfy you. I mean, what did you want Kobe to say, "I had nothing to do with the NBA Championship, my teammates were 100% responsible for sinning the championship? I'm not the biggest fan of Kobe but jeez, I can at least give him some respect, dog.

Juges8932
06-21-2010, 03:19 PM
1) Saying Pippen is overrated and riding Jordan's coattails to 6 championships is ignorant and asinine.
2) He is one of the best, if not THE, perimeter defenders of all-time. Gary Payton and Michael Jordan are two of the other best.
3) Pippen, in Michael Jordan's absence was very close to leading the Bulls back to the finals and finished 3rd in MVP voting.
4) Until Pippen got to the Bulls, Michael Jordan was LeBron James now. A great player with a ton of talent and acquiring individual accolades, but never able to win the ultimate prize.
5) LOL @ talking about Kobe like he is Satan in regards to his teammates. Go look up quotes of how MJ talked to and about his teammates then say the same **** with a straight face.
6) Kobe gives a lot of credit to his team, and when they play good, he says it. When they play bad, he says it. When he plays bad, he says it. When he won the MVP in 2008 and asked why he thought the MVP came his way finally, he said, "It helps when you have Pau Gasol" while smiling and gave a laugh. Other than being a hater, I see no reason why people act like Kobe is just being PC when crediting his team, yet, he will say when they play bad. Oh, and by the way, when asked about Pau Gasol playing like trash in game 5, Kobe said, "He's been consistent and everybody has a bad game now and then."
7) Kobe ripping his teammates from 05-07; yeah, you have Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as your starting PG and C who are complete garbage and don't show up and you praise them. Smush got ran out of the league because he is such trash. Kobe would still pass them the ball, but they couldn't hit the ocean from 2 ft away.
8) People spend so much time hating on these great players instead of enjoying their talents and abilities.

CCNM
06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Jordan and Pippen had attitudes-which I hated(God I wanted the Utah Jazz to kill them and the Bulls in the finals)-but I won't deny they had skills. Also I agree-Kobe thinks he's hot stuff.

Dedans Penthouse
06-22-2010, 03:45 PM
1) Saying Pippen is overrated and riding Jordan's coattails to 6 championships is ignorant and asinine.
2) He is one of the best, if not THE, perimeter defenders of all-time. Gary Payton and Michael Jordan are two of the other best.
3) Pippen, in Michael Jordan's absence was very close to leading the Bulls back to the finals and finished 3rd in MVP voting.
4) Until Pippen got to the Bulls, Michael Jordan was LeBron James now. A great player with a ton of talent and acquiring individual accolades, but never able to win the ultimate prize.
5) LOL @ talking about Kobe like he is Satan in regards to his teammates. Go look up quotes of how MJ talked to and about his teammates then say the same **** with a straight face.
6) Kobe gives a lot of credit to his team, and when they play good, he says it. When they play bad, he says it. When he plays bad, he says it. When he won the MVP in 2008 and asked why he thought the MVP came his way finally, he said, "It helps when you have Pau Gasol" while smiling and gave a laugh. Other than being a hater, I see no reason why people act like Kobe is just being PC when crediting his team, yet, he will say when they play bad. Oh, and by the way, when asked about Pau Gasol playing like trash in game 5, Kobe said, "He's been consistent and everybody has a bad game now and then."
7) Kobe ripping his teammates from 05-07; yeah, you have Smush Parker and Kwame Brown as your starting PG and C who are complete garbage and don't show up and you praise them. Smush got ran out of the league because he is such trash. Kobe would still pass them the ball, but they couldn't hit the ocean from 2 ft away.
8) People spend so much time hating on these great players instead of enjoying their talents and abilities.Good, informative post. Thx.

Scottie was an "I-A" next to Michael but recall that "pouty" moment when Scottie wasn't going to be "the man" and instead choose to sit-on-the-bench....."pouting?" .... and at the end of an NBA playoff game no less?).

THAT alone, if nothing else, is what put Pippen imho a notch below Jordan.

Pippen was serious at all levels of the game both offensive and defensive, but at one time...during "crunch time" ... when the situation called for "I'LL GIVE IT UP" up for YOU (my team mates), it didn't materialize (Scottie rode the 'pines') and THAT imho is part of what separated Michael from Scottie (aside from the fact that ...er, well who wouldn't take 'Jordan' over 'Pippen' in a 5-on-5 game with your life hanging on the balance).

i.e. fast foward to a Bull's team huddle---Coach Phil Jackson to the team (Jordan) during the tail end of that NBA championship series game:

".....Michael, if the off-guard is open, pass it to him....."

Jordan (uber-stud) wasn't on the bench pounting because he wasn't going to be "THE MAN" ...... instead, no less a player than Michael Jordan flipped it over to the "suburban jump shooting" off-guard....and....lo and belold (nice play call Phil) .... swish!...ball game, championship clinched.

Juges8932
06-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Good, informative post. Thx.

Scottie was an "I-A" next to Michael but recall that "pouty" moment when Scottie wasn't going to be "the man" and instead choose to sit-on-the-bench....."pouting?" .... and at the end of an NBA playoff game no less?).

THAT alone, if nothing else, is what put Pippen imho a notch below Jordan.

Pippen was serious at all levels of the game both offensive and defensive, but at one time...during "crunch time" ... when the situation called for "I'LL GIVE IT UP" up for YOU (my team mates), it didn't materialize (Scottie rode the 'pines') and THAT imho is part of what separated Michael from Scottie (aside from the fact that ...er, well who wouldn't take 'Jordan' over 'Pippen' in a 5-on-5 game with your life hanging on the balance).

i.e. fast foward to a Bull's team huddle---Coach Phil Jackson to the team (Jordan) during the tail end of that NBA championship series game:

".....Michael, if the off-guard is open, pass it to him....."

Jordan (uber-stud) wasn't on the bench pounting because he wasn't going to be "THE MAN" ...... instead, no less a player than Michael Jordan flipped it over to the "suburban jump shooting" off-guard....and....lo and belold (nice play call Phil) .... swish!...ball game, championship clinched.

My point isn't that Scottie was on-par with Michael Jordan, because that's not what I'm saying. Simply this: EVERY single great player needs a great number 2 in order to be successful in this league. If your team doesn't have a all-time great ('04 Pistons) on your team, then you need a bunch of guys who play great defensively and as a unit (not that the '04 Pistons were lacking in talent. They just didn't have THE guy). Michael Jordan was a great player prior to Pippen arriving in Chicago, but until Pippen got there, he hadn't won a championship.

Yeah, that is definitely one of the blemishes on Pippen's career, but not something that he is remembered for, at least in my experience. I'm not defending it, because personally, I think that is inexcusable. However, Pippen played a HUGE part in those 6 championships and I just don't think people give him his proper respects for what he did on those championship teams. When you look at how he performed without MJ and the success of the Bulls WITHOUT an equally great wing-man, it shows you that he was definitely a special talent in himself. While not excusing what Pippen did (When the play was ran for Kukoc), I think it can be explained by this: Pippen was always #2 and now he finally had a chance to showcase his talents solely as the #1 option and prove that he was a great player himself. He wanted to take that shot, it wasn't ran for him, and it had more to do with trying to prove himself than anything IMO. Does it make what he did right? No. And especially given that Kukoc hit that GW, but it can explain it. He felt like a little brother cast in his big brother's shadow.

Yeah, Jordan passed the ball several times for GWs, most notably the 3 he swung to Kerr. But, in conjunction with what I said ^, Jordan was already solidified as the certified NBA superstar. He had the league and nation wrapped around his finger. He didn't have to prove that he could lead a team to greatness, he already had.

Jordan may have been a great player and done anything to win, but he certainly was not a great guy to his teammates. He actually punched (Kerr I believe) in practice once he got so angry. Now, he did call later and apologized, which is good. Everybody gets angry and does irrational, stupid things. Does it make it right? No, of course not. But everybody is human and makes mistakes.

Another simple point: A LOT of the all-time greats have been known to be a pain in the *** for teammates. The way guys like Jordan think is not normal. They have insatiable need for greatness and to be the best they possibly can be. Wanting to win at all costs. They are so talented and great that for them, they don't understand some of the simple errors (to them) that other players make and it bothers them, sometimes resulting in them doing *** things. It's like a great scientist and normal people. A lot of things are child's play to them and they don't understand how people don't comprehend what they are saying or how dumbfounded people can be, even stretching to other scientists who are very smart in their own rights.

onehandbh
06-26-2010, 12:58 AM
On paper, I think the guys on Kobe's championship teams were a little
better than Jordan's. Shaq was one of the most unstoppable centers of all-time.
Nobody could guard him one-on-one in the post. Jordan, however, was
able to somehow get his teammates to play well when it counted and
play well as a team. A lot of credit has to go to Phil as well. It was funny
how he used 2 or 3 sub-par centers (6 fouls x 3) to go against one center.
Brilliant.