PDA

View Full Version : Need a low memory consuming video player

therogerfan
06-10-2010, 10:25 AM
So, as the title suggests. I need a low memory consuming media player in order to watch movies on my laptop while being on the trip. It seems to me that GOM , VLC player and windows media player all demand a lot of resurces that decrease the battery time.

sapient007
06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
it's not memory footprint that's eating up your battery time but rather your hard drive's IO/ CPU fan etc etc. get an extra battery.

therogerfan
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM
For some reason I am not able to get my laptop to work more than 1,5hrs even with the power saver mode turned on, WLAN and bluetooth turned off and antivirus software, anti-spyware, windows sidebar turned off. My laptop is rather new. I have no idea what may be the cause

jonnythan
06-11-2010, 11:20 AM
As stated, memory usage has nothing whatsoever to do with battery life.

When watching a video, CPU and the screen backlight will be, by far, your two biggest power hogs. Many newer laptops couldn't handle watching, for example, a 720p MKV for more than an hour, hour and a half - highly compressed HD video is very CPU-intensive.

What kind of laptop is it and what types of videos are you watching?

TheLoneWolf
06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
What type of video are you playing? Is it HD video? Regular video (the usual AVI downloaded from a torrent site) takes very little resources (about 35% CPU in an old 1.13 MHz Pentium III Mobile.)

What I'm trying to get to is that you need to lower the CPU frequency in your laptop to conserve energy. You can do it using Intel Speedstep, or, better yet, use NHC (Notebook Hardware Control.) This program allows you to even underclock your CPU, which will allow you to run it for longer. Find it here: http://www.pbus-167.com/

therogerfan
06-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I am using this one

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3812328&lang=en

jonnythan
06-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Turion mobile CPU with dedicated graphics and a 15" display means low battery life, I'm afraid.

What kind of video are you watching?

therogerfan
06-12-2010, 12:05 AM
I am watching DVRRips downloaded from torrent sites

CanadianChic
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
I take it the Future Shop is closed?

therogerfan
06-12-2010, 02:06 AM
I take it the Future Shop is closed?
What do you mean ?

OrangeOne
06-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Buy a mac.

:D

OO.... who hasn't yet, but will. That said, the battery life on my little asus netbook is impressive enough.

OrangeOne
06-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Side-note: This thread reminds me of the problems I used to face when working in IT. People, way too often, request things based on their assessment of a solution, instead of simply stating their problem and asking for a solution. The title of this thread is now rendered irrelevant, now that we know the real request is extending battery life.

What's the bet that now we're past the initial posts, we start to get people suggesting great, memory-light players that are irrelevant to the goal at hand? :)

I know this problem is faced in many industries, probably the medical industry is another to face it daily.

Which reminds me, it's only IT professionals and Doctors that call their clients users! :)

therogerfan
06-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Side-note: This thread reminds me of the problems I used to face when working in IT. People, way too often, request things based on their assessment of a solution, instead of simply stating their problem and asking for a solution. The title of this thread is now rendered irrelevant, now that we know the real request is extending battery life.

What's the bet that now we're past the initial posts, we start to get people suggesting great, memory-light players that are irrelevant to the goal at hand? :)

I know this problem is faced in many industries, probably the medical industry is another to face it daily.

Which reminds me, it's only IT professionals and Doctors that call their clients users! :)
You're definitely right. I started this thread to find a way to prolong battery life. Really, I've named the thread so only because this seems to be the most obvious reason. I am open to any suggestions and ideas. BTW, my friend has a 15,6" Asus laptop, but slightly less powerful. The battery on his laptop lasts around 3 hrs easily. But he runs XP

djokovicgonzalez2010
06-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Low CPU abuse would be simply Apple Quicktime. Change the default from iTunes/WMP to QT

Centered
06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Ironically, given your question, you may be able to save a bit of battery by having a ton of RAM in your machine, loading the entire video to RAM, and then playing it from that — with the hard disk asleep.

I'm not sure if any players can do that, though. And, you'd need a lot of RAM depending upon the video.

West Coast Ace
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
That said, the battery life on my little asus netbook is impressive enough.I think this is the best answer so far.

People, way too often, request things based on their assessment of a solution, instead of simply stating their problem and asking for a solution.As my one ex-boss calls it "a request masquerading as a requirement." Because people have PCs at home, they think they know more than the IT dept. - we usually dial down their network performance for a week, just to show them who's boss... :)

OP, when you're at home do you ever run off battery? Not sure how much it helps, but I was told that if you don't 'exercise' the current batteries they lose their effectiveness. As others said, may not matter with video given the stress it puts on the system.

therogerfan
06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
This week I may try turning off the Aero interface. Maybe it could be beneficial