PDA

View Full Version : Department of Engineering for making Tennis Rackets?

Yenster
06-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Hey there,

I was just thinking of my future as I'm a sophomore in high school right now. I was thinking of applying to Cal Polytechnic San Luis Obispo, which has a terrific engineering program. I meet the requirements already and then some so I think I have a good chance of getting in. As you might have guessed, I wish to major in engineering, probably mechanical engineering. But then I was thinking, what if I can combine my love of tennis and my (soon to be?) love of engineering? Also, I have always been fascinated by racket technology.

So what I'm asking for is, what department of engineering does making tennis rackets go under? I was thinking probably material sciences engineering (but then that requires chemistry...)

And I wanna go to San Luis Obispo to get a job at TW and become the future owner :twisted:

Yenster
06-08-2010, 11:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Poly_San_Luis_Obispo_College_of_Engineering

Just scroll down to the Department section for more info.

SystemicAnomaly
06-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Materials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materials_Engineering) Science (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materials_Engineering) (Materials Engineering) sounds like the way to go. However, if (applied) physics and chemistry are not your cup of tea, then maybe you should reconsider. Cal Poly SLO is a great place to get an education. Gotta love the college town atmosphere as well. (I went there in the early 80s and my niece is graduating from there at the end of this week).

mikeler
06-09-2010, 04:13 AM
If you have two loves that you want to do for the rest of your life, don't let chemistry scare you away. Trying to remember back to my college days, but I'm pretty sure all engineering majors had to take a minimum of 2 semesters of chemistry.

El Diablo
06-09-2010, 04:51 AM
I believe Paul Angell of Vantage is degreed in materials engineering. And yes, anyone who's looking to avoid studying chemistry probably should stay away from engineering. Racquet technology itself seems rather static and boring compared with other areas of engineering. In over a hundred years, there's basically been wood, graphite, and a raftload of dead-end marketing gimmicks.

madmanfool
06-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I'm from Belgium and I'm about to graduate as a mechanical engineer. I just signed for my first job as well. I wouldn't worry too much about what is the correct department for a future job. Both mechanical and material engineering will do just fine for your interest. What they care about in the industry is that you had a broad and highly regarded education. They don't always look for someone whose study profile matches the job 100 percent. For example, some engineers go into consultancy. They haven't studied for that, but their education gives them a very systematic way of thinking that is very usefull. So please don't worry they won't let you in if you study mechanical engineering instead of material sciences. Remember that material engineering, is exactly as the name suggest, the study of materials. If that appeals to you, great, but it never did for me. Also take into account that I do know a lot about materials even though I studied mechanical engineering. If you're interested in racket technology your enthousiasm will be a big plus when you apply for the job. Those things matter just as much if not more.

subz
06-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Material sciences engineering is the way to go, there is chemistry involved but it shouldnt be too hard. There is also lot of physics at the molecular or atomic level and for you the mechanical properties of materials should be the focus. Materials science is very interesting field, with a lot of opportunities in different industries. Like one poster said, dont let chemistry scare you !

Mechanical engineering could be a good choice as well.

dParis
06-09-2010, 06:12 AM
I would guess racquet companies directly employ few engineers for racquet design. My guess is they have a small design/R&D staff which outsources most of the work to engineering firms who complete the design and manufacture of the product - so the people doing much of the racquet engineering work are also doing engineering work for other types of products. In other words, racquet engineering is a relatively small part of their job. I'd be surprised if there weren't a thread that deals with this specific topic.

sureshs
06-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Send email to the poster racquetdesign (Paul @Vantage).

Expand your horizons to include squash, racquetball, table tennis, badminton, golf and skiing, and you will have more opportunities to apply materials science to sports. Don't rely on only one sport.

Yenster
06-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the big help, well I'll look into materials engineering and check that out. Chemistry is probably one of my worst subjects (my teacher sucks).

When I make a racket composed of diamonds and gold (tons of stability), I will be sure to send all you guys at least one!

TW Staff
06-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Another incentive to go to Cal Poly, Tennis Warehouse is in the same city!

TW Staff