PDA

View Full Version : so wats the bottom line on Nadals string

jorel
06-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Is he really using the RPM?

Donny0627
06-10-2010, 03:03 PM
No, it isa black version of his old string, which is said to be PHT. Although everyone knows tht he never used PHT, it was just duralast in yellow to look like PHT.

So basically, he is using Black Duralast...

VGP
06-11-2010, 05:57 AM
I thought there were two bottom lines on Nadal's string.....

babolat141
06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I thought there were two bottom lines on Nadal's string.....

this made me laugh.

Gtech
06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Not Duralast, but it is Black PHT. Now, keep in mind that the addition of the black die has changed somewhat the characteristics of the yellow PHT string. Nadal probably gets more spin now mostly from the shaped string vs. the round string he was using before.

This is not a new phenomenon, many people have felt and commented that the same string in different color plays seems to play differently. This happens even in multis, X1 red vs. natural play differently for example. Others feel a difference between AluPower in Blue vs. the Silver.

Brilliant marketing from Babolat with the "RPM Blast" name and pretending it is some super new and special stuff.

kiteboard
06-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I've played with duralast. It sounds and looks like rpm blast, softer, duller thud than duralast. Schiavone has followed Nadal with duralast/pht/rpm blast.

Donny0627
06-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Not Duralast, but it is Black PHT. Now, keep in mind that the addition of the black die has changed somewhat the characteristics of the yellow PHT string. Nadal probably gets more spin now mostly from the shaped string vs. the round string he was using before.

This is not a new phenomenon, many people have felt and commented that the same string in different color plays seems to play differently. This happens even in multis, X1 red vs. natural play differently for example. Others feel a difference between AluPower in Blue vs. the Silver.

Brilliant marketing from Babolat with the "RPM Blast" name and pretending it is some super new and special stuff.

No, he never used PHT, he used yellow duralast to make it look like PHT, so now he is using black uralast...

As for the product we are sold, i tend to believe that it is a new string, and not black pht...

racquetfreak
06-12-2010, 07:54 AM
save your money - msv focus hex plays just as well generating equivalent spin at <40% of the cost

jmverdugo
06-12-2010, 08:20 AM
A stringer that strung his racquet posted on this board that the string he was using at that particular tournament had indeed an octagonal profile, so it is not Duralast black. It could be PHT dyed black but then why he did not change to the regular PHT yellow long time ago? Based on this I think it is a totally new string, it may not be what is commercially sold, but I think it is not Duralast nor PHT.

ClubHoUno
06-12-2010, 01:23 PM
A stringer that strung his racquet posted on this board that the string he was using at that particular tournament had indeed an octagonal profile, so it is not Duralast black. It could be PHT dyed black but then why he did not change to the regular PHT yellow long time ago? Based on this I think it is a totally new string, it may not be what is commercially sold, but I think it is not Duralast nor PHT.

I agree.

I saw close up pics of his frame and strings against Lopez at Queens and his strings are definitely twisted in shape.

So Duralast is out.

Maybe black dyed PHT or he IS really playing with RPM Blast or RPM Blast = Black dyed PHT ;)

racquetfreak
06-12-2010, 02:00 PM
although he most likely was not using pht in the past, i see no reason to doubt he IS using rpm blast hex/twisted. :twisted:

logicflawed
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
+1 on MSV Focus Hex, off topic I know, but best string that I've ever used and very nice price!

LPShanet
06-12-2010, 10:19 PM

He has indeed switched from his old Duralast. From there it gets foggier, since there are several makeups of the "black string" that the pros are using. Babolat made several versions/prototypes available to their players while they were testing what would eventually become RPM Blast. Unfortunately, different players liked different ones, and so there are a few different versions out there on tour. I'm not sure which one Nadal is playing with, and I'm not sure how many they'll keep producing, but for now those using RPM Blast may be using one of several strings, not all of which went to full production.

VrafaV
06-15-2010, 12:03 PM
its pht. In one picture you can see that it says pro hurricane tour on it.

LPShanet
06-15-2010, 02:51 PM
its pht. In one picture you can see that it says pro hurricane tour on it.

That means nothing. His old Duralast used to say Pro Hurricane Tour Nadal on it.

big bang
06-15-2010, 04:58 PM

I agree.

I saw close up pics of his frame and strings against Lopez at Queens and his strings are definitely twisted in shape.

So Duralast is out.

Maybe black dyed PHT or he IS really playing with RPM Blast or RPM Blast = Black dyed PHT ;)

agreed! I spend 4 days at FO this year, a friend of mine know a few of the stringers and they confirmed that its not duralast, but a shaped poly. the problem is that you cant really tell the difference from PHT and RPM.. he also went from 15g to 16g.

Pioneer
06-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I bet he's still using duralast

I wonder though, doesn't painting a string change its playing characteristics?

mozzer
06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
No, he never used PHT, he used yellow duralast to make it look like PHT, so now he is using black uralast...

As for the product we are sold, i tend to believe that it is a new string, and not black pht...
He used TOUR Duralast which is yellow anyway. Therefore Babolat made PHT yellow to look like Nadals string (tour duralast) not the other way around.

West Coast Ace
06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
OP: so wats the bottom line on Nadals string

This is an enigma, wrapped inside a riddle; we probably will never know. Only if Uncle Toni goes broke and the family disowns him. He'll go on the Spanish version of TMZ and say "Rafa.... had a weird fixation with farm animals... and he was playing Luxillon his whole career!" :)

I think he's playing RPM. Enough commentators have said it. I'm sure they're buddies with the stringers and get the inside scoop.

West Coast Ace
06-19-2010, 12:39 PM
I wonder though, doesn't painting a string change its playing characteristics?They wouldn't paint it after the fact. They would put black dye in with the ingredients...

rovex
06-19-2010, 12:50 PM
From a pic of Nadal's racquet i have one of the strings printed with 'PHT'. I'm not certain he's using PHT but what i think we can say is that he's using either RMP Blast or PHT.

ihearit1st
06-22-2010, 08:46 AM
He's using RPM Blast 15L.

http://i45.tinypic.com/wi26vd.jpg

LPShanet
06-22-2010, 01:18 PM
They wouldn't paint it after the fact. They would put black dye in with the ingredients...

That is correct. But that dye also has an effect on playing characteristics.

LPShanet
06-22-2010, 01:19 PM
From a pic of Nadal's racquet i have one of the strings printed with 'PHT'. I'm not certain he's using PHT but what i think we can say is that he's using either RMP Blast or PHT.

The question is which version of RPM, as there are a number of them, one of which is basically PHT black. Not that it matters, as only one version is available to the public.

LPShanet
06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I think he's playing RPM. Enough commentators have said it. I'm sure they're buddies with the stringers and get the inside scoop.

The commentators are actually often unaware, and don't spend lots of time hanging out with stringers. They also don't really care that much about gear in some cases. Also, sometimes they are willfully misleading, and a number still have ties to equipment manufacturers. As such, their comments are not always to be taken at face value.

That said, he appears to be playing some version of RPM, as the string is different from PHT and definitely not his old Duralast. Still, since Babolat made multiple versions of RPM while developing it, we don't know yet WHICH version of RPM he's using. Obviously, only one of those versions ever made it to market.

LPShanet
06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I bet he's still using duralast

I wonder though, doesn't painting a string change its playing characteristics?

He isn't. That's been established already. The string he's using is a shaped string, and Duralast is not. And as already stated, they don't paint strings to change their color, they impregnate them with the dye (which also changes their playing characteristics). Whatever he's using, he definitely switched strings.

Figjam
06-22-2010, 01:28 PM
i highly doubt it, why dont they make the 15l RPM for the public??

did it occour to any of you that babolat can print any sticker they want AND color the string however they want?

for all we know it could be Duralst colored black.

why doesnt someone get a sample of it? or after they cut it out get a peice and view the cross section

untill they you'll never know

Blade0324
06-22-2010, 01:52 PM
save your money - msv focus hex plays just as well generating equivalent spin at <40% of the cost

I would actually strongly disagree with this. I think MSV focus hex is not anywhere near as good a string as RPM. I actually even prefer BC and Cyclone to MSV. Sorry for me it's not a very good string.

ihearit1st
06-22-2010, 02:12 PM

did it occour to any of you that babolat can print any sticker they want AND color the string however they want?

why doesnt someone get a sample of it? or after they cut it out get a peice and view the cross section

I've had a sample of it. I've strung his frames. Its RPM Blast. Same as Sam Stosur. Same as Tsonga was using. End of story. There's no reason to put it under a microscope. Its RPM Blast.

LPShanet
06-23-2010, 02:46 PM

It is NOT Duralast colored black. Not because it can't be done, but because we know it isn't. The string he is using is "shaped", and Duralast isn't. Duralast simply doesn't come in an octagonal configuration, and Nadal's current string is. It's already been done by two different stringers on these boards.

Also, if you scroll up, you'll see several posts that address the fact that Babolat created several different black prototypes for their players during the testing process for RPM. Different players preferred different versions, and are still playing with them. So there are several black Babolat strings out there under the moniker of RPM, even though only one made it to final production for retail. So there is no good way to know which version of RPM Rafa is using or whether it's the retail one.

rovex
06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
The question is which version of RPM, as there are a number of them, one of which is basically PHT black. Not that it matters, as only one version is available to the public.

Well, For all we know it could be a homemade string just for him.

West Coast Ace
06-24-2010, 04:46 PM
The commentators are actually often unaware, and don't spend lots of time hanging out with stringers. They also don't really care that much about gear in some cases.If it were Joe Bobo I would agree with you. But JMac has said it a number of times. John is into it. And I don't think anyone would BS John. But we can agree to disagree. And we can also disagree about the dye. I doubt any of the strings are the color they are naturally - so they all have a dye - and the companies all have to test and take that into account.

LPShanet
06-27-2010, 01:38 PM
If it were Joe Bobo I would agree with you. But JMac has said it a number of times. John is into it. And I don't think anyone would BS John. But we can agree to disagree. And we can also disagree about the dye. I doubt any of the strings are the color they are naturally - so they all have a dye - and the companies all have to test and take that into account.

The point isn't whether JM would be given incorrect info, it's that no one other than Babolat and Rafa would be able to know WHICH VERSION of RPM Blast he is using and whether it was the retail or one of the prototypes.

As for the point about color, I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the dye. What is it that we're agreeing to disagree on with respect to dye?

ClubHoUno
06-27-2010, 02:24 PM

I saw close up pictures on my 50" plasma of Nadals strings in several matches - and the old Duralast he used to use was smooth in shape and the new RPM Blast Proto is shaped/twisted in shape - so it's definitely NOT the same string, dye or not !