PDA

View Full Version : I want to look sharp ...

Davis937
06-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey ... got a big event Saturday night so I want to look really good ... was wondering what's the preferred way to tie/knot one's tie ... I like the "regular" knot ... my buddies are saying I should use the "Windsor" knot ... what do you guys (... and ladies too) think ... also ... now this is also pretty "controversial" ... how far down should one's tie hang ... some people say the bottom should hit one's belt ... others say ... the tie should fall below the belt ... survey says? Thanks for the help!! ** smile ** and I promise to wear a long sleeve white shirt with my suite (... I'll leave the short sleeve shirt at home that night, OK) ... hope the ladies will dance with me ...

LameTennisPlayer
06-10-2010, 12:16 AM
ties below the belt- really, it makes guys look ******** and lack length in other areas, and a short tie is no good either, windsor knot is always the best even though i could never tie it lol, dont wear short sleeve shirt with tie, what is the occasion?

Davis937
06-10-2010, 12:22 AM
ties below the belt- really, it makes guys look ******** and lack length in other areas, and a short tie is no good either, windsor knot is always the best even though i could never tie it lol, dont wear short sleeve shirt with tie, what is the occasion?

Thanks, Lame ... a double birthday party ... at a nice country club ... getting a little excited ... don't worry, I'm still going to play tennis that afternoon (my regular routine)... get myself into the right mood ... of course all the guys will be teasing me ... wow, I think there might even be a lady or two at this shindig ... gulp ... not sure exacrtly how to act around them *smile*

ProgressoR
06-10-2010, 01:04 AM
my view - tie length at the belt or just above maybe an inch - once you cover your belt you might as well give up and wear your short sleeve shirt with it.

knot - i never use windsor knot, its not a bad knot, but just looks a bit too......straight in my view, normally used by older guys (who take pride in looking straight and neat, and good for them), teachers, or some private school kids. I love generalising.

Suit, 2 button is best (classic and sharp), if you do one button, it must be the top one (or the middle button if you have to wear a 3 button).

Dark suit, white shirt, nice tie, can't go wrong. Wear collar inserts in the shirt, nothing worse than collars turning upwards during the night. Double cuff is a bit more classy (but quite common nowadays) than simple cuff.

Davis937
06-10-2010, 01:41 AM
My buds are encouraging me to go "windsor" ... not even sure if I'm spelling it correctly ... seeing as how I don't know how to tie one ... would it be in poor taste if I wore a clip on tie ... I have one but it only hangs down three or four buttons ... ends just above my belly button ... because of my gut ... it ends up looking like a ski jump (... I know you guys are smiling ... please stop that)!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 01:44 AM
my view - tie length at the belt or just above maybe an inch - once you cover your belt you might as well give up and wear your short sleeve shirt with it.

knot - i never use windsor knot, its not a bad knot, but just looks a bit too......straight in my view, normally used by older guys (who take pride in looking straight and neat, and good for them), teachers, or some private school kids. I love generalising.

Suit, 2 button is best (classic and sharp), if you do one button, it must be the top one (or the middle button if you have to wear a 3 button).

Dark suit, white shirt, nice tie, can't go wrong. Wear collar inserts in the shirt, nothing worse than collars turning upwards during the night. Double cuff is a bit more classy (but quite common nowadays) than simple cuff.

Shoots ... I don't need to use a belt ... do I really need to use one ... especially if I keep my jacket buttoned (yeah ... it's a two button job, pin stripe .. charcoal gray) ..

Davis937
06-10-2010, 01:47 AM
My long sleeve white shirt ... hmmm ... looks a little cream colored now (few years old) ... anyway, the shirt has button down collars ... is that no good for evening wear ... I was thinking maybe my white short sleeve shirt (Arrow ... from JC Penneys) ... afterall, if I wear my jacket, no one will know, no? I do want to look sharp for the ladies ... I'm ready to boogie (... do the ladies still use that term) ...

Davis937
06-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Hey ladies ... let me know your thoughts on how I'm dressing for Saturday night ... is it a hit or a miss ... be honest with me, OK ...

PimpMyGame
06-10-2010, 02:20 AM
If you wear a short sleeved shirt with jacket and tie you'll look like a factory ops director. I would suggest full sleeved shirt, tie ending an inch above the belt (and please do wear a belt) either full or half Windsor, a dark single breasted suit.

But - more importantly - do not forget your extremities - hair and shoes. Many people will initially assess you on hair and shoes, and skip everything else in between. First impressions count. Maybe some Oliver Sweeneys with a matching belt? What's your budget like?

OrangeOne
06-10-2010, 02:24 AM
I was thinking maybe my white short sleeve

If you wear a short sleeved shirt with jacket and tie you'll look like a factory ops director. I would suggest full sleeved shirt, tie ending an inch above the belt (and please do wear a belt) either full or half Windsor, a dark single breasted suit.

But - more importantly - do not forget your extremities - hair and shoes. Many people will initially assess you on hair and shoes, and skip everything else in between. First impressions count.

^^ I could post, but I'd post what PMG did. On the money there, nice post.

LameTennisPlayer
06-10-2010, 03:45 AM
wear a belt of course, even if its covered, u will no doubt be put in a position where your belt-less trousers will be showing, not a good look, they are more of an accessory as opposed to functional and u may as well go naked if u dont have one

Larrysümmers
06-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Windsor knot. Not quite touching the belt as progressor said. White cream should be ok, longsleeve button down shirt. Dark jacket. Black trousers with black shoes. Cannot go wrong there.

ProgressoR
06-10-2010, 04:24 AM
seems button down shirts are a US thing, not very common in the UK, if in UK wouldnt recommend button down.

Shiny shoes, is a must too.

Simple belt with simple buckle, no cowboy style buckles. Belt to match shoes, cant go wrong with black.

*breaksracquet
06-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Double Windsor, only the pros know this knot, and puts all other knots to shame. It looks wwwaaaayyyy more professional than the windsor and during conversation, wives will point out to there husbands stating that's how you tie a tie (i know this knot) ;-). Leave bow-ties to Carlton Winslow, only a select few can pull that look off. if you don't look like Justin Timberlake, don't go that route.

Edit: the tie should hang only to the top of the belt buckle. as you sit, your tie shouldn't hang past the "bulge" in your pants. the tie should only rest on the bulge/fly seem.

have to agree with the two button jacket, possibly sports coat if at CC occasion. grey is safe and matches just about any color but orange and yellow. dark/midnight blue will set you apart from the rest of the folks. Beige/tan/khaki I can guess will be the trend and if you want to blend, it's a safe bet.

shoes, medium square toe, not too wide, don't want the shoes to look like duck bills. Johnston & Murphy comes to mind or shoes, classy shiek. black, brown, white, so many to choose, color should match the belt tho.

Belt- Again, try to match it with the shoes. it's a safe play. I prefer the buckle to be solid, not a ring type buckle. belts are relatively inexpensive and a quality designer belt can be found at TJMaxx and Marshalls.

PimpMyGame
06-10-2010, 06:28 AM
seems button down shirts are a US thing, not very common in the UK, if in UK wouldnt recommend button down.

Agree. Reminds me of 1997.

hollywood9826
06-10-2010, 06:41 AM
+1 for Double Windsor

+1 for just slighty above the belt

+1 for actually wearing a belt

813wilson
06-10-2010, 06:48 AM
With a gray pinstripe....?

Bright white long sleeve, 100% cotton, medium starched, shirt.

Small knot in a muted color that comes to the middle of your belt while standing.

White tri fold silk pocket square 1/2 inch above the breast pocket.

Black belt, nothing fancy in the buckle - you're not a rodeo rider.

Black lace up shoe - J&M, Cole Haan.

Hint - if you're unsure on the knot to wear, go to decent men's store, Nordstrom, Jos Bank, etc. and ask the associate to help you tie the knot. they'll show you and you can even loosen it, take it off, and leave tied to put back on that night.

athiker
06-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Here are a few slides from GQ to go through...tips for certain body types. Bear in mind fashion magazines are sometimes a bit cutting edge for us regular folks to pull off, but this one seems pretty mellow. The only surprise to me is the no-belt suggestion.

http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200707/gq-primer-suit-your-shape-slideshow#slide=1

Note the lack of button-down shirts. No button down shirt w/ a suit & tie IMHO. Here's a button down vs the collar you should wear pic link.

http://eugenekim.net/gqexample2.jpg

Finally, yes wear your clip-on tie, if you want to hang in the corner all evening talking with your buds. If you want to talk to the fairer sex and you are older than 12 walk over to the trash can, not the one inside, go straight to the one outside by the curb, and toss your clip-on in right now.

Have fun.

ProgressoR
06-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Whoa!!

a pocket square is new territory. In my view this is difficult to carry off unless you are very confident, very suave etc. Otherwise it just falls a bit flat. If you wear a tie, it should match the tie.

If just the jacket and no tie, then white is ok, or another strong solid colour that complements the other colours you are wearing.

*breaksracquet
06-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Here are a few slides from GQ to go through...tips for certain body types. Bear in mind fashion magazines are sometimes a bit cutting edge for us regular folks to pull off, but this one seems pretty mellow. The only surprise to me is the no-belt suggestion.

http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/200707/gq-primer-suit-your-shape-slideshow#slide=1

Note the lack of button-down shirts. No button down shirt w/ a suit & tie IMHO. Here's a button down vs the collar you should wear pic link.

Finally, yes wear your clip-on tie, if you want to hang in the corner all evening talking with your buds. If you want to talk to the fairer sex and you are older than 12 walk over to the trash can, not the one inside, go straight to the one outside by the curb, and toss your clip-on in right now.

Have fun.

Good find on the article.:)

TheJRK
06-10-2010, 07:40 AM
The knot on your tie depends on the type of collar your shirt has. Unless you are wearing a spread collar shirt, do not use a Windsor or Double Windsor. Even then, don't use that type of knot unless your head is the size of a basketball. The reason being, that knot is about the size of your fist.

If you are younger and this is not a super formal occasion, just use a 4 in hand knot, simple, sleek and goes with almost any collar type (except spread).

If the lapels on your suit are thin, use a skinny tie, if not... use a regular (width) tie.

Get nice shoes, no square toe or pointy toe, just a regular rounded toe is fine. Brown shoes go with any color suit except for black (and maybe a dark charcoal).

Belt matches your shoes, same color, same material.

Do not wear jewelry. Jewelry for a man is called a watch.

retlod
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
+1 for the Four-In-Hand knot. They key to any good knot is in the dimple just below it. No dimple = crap knot (or crap tie). Button-down collared shirts are fine, just not with a suit or jacket.

Tina
06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey ladies ... let me know your thoughts on how I'm dressing for Saturday night ... is it a hit or a miss ... be honest with me, OK ...

Don't you think your wife should be a part of discussion? I am not a type of person that always look for troubles:)

Kevin T
06-10-2010, 10:19 AM
The knot on your tie depends on the type of collar your shirt has. Unless you are wearing a spread collar shirt, do not use a Windsor or Double Windsor. Even then, don't use that type of knot unless your head is the size of a basketball. The reason being, that knot is about the size of your fist.

If you are younger and this is not a super formal occasion, just use a 4 in hand knot, simple, sleek and goes with almost any collar type (except spread).

If the lapels on your suit are thin, use a skinny tie, if not... use a regular (width) tie.

Get nice shoes, no square toe or pointy toe, just a regular rounded toe is fine. Brown shoes go with any color suit except for black (and maybe a dark charcoal).

This. Also agree that the tie should just hit at the belt buckle. First and foremost, act like you've been there or you "belong" there. Own the room. To be very cheesy...confidence is your #1 accessory.

J011yroger
06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Don't you think your wife should be a part of discussion? I am not a type of person that always look for troubles:)

No, women have no place in men's fashion.

You want to look like a guy who knows how to dress, not a guy who's wife dressed him.

J

J011yroger
06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
OP, as stated before, can't tell you what kind of knot to use unless we know what shirt you are wearing and how big your head is.

Usually four in hand or half Windsor. But if you have a big head and spread collar you can use a full Windsor.

You don't want to get too fancy when it is not a very formal event.

J

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey, everyone ... well, I am overwhelmed ... just checked my posts and ... damn ... almost choked up here ... I just knew I could depend on my TTW friends to help out ... some really EXCELLENT posts and I will try to answer some of them individually ... but to all of you who took the time to post ... and to help me out ... I just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH ... as you can tell, I don't get dressed to the "nines" too often so it will be fun ... also a little stressful ...

Tina
06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey, everyone ... well, I am overwhelmed ... just checked my posts and ... damn ... almost choked up here ... I just knew I could depend on my TTW friends to help out ... some really EXCELLENT posts and I will try to answer some of them individually ... but to all of you who took the time to post ... and to help me out ... I just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH ... as you can tell, I don't get dressed to the "nines" too often so it will be fun ... also a little stressful ...

Honestly, please visit a store of men's warehouse. Sale representatives are quite helpful. My ex-boyfriend looked so sharp after discussing with sale representatives there. Just watched out the items they want you to buy at the store. Hope it helps, my maid of honor:)

*breaksracquet
06-10-2010, 11:35 AM

naw naw naw.... double windsor is not the size of your fist....

+1 for just the watch. If You're not part of the cast of Jersey Shore nor a Sports All-Star, leave it out.

Steve Huff
06-10-2010, 11:50 AM
A windsor knot is not the size of a fist. With a nice silk tie, it's no larger than any other knot. A double windsor may be too big, and you really have a long tie or tie will be difficult to get the length you want. Yes, wear a belt, a black one unless you have a brown suit, which I doubt. If its really that formal, wear a white, cotton, ironed shirt. If it's kind of formal, but you want to look a little more sporty, think about a dark shirt (black if the suit is black pin stripe) and a lighter tie. If it's super formal, think about a small bow tie. If you've got the bucks to spend, buy a shirt that uses cuff links. Try on a few suits. Look at pleated vs non pleated. Haven't seen you, so couldn't begin to tell you which looks best on YOU. Non pleated is probably more formal. Main thing, like others said, be confident and be you. Clothes only accentuate what you feel inside.

Eph
06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Depends on the tie (viz. length) and your body type.

Tie should hang in the middle of your belt buckle.

OrangeOne
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Way too much stress here on the knot. Tie whatever knot makes you feel comfortable, both in tying and how it looks.

Davis937
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey everyone ... thanks for all of the posts and suggestions ... got some real clothes horses here ... I'm impressed, as usual, with the expertise we have here on TTW ... you guys and ladies are GREAT ... anyway, I'm off to the airport now but will respond later tonight ... yeah, as mentioned it's going to be a double birthday party at one of the nicer country clubs ... I DO want to look good ... OK ... the story behind the story ... one of my ex's is going to be there ... well, not just one ... maybe THE one ... I had more passion and love for her than any of the other women I've been with ... I loved everything about her ... you know the routine ... that relationship opened my eyes to the expression that love is not quite enough ... it was a problematic relationship (... love and passion aside) ... that was ... hmmm 10 years ago now ... but she has remarried (... and I'm happy for her) ... I just want to look good ... I know I am going to be nervous around her ... I'm getting sweaty palms already ... I hate to say this but I think I still love her ... I know ... I know ... I've moved on too ... but it was soooo nice with her (... well, those good times we shared, at least) ... it's easy to forget all of the difficult times, no?

Tina
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
it's easy to forget all of the difficult times, no?

No wonder you are not sharing your location with us at TTW. You have a big secret in life:). Good Luck!!!

Breaker
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Way too much stress here on the knot. Tie whatever knot makes you feel comfortable, both in tying and how it looks.

False, I've chosen all of my friends based on the type of knot they wear.

CanadianChic
06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
I have always been a fan of casual attire on men but if you feel for the occasion you should wear a suit so be it. Is it a lightweight cotton or linen suit? I agree as well that too much is being placed on the knot. No one cares, really they don't. I also agree that if you are wearing a jacket you need a long sleeved shirt and the tie should be just above the pant line. Don't think that no one will notice white socks....wear black. BTW...what colour is the tie? Orange is very in right now but that colour may be a little too daring for you. ;)

Now if I may suggest that you wear a non scented deodorant to this affair? If there is dancing you will want to apply more than usual and a strongly scented deodorant can overpower the area. Don't go too heavy on the cologne (you want to draw them in, not repel them) and mess up the hair a little. It's summer - have fun!

OrangeOne
06-10-2010, 08:27 PM

lol, nice :)

OrangeOne
06-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey everyone ... thanks for all of the posts and suggestions ... got some real clothes horses here ... I'm impressed, as usual, with the expertise we have here on TTW ... you guys and ladies are GREAT ... anyway, I'm off to the airport now but will respond later tonight ... yeah, as mentioned it's going to be a double birthday party at one of the nicer country clubs ... I DO want to look good ... OK ... the story behind the story ... one of my ex's is going to be there ... well, not just one ... maybe THE one ... I had more passion and love for her than any of the other women I've been with ... I loved everything about her ... you know the routine ... that relationship opened my eyes to the expression that love is not quite enough ... it was a problematic relationship (... love and passion aside) ... that was ... hmmm 10 years ago now ... but she has remarried (... and I'm happy for her) ... I just want to look good ... I know I am going to be nervous around her ... I'm getting sweaty palms already ... I hate to say this but I think I still love her ... I know ... I know ... I've moved on too ... but it was soooo nice with her (... well, those good times we shared, at least) ... it's easy to forget all of the difficult times, no?

Umm, err, gee I hope your wife never reads this forum, or that you're bizarrely as honest with her as you are above!

OneMoreShot
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Look at other colors of shirts besides plain white. I know it is very traditional but there are many, many options.

Full windsor knot, just at top of belt, spread color on the shirt, cuff links

TheLoneWolf
06-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey ... got a big event Saturday night so I want to look really good ... was wondering what's the preferred way to tie/knot one's tie ... I like the "regular" knot ... my buddies are saying I should use the "Windsor" knot ... what do you guys (... and ladies too) think ... also ... now this is also pretty "controversial" ... how far down should one's tie hang ... some people say the bottom should hit one's belt ... others say ... the tie should fall below the belt ... survey says? Thanks for the help!! ** smile ** and I promise to wear a long sleeve white shirt with my suite (... I'll leave the short sleeve shirt at home that night, OK) ... hope the ladies will dance with me ...
Make sure you don't have any ketchup stains on your tie. Nothing says class like a tie without ketchup IMO.

Davis937
06-10-2010, 09:59 PM

But - more importantly - do not forget your extremities - hair and shoes. Many people will initially assess you on hair and shoes, and skip everything else in between. First impressions count. Maybe some Oliver Sweeneys with a matching belt? What's your budget like?

Thanks, Pimp ... now I'm getting confusing instructions ... some people saying above the belt, others even with the belt, and others say the tie should fall below the belt line ... help?

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:00 PM
wear a belt of course, even if its covered, u will no doubt be put in a position where your belt-less trousers will be showing, not a good look, they are more of an accessory as opposed to functional and u may as well go naked if u dont have one

Thanks, Lame ... OK ... definitely will use a belt ...

OrangeOne
06-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Pimp ... now I'm getting confusing instructions ... some people saying above the belt, others even with the belt, and others say the tie should fall below the belt line ... help?

Chill, man, chill. As you move, the tie will move anyways.

Ties should never fall below the belt line, it looks sloppy. Make a choice as to whether you want it just fractionally above the belt or around the middle of it based on what you like, what you think looks good (we're talking about around an inch of difference here anyways).

The only real faux pas to be made was no belt, and short sleeve shirt. People have helped you avoid those. Some of this needs to actually be you, not just a photo you manufacture.

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM

Shiny shoes, is a must too.

Simple belt with simple buckle, no cowboy style buckles. Belt to match shoes, cant go wrong with black.

Hey ProgessoR ... *smile* ... now, don't be giving me ideas about the belt!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Double Windsor, only the pros know this knot, and puts all other knots to shame. It looks wwwaaaayyyy more professional than the windsor and during conversation, wives will point out to there husbands stating that's how you tie a tie (i know this knot) ;-). Leave bow-ties to Carlton Winslow, only a select few can pull that look off. if you don't look like Justin Timberlake, don't go that route.

Edit: the tie should hang only to the top of the belt buckle. as you sit, your tie shouldn't hang past the "bulge" in your pants. the tie should only rest on the bulge/fly seem.

have to agree with the two button jacket, possibly sports coat if at CC occasion. grey is safe and matches just about any color but orange and yellow. dark/midnight blue will set you apart from the rest of the folks. Beige/tan/khaki I can guess will be the trend and if you want to blend, it's a safe bet.

shoes, medium square toe, not too wide, don't want the shoes to look like duck bills. Johnston & Murphy comes to mind or shoes, classy shiek. black, brown, white, so many to choose, color should match the belt tho.

Belt- Again, try to match it with the shoes. it's a safe play. I prefer the buckle to be solid, not a ring type buckle. belts are relatively inexpensive and a quality designer belt can be found at TJMaxx and Marshalls.

Hey racquetbreaker ... thank you for the very detailed and comprehensive post ... now you really got me stressed out ... and I thought this dressing up was going to be something fairly simple ... silly me ... hey, are you serious about this "double windsor" or are you just joshing me ... my god ... it sounds like the knot is going to be about half the size of my face!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:20 PM
With a gray pinstripe....?

Bright white long sleeve, 100% cotton, medium starched, shirt.

Small knot in a muted color that comes to the middle of your belt while standing.

Black belt, nothing fancy in the buckle - you're not a rodeo rider.

Black lace up shoe - J&M, Cole Haan.

Hint - if you're unsure on the knot to wear, go to decent men's store, Nordstrom, Jos Bank, etc. and ask the associate to help you tie the knot. they'll show you and you can even loosen it, take it off, and leave tied to put back on that night.

Hey Wilson ... thanks for the post ... you must know me ... I like the suggestion regarding "saving my already tied tie" for the big night ... good thinking ... now, I like your tie to the belt ... I was always taught it should hang just a little lower ... can't get much consensus on the tie length ... we're all over the place with that ... hmmm ... "a decent men's store" ... I guess my friendly Walgreens and KMart wouldn't work, huh ... those ties they wear look awfully nice with their short sleeve shirts and vests!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Have fun.

Hey Hiker ... I really like your post ... it definitely put a huge SMILE on my face and reduced my stress level ... significantly ... see, I wasn't too far off when I suggested going beltless (GQ recommended or not) ... OK ... I am putting away my button down shirt (... my frat days are over ... remember ... button down shirt, levis, and a sports jacket) ...I guess I'll toss my clip on ... yeah, I do want to talk ... and dance ... with the ladies ... to hell with my buds ... see enough of them on the courts!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Whoa!!

a pocket square is new territory. In my view this is difficult to carry off unless you are very confident, very suave etc. Otherwise it just falls a bit flat. If you wear a tie, it should match the tie.

If just the jacket and no tie, then white is ok, or another strong solid colour that complements the other colours you are wearing.

Yeah ... some good advice, Wilson, but the pocket handkerchief is just not me ... an apricot colored ascot maybe (that Carly Simon song "You're so vain" keeps running through my head) ... but not the silk square ... thanks!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:36 PM

Hey Jrk ... thanks for the post ... btw ... I really like your avatar ... anyone we know ... no jewelry, huh ... guess I'm going to have to deep six my Mr. T necklaces/medallions ... I thought they were pretty discreet ... but ... maybe not for the country club scene ... yeah, the double windsor also got my attention ... sounds cumbersome and heavy (... the weight would probably keep pulling my head down all night) ... hmmm ... I was going to wear brown shoes ... I have a pin stripe gray/charcoal suit ... the shoes are DARK brown .. would that be OK ... come to think of it ... my belt is also dark brown ... belt and shoes definitely match.

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:43 PM
+1 for the Four-In-Hand knot. They key to any good knot is in the dimple just below it. No dimple = crap knot (or crap tie). Button-down collared shirts are fine, just not with a suit or jacket.

Hey retlod ... thanks ... yeah, what exactly is this "four-in-hand" knot ... is that what they call a "regular" knot ... I'm not going to go with the Windsor ... thanks for the dimple rule ... I have a silk tie so that should sit nicely ... never realized that about the "dimple" before ... one dimple in my chin is sufficient, I suppose ... no sense dazzling the ladies with two ... yeah, I decided to do away with the button down shirt ... wish me luck!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:45 PM

Hey sweet Tina ... thanks for checking in ... I knew I could count on you ... and ... that would be my ex-wife ... we've been split for a few years now ... no, you're not interfering in any of my relationships ... real ... or ... imagined *smile*!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
This. Also agree that the tie should just hit at the belt buckle. First and foremost, act like you've been there or you "belong" there. Own the room. To be very cheesy...confidence is your #1 accessory.

Hey KT ... thanks for the post ... yeah, CONFIDENCE ... like it's break point, I'm down 4-5 in the third set, and I'm hitting my second serve (... and it's a windy day) ... yeah ... go Davis **smile** !!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 10:54 PM
No, women have no place in men's fashion.

You want to look like a guy who knows how to dress, not a guy who's wife dressed him.

J

Hey, guys, Tina is a friend ... she's definitely welcome ... naw, I do appreciate the input of the ladies ...
OP, as stated before, can't tell you what kind of knot to use unless we know what shirt you are wearing and how big your head is.

Wearing a pinstripe gray/charcoal suit ... two buttons ... have't selected the tie yet ... a silk one ... wear a size 7 1/4 cap ... will be wearing a straight collar shirt (... was thinking button down but got booed off this thread with that one ... was also going to wear a clip on tie but the posters would not accept that)
Usually four in hand or half Windsor. But if you have a big head and spread collar you can use a full Windsor.

You don't want to get too fancy when it is not a very formal event.

probably considered a semi-formal event ... definitely suits preferred (over sport coats) ... yeah, a nice event at one of the nicer country clubs ... no, I never play there ... as you can see from the discussion ... I'm a public courts kind of guy!
J

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Honestly, please visit a store of men's warehouse. Sale representatives are quite helpful. My ex-boyfriend looked so sharp after discussing with sale representatives there. Just watched out the items they want you to buy at the store. Hope it helps, my maid of honor:)

Hey sweet Tina ... yeah, thanks for the suggestions ... I'm not really welcome at a lot of the stores around here ... evidently I scare away too many of the patrons ... sales representatives are not my best friends ... some of them just get too "touchy" ... thanks, anyway!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM
A windsor knot is not the size of a fist. With a nice silk tie, it's no larger than any other knot. A double windsor may be too big, and you really have a long tie or tie will be difficult to get the length you want. Yes, wear a belt, a black one unless you have a brown suit, which I doubt. If its really that formal, wear a white, cotton, ironed shirt. If it's kind of formal, but you want to look a little more sporty, think about a dark shirt (black if the suit is black pin stripe) and a lighter tie. If it's super formal, think about a small bow tie. If you've got the bucks to spend, buy a shirt that uses cuff links. Try on a few suits. Look at pleated vs non pleated. Haven't seen you, so couldn't begin to tell you which looks best on YOU. Non pleated is probably more formal. Main thing, like others said, be confident and be you. Clothes only accentuate what you feel inside.

Hey Steve ... thanks for the suggestions and words of encouragement ... yeah, I'm looking at a half windsor at this point ... I agree ... the double windsor sounds over the top ... it will be a semi formal event so will be using my basic suit ... pinstripes gray/charcoal ... 100 percent cotton long sleeve white shirt ... I have a dark brown belt and dark brown shoes ... some people are saying NO to that ... I'm not sure ... will go with a silk tie but not sure of color/pattern yet ... yeah, I'm definitely getting a little stressed ... hard to feel "cool" when you're not (rueful smile on my face).

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Depends on the tie (viz. length) and your body type.

Tie should hang in the middle of your belt buckle.

Hey Eph ... yeah ... looks like I'm going with the half windsor at this point ... I am of average build ... still no consensus on the length of the tie ... some people are saying the tie should fall above the belt ... others, right at the belt line ... still others say tie should fall just below the belt line ... I'm confused ... and stressed!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:11 PM
No wonder you are not sharing your location with us at TTW. You have a big secret in life:). Good Luck!!!

Yeah ... I have too many people looking for me ... I fly better when I fly under the radar ... thanks, Tina!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:13 PM

Hey, Breaker ... that's knot very sporting of you!

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I have always been a fan of casual attire on men but if you feel for the occasion you should wear a suit so be it. Is it a lightweight cotton or linen suit? I agree as well that too much is being placed on the knot. No one cares, really they don't. I also agree that if you are wearing a jacket you need a long sleeved shirt and the tie should be just above the pant line. Don't think that no one will notice white socks....wear black. BTW...what colour is the tie? Orange is very in right now but that colour may be a little too daring for you. ;)

Now if I may suggest that you wear a non scented deodorant to this affair? If there is dancing you will want to apply more than usual and a strongly scented deodorant can overpower the area. Don't go too heavy on the cologne (you want to draw them in, not repel them) and mess up the hair a little. It's summer - have fun!

Hey, Chic ... good to hear from you ... thanks for checking in ... and I do appreciate your informative and sweet post ... I'll be wearing a pinstripe gray/charcoal suit ... two buttons ... the suit is wool ... the gang here wants me to wear a long sleeve white shirt, straight collar (no buttons) ... definitely wearing a silk tie but not sure of the color/pattern yet (... was thinking about an apricot colored ascot, so there), I'm trying to get away with wearing a dark brown belt and dark brown shoes (... they match) but I'm not sure this crowd here will let me get away with that ... I've been warned to leave my gold medallions at home (... I've been warned ... no jewelry ... not even my ear piercings) ... I was going to use the remaining half of my English Leather ... but I guess I'll have to re-think that ... oh, yeah.. Chic, give me your frank thoughts ... I always have about a three day growth of whiskers on my face (... it's accepted at work) ... I like my swathy, rough look ... what do you think ... not so cool for slow dancing? wish I could dance one with you ...

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Umm, err, gee I hope your wife never reads this forum, or that you're bizarrely as honest with her as you are above!

Nasty rumors abound regarding me ... just to set the record straight ... I am not married ... been divorced for a few years now ... laugh ... wouldn't it be something if my ex-wife also ended up at this affair ...

Davis937
06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Make sure you don't have any ketchup stains on your tie. Nothing says class like a tie without ketchup IMO.

Hey Wolf ... smile ... yeah, I guess it depends if its Hunts or Heinz ... I like your avatar ... one of my all time favorite movies ... a real classic!

Ash_Smith
06-11-2010, 12:52 AM
My 2 pence...

Belt - simple, if your trousers have belt loops - you wear a belt. Tailored suits have no belt loops because they fit perfectly. Off the rack suits have belt loops, so you wear a belt!

Shoes - Accessories must match, belt = shoes! Compliment your suit - brown and charcoal is not for my taste!

Tie - Nothing "amusing" - stick to solid colour or textured. Stripes will look like an "Public School" or "Club" Tie which may not be the look you're after. Personally I like black with a charcoal suit, maybe with a textured finish to break up the lines a little (see D&G or Armani for inspiration). Knot - if you want to spend all night telling people how you tied a fancy knot then go for a double windsor or whatever, other wise go with a four in hand or simple windsor and nobody will really care anyway!

Shirt - white, long sleeve, double button cuff or cuff-links if possible (again - no "ammusing" cufflinks!). Standard collar will be fine, no need for a double button collar or anything fancy (they look better open neck anyway). Cuffs should just be visable below your jacket sleeves when standing normally (a cm or so below).

Accessories - pocket square to match your tie or white to match shirt if going black tie. Watches say alot about the man - wearing your casio G-Shock won't cut it :) Steel bracelet or leather strap, nice clean lines or don't wear one. Carry only essentials, no wallet just notes folded - anything chunky will ruin the line of your suit.

Follow this rough guide and you'll look like you just stepped off Saville Row (our US friends may need to look this up!!!)

Hope it helps

Ash

rommil
06-11-2010, 06:48 AM

I don't like wearing ties so I can't give you Windsorian tips. I read through most of the post here and it seems there's so much stress to the details lol. I'd say go for what is more comfortable for you, especially that your ex is there. You don't to look like you are trying too much you will end up looking stiff. Get a nice blazer and sleek pants(flat not pleated front) and maybe a cool shirt underneath, a bit opened at the top( or unbutton all the way down if you want to make a statement lol). And yeah, none of those woven looking belts. Uggh.
It would help if we know your height and weight and maybe age. But in the end, comfort and fit wins and style as well, even if you don't have to wear a tie...............

rommil
06-11-2010, 06:52 AM
My 2 pence...

Belt - simple, if your trousers have belt loops - you wear a belt. Tailored suits have no belt loops because they fit perfectly. Off the rack suits have belt loops, so you wear a belt!

Shoes - Accessories must match, belt = shoes! Compliment your suit - brown and charcoal is not for my taste!

Tie - Nothing "amusing" - stick to solid colour or textured. Stripes will look like an "Public School" or "Club" Tie which may not be the look you're after. Personally I like black with a charcoal suit, maybe with a textured finish to break up the lines a little (see D&G or Armani for inspiration). Knot - if you want to spend all night telling people how you tied a fancy knot then go for a double windsor or whatever, other wise go with a four in hand or simple windsor and nobody will really care anyway!

Shirt - white, long sleeve, double button cuff or cuff-links if possible (again - no "ammusing" cufflinks!). Standard collar will be fine, no need for a double button collar or anything fancy (they look better open neck anyway). Cuffs should just be visable below your jacket sleeves when standing normally (a cm or so below).

Accessories - pocket square to match your tie or white to match shirt if going black tie. Watches say alot about the man - wearing your casio G-Shock won't cut it :) Steel bracelet or leather strap, nice clean lines or don't wear one. Carry only essentials, no wallet just notes folded - anything chunky will ruin the line of your suit.

Follow this rough guide and you'll look like you just stepped off Saville Row (our US friends may need to look this up!!!)

Hope it helps

Ash

Saville Row would only be exciting if Alexander McQueen was still in it. I don't care if he stitches some foul words in my jacket lol.

And I typed that without even looking it up hehe....

athiker
06-11-2010, 07:52 AM
I gotta chime in one more time.

Don't sweat the knot...jeez...never seen so much talk about what kind of knot! You were about to head out the door in a short sleeve button down shirt with a clip-on for heaven's sake!...the type of knot on your now nice silk tie is waaaay down the list of your worries. :)

Tie length...I like the tip just about the middle of my belt but the main thing is don't have it so short there is a couple inch gap between the bottom of your tie and your belt. This is especially true if you are carrying a bit of extra weight around the 'ole midsection. Just avoid a gap and you're fine.

Since you plan to dance, definitely a good move to ditch the short sleeve shirt...its highly likely you will ditch the jacket at some point if there is a lot of dancing and you want a nice shirt under there...no short sleeves.

Along the lines of what CC mentioned, and especially if this is a afternoon country club affair a light weight and even a light colored suit would be appropriate...it is summer after all.

If your suit is dark grey and especially if this is an evening event I would avoid the brown belt and shoes if at all possible. Just remember when you are out buying all this new stuff, if you buy classic looking, quality stuff it will last you many, many years.

And the confidence factor someone mentioned? The clothes don't make the man, but they can give him a gentle push in the right direction. Oh, and take your suit and shirt to the cleaners and get them freshly pressed. You'll never get them looking the same at home as a shop will.

Funny you referenced frat parties and button downs...I almost mentioned that in my first post. :lol: Seriously though, once you head out the door, forget your clothes and just have fun.

athiker
06-11-2010, 08:04 AM
If your suit is dark grey and especially if this is an evening event I would avoid the brown belt and shoes if at all possible. Just remember when you are out buying all this new stuff, if you buy classic looking, quality stuff it will last you many, many years.

Well, I guess grey suit/brown shoes is quite topic in internet land. I still kind of stick with what I wrote above re: dark grey suits in the evening but I guess brown is considered pretty stylish with light grey suits and maybe even dark grey. It still seems like an afternoon kind of thing to me vs formal evening, and light vs dark grey, but I don't know, I guess its pretty popular.

Here's bit on tie length...basically jives with what I wrote: http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentAttachmentView_-1_10601_10051__10715_10709_ProperTieLength.html

TheLoneWolf
06-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey Wolf ... smile ... yeah, I guess it depends if its Hunts or Heinz ... I like your avatar ... one of my all time favorite movies ... a real classic!
I agree, great movie. :)

Ash_Smith
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Saville Row would only be exciting if Alexander McQueen was still in it. I don't care if he stitches some foul words in my jacket lol.

And I typed that without even looking it up hehe....

The irony there is that McQueen worked at Gieves and Hawkes who were (until recently) one of the most traditional and stuffy tailors on the Row!

Ash

rommil
06-11-2010, 01:18 PM
The irony there is that McQueen worked at Gieves and Hawkes who were (until recently) one of the most traditional and stuffy tailors on the Row!

Ash

Oh yeah and he reportedly stitched the phrase "I am a cvnt" on the lining of Prince Charles' jacket when Lee worked in SR. Haha that is such classic!

So there you go Mr OP, just skip the traditional stiff look and wear a McQueen ensemble. That will show your ex lol.

Hot Sauce
06-11-2010, 01:53 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_C5vZ_X8T8TM/SKq6md1veJI/AAAAAAAAAQA/h3PdA_qFVfk/s320/mar2708-exacto.jpg

Davis937
06-11-2010, 03:23 PM
My 2 pence...

Hope it helps

Ash

Hey Ash ... thank you very much for taking the time to post ... damn, you guys-es know your stuff ... I'm impressed ...I'm also starting to get pretty stressed out ... I felt more comfortable when I had on my short sleeve shirt and clip on tie ... well, I'm definitely not going to wear any kind of "comical" tie ... and no stripes in my tie ... haven't picked out tie yet but it will be silk ... will be wearing a long sleeve white shirt (no collar buttons) but no cuff links (... just not me) ... the same with the pocket square ... I was going to wear my sweat ladened leather wrist band with studs ... but that just might be a little too much "A-Teamish" for the country club crowd ... well, I'm definitely not Saville Row (... possibly, cannery row) ... thanks again!

Davis937
06-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't like wearing ties so I can't give you Windsorian tips. I read through most of the post here and it seems there's so much stress to the details lol. I'd say go for what is more comfortable for you, especially that your ex is there. You don't to look like you are trying too much you will end up looking stiff. Get a nice blazer and sleek pants(flat not pleated front) and maybe a cool shirt underneath, a bit opened at the top( or unbutton all the way down if you want to make a statement lol). And yeah, none of those woven looking belts. Uggh.
It would help if we know your height and weight and maybe age. But in the end, comfort and fit wins and style as well, even if you don't have to wear a tie...............

Hey rommil thanks for checking in ... yeah, I hear what you're saying but I do need to wear a suit to the event ... and ... I will keep the shirt buttoned ... all the way lol ... thanks for the tip on the woven belt ... gulp, how did you know I had one of those ... huh ... two of those ...

Davis937
06-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I gotta chime in one more time.

Don't sweat the knot...jeez...never seen so much talk about what kind of knot! You were about to head out the door in a short sleeve button down shirt with a clip-on for heaven's sake!...the type of knot on your now nice silk tie is waaaay down the list of your worries. :)

Tie length...I like the tip just about the middle of my belt but the main thing is don't have it so short there is a couple inch gap between the bottom of your tie and your belt. This is especially true if you are carrying a bit of extra weight around the 'ole midsection. Just avoid a gap and you're fine.

Since you plan to dance, definitely a good move to ditch the short sleeve shirt...its highly likely you will ditch the jacket at some point if there is a lot of dancing and you want a nice shirt under there...no short sleeves.

Along the lines of what CC mentioned, and especially if this is a afternoon country club affair a light weight and even a light colored suit would be appropriate...it is summer after all.

And the confidence factor someone mentioned? The clothes don't make the man, but they can give him a gentle push in the right direction. Oh, and take your suit and shirt to the cleaners and get them freshly pressed. You'll never get them looking the same at home as a shop will.

Funny you referenced frat parties and button downs...I almost mentioned that in my first post. :lol: Seriously though, once you head out the door, forget your clothes and just have fun.

Hey Hiker ... thank you very much for the advice ... yeah, finally settled (FINALLY) on the knot ... will use the half windsor aka four in hand knot ... tie length sounds good -- will go with tie down to middle of belt (yes, I will wear one) ... good point about taking off my jacket to dance (... I hadn't thought about that ) - I will have a nice LONG SLEEVE white shirt (... is it cool to loosen the tie while dancing ... I think the "loose tie thing" looks good!) ... yeah, it is an evening affair so I guess my pinstripe gray/charcoal suit is OK ... I think I will still use my dark brown belt and shoes ... they match, no ... so, what frat? Thanks again ...

Davis937
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, I guess grey suit/brown shoes is quite topic in internet land. I still kind of stick with what I wrote above re: dark grey suits in the evening but I guess brown is considered pretty stylish with light grey suits and maybe even dark grey. It still seems like an afternoon kind of thing to me vs formal evening, and light vs dark grey, but I don't know, I guess its pretty popular.

Here's bit on tie length...basically jives with what I wrote: http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentAttachmentView_-1_10601_10051__10715_10709_ProperTieLength.html

Hey Hiker just saw this post ... yeah, as mentioned ... I think I'm still going to go with the dark brown belt and similar colored shoes ... does it matter if the shoes are "loafers" or do I need tie-ons ...

mikro112
06-11-2010, 08:49 PM
+1 for Double Windsor

+1 for just slighty above the belt

+1 for actually wearing a belt

x2

The double windsor imho ONLY if your tie is of a regular shape. If it's a modern slim tie, use the Four in Hand Knot (http://www.tie-a-tie.net/fourinhand.html) or the Pratt Knot (http://www.tie-a-tie.net/pratt.html).

BorisBeckerFan
06-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Most important thing you can do is to get everything tailored. Find a reputable tailor and let him advise you. Nothing impresses more than clothes that fit perfectly. Nothing to tight, nothing to loose. I'm not saying that the knot you use and tie length don't matter but if you want to look like a million bucks go see a good tailor. Could be the difference between looking like James Bond and a d-bag.

Davis937
06-12-2010, 01:33 AM
x2

The double windsor imho ONLY if your tie is of a regular shape. If it's a modern slim tie, use the Four in Hand Knot (http://www.tie-a-tie.net/fourinhand.html) or the Pratt Knot (http://www.tie-a-tie.net/pratt.html).

Hey mikro ... thanks for posting ... yeah, I decided to go with the four in hand knot (also called the half windsor) ... at one point some posters were really pushing for the double windsor, but the consensus was that would have resulted in a fairly large knot!

Davis937
06-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Most important thing you can do is to get everything tailored. Find a reputable tailor and let him advise you. Nothing impresses more than clothes that fit perfectly. Nothing to tight, nothing to loose. I'm not saying that the knot you use and tie length don't matter but if you want to look like a million bucks go see a good tailor. Could be the difference between looking like James Bond and a d-bag.

Hey Beck ... well, one vote for the d-bag ... thanks for the advice but I just don't have the time (... or the resources) to go the tailor route ... I'll try and make do with what I have and hope my charm and good looks come through for me this evening *smile* ... thanks, though!

BorisBeckerFan
06-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Charm goes a long way with the ladies. Good luck!

Davis937
06-12-2010, 01:43 AM
So, OK ... I need some female advice (... ok, you guys can also chime in) ... I'm all dressed to the nines for this country club affair ... what's the best way to approach my ex ... any opening lines for me ... oh, btw ... she'll be there with her "new" husband ... trying to avoid an "awkward" situation ... I'm nervous about seeing her ... and, no, I will be going stag to the party (... my two adult daughters don't count, do they) ... help, I'm getting nervous ...

Oh, yeah, you ladies never responded to my earlier query (hey guys, you can also respond to this) ... I mentioned earlier that I always have about a two or three day old growth of whiskers on my face (... yeah, work is cool and they allow the guys to do this ... no, not the women) ... my question, do I need to shave for this party ... I kinda like my rough and roguish look ... not good for slow dancing ... your thoughts and comments are welcome!

OrangeOne
06-12-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm no female, but here are my replies:

a. Smile, say hello, introduce yourself to the husband, be confident. Have a story about one of your daughters prepped. Don't hang around, have an exit plan.

b. Shave. No question. It's as easy an answer as the long sleeve answer was.

CanadianChic
06-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Hmmm...let's see. I would not approach her but I wouldn't avoid her either. You will find yourself next to her at one point or another and unless you have her zoomed in on radar it, the encounter will likely happen when you aren't prepared. If I were you, the first time you make eye contact across the room, raise your drink and give a half smile. Not a sneer or a smirk, and certainly not a cheshire cat grin). Just a half smile as a hello to an old friend who knows your secrets.

Then, when you find yourself next to her and she looks at you keep it simple. "Hi, how are you?" is all you need to say. She will either be curt and move along which tells you she has no interest in engaging in small talk with you, or else she will continue the conversation. Be natural and honest (although I don't think pulling a printed copy of your 'I love her still' post out of your pocket would be appropriate. Don't prepare a speech - it will come off as awkward and desperate...not to mention disingenuine. There is always a chance she is a little nervous about seeing you again. Just remember that she does have the upper hand in that she is married so play it cool and friendly and you'll be just fine.

As for the facial hair you seem to be fond of it so keep it. There is no reason to shave if you are going solo to the soiree. Personally, facial hair would not dissuade me from dancing with someone although it is a deal breaker when it comes to kissing.

CanadianChic
06-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Duplicate post.

OrangeOne
06-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Hmmm...let's see. I would not approach her but I wouldn't avoid her either. You will find yourself next to her at one point or another and unless you have her zoomed in on radar it, the encounter will likely happen when you aren't prepared. If I were you, the first time you make eye contact across the room, raise your drink and give a half smile. Not a sneer or a smirk, and certainly not a cheshire cat grin). Just a half smile as a hello to an old friend who knows your secrets.

I don't mind that at all, good advice.

Then, when you find yourself next to her and she looks at you keep it simple. "Hi, how are you?" is all you need to say. She will either be curt and move along which tells you she has no interest in engaging in small talk with you, or else she will continue the conversation. Be natural and honest (although I don't think pulling a printed copy of your 'I love her still' post out of your pocket would be appropriate. Don't prepare a speech - it will come off as awkward and desperate...not to mention disingenuine. That may or may not be a reference to me saying 'prep a story'. If it's not, then all can ignore this. If it is, then I should clarify. I simply meant - have an anecdote ready. The worst thing when meeting an ex or someone from the past - especially one who has a partner and when you happen to be flying solo - is to get into a spot where you have nothing to say. Being able to say "I just went to Jackie's graduation" is a lot better than "Errr, umm, I watch a lot of TV". That's all I meant, have an anecdote to hand.... it can be a great deflection to the question "how are you doing?".

There is always a chance she is a little nervous about seeing you again. Just remember that she does have the upper hand in that she is married so play it cool and friendly and you'll be just fine.It's only an upper hand if he chooses to let it be!

As for the facial hair you seem to be fond of it so keep it. There is no reason to shave if you are going solo to the soiree. Personally, facial hair would not dissuade me from dancing with someone although it is a deal breaker when it comes to kissing.It goes against 'looking sharp'*, the very modus operandi of this thread!

I often day-to-day do the unshaven thing (I just hate dragging a sharp razor over my precious skin ;), but it is just usually* a no go in a formal situation. The shirt will often be 'huesen, the suit will be 'cardin, and the face will be shaved within an inch of its life (many hours before to allow skin to settle and shine).

*Again, unless you have the confidence, looks and hair / accessories to pull off a pitt / brosnan / clooney look. I can probably do it 1 time in 10, but on the whole, no!

CanadianChic
06-12-2010, 03:26 AM
That may or may not be a reference to me saying 'prep a story'. If it's not, then all can ignore this. If it is, then I should clarify. I simply meant - have an anecdote ready. The worst thing when meeting an ex or someone from the past - especially one who has a partner and when you happen to be flying solo - is to get into a spot where you have nothing to say. Being able to say "I just went to Jackie's graduation" is a lot better than "Errr, umm, I watch a lot of TV". That's all I meant, have an anecdote to hand.... it can be a great deflection to the question "how are you doing?".

Nope, not a reference at all. I was typing as you posted and then left the computer for a minute. I was also thinking he could always bring up his daughters as an ice breaker. They are adults and he dated this woman ten years ago so it is a sake topic to bring up.

*Again, unless you have the confidence, looks and hair / accessories to pull off a pitt / brosnan / clooney look. I can probably do it 1 time in 10, but on the whole, no!

This is a tough one. I think scruff looks sexy on some men but I really stress the 'some'. I also agree that a clean shaven face is nice at events such as this but if he can pull it off (IOW, it is trimmed and shaped) then I don't think there is any harm. Mind you...as I stated, kissing is a definate no unless it is far from the lips so if he were my date I would be offering much different advice. lol.

Davis937
06-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm no female, but here are my replies:

a. Smile, say hello, introduce yourself to the husband, be confident. Have a story about one of your daughters prepped. Don't hang around, have an exit plan.
b. Shave. No question. It's as easy an answer as the long sleeve answer was.

Hey Orange ... thanks for the comments ... yeah, an exit plan sounds like a good idea ... shaving ... hmmm ... I'm not quite sure yet ... I need to say how I feel ... and how I look when I'm dressed ... I'll play it by ear (...or should I say chin/cheeks) ... yeah, that was bad ... blame it on my anxiety!

Davis937
06-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Then, when you find yourself next to her and she looks at you keep it simple. "Hi, how are you?" is all you need to say. She will either be curt and move along which tells you she has no interest in engaging in small talk with you, or else she will continue the conversation. Be natural and honest (although I don't think pulling a printed copy of your 'I love her still' post out of your pocket would be appropriate. Don't prepare a speech - it will come off as awkward and desperate...not to mention disingenuine. There is always a chance she is a little nervous about seeing you again. Just remember that she does have the upper hand in that she is married so play it cool and friendly and you'll be just fine.

As for the facial hair you seem to be fond of it so keep it. There is no reason to shave if you are going solo to the soiree. Personally, facial hair would not dissuade me from dancing with someone although it is a deal breaker when it comes to kissing.

Hey, Chic ... thanks for checking in (knew I could count on you) ... as usual, your comments were thoughtful and reasonable ... yeah, good idea ... definitely try not to make a bee line for her as soon as I see her ... I like your suggestion of catching her eye and raising the glass (... sounds cool) ... and I will definitely avoid "stalking" or "circling" her ... not cool, right ... yes, I will introduce myself to her husband ... or let her do that if the situation is there ... and as you suggest, I probably should not profess my undying love for her (kinda inappropriate, right) ... yeah, I know everything will be enjoyable and cool ... I loved her but it never quite worked out ... we've moved on ... and ... I am happy for her happiness ... just a bit rueful because the blame definitely lay more with me ... anyway, Chic, as usual I'm grateful for your thoughts and best wishes ... thanks ... and wish me luck!

p.s. I'm still undecided about shaving ... kinda leaning toward not shaving ... that's me ... and all of my friends see me as such ... no kiss, huh ... hmmm ... would definitely shave for you Ms. Chic ... *smile* !!

Ash_Smith
06-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Just for reference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JjPjKuYr4s&feature=related

Ash

Oh...and if you normally have a bit of stubble on the go then run with it - just give it a trim on the morning to keep it tidy - I haven't been clean shaven since I was about 16!

Tina
06-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Tonight, our Davis, is going to look great ^_^. All the best, my maid of honor!!!!

Davis937
06-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Tonight, our Davis, is going to look great ^_^. All the best, my maid of honor!!!!

Thanks, sweet Tina!

Davis937
06-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Hey, posters ... just want to say thank you to all of you who took the time to post and provide me with some well needed information and advice regarding my dress, grooming, and demeanor for the party ... I'm also really grateful for the words of encouragement ... yeah, we have some real clothes and grooming experts on TTW ... why am I not surprised ... it's amazing the collective knowledge and expertise there is out there in TTW land *smile* ... Thanks again, everyone!

OrangeOne
06-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Hey, posters ... just want to say thank you to all of you who took the time to post and provide me with some well needed information and advice regarding my dress, grooming, and demeanor for the party ... I'm also really grateful for the words of encouragement ... yeah, we have some real clothes and grooming experts on TTW ... why am I not surprised ... it's amazing the collective knowledge and expertise there is out there in TTW land *smile* ... Thanks again, everyone!

What .... no review ... ?

ProgressoR
06-14-2010, 02:23 AM
yes, more info please, did you pull?

OrangeOne
06-14-2010, 02:49 AM
yes, more info please, did you pull?

Translation: Pull (in the UK) = Pickup (In Australia and I think the US).

When I moved to the UK, and someone said "so, are you going out on the Pull tonight?", I was a fraction confused :p

Davis937
06-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Well, I survived the Saturday evening event at the country club ... my attire for the night: charcoal gray pinstripe Calvin Klein suit (two button), white long sleeve Armani shirt (no collar buttons and no cuff links ... single button cuffs), classic black dress shoes (Cole Haan) with strings/ties, matching black dress belt with simple gold buckle, no pocket square, silk tie with pattern (south pacific island scene ... forget name of the well known artist ... beige/brown/splash of gray/black), decided to go with my two-day old beard (neat looking and felt good ... I always have some facial hair ... no kiss, Chic) ... anyway, I thought I looked pretty good ... and ... as mentioned by some of you, dressed well so I felt pretty confident and self assured ... was a little anxious when I got to the party (but then I always do when I first arrive at a party) ... started to relax a bit after seeing some friends and family and talking with them ... lots of compliments on my tie and suit (people don't often see me dressed up) ... the buffet was excellent ... you're all probably a little curious about my seeing Jamie, my ex ... my heart did skip I beat when I saw her across the room with her husband ... Chic, I took your suggestions to heart ... our eyes did meet across the room and I "nonchalantly" waved to her (as my heart was beating pretty quickly) ... told myself to calm down ... and eventually during the evening our paths did cross, so we had to engage in some conversation ... Jamie introduced me to her husband who turned out to be a very nice person (I mean for a non tennis player) ... I mentioned previously that Jamie was probably the prettiest of any of the ladies I've been with (my friends wondered why she was with ME) ... a very attractive strawberry blonde ... anway, I hadn't seen Jamie for what about a decade ... well, Jamie had put on about 50 pounds ... she was a smoker and evidently kicked the habit but in the process put on some excess weight ... as you can imagine, it was an awkward and a little uncomfortable ... Jamie was self conscious ... the weight bothered her much more than it did me ... to me, she was still Jamie one of the kindest and most caring ladies that I've known ... because it was clumsy, I thought it would be best to keep things brief and "safe" ... we ended up talking about our children ... my three children and her daughter ... she was relieved as was I when we said our obligatory "well, it was so nice to see you" ... "hope to see you again soon" ... and "take very good care of yourself" ... yeah, it was difficult but thankfully brief ... Jamie and her husband didn't stay too long ... I, on the other hand, surprised myself and some of the ladies (there were a good number of single women there) by getting a really rousing workout on the dance floor ... someone hired a DJ who played a number of great tunes from the 70s and 80s ... I REALLY enjoyed the dancing ... yeah, as someone warned, I ended up taking off my suit jacket and dancing with my loosened tie and rolled up sleeves ... it was great ... yeah, by the end of the evening I did get a bit nostalgic and reflective ... Jamie and I were at one time deeply in love ... we were very happy together, and our physical relationship was intense and very special ... she helped me through a very difficult time in my life ... just a very gentle and giving lady ... it was a case of "my bad" ... I am happy that she has moved on and is at peace with her life ... I too have moved on ... hmmm ... well, am trying to move on ... in any case, I do want to thank all of you for your suggestions and best wishes ... nice to know there are some very caring and concerned posters on TTW ... you people were great and I say "Thanks"!!

Gorecki
06-15-2010, 03:29 AM

my sugestion for thi season:

Black (with discrete patterns) slim tie with a classic collar white shirt and just touching the belt buckle...

reservoir dog style is the seasons trend!

PimpMyGame
06-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Well, I survived the Saturday evening event at the country club................... nice to know there are some very caring and concerned posters on TTW ... you people were great and I say "Thanks"!!

Davis937 - I'm genuinely pleased that you got yourself sorted for the evening. Your clothes sounded spot on and you managed an awkward moment with your ex very well.

All I can say is congratulations!

PimpMyGame
06-15-2010, 03:38 AM

Black (with discrete patterns) slim tie with a classic collar white shirt and just touching the belt buckle...

Let's go to work!

CanadianChic
06-15-2010, 03:57 AM

Good morning.Time for a cup of coffee?

Davis, I'm glad everything went well for you - sounds like a fun evening. I am curious of something though...have you always pined away for this lady or have you just been thinking of her recently because you knew you would be seeing her again? I am glad you opted for the black shoes and tie.

813wilson
06-15-2010, 06:54 AM

Davis, I'm glad everything went well for you - sounds like a fun evening. I am curious of something though...have you always pined away for this lady or have you just been thinking of her recently because you knew you would be seeing her again? I am glad you opted for the black shoes and tie.

Pigging backing a little on CC's comments about pining for the ex.....

I've got to be honest, when I first read the thread and questions about what to wear, I really thought we were "advising" someone much younger. I'm not saying I wouldn't have offered anything but I really was surprised to get the rest of the story later in the thread.

I'm glad you you looked good, that evening went well and you had a good time.

Davis937
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Hey Gorecki ... *smile* ... the fire engine already left the station ... but thanks anyway for your post ... my black belt was pretty slim so my tie actually touched (... and went a little past) the bottom of the belt ... I know ... horrors ... I'll leave the slim tie to you young and cool dudes ... my tie was appropriate but definitely not slim ... finally ... I give ... what exactly is the reservoir dog style?

Davis937
06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Davis937 - I'm genuinely pleased that you got yourself sorted for the evening. Your clothes sounded spot on and you managed an awkward moment with your ex very well.

All I can say is congratulations!

Hey Pimp ... well, thank you very much for the thoughtful post ... and I do appreciate your earlier suggestions ... you folks were all pretty supportive ... thanks!

OrangeOne
06-15-2010, 04:43 PM
what exactly is the reservoir dog style?

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041209/142618__dogs_l.jpg

Davis937
06-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Hey, Chic ... thanks for posting ... and thanks especially for your suggestions and your support ... you were spot on regarding the "no stalking / no circling" rule (... remember, just a friendly wave and nod when our eyes first met) ... and yes, the advice about keeping things light (... no professions of undying love) was good ... especially, since things got a little awkward/uncomfortable ... I'm just pleased Jamie came because no one really wants to be seen after putting on weight ... I give her some props for that ... yeah, I was feeling some pressure to do away with the brown shoes/belt ... finally, you're right again ... very rarely do I really think of Jamie (... nice loving thoughts when I do) ... but, I only started "obsessing" about her because I knew I would be seeing her ... and ... yeah, one tends to overplay and remember the really good times ... the problematic parts of our relationship were less clearly remembered ... sigh ... live and learn ... but ... life does go on ... what would we do without you wonderful ladies ... life would be sooo dreary, no?

tin
06-15-2010, 06:40 PM

have to agree on this one about the double windsor. however, if the tie is made up of pretty thick material, the knot might look too big. then, a windsor would suffice...

and wear dark socks.....

Davis937
06-15-2010, 07:15 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041209/142618__dogs_l.jpg

Hey, Orange ... got it ... am I "uncool" or what ... thanks!

Davis937
06-15-2010, 07:17 PM
have to agree on this one about the double windsor. however, if the tie is made up of pretty thick material, the knot might look too big. then, a windsor would suffice...

and wear dark socks.....

Hey, tin ... you're about 72 hours too late ... but ... I appreciate your taking the time to post *smile*!! Yeah, the consensus was that the double windsor would be too over the top ... oops, I wore my white Nikes ... but I don't think anyone noticed!

OrangeOne
06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
oops, I wore my white Nikes ... but I don't think anyone noticed!

You wore a CK suit, armani shirt, black dress shoes and belt, and white nike socks?

It's no wonder your ex went home with her husband!

;)

Davis937
06-15-2010, 08:44 PM
You wore a CK suit, armani shirt, black dress shoes and belt, and white nike socks?

It's no wonder your ex went home with her husband!

;)

Ouch ... that hurt ... like I said, no one could see the socks ... hmmm ... or could they, now ...

OrangeOne
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Ouch ... that hurt ... like I said, no one could see the socks ... hmmm ... or could they, now ...

Dude, it was meant to be wryly amusing.... ;)

Next time, socks the same colour as the shoes :P

OO.
....who always found it funny when he went to the gym after working in a suit and forgot workout socks - and has noticed it on others ever since. Sports clothes and long black socks is as funny as suits and white socks.

ProgressoR
06-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey, tin ... you're about 72 hours too late ... but ... I appreciate your taking the time to post *smile*!! Yeah, the consensus was that the double windsor would be too over the top ... oops, I wore my white Nikes ... but I don't think anyone noticed!

Hey Davis, congrats on pulling it together fashion wise, you sound like you looked good.

But....please....tell me you are joking about the white socks?

please.

Davis937
06-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Dude, it was meant to be wryly amusing.... ;)

Next time, socks the same colour as the shoes :P

OO.
....who always found it funny when he went to the gym after working in a suit and forgot workout socks - and has noticed it on others ever since. Sports clothes and long black socks is as funny as suits and white socks.

Hey Orange ... I'm just joshing you, man ... I admit that I am a fashion challenge ... you should see my tennis attire!

Davis937
06-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Hey Davis, congrats on pulling it together fashion wise, you sound like you looked good.

But....please....tell me you are joking about the white socks?

please.

Hey PR ... and thanks for all of your suggestions ... I actually used some of them, no ... and what's the big deal about the socks ... seriously ... I mean who could see them ... at least I wore socks ... sometimes I don't, you know ... *smile*

Ash_Smith
06-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Hey Davis

Glad to hear it went well and good work on the outfit - sounds like you got it about right - although I'm concerned by your description of your tie!!! :)

I've been lucky enough to get Wimby Final tickets this year so will head down Savile Row on the saturday to pick up a few bits before the final on the sunday!

CanadianChic
06-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Hey PR ... and thanks for all of your suggestions ... I actually used some of them, no ... and what's the big deal about the socks ... seriously ... I mean who could see them ... at least I wore socks ... sometimes I don't, you know ... *smile*

Everyone when you are sitting down which I'm sure happened at least once during the evening. Now Davis...you were dressed like a GQ model and you wore white socks contrary to my original post? Pffft!!

Hey, Chic ... thanks for posting ... and thanks especially for your suggestions and your support ... you were spot on regarding the "no stalking / no circling" rule (... remember, just a friendly wave and nod when our eyes first met) ... and yes, the advice about keeping things light (... no professions of undying love) was good ... especially, since things got a little awkward/uncomfortable ... I'm just pleased Jamie came because no one really wants to be seen after putting on weight ... I give her some props for that ... yeah, I was feeling some pressure to do away with the brown shoes/belt ... finally, you're right again ... very rarely do I really think of Jamie (... nice loving thoughts when I do) ... but, I only started "obsessing" about her because I knew I would be seeing her ... and ... yeah, one tends to overplay and remember the really good times ... the problematic parts of our relationship were less clearly remembered ... sigh ... live and learn ... but ... life does go on ... what would we do without you wonderful ladies ... life would be sooo dreary, no?

I do have a habit of getting these things, well most things for that matter, right. Your welcome. Funny...I always manage to hold on to the messy parts of a relationship when the person unfortunately enters my mind for some reason (such as having to peel him off the front grill of my car). I find there is less chance of ever returning to the guy if I focus on why I broke up with him to begin with. lol.

Davis937
06-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Everyone when you are sitting down which I'm sure happened at least once during the evening. Now Davis...you were dressed like a GQ model and you wore white socks contrary to my original post? Pffft!!

A GQ model ... I'm flattered ... but not quite ... not with my Nike socks!

I do have a habit of getting these things, well most things for that matter, right. Your welcome. Funny...I always manage to hold on to the messy parts of a relationship when the person unfortunately enters my mind for some reason (such as having to peel him off the front grill of my car). I find there is less chance of ever returning to the guy if I focus on why I broke up with him to begin with. lol.

Yeah, it was kind of eerie how all of your "prep scenes" worked out pretty much as you thought they would ... in fact, I was thinking about your post when I saw Jamie ... way across the room, and despite all those people there, our eyes clicked on each other ... I was going to move towards her (... but I remembered what Chic said so I cooled my moves a bit) ... worked out for the best ... that last part about focusing on some of the negatives was good ... probably explains why I get "stuck" on Jamie and you don't (... get stuck on Jamie **smile**) ... anyway, I'm really glad I was able to get your asutute perspective on things before the party and I DO thank you for your support ... thanks, Chic!

CanadianChic
06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
in fact, I was thinking about your post when I saw Jamie ... (... but I remembered what Chic said so I cooled my moves a bit)

Yeah, what can I say? It happens. ;) And you're very welcome.

LuckyR
06-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Sorry to buck the trend but I find the Windsor too bulky, I like the half Windsor. Most young folk prefer the assymtrical look though. I like symetrical.

Dedans Penthouse
06-16-2010, 06:33 PM
OP: three things

The Top: whatever "knot" you select make sure the tie knot AND COLLAR are crisp and neat

The Middle: "equator=like" , not-sloppy "waistline" that includes a "dress" belt with a tie not too long
(or too short-ending up looking like a silk bib)

The Bottom: make sure those shoes are "buffed"

Top-Middle-Bottom: CRISP!

Oh, one other thing: take a shower beforehand (trim-clean nails/hair/breath/whatever) -- lol

THAT's "sharp"

go git' 'em killer :-)

OrangeOne
06-16-2010, 06:39 PM

The neck: whatever "knot" you select make sure the tie knot/collar is crisp and neat

The middle: good, not-sloppy "waistline" that includes a "dress" belt with a tie that doesn't stray too long (or too short-ending up looking like a silk bib)

The bottom: make sure those shoes are "buffed"

Oh, one other thing: take a shower beforehand (trim-clean nails/hair/breath/whatever) -- lol

THAT's "sharp"

You missed the boat, DP, the function has indeed happened.

You also missed the one piece of key information that we all missed - don't wear white sports socks with a grey suit.

Live and learn, live and learn....

Davis937
06-17-2010, 01:26 AM
*smile* ... I thought we put this thread to bed already ... some stubborn posters, huh ... or is it that people just cannot stand the thought of me wearing Nike socks ... sorry, already, OK!

Davis937
06-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey Davis

Glad to hear it went well and good work on the outfit - sounds like you got it about right - although I'm concerned by your description of your tie!!! :)

I've been lucky enough to get Wimby Final tickets this year so will head down Savile Row on the saturday to pick up a few bits before the final on the sunday!

Hey Ash ... thanks for your good wishes and support ... and, no ... the tie was actually quite fashionable (... let me put it this way, some one else picked out the tie ... it wasn't me ... so it had to be fashionable) ... my description didn't give proper justice to the tie ... so tell me, Ash ... what does "pick up a few bits" translate to in English (... *smile ... American English) ... have fun at the finals ... please cheer loudly when Rafa wins!

Davis937
06-17-2010, 01:39 AM
Yeah, what can I say? It happens. ;) And you're very welcome.

Hey Chic ... ATTENTION: this post is just for Chic's eyes only ... don't read it OK ... thank you ... anyway, you're going to just scream, Chic, I know it ... so ... I'm apologizing to you beforehand ... anyway, I just heard a song today (funny, it's been years since I last heard it on the radio) ... the song: "I Ain't Missing You" by John Waite ... remember the opening line of the song: "... every time I hear your name ... I catch my breath" ... yeah, I really started obsessing about Jamie again ... I know ... I know ... don't say it ... damn ... anyway, it's a great song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e157Ner90 ... so, did you end up thinking about Jamie too!!

Davis937
06-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Sorry to buck the trend but I find the Windsor too bulky, I like the half Windsor. Most young folk prefer the assymtrical look though. I like symetrical.

Hey Lucky ... isn't the half Windsor asymmetrical ... the full Windsor would be symmetrical, no? Anyway, I did go with the Junior Windsor ...

Davis937
06-17-2010, 01:54 AM

The Top: whatever "knot" you select make sure the tie knot AND COLLAR are crisp and neat

The Middle: "equator=like" , not-sloppy "waistline" that includes a "dress" belt with a tie not too long
(or too short-ending up looking like a silk bib)

The Bottom: make sure those shoes are "buffed"

THAT's "sharp"

... thanks, Dedans ... not a word about my socks!

CanadianChic
06-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Hey Chic ... ATTENTION: this post is just for Chic's eyes only ... don't read it OK ... thank you ... anyway, you're going to just scream, Chic, I know it ... so ... I'm apologizing to you beforehand ... anyway, I just heard a song today (funny, it's been years since I last heard it on the radio) ... the song: "I Ain't Missing You" by John Waite ... remember the opening line of the song: "... every time I hear your name ... I catch my breath" ... yeah, I really started obsessing about Jamie again ... I know ... I know ... don't say it ... damn ... anyway, it's a great song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e157Ner90 ... so, did you end up thinking about Jamie too!!

I've gotta be honest with you Davis...nope. I did not think of Jamie once. Mind you, when I hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y0XuUCle1Q

I think of Kevin.

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iuO49jbovg

Reminds me of Len.

Now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jX7i0MG0uk

Pulls my mind to Steve.

It's okay to remember someone and feel good about the happiness they brought you..the good times. It's okay to know you loved and were loved and learned from it and became a better person from the experience. What becomes unhealthy is fixating on a past relationship (particularly someone from a decade ago who is married and has moved on) simply because you are bored. So my advice to you is to listen to this song, smile and know that you are no better and no worse off than six months ago - this is a temporary idealization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BWvqPm6GbU

CanadianChic
06-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Duplicate post.

Ash_Smith
06-17-2010, 06:54 AM
... so tell me, Ash ... what does "pick up a few bits" translate to in English (... *smile ... American English) ... have fun at the finals ... please cheer loudly when Rafa wins!

Well, my tailor of choice has a minimum order of 5 shirts so that could be a "few bits" on its own! Won't be able to pick those up on the day though as it takes a few weeks from measuring to get the sample shirt and then a few weeks after that to get the rest of the order after any tweaks are made.

Got my eye on a pair of Richard James Raw Vintage Denim jeans too!

Might be an expensive trip!

Ash

P.S. Will say hi to Rafa for you!

Tina
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I've gotta be honest with you Davis...nope. I did not think of Jamie once. Mind you, when I hear:

I think of Kevin.

And:

Reminds me of Len.

Now:

Pulls my mind to Steve.

It's okay to remember someone and feel good about the happiness they brought you..the good times. It's okay to know you loved and were loved and learned from it and became a better person from the experience. What becomes unhealthy is fixating on a past relationship (particularly someone from a decade ago who is married and has moved on) simply because you are bored. So my advice to you is to listen to this song, smile and know that you are no better and no worse off than six months ago - this is a temporary idealization.

Hey CC, your love stories are so amazing. I can't wait to hear detailed information:)

OrangeOne
06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I think of Kevin.
Reminds me of Len.
Pulls my mind to Steve.

Even though the post you were replying to was strictly for you, one hopes such a condition doesn't preclude others replying to your respone!

Anyways, jokes aside - it's funny you include an Alanis song, because your post entirely reminds me of another Alanis song - Unsent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYhhZQx0Xhg). I'm taking a punt as a good Canadian female you already know it, but for others...

Unsent Lyrics (http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/alanismorissette/unsent.html) - (Snipped)...
dear matthew I like you a lot I realize you're in a relationship
with someone right now and I respect
that I would like you to know that if you're ever single
in the future and you want to come visit me in california
I would be open to spending time with you and finding
out how old you were when you wrote your first song

dear jonathan I liked you too much I used to be attracted to boys
dear terrance I love you muchly you've been nothing
dear marcus you rocked my world you had a charismatic way
dear lou we learned so much I realize we won't be able to talk for some time

Davis937
06-18-2010, 12:21 AM

I think of Kevin.

And:

Reminds me of Len.

Now:

Pulls my mind to Steve.

Hey, Chic ... you're good *smile* ... and ... hey, I really liked your song selection -- excellent taste ... yeah, definitely some "fixation" and "temporary idealization" ... let me do my pining for another day or two, OK ... and it will be gone (... until the next time I hear a certain song or end up in a spot that was "ours") ... Chic, you are definitely a cool lady ... was wondering if you work in the human services field ... counseling, therapy, etc. ... there's definitely a very nice style that you have ...

Davis937
06-18-2010, 12:25 AM
Hey CC, your love stories are so amazing. I can't wait to hear detailed information:)

Hey, tina ... how have you been ... haven't heard from you in awhile ... thanks again for your support and best wishes ... was a nice evening!

CanadianChic
06-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Hey, Chic ... you're good *smile* ... and ... hey, I really liked your song selection -- excellent taste ... yeah, definitely some "fixation" and "temporary idealization" ... let me do my pining for another day or two, OK ... and it will be gone (... until the next time I hear a certain song or end up in a spot that was "ours") ... Chic, you are definitely a cool lady ... was wondering if you work in the human services field ... counseling, therapy, etc. ... there's definitely a very nice style that you have ...

Thank you. Yes, I suppose you could say I work in human services but no, I am not a counselor or therapist.

OrangeOne
06-18-2010, 02:12 AM
I am not a

A fact for which the population up there is truly thankful :D

CanadianChic
06-18-2010, 03:47 AM
A fact for which the population up there is truly thankful :D

Oh come on OO, where's the love? No love from down under?

Davis937
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you. Yes, I suppose you could say I work in human services but no, I am not a counselor or therapist.

Hey, Chic ... well, without putting you on the spot or blowing your cover as a CIA operative ... can you share generally the type of work you do ... as I said earlier, there's a very nice quality about you (... not unlike most of us here on TTW) ... thanks!

OrangeOne
06-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Oh come on OO, where's the love? No love from down under?

I think others are, err, laying on the love pretty thick and fast :p

(Geez, I'm almost appalled at how easy it was to counter your down under pun, assuming it indeed 'twas!)

CanadianChic
06-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I think others are, err, laying on the love pretty thick and fast :p

(Geez, I'm almost appalled at how easy it was to counter your down under pun, assuming it indeed 'twas!)

Now OO, are you having a lending of you Larrikin you.

(How close am I?)

OrangeOne
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Now OO, are you having a lending of you Larrikin you.

(How close am I?)

If you were shooting for the aussie vernacular, you were quite close. In fact, you only missed the word "me", and whoops, lending should be lend.

Now OO, are you having a lend of me? you Larrikin you.

CanadianChic
06-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Hey, Chic ... well, without putting you on the spot or blowing your cover as a CIA operative ... can you share generally the type of work you do ... as I said earlier, there's a very nice quality about you (... not unlike most of us here on TTW) ... thanks!

Thanks again Davis. Trust me, it's nothing exciting or exotic. I can't dicuss my work due to confidentiality and I tend to not tell people what I do here for they could locate me very easily (trust me when I say there are a few nutters roaming around this forum). I do my best to help people in need. Is that good enough?

Tina
06-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks again Davis. Trust me, it's nothing exciting or exotic. I can't dicuss my work due to confidentiality and I tend to not tell people what I do here for they could locate me very easily (trust me when I say there are a few nutters roaming around this forum). I do my best to help people in need. Is that good enough?

Me too, CC:)

Davis937
06-19-2010, 02:35 AM

Hey, Chic ... that's more than good enough ... I hear you ... and thanks for ... helping all of us!

Davis937
06-19-2010, 02:36 AM
Me too, CC:)

Yeah ... you've been helpful too, Tina ... Thanks!